The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gatlin

+7
ReallyReal
Super D Boon
Mad for Chelsea
djlovesyou
Strawberry Jam
lfc91
azania
11 posters

Go down

Gatlin Empty Gatlin

Post by azania Sat 12 May 2012, 11:28 am

Why has he been invited to compete (and make money) in the Diamond league events and Chambers has been shunned?

As far as I am aware, Gatlin hasn't owned up to deliberately cheating whereas Chambers has not only confessed but is doing sterling work against doping. Seems somewhat unfair to me.

azania

Back to top Go down

Gatlin Empty Re: Gatlin

Post by lfc91 Sat 12 May 2012, 11:42 am

Your completely right! Chambers seems to have been punished more harshly than everyone else even though, as you pointed out, hes been the most helpful with the fight against doping. Was quite saddening to see two drugs cheats winning last night also! Think if anyone deserves a second chance it would be DC, rather than people like merritt who seemed to get of almost scot free!

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 12 May 2012, 4:22 pm

lfc91 wrote:Your completely right! Chambers seems to have been punished more harshly than everyone else even though, as you pointed out, hes been the most helpful with the fight against doping. Was quite saddening to see two drugs cheats winning last night also! Think if anyone deserves a second chance it would be DC, rather than people like merritt who seemed to get of almost scot free!

Gatlin seems to have had a 4th chance. Merritt I can excuse. The performance he wanted to enhance was not athletics.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Jam Sat 12 May 2012, 4:43 pm

Gatlin shouldn't be competing at this year's Olympics - but looks like he will be...

There should be a four year ban in place; and needless to say, he's still clearly benefitting from the PEDs he took...IHMO...

SJ

Strawberry Jam

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Sat 12 May 2012, 5:39 pm

What do you mean in regards to merritt? What was his reason for taking the PEDS? Does anyone know if DC has even had a 100m race yet this season or is he still having difficulty finding any? I know hes had a 200 in jamaica last month.

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Sat 12 May 2012, 5:44 pm

Merritt's excuse was that he didn't take them to enhance his athletics.

Whether that's actually what happened is another matter.

One thing's for sure. He won't be taking DHEA this time. It'll be something else.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 12 May 2012, 6:00 pm

Strawberry Jam wrote:Gatlin shouldn't be competing at this year's Olympics - but looks like he will be...

There should be a four year ban in place; and needless to say, he's still clearly benefitting from the PEDs he took...IHMO...

SJ

Lets hope he doesn't finish in the top 3 at their qualifiers. He's had a 2 year ban and an 8 year ban reduced to 4 years. Who knows what he was taking during his banned period where he wouldn't have been tested? I see a heart attack victim in a few years time.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 12 May 2012, 6:01 pm

lfc91 wrote:What do you mean in regards to merritt? What was his reason for taking the PEDS? Does anyone know if DC has even had a 100m race yet this season or is he still having difficulty finding any? I know hes had a 200 in jamaica last month.

Merritt took a Winkle enlarging tablet (or a few depending...)

I dont think DC has been invited to any DL meetings. He will probably run a few low key events in eastern europe. He's been royally shafted. His ban was near on a decade ago. Most American dopers get back running in big meetings as soon as they serve their ban. Why the difference with DC?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Sat 12 May 2012, 8:00 pm

Nah, he took a banned substance and claimed it was from a Winkle enlargement thing.

Seems like a classic smokescreen to me.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 13 May 2012, 1:29 am

Gatlin tested positive for testosterone in 2006.

Merritt tested positive for testosterone in 2010.

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Jam Sun 13 May 2012, 10:13 am

As much as cannot stand Gatlin, and think its wrong, cannot see how he's not going to make it to London. I agree with the many who suggest a four year ban is necssary, and at the lest coniciding with missing one Olympics steam

And regarding Merrit - not good furious

And as far as Diamond League events go - Gatlin being invited and DC not is painful to accept steam

Strawberry Jam

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sun 13 May 2012, 9:53 pm

Chambers's problem was he basically said "if you don't cheat you can"t win" or words to that effect. Not exactly the best way to get yourself invited to big meets I guess.

As for Gatlin, the man has been caught, twice! he shouldn't be running at all anymore, let alone in with a chance at an Olympic medal, and I hope he gets roundly booed at the OG if h qualifies. The thought of both him and Blake on the podim makes me sick...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Jam Sun 13 May 2012, 10:01 pm

Chambers's problem was he basically said "if you don't cheat you can"t win" or words to that effect. Not exactly the best way to get yourself invited to big meets I guess.

As for Gatlin, the man has been caught, twice! he shouldn't be running at all anymore, let alone in with a chance at an Olympic medal, and I hope he gets roundly booed at the OG if h qualifies. The thought of both him and Blake on the podim makes me sick...

