The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland Squad

+5
monty junior
Thomond
The Special Juan
6oldenbhoy
Good Golly I'm Olly
9 posters

Go down

Ireland Squad Empty Ireland Squad

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 07 May 2012, 4:03 pm

Ireland squad: Given, Westwood, Forde, Dunne, O’Shea, St.Ledger, O’Dea, Ward, Kelly, Foley, Whelan, Gibson, Andrews, Fahey, Duff, McGeady, Hunt, McClean, Keane, Doyle, Cox, Long, Walters.
Standby: Randolph, McShane, Green, Coleman, Keogh.

Ok a couple of glaring omissions. Wes Hoolahan and Jon Daly. How they haven't even made the Standby list I'll never know, I mean Paul Green who doesn't even have a club at the moment is on standby!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Ireland Squad Empty Re: Ireland Squad

Post by 6oldenbhoy Mon 07 May 2012, 4:17 pm

Jon Daly isn't a glaring omission, he would be behind Anthony Stokes and Leon Best in the selection race for me. I'm dissapointed Coleman didn't make it, especially as Stephen Hunt did. I'd say he will be one of the poorest players in the whole tournament.

Hoolahan isn't a shock, Trapp doesn't rate him seemingly. I hope and pray all the players come through the rest of the season unscathed. McShane and Green are useless and shouldn't be anywhere near a tournament of this magnitude.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Mon 07 May 2012, 4:20 pm

Stokes isn't a big game player. Lenny has made that one perfectly clear.

Hooly should be there: http://www.sportsnewsireland.com/soccer_irish/104599/

Read the bottom paragraph olly.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 07 May 2012, 4:23 pm

I am just outraged that he Hoolahan didn't even make the standby list!!! furious

How on earth Ireland can do well with some of that dross in their I will never know. Trapp's stubborness is gonna cost you big time
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 07 May 2012, 4:25 pm

ollyrules wrote:I am just outraged that he Hoolahan didn't even make the standby list!!! furious

How on earth Ireland can do well with some of that dross in their I will never know. Trapp's stubborness is gonna cost you big time

I wouldn't bet on it. When do Ireland ever let anybody down at a major championships?

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Mon 07 May 2012, 4:28 pm

Never said he was, but I'd select him ahead of Daly. Similarly, I'd select Conor Sammon ahead of him. Stokes has European football experience, and Sammon has Premier league experience.

I'd have picked Hoolahan, and on form this season would be one of my first picks for a start. However, I can't blame Trap for picking the players who helped get us there. They fit into the system Trap plays, if Trap thinks that he wouldn't done a job, then I'm not going to argue.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 07 May 2012, 4:31 pm

Good to see McLean in there, he's a great talent.

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 07 May 2012, 4:31 pm

6oldenbhoy wrote:Never said he was, but I'd select him ahead of Daly. Similarly, I'd select Conor Sammon ahead of him. Stokes has European football experience, and Sammon has Premier league experience.

I'd have picked Hoolahan, and on form this season would be one of my first picks for a start. However, I can't blame Trap for picking the players who helped get us there. They fit into the system Trap plays, if Trap thinks that he wouldn't done a job, then I'm not going to argue.

I just can't see you causing any of the teams in your group apart from Croatia any troubles. Now I'm not saying Hoolahan will do that but he has played against world class players all season and proved he can make an impact. Plus he gives the option to do something different and I just fear that you will be too one dimensional
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon 07 May 2012, 4:35 pm

Jon Daly? Why would Ireland pick some fella who plays for a shoite club in the SPL? Stokes isn't good enough either.

None of this is actually surprising. Olly, I told you yesterday Hoolers wouldn't make the squad. Fantastic player but he doesn't fit Trappatoni's style, I don't agree with Trap's style and feel a change in formation and playing style would help Ireland but he was never going to make it. Also, for all the "shoite" players we have, Ireland actually perform pretty well. I know I would have Richard Dunne ahead of JT and/or Cahill any day.
Hoolahan is Norwich's most important player, but Ireland won't play a style that suits him. Or at least Trap won't

Coleman's the most disappointing for me. He is one of the best right sided players in England, capable of playing right back and wing and does a very solid job at both. Versatility is key in a tournament and feel Trap has (once again) missed a step by not including him in the initial panel. I almost hope some fella from Dublin with a crowbar runs onto the training pitch to take out Foley.
James McCarthy would have made the standby at least but asked to be withdrawn due to his father contracting cancer.

Ireland always get one big result in a tournament, Spain better watch out... Italy can be beaten, Croatia would worry me more.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 07 May 2012, 4:42 pm

Thomond wrote:Jon Daly? Why would Ireland pick some fella who plays for a shoite club in the SPL? Stokes isn't good enough either.

