The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Supporting your own weight? Too much grey area?

+2
Biltong
clivemcl
6 posters

Go down

Supporting your own weight? Too much grey area? Empty Supporting your own weight? Too much grey area?

Post by clivemcl Thu 03 May 2012, 9:30 am

There are many decisions in rugby matches that we can disagree with, and bias no doubt plays a part more often than not. But most of us will agree that one thing we hate is lack of consistency.

Leinster won the game on Sunday after a vital turn over from Sean O'Brien. However the same turn over time and time again has been declared as illegal by referees stating "the player was not supporting his own weight".

This isnt a debate about whether he was or not. Although I do believe he was not supporting himself when he first challenged for the ball, and then he corrected his 'posture'. Nor is this a thread about discrediting Leinsters win. This isn't what I'm interested in talking about.

I just want to open up the discussion of how can a ref correctly interpret if a player is 'resting' on the tackled player, and when he is standing on his own merit.

Should the laws me adjusted or do we just continue to leave it open to individual referees to judge as they feel. Unless these fine lines are clarified, players cannot adequately judge what they are allowed/not allowed to do.

Should we just make it black and white. If you feet are on the ground and your knees are not, you are allowed to challenge. for instance?

Does anyone know the exact wording of the law by the way?

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Supporting your own weight? Too much grey area? Empty Re: Supporting your own weight? Too much grey area?

Post by clivemcl Thu 03 May 2012, 9:31 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4GU454kk4k

About the 6minute mark here

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Supporting your own weight? Too much grey area? Empty Re: Supporting your own weight? Too much grey area?

Post by Biltong Thu 03 May 2012, 9:37 am

This might help a little.

The ruck

The Cheetahs win a turnover and the ball goes to a pod of three. The ball goes to Izak van der Westhuizen who has Davon Raubenheimer and Andries Ferreira in close attention. CJ Stander and Deon Stegmann of the Bulls are in their way and the Cheetah trio falls to ground, Van der Westhuizen with the ball and Raubenheimer and Ferreira on top of him.

The referee, more than once calls 'Reload', and then penalises the Cheetahs.

Reload?

Rugby like all activities has its jargon - a type of speech shorthand which cuts down clumsy verbiage. One of these bits of jargon in 'sealing off'. Sealing off a bad thing because it eliminates the contest after a tackle. There should be a contest because the tackler's side has defeated the ball-carrier's side by tackling the ball-carrier. They have earned the right to compete for the ball. If team-mates then fall over the ball, they seal it off and so ensure that their side gets the ball. But they have robbed the tackler's side of their right to get the ball.

Sometimes, as in this case, the sealing off occurs almost before the tackle when one of more team-mates attaches himself to the ball-carrier and goes to ground with him. In this case the attached players are Raubenheimer and Ferreira. They are referred to as hammers or sometimes snakes. They are required to release and get up and are then allowed to go for the ball or clean out or contest the ruck. That process of releasing, getting up and then competing for the ball is what is meant by reloading. It is felt that the command Reload was the shortest way to get compliance. Reload is the instruction to the hammer.

All the provinces in South Africa received fair warning of action against sealing and of the use of Reload. It's not in the law book but then neither is flyhalf and gate, but they are useful bits of jargon rather than long explanations.

The ruck

Here François Hougaard of the Bulls tackles Lwazi Mvovo of the Sharks. We have Dean Greyling arriving legally and trying to steal the ball. Then we have Steven Sykes and Dale Chadwick (1) of the Sharks removing the threat (Greyling), also legally. A great example, so far of a contest for possession. Both black players fall to the ground in the cleaning process. The one black player falls out of the phase, but the other is still close to the ball. Then we see another blue player (Chiliboy Ralepelle) arriving legally and wanting to contest for the ball, BUT we then see the Black player, Sykes, who is already off his feet, throwing his body forward and diving over the ball, to keep the blue player from stealing their ball.

The following points were made clear to the coaches at a Super 15 meeting regarding the key focus areas for refereeing (including sealing off):

* An arriving player must demonstrate positive intent to stay on his feet: leaving your feet without clearing any threat is not acceptable.

* A player who uses correct technique & ends up off his feet by removing a threat is a positive action.

Whilst removing the threat, both players (Sykes and Chadwick) were showing good technique, and after removing the threat, it was seen as a positive action, BUT, after the threat had been removed, Sykes, the Black player with the white scrum cap, demonstrated no intent to stay on his feet, and clearly sealed the ball off, thereby denying the opposition of contesting for the ball. The referee was very accurate in his penalty.

It may not exactly answer your question, but might explain the ruck a little better.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Thu 03 May 2012, 9:49 am

Cheers Billtong. Applying some of that info, I see that Clermont player was supported by another player in driving forward and then became a 'hammer'. Is it because Clermont had a 'hammer' potentially obstructing the defending team that O'Brien was given leeway in his challenge?

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 03 May 2012, 10:07 am

Clive, I am no referee, but yes, in my personal opinion the Hammers went to ground with the tackled player, they must release and get back on their feet, effectively "to reload", they never did, so O'Brein, was in fact the only player remotely on his feet.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 03 May 2012, 10:25 am

Breakdown laws have been unnecessarily overcomplicated in recent years because popular opinion dictated that there was not enough quick ball in rugby and therefore not enough attacking, exciting rugby.

In terms of rugby being entertaining nothing has changed. It has always been entertaining but now we have some really ambiguous rules that probably lead to more penalties, more kicking and more frustration.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Thu 03 May 2012, 10:28 am

Good insight Billtong thumbsup Not much interest in my thread this morning! But I do think its a little understood area of the game! Thanks for helping.

As a player myself, I know that in honesty 9 times out of ten at the ruck I am holding my body up by a hand on somebody on the ground. The idea of supporting your own weight seems ridiculous to me.

The question would be this - If you remove the players on the ground, would the challenging player fall over or remain upright?

By this criteria I say that very rarely does a player support his own weight.

I think the rule is silly. If it is a rule at all.

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 03 May 2012, 10:41 am

leinsterbaby wrote:Breakdown laws have been unnecessarily overcomplicated in recent years because popular opinion dictated that there was not enough quick ball in rugby and therefore not enough attacking, exciting rugby.

In terms of rugby being entertaining nothing has changed. It has always been entertaining but now we have some really ambiguous rules that probably lead to more penalties, more kicking and more frustration.

I agree Leinster, there is rarely a game not worth watching, the laws in itself with its ambiguity and openness to interpretation is my biggest frustration when watching rugby.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 03 May 2012, 10:44 am

clivemcl wrote:Good insight Billtong thumbsup Not much interest in my thread this morning! But I do think its a little understood area of the game! Thanks for helping.

As a player myself, I know that in honesty 9 times out of ten at the ruck I am holding my body up by a hand on somebody on the ground. The idea of supporting your own weight seems ridiculous to me.

The question would be this - If you remove the players on the ground, would the challenging player fall over or remain upright?

By this criteria I say that very rarely does a player support his own weight.

I think the rule is silly. If it is a rule at all.

Clive, I have a major problem with the fact that a player is shoved off his feet by another team mate from behind, I understand it is impossible to remian upright in such a situation unless you are supporting your weight on antoehr player, it is when you have nothing in front of you, it is hard to remian upright, and although I uderstand the law says you mustn't fall over, the question is whether you fall over, or fall over the ball, sealing it.

I think that is where the ambiguity of the law needs to be looked at.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 03 May 2012, 11:12 am

There are always grey areas at the rucks and scrums, its the nature of the game. If every ruck was reffed to the letter of the law the game would be unwatchable because of the penalty count.

Rucks are actually far more infringment free than in the amateur days were people were lying all over the place and the way to sort it out was with good old fashioned 'rucking'.

The way I see it the Clermont player is clearly holding on on the deck and O'Brien has got over the ball, from an onside position, with his feet on the ground and is trying to win, not kill the ball.

Its a 50/50 call like most of these descisions but I don't think there is any controversy about it.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 03 May 2012, 11:18 am

Very interesting insight, biltong, thanks OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 03 May 2012, 11:26 am

And people say I can't be objective.Supporting your own weight? Too much grey area? Icon_s10Supporting your own weight? Too much grey area? Icon_s10
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Thu 03 May 2012, 12:07 pm

Would it be possible to do something like this.

1. Only one person is allowed to challange for the ball from the defening side, however he wants as long as not illeagal (dark arts) so scrape the on the feet.

2. Attacking team can only tackle him and once removed the defending team can't get the ball.
or there is always allowed to be one defending team trying to get the ball.

3. Joining players can only tackle the ball getter or support and must fall off the scum and return to their side.

4. If two players players fall on the ball without contact from the other side its a pen and if three players fall on the ruck with contact you start with a line out with three players from each team and put in to the team with least players falling in

Easy to police as either a person standing will be taking contact or ready and only two players are fighting over the ball.

you could also have a five second no ball, line out

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 03 May 2012, 12:15 pm

My interpretation.

1. Only one person is allowed to challenge for the ball from the defending side, however he wants as long as not illegal (dark arts) so scrape the on the feet.

From what I understand it is only the first arrival that has rights to the all yes.

2. Attacking team can only tackle him and once removed the defending team can't get the ball, or there is always allowed to be one defending team trying to get the ball.
Same as above

3. Joining players can only tackle the ball getter or support and must fall off the scum and return to their side.
Yes, as long as they do it legally. (there must be an action of removing a player by driving into him when going off your feet, but even then you must roll away)

4. If two players players fall on the ball without contact from the other side its a pen and if three players fall on the ruck with contact you start with a line out with three players from each team and put in to the team with least players falling in
Depends what you mean by falliing on the ball, a loose ball and it is two players from either side or the same side, the player in possession must present the ball immediately, otherwise a penalty

Easy to police as either a person standing will be taking contact or ready and only two players are fighting over the ball.

Why a lineout? Not sure what you mean there.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Fri 04 May 2012, 12:16 pm

biltongbek wrote:My interpretation.

1. Only one person is allowed to challenge for the ball from the defending side, however he wants as long as not illegal (dark arts) so scrape the on the feet.

From what I understand it is only the first arrival that has rights to the all yes.

2. Attacking team can only tackle him and once removed the defending team can't get the ball, or there is always allowed to be one defending team trying to get the ball.
Same as above

Yes, as long as they do it legally. (there must be an action of removing a player by driving into him when going off your feet, but even then you must roll away)

Depends what you mean by falliing on the ball, a loose ball and it is two players from either side or the same side, the player in possession must present the ball immediately, otherwise a penalty

Why a lineout? Not sure what you mean there.

What I was saying was how you could fix it. If you let a person compete for the ball then you only have to watch for dark arts.
right now you have to
a) make sure the tackler releases the player
b) that he stays on his feet
c) that he supports his own weight
d)when has he lost being able to compete for the ball and have to take his hands out

I think make it easier by saying first person can to the ballcarrier can compete and everyone else either attacks the tackler or defends him.
Ball has say 10secs to come out and if it doesn't you start with a scrum/line out
I only said lineout as as it would be more fair and less chance of a penalty.

The line out would work like this.
You get three people from each team (a jumper and two lifters) to stand either side of the ruck spot. Team going forward has throw in.
Makes it fairer to the two teams and less resets and pens given

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down