Chambers said what a lot of people were perhaps thinking or feeling. I never had a problem with him saying it - but get why a lot of athletes, commnetators, authorities and fans were probably well pi55ed off.

I have to also raise concerns about Blake. Not a fan. I'll leave it at that!

Strawberry Jam

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sun 13 May 2012, 10:18 pm

I don't have a problem with Chambers's comments. If that's how he thinks fair enough. He may well be right too for all we know. However it's not going to get organisers on your good side is it?

Blake: nah, let's not go there, I might get in trouble... I'll just echo your thoughts: not a fan

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Sun 13 May 2012, 11:26 pm

azania wrote:Why has he been invited to compete (and make money) in the Diamond league events and Chambers has been shunned?

As far as I am aware, Gatlin hasn't owned up to deliberately cheating whereas Chambers has not only confessed but is doing sterling work against doping. Seems somewhat unfair to me.

I am all in favour of Chambers making the Olympics especially in the light of the fact that the low down dirty cheat that is Justin Gatlin is allowed to go anyway. Gatlin has a filthy dirty olympic gold in his bedside cabinet. Dwain hasn't and has been dragged naked through the cobbled streets for his misdemeanours.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by ReallyReal Tue 15 May 2012, 1:56 pm

This is not an exaggeration and I've no doubt I'll offend a few people with this comment, but I just pray that Gatlin, Merrit and any other CHEATS that are known or unknown, all get serious injuries so they can never compete again and I don't mean really serious injuries, I'm not that heartless, I just mean the sort of things that would prevent top class competition ever again.

By not giving long term bans, WADA are basically condoning cheating, they're just saying, we know you've done wrong, here's a slap on the wrist, but you're free to use the advantage you've already gained to compete with those who haven't cheated, a geat message for aspiring children Rolling Eyes

ReallyReal

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Jam Tue 15 May 2012, 7:16 pm

RealReal - I don't disagree with the sentiment that there is not enough of a deterrent out there at the moment.

There needs to be a four year ban - straight up, plain and simple...ensuring that any transgression leads to missing at least one Olympics...

...that is a useful enough deterrent in my book, and would go a long way...

Strawberry Jam

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Wed 16 May 2012, 12:29 pm

Strawberry Jam wrote:RealReal - I don't disagree with the sentiment that there is not enough of a deterrent out there at the moment.

There needs to be a four year ban - straight up, plain and simple...ensuring that any transgression leads to missing at least one Olympics...

...that is a useful enough deterrent in my book, and would go a long way...

clap

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by ryanbailey Thu 24 May 2012, 7:39 pm

It is thoroughly great to see a fantastic athlete like Gatlin re-instated. He should have never been banned. Very exciting stuff with him running against the best of the best too. Just hope Gay can get well soon. As usual the 100m is hotting up to be another very exciting race. but i'm sure we'll be disappointed by some injuries or failings from the worlds best.

Bolt
Blake
Powell
Gay
Lemaitre
Gatlin
Dix
Chambers

Possible final... i'm sure we are all wishing that could be so... But it never quite works out perfectly.

ryanbailey

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Thu 24 May 2012, 7:44 pm

Yes, I agree.

I think it's fantastic that one of the most cynical cheats of recent times in back to compete.

Probably doubly amazing given he's almost certainly not even clean this time.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by ryanbailey Thu 24 May 2012, 7:54 pm

I knew we'd all pull together on this one. Still hoping Mullings will over turn his ban. ;-)

Just playing devils advocate here; wasn't Gatlins first ban for a drug that he'd taken since he was 12 years old for adhd, and he successfully appealed. His ban was cancelled. He was then later done for the well known about testosterone massaging. He obviously appealed and got the ban halved because it was his 'first strike'. What i don't get is why it went from 8 years to 4 years. Surely if it was his first it should have gone to 2 years.

People say Chambers was hard done by, seems Gatlin was done nearly as badly. There doesn't seem to be a level playing field here.

ryanbailey

Back to top Go down

Post by ryanbailey Thu 24 May 2012, 7:57 pm

djlovesyou wrote:Yes, I agree.

I think it's fantastic that one of the most cynical cheats of recent times in back to compete.

Probably doubly amazing given he's almost certainly not even clean this time.

dj, how are you certain he's not clean this time? What evidence do you have? Do you think Chambers is clean now? or Blake?

Seems a bit slanderous to just say things like that without any evidence. Just curious, what do you know. Feel free to pm me if you know and don't want to disclose over the internet.

ryanbailey

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Thu 24 May 2012, 9:18 pm

He's a serial cheat and a serial liar, coupled with the experience of doping and the fact that is actually very hard to get caught with a bit of care - I'm certain he has no moral qualms about doing it, it's just whether he's taking the risk.

Oh, and he's back and running as fast as ever.