None of this is actually surprising. Olly, I told you yesterday Hoolers wouldn't make the squad. Fantastic player but he doesn't fit Trappatoni's style, I don't agree with Trap's style and feel a change in formation and playing style would help Ireland but he was never going to make it. Also, for all the "shoite" players we have, Ireland actually perform pretty well. I know I would have Richard Dunne ahead of JT and/or Cahill any day.
Hoolahan is Norwich's most important player, but Ireland won't play a style that suits him. Or at least Trap won't

Coleman's the most disappointing for me. He is one of the best right sided players in England, capable of playing right back and wing and does a very solid job at both. Versatility is key in a tournament and feel Trap has (once again) missed a step by not including him in the initial panel. I almost hope some fella from Dublin with a crowbar runs onto the training pitch to take out Foley.
James McCarthy would have made the standby at least but asked to be withdrawn due to his father contracting cancer.

Ireland always get one big result in a tournament, Spain better watch out... Italy can be beaten, Croatia would worry me more.

I know you said Hoolahan wouldn't make the squad but I can't believe he isn't even on standby. I mean how on earth is Paul Green on standby when he has just been released by Derby County??????
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon 07 May 2012, 4:44 pm

It's Trappatoni, you're lucky you don't have him. Even by Trap standards he's Poopie. I think McCarthy would have been there if he didn't pull out though. Would have liked Clark from Villa non standby. Good defensive mid and centre back.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Mon 07 May 2012, 4:47 pm

I'm not saying Stokes should have been picked, I'm just saying that he is more of a glaring omission than Daly.

Ireland will set their stall out to be hard to beat. They will defend from the front, meaning creative guys like Hoolahan will be sacrificed. We need all our players on top form during this tournament, but if we are going to upset any of the big teams in our group we need our wingers playing at their best. Hopefully McGeady will learn how to whip a cross in over the next month, and McClean starts every game.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon 07 May 2012, 4:50 pm

MuckGeady has had nearly 8 years to learn how to cross hard to see him learning now. Duffers and McClean should start, McGeady would be grand on the bench as long as he is ahead of Headless chicken Hunt.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Mon 07 May 2012, 4:57 pm

I'd say we are going to have our backs to the wall in all of our group games, so I'd play McGeady and McClean on the wings, as they could help relieve the pressure on our defense. But with Trap, I'd imagine he will pick Duff and McGeady, with McClean on the bench.

How Hunt has made it over Coleman is beyond me. The guy is up there with Zubar and Tchoyi as the worst footballer in the premier league.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon 07 May 2012, 5:01 pm

Italy could be a relatively comfortable game, Ireland have beaten the recently and I think we could get at them. Spain could be a bit like Italy 94, wonder goal and then try and shut up shop!

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Mon 07 May 2012, 6:39 pm

Thomond wrote:Italy could be a relatively comfortable game, Ireland have beaten the recently and I think we could get at them. Spain could be a bit like Italy 94, wonder goal and then try and shut up shop!

Italy aren't as strong as they once were, but they will still be favourites against us. We just don't have the central midfielders required to keep possession when we're under pressure. I doubt we will have the majority of possession in any of the games. We are capable of keeping clean sheets though, we have a great goalkeeper, and Richard Dunne never lets us down. Players like St Ledger and O'Dea also seem to perform better in an Ireland shirt. Counter attacking and long ball football will be our only hope of getting results.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Mon 07 May 2012, 7:13 pm

Why is Cox in the squad? he hasn't scored all season. Atleast Stokes might offer something different, Doyle as well has been completely hopeless.

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed 09 May 2012, 8:32 pm

Yeah dissapointed Coleman is not in the squad.

Big shame(for me) that Clark is not involved.

Looking forward to the summer.

Iam confident we can do well, ie qualify from the group.

C'mon you boys in green Leprechaun

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 10 May 2012, 6:22 am

Thomond wrote:Italy could be a relatively comfortable game, Ireland have beaten the recently and I think we could get at them. Spain could be a bit like Italy 94, wonder goal and then try and shut up shop!

Erm, just a bit overly ambitious there?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 11 May 2012, 6:21 pm

Of course, it's Ireland we shoot for the moon (if we miss w're among the stars!). I think they can get out of the group, I think a shock will happen at some stage in this group so why not Ireland. I thought you would have guessed from the tone of the post that it was a bit light hearted.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Fri 11 May 2012, 6:50 pm

Can't disagree with Trapp given his record over the last 2 qualifying campaigns with frankly a dire poor of players to choose from.

It's not like he's leaving out Roy Keane or Paul McGrath, it's hoolahan and Stoke ffs.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 11 May 2012, 6:58 pm

Nobody is really complaining about Stokes, he is useless. There are some better guys he is not including and Trap is doing a poor job integrating some of the younger lads but he is doing a decent job, I still don't really like him.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Thu 17 May 2012, 7:55 pm

Best of luck to Ireland. Actually more excited about there chances than englands! Always try hard and work as a team. Should be a good competition all round though.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down