The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Semi Final England Match Ups

5 posters

Go down

Semi Final England Match Ups Empty Semi Final England Match Ups

Post by robshaw4england Sat May 12, 2012 9:36 am

Leicester vs Saracens

Dan Cole vs Matt Stevens

Although not facing each other directly, both are at tighthead and will be looking to get one up in the scrum against their rival for the England starting jersey. Stevens needs to cut out the penalty count, and show the form that made people take notice a few years ago.

Tom Youngs vs Jamie George

Although both players start on the bench, they will both be looking to have a big impact when they come on. I rate Jamie George very highly and was surprised the inexperienced Youngs got the call for the EPS ahead of him.

Geoff Parling vs Steve Borthwick

Parling made a big impact for England in the six nations, and his tactical lineout ability will be tested by the former England lineout technician Steve Borthwick who amassed over 50 Caps for England.

George Skirvington (Graham Kitchener) vs Mouritz Botha

Although Skirvington is not in the England squad, he will be slightly perturbed that Kitchener was selected ahead of him, despite rarely featuring this season. Botha needs a big game to prove recent doubters wrong, whilst Kitchener will be looking to make a hefty impact off the bench and show England fans why Lancaster picked him.

Thomas Waldrom vs Ernst Joubert

Neither were born in England, or have English parents. However Waldrom, who has an English gran, is in the EPS and Joubert qualifies for England at the end of the summer due to the three year residency rule. Both are highly impressive specific no.8s who will be looking to outplay their opposite number.

Toby Flood vs Charlie Hodgson

This is the key battle for me. Both players have the ability to control a game of rugby. Hodgson got picked ahead of Flood in the six nations, so Flood may feel he needs to put in a big performance. I expect Farrell to move to 10 and interchange with Hodgson throughout the game. Whoever wins the tactical game out of the fly halves will come out on top, I have no doubt about this.

Anthony Allen vs Owen Farrell

Allen has been in wonderful form of late, and thoroughly deserves his England call up, much to his clubmate Twelvetrees annoyance, who has to settle on the bench. Farrell although wearing 13, will mostly be operating at 12, trying to show off his strong defence and distribution.

Manu Tuilagi vs Brad Barritt

There is no doubting how effective Tuilagi can be if Flood is able to utilise his strengths, always able to breach the gainline. He's also no slouch in defence either. Barritt although wearing 12, will most likely have the job of marking Tuilagi in defence, which is a big ask - but a task he has fulfilled on a number of occasions now.

Harlequins vs Northampton

George Robson vs Christian Day

Robson has finally made the England EPS, he has worked hard for it and has had a tremendous season. His ability in the lineout is also top notch. Day although not considered by many to be in England contention, will be looking to get one over his fellow lineout technician. Robson's workrate around the park is exceptional.

Chris Robshaw vs Phil Dowson

This year couldn't have gone much better for Robshaw, he led Quins to 13 unbeaten games, was selected as England captain and recently won the Aviva Premiership Player of the Season. His opposite number Phil Dowson hasn't had the greatest of seasons, however he finally made the EPS and won his first England cap, and will be looking to get one up on his England captain. Neither are out and out 7s, but keep an eye on their performances.

Danny Care vs Lee Dickson

In my opinion, if Flood is made England's first choice fly half. These two will be fighting out for the England bench spot to cover 9, as you cannot select Flood without Youngs. Dickson likes to dictate the tempo and his work-rate is very commendable. Care is more of a livewire scrum half who can make something out of nothing. Care needs a big game.

George Lowe vs Chris Ashton

I know this won't make much sense as Ashton is on the wing and Lowe is playing at centre. But both are match winners, along with Foden and Brown. Ashton is never to far from the tryline and has such a high work-rate, whilst Lowe is always there to make a try saving tackle or making incisive linebreaks in the midfield. Both have huge futures and will want to make an impact tomorrow.

Mike Brown vs Ben Foden

In my opinion, I have saved the best until last. Foden has had a quiet season by his standards, and a poor six nations. Brown is chomping at the bit to have a chance at 15 for England, his performances at Quins this season in both the premiership and the Heineken cup have never been short of exceptional. He defines the word match winner, he has the ability to make try saving tackles and scores important tries. However, Foden on his day is absolutely world-class and he will want to put down a marker tomorrow and show why he England's first choice 15.

Thoughts?

robshaw4england

Back to top Go down

Semi Final England Match Ups Empty Re: Semi Final England Match Ups

Post by EngInAuck Sat May 12, 2012 10:34 am

Good read , Care is out of the semi though , so it will be Dickson Vs Dickson , nothing like abit of sibling rivalry boxing
EngInAuck
EngInAuck

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat May 12, 2012 11:56 am

I wish I could watch either match but alas other commitments call. Good luck to to every England player, I hope you all play fantastic rugby but Quins prevail
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Sat May 12, 2012 4:27 pm

I don't think it's true that you can't play Flood without Youngs, I think a stronger point is that it's unwise you play Youngs without Flood.

Either way they operate best as a partnership, and the two appear to be back to top for, (Flood especially so). I would probably reinstate them both to the starting line-up. Be interesting to see how they (and all the England squad) go in these play-offs though.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat May 12, 2012 6:03 pm

I think the original match-ups of Farrell v Allen, Manu v Barritt are wrong.

When these two are playing with Hodgson, Farrell usually stays in his spot outside Barritt. If he does switch to the IC channell you can usually be pretty sure he is a decoy.

Quins fans keep talking down Foden's performances this season - i suppose to make Mike Brown look better. Foden was quiet in 6Ns rather than poor - England did not use their back 3. His form for Saints has been excellent.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat May 12, 2012 6:16 pm

I think Foden had a perfectly good 6N but people are putting too much emphasis on his two unfortunate and frankly not particularly blameworthy mistakes against Italy. When Foden and Brown faced off earlier in the season, Foden played better but Brown has been more consistent this season in that he hasn't had a game that can realistically be called poor and has frequently been in the top 3 performers on the pitch
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by robshaw4england Sat May 12, 2012 8:35 pm

LondonTiger did you watch the Italy game in the six nations? Foden was at fault for both of their tries and nearly cost us the game. Other than that game he had an 'ok' tournament I suppose.

robshaw4england

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down