The event is filthy to be fair. It's not just him.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by ryanbailey Fri 25 May 2012, 7:00 am

djlovesyou wrote:He's a serial cheat and a serial liar, coupled with the experience of doping and the fact that is actually very hard to get caught with a bit of care - I'm certain he has no moral qualms about doing it, it's just whether he's taking the risk.

The event is filthy to be fair. It's not just him.

Crikey DJ, you are filled with bitter hatred. You shouldn't let it get to you and just enjoy the sport for what it is. So many of the athletes are happy to have these athletes back and competing, it seems odd that fans wouldn't feel the same.

Is this a case that the fans are somehow feeling more cheated than the athletes?

ryanbailey

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Fri 25 May 2012, 1:22 pm

Bitter hatred because I don't think Gatlin should be competing in London?

Crazy stuff.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by ryanbailey Fri 25 May 2012, 6:38 pm

I didn't mention London at all.

I'm probably reading too much into your hard words. They just come across unnecessarily angry, and with quite a lot of prejudice and hatred. It seems a bit funny to be honest.

ryanbailey

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Fri 25 May 2012, 6:59 pm

You're the one with problems.

I call an obvious cynical cheat a cynical cheat and you fly off the handle and start using words like 'prejudice' and 'hatred'. Kinda reminds me of 606 when any time somebody criticised certain athletes, there would be howls of derision.

Get some perspective please.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by ryanbailey Fri 25 May 2012, 7:17 pm

djlovesyou wrote:You're the one with problems.

I call an obvious cynical cheat a cynical cheat and you fly off the handle and start using words like 'prejudice' and 'hatred'. Kinda reminds me of 606 when any time somebody criticised certain athletes, there would be howls of derision.

Get some perspective please.

dj please don't make it personal. I was just surprised by your reaction that is all. Am happy to have a nice discussion without all the personal jibes and digs at the way each other discuss and pick whole. More interested in your point of view rather than you just trying to get one over on me.

Why are you so angry with Gatlin competing? I think it is great for the sport. He is an excellent competitor, athlete and brings tons of entertainment. He's good natured and fun and charismatic. He's done his time and repented.

ryanbailey

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Fri 25 May 2012, 7:23 pm

Right. Ok.

You say I'm filled with bitter hated and call me prejudiced, and then you come back and say it's me that's making it personal after I suggest you might have problem or two.

So essentially you're happy to have a nice discussion as long as I agree with every word you say? And you're allowed to call me whatever you want but the discussion only becomes 'personal' if I respond.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by ryanbailey Fri 25 May 2012, 7:27 pm

Sorry if i came across that way. IT was more an observation than meant as an insult. I didn't mean at all personally, just the wording of your post

"He's a serial cheat and a serial liar, coupled with the experience of doping and the fact that is actually very hard to get caught with a bit of care - I'm certain he has no moral qualms about doing it, it's just whether he's taking the risk.

The event is filthy to be fair. It's not just him."

I do apologise, if you took my response personally. Please believe me, i'm not flying off the handle either. Just surprised at such negative reactions to athletics on an athletics board. I personally love athletics and haven't got a bad word to say about the sport.

ryanbailey

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Fri 25 May 2012, 7:31 pm

Whatever.

There's only one conclusion you can come to when someone calls you 'full of bitter hatred' and 'prejudiced', especially given who we were talking about.

You were implying racism, and forgive me for being unhappy about that.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by ryanbailey Fri 25 May 2012, 7:36 pm

djlovesyou wrote:Whatever.

There's only one conclusion you can come to when someone calls you 'full of bitter hatred' and 'prejudiced', especially given who we were talking about.

You were implying racism, and forgive me for being unhappy about that.

No not at all. I didn't mean racism. I meant you seemed very negative against a person that you know nothing about really (maybe i'm being presumptuious, do you know Gatlin?). Your words were very negative towards a sport that you spend a lot of time posting/talking about.

ryanbailey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 25 May 2012, 11:42 pm

Hello

Very Happy

I..am..the...emancipator

ghost

emancipator - universal and intergalactic expert on all matters.

Back to top Go down

Post by english_osprey Tue 29 May 2012, 12:54 pm

Oh ryan, ryan, ryan

Back up to your old tricks I see?

Any criticism real or implied of black athletes and you immediately play the race card
What is wrong with you? Don't you see how cowardly and stupid that is?

No true UK athletics fan can possibly be racist. A very large proportion of our team is black and I wish them and everybody else in it the very best at the Olympics. (especially you Jess)

The point that DJ was making which presumably you are too ignorant to appreciate is that Gatlin is a cheating conniving scumbag who has appropriated the medals and prize money due to his fellow competitors in the past in an entirely cynical way.
What part of that don't you follow?

english_osprey

Back to top Go down

Post by ryanbailey Tue 29 May 2012, 5:28 pm

english-osprey you've clearly not read the trail of posts.

