The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland's starting 10 this summer

+6
RuggerRadge2611
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
bsando
funnyExiledScot
21st Century Schizoid Man
10 posters

Go down

Scotland's starting 10 this summer Empty Scotland's starting 10 this summer

Post by 123456789 Mon 07 May 2012, 6:46 pm

This season 4 different players have played at 10 for Scotland, one of them has now retired. That leaves Jackson, Weir and Laidlaw. who do you think should start for Scotland this summer?

Laidlaw- Great use of short kicks, very talented and has a very good rugby brain although his defence and punting is questionable

Weir- Fantastic long range kicker, solid defensively and seems to know the game, his ability to get the backline moving has been questioned

Jackson- I honestly don't think he's very good at all but Andy Robinson likes him

I'd go for Weir because one area we struggled in during the six nations was clearing and Weir seems to be able to do that very well, also on occasions(the A game vs England), he can get his backline moving and he worked very well with Matt Scott who must surely be our 12.

Back to top Go down

Scotland's starting 10 this summer Empty Re: Scotland's starting 10 this summer

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Mon 07 May 2012, 9:28 pm

Nimbahs,
Jackson is Robinson's love child so he plays - end of Whistle

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 07 May 2012, 10:19 pm

Laidlaw for me. Hogg can punt if necessary, he's getting pretty good at that. It's a close call, and Weir should definitely be on the bench.

Jackson is third choice but I'd still take him on the tour.

I choose Laidlaw because I think he is the most creative player, and the most creative option. When it comes to bringing runners onto the ball, and finding space (and goal kicking), he is the best on form at the moment.

As for Scott working with Weir, obviously you can make a stronger argument for Laidlaw on that basis.

I'd be happy with either, but would pick Laidlaw initially (and Blair deserves to play 9).

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Tue 08 May 2012, 12:20 am

I'd say Laidlaw.

I like Weir, especially for his huge boot.

Jackson when on form is a good all rounder.

But Laidlaw just seems like the man for the job. He's a good leader and makes smart decisions, plus his kicking is very accurate. Focus should be on him with Weir and Jackson preferred for games where a territorial game is the aim.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 08 May 2012, 8:34 am

Weir at 10, with Laidlaw at 9, Blair on the bench, Jackson no where to be seen

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 08 May 2012, 10:19 am

For the moment, Laidlaw at 10 and Blair at 9. Works wel for Edinburgh.

We need to see if a Laidlaw 9 Weir 10 works and this summer will be a great place to test it.

As has been said before getting Scott to become nailed on at 12 is I would say the main goal to strive for this tournament, and on that basis I think keeping things familiar inside and outside him will help him adjust to Test match rugby.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Tue 08 May 2012, 10:32 am

For now I'd go for a creative axis of Blair, Laidlaw and Scott. However I'd like to see Weir get a fair amount of game time in a Laidlaw, Weir, Scott axis as I think that's the future.

Unfortunately, as we've seen before, Robbo has a tendency to view 9/10/12 as an inflexible unit. So I bet Weir will only get a shot with Cus inside him and Morrison outside.

BTW. Is Dunbar a 12 or a 13, or are we not sure yet?

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue 08 May 2012, 10:38 am

To me, Laidlaw has to be given the job and shown some proper backing. He is a quality player and i rate him highly.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain_Sensible Tue 08 May 2012, 10:46 am

nickj wrote:For now I'd go for a creative axis of Blair, Laidlaw and Scott. However I'd like to see Weir get a fair amount of game time in a Laidlaw, Weir, Scott axis as I think that's the future.

Unfortunately, as we've seen before, Robbo has a tendency to view 9/10/12 as an inflexible unit. So I bet Weir will only get a shot with Cus inside him and Morrison outside.

BTW. Is Dunbar a 12 or a 13, or are we not sure yet?

Jury is still out on which is his best position, but he looks comfortable in both. Due to the continuing love affair between most Scottish coaches and Graeme Morrison, Dunbar has had more time at 13, but he was absolutely outstanding when he played at 12 vs Cardiff after Morrison went off injured early doors. He carried well on the crash, he made half a dozen line breaks and he distributed very nicely. He utterly dominated Jamie Roberts, a totally embarrassing night for the Doc.

I’d like to see him develop at 12. I hope Townsend starts him there next season, and relegates Morrison to the bench. Right now, Matt Scott is the only long term solution we have for this problem position, so it would be good to get a bit more depth in there. Our options at 13 look a lot better, and Dunbar can always fill in there if needed.

Captain_Sensible

Back to top Go down

Post by Scot Abroad Tue 08 May 2012, 3:43 pm

The one good thing about the appointment of Toonie at Glasgow is that he’s not too keen on Morrison. At least that’s the talk I’ve heard from people in the know. I think that’ll mean we see more of Dunbar at 12 next season. I’d say his best position is at 12 and I’d like to see him there for Scotland. It’s been a long time since I’ve seen a 12 in a Scotland shirt actually break the line. It’s been a problem position for so long it’s a relief to see two young promising players coming through.

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down