The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Munster and Ireland flanker David Wallace retires due to injury

+3
Intotouch
The Great Aukster
Shifty
7 posters

Go down

Munster and Ireland flanker David Wallace retires due to injury Empty Munster and Ireland flanker David Wallace retires due to injury

Post by Shifty Thu 03 May 2012, 6:18 pm

http://www.rabodirectpro12.com/news/13956.php

Munster and Ireland flanker David Wallace has announced his retirement from professional rugby due to on-going problems with a knee injury.

Wallace made the last of his 203 appearances for the RaboDirect PRO12 side in the Heineken Cup quarter-final against Ulster last month after helping them win the competition in 2006 and 2008.

The 35-year-old's decision was confirmed by Munster on Thursday after he failed to fully recover from the setback suffered in a pre-World Cup game for Ireland against England in 2011.

That match proved to be the last of Wallace's 72 international caps over a career which included helping Declan Kidney's side to the Grand Slam in 2009, and going on two British & Irish Lions Tours.

Munster host Ulster on Saturday for their final regulation RaboDirect PR012 game before discovering the identity of their play-off opponents, but Wallace will play no part after finally hanging up his boots.

"Although it's disappointing that injury is forcing me to retire now, I take great comfort that I've had an unbelievably enjoyable career," said Wallace.

"I feel very lucky to have been involved in an era that has seen Munster and Ireland enjoy so much success.

"Professional rugby has exploded in popularity and changed beyond all recognition in this country since I began and I feel honoured to have played witness to its massive improvement.

"I'd like to thank anyone who has helped me and had faith in me during my 15-year professional career including family, team-mates, coaches, medics, friends and not least the supporters.

"I will be looking to step away from rugby and explore a few different business opportunities while also looking forward to being able to spend more time with my wife Aileen and sons Andrew and Harvey."
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Munster and Ireland flanker David Wallace retires due to injury Empty Re: Munster and Ireland flanker David Wallace retires due to injury

Post by Shifty Thu 03 May 2012, 6:19 pm

Sad news, all the best David Crying or Very sad
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Munster and Ireland flanker David Wallace retires due to injury Empty Re: Munster and Ireland flanker David Wallace retires due to injury

Post by The Great Aukster Thu 03 May 2012, 6:54 pm

It looked bad when Tuilagi charged him to cause the injury. What a career though!

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Intotouch Thu 03 May 2012, 7:38 pm

Nooooooooooo! I absolutely love that man! Damn it damn it damn it.

Intotouch

Back to top Go down

Post by theslosty Thu 03 May 2012, 7:51 pm

Really underrated player and has the most powerful set of legs I have ever seen on a field.
theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Thu 03 May 2012, 7:56 pm

Awh shame for him to end his career through injury, but inevitable I guess. Great player, and seriously sexy too. Thanks for the saucy dreams Wally... Wink heart

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Thu 03 May 2012, 8:00 pm

Absolutely magnificent rugby player.

Whether giving a head start to Shane Williams and still catching him, or pushing 18 stones of Ryan Jones backwards along the ground through a ruck (only time I've ever seen anything like that on a rugby pitch) - he was never anything less than brilliant.

Deserves success after hanging up the boots.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 03 May 2012, 10:44 pm

Perhaps this could be merged with the below thread:

https://www.606v2.com/t28585-farewell-wally

Nice comments guys guinness
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down