There was no accusations of racism, and there was a misunderstanding between myself and DJ. That was cleared up, if you care to read the above posts.

I truly do not understand why you've come on this board trying to be-little me as usual. What is your problem?

Why do you insult me with 'presuming i am too ignorant'... what kind of a person are you? and who the heck are you to come on a board and write this stuff????

Oh son... you make me laugh out loud. Just drop the dead donkey now.

ryanbailey

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Tue 29 May 2012, 6:01 pm

It wasn't really cleared up as such.

You offered a willy-nilly explanation and I said whatever.

As far as I'm concerned, I was never involved in a misunderstanding. I felt I understood completely.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by ryanbailey Tue 29 May 2012, 6:17 pm

Hi dj,

The misunderstanding was that you thought i was accusing you of racism, when i never even implied that let alone mentioned it.

All i was stating was how surprised i was by your immense negative reaction. I can understand minor negative reactions to this, but you response seemed to be really personal, like Gatlin set out to hurt you. your reaction didn't seemed deserved from an exterior perspective.

I was more curious why you were hurt so bad by Gatlin's situation.

[i]I hope i've said that clearly enough without any insult meant here, i said this with as much kindness as possible. People on this board seem to be very aggressive and filled with too much hate.[/i]

ryanbailey

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Tue 29 May 2012, 6:37 pm

I only called him a cynical cheat and you flew off the handle.

He cheated and he did it cynically, therefore he's a cynical cheat. I don't see how this is an 'immese negative reaction'.

As far as I'm aware, he's never actually admitted wrong-doing, despite all evidence being against him. So it would have been more accurate to have called him a lying, cynical cheat.

The only out of proportion reaction is yours and your almost hysterical defense of a cheat.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by ryanbailey Tue 29 May 2012, 6:54 pm

Ok, I did say i was playing devils advocate on this one. Wink

Glad that is cleared up now though.

ryanbailey

Back to top Go down

Post by ReallyReal Thu 31 May 2012, 3:31 pm

djlovesyou wrote:He cheated and he did it cynically, therefore he's a cynical cheat. I don't see how this is an 'immese negative reaction'.

As far as I'm aware, he's never actually admitted wrong-doing, despite all evidence being against him. So it would have been more accurate to have called him a lying, cynical cheat.

Gatlin truly is a serial liar and a cynical cheat and as such, he should never be allowed to compete with any clean living athletes ever again, every time he earns 1 penny from competition, he steals that penny from someone who CHOSE to go about things the correct way, without trying to gain an unfair advantage.

I stand by my previous comments, on this article and elsewhere, that any cheats should get fair punishments and anything less than a 4 year ban for attemting to cheat by taking PEDs is simply not fair and anyone who has cheated twice needs to get a permanent ban, but as WADA, IOC and just about everyone else who can set bans seem to be ok with cheats (by giving them token punishments), I sincerely hope ALL cheats get serious enough injuries to prevent them from ever competing at the top level again.

ReallyReal

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 02 Jun 2012, 1:36 am

WADA to tighten their sanctions a little to include banning from one cycle of the Olympics for those found to be taking drugs: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18303702

" ... Wada's proposed change to its code means it would be very similar to the IOC's rule 45, which was also outlawed at the Court of Arbitration for Sport last year following a challenge from the American 400m runner LaShawn Merritt.

He argued successfully that the rule acted effectively as a second sanction - a breach of the original Wada code.

Article 10.15 of the latest draft of the new Wada code now makes clear the provision for banning athletes from the next Olympic Games. ..."

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 02 Jun 2012, 2:51 am

Interesting move. After the way the lawyers demolished the previous one (and the BOA rule) I presume they have had this proposal thoroughly vetted by their own legal team first ...

Even so , I predict a few lawyers are going to get richer in the inevitable long drawn out process that will follow the introduction of the new code.

Wonder if they'll have it sorted in time for Rio ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sat 02 Jun 2012, 2:54 am

Honestly let him shoot up testosterone, hgh, gtrh, epo, windolene he won't beat bolt.

Knocked .4 off in a week, drug cheats couldn't do that in a lifetime.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by english_osprey Sat 02 Jun 2012, 11:47 am

really
couldnt agree more

ent
If this is irony it's very good

english_osprey

Back to top Go down

Post by ryanbailey Sat 02 Jun 2012, 5:17 pm

Ent wrote:Honestly let him shoot up testosterone, hgh, gtrh, epo, windolene he won't beat bolt.

Knocked .4 off in a week, drug cheats couldn't do that in a lifetime.

It was 0.28, but who's splitting hairs?

Plenty of 100m sprinters vary 0.28 week by week. Especially given conditions. Ostrava was a strange meet, barring VCB most of the events were slow.

Agree with drug cheats not knocking 0.4s off a 100m PB in a lifetime though.

ryanbailey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum