The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Super XV roundup: Week 12

3 posters

Go down

Super XV roundup: Week 12 Empty Super XV roundup: Week 12

Post by Biltong Sun May 13, 2012 11:30 pm

Is there a resurgence in Australia, are the boys from down under fed up with clogging up the bottom of the log, have they eliminated their weakest links, or are the individuals standing up to be counted?

Well I think it is to early to answer all those questions with conviction, but something has changed. Kurtly Beale has definitely proven over the past two weekends that if Quade Cooper doesn't hit the ground running when he returns, Deans will have no reason to doubt that Beale could be the incumbent flyhalf for the Welsh Test series. Genia is hitting form, so at least the pivotal Australian Half Back pairing will once again provide a big challenge during the June test window.

What has happened to the leading New Zealand franchises? Well the Highlanders, Crusaders and Chiefs have all decided to take the weekend off, perhaps the biggest upset for the season was the incredible unlikely win the Rebels managed over the 7 time Champions Crusaders. The Blues however got their second win of the season over a pathetically poor Lions side, it seems this season each team earns 12 points for byes, twice for having an actual bye, and once for the "virtual" bye when running out against the hapless Lions Franchise.

Where are the South African Franchises? Well both the two leading South African Franchises, the Bulls and Stormers had themselves some highly motivated opposition to face. The Bulls scraping a nervous and late win against a game waratahs team, and the Stormers very nearly got more than they could handle against a second half charge from the Cheetahs which once again made me reminisce about days gone by when Currie Cup was the be all and end all of SA domestic rugby.

It was a thoroughly enjoyable match, the Stormers seemed in total control at half time, leading by 16-0, but whatever Naka Drotske said at half time inspired 40 minutes of the most uncompromising rugby this season, big hits, ferocity, and some serious physicality must have had the players of old sit upright and take note.

The Sharks seemed to have turned a corner, beating the Force with consummate ease and running in 6 tries.

With a few upsets this weekend the Log makes for interesting reading. Log excluding bye points.

Overall log

Spoiler:

Conference logs

Spoiler:

This is how I would suggest the final log standings would look.

Stormers 55
Crusaders 55
Bulls 54
Chiefs 52
Sharks 49
Brumbies 47
Highlander 45
Reds 45
Hurricanes 44
Cheetahs 34
Waratahs 33
Force 23
Rebels 20
Blues 18
Lions 12

Last edited by biltongbek on Mon May 14, 2012 3:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Super XV roundup: Week 12 Empty Re: Super XV roundup: Week 12

Post by Taylorman Mon May 14, 2012 2:56 am

Chiefs did have an odd one. In their two losses this year they shot out to 10+ odd leads then got overwhelmed by several quick tries themselves.
Overall I was impressed by nzs showings on an individual front. Saveas try suggests he has a big future now hes starting to have some confidence. Cruden and sbw continue to impress as nzs likely inside pair. Saders will be back. They did look flat and need to relearn the art of scoring tries and applying more pressure.

Oz had a good round and so did SA sides Sharks particularly impressive. Always knew bulls would edge the tahs in those last few minutes. Missed the cheetahs match as id stayed up for the others. Must catch the replay though i didnt expect a goosen less side to ruffle the stormers as much as they did.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Tue May 15, 2012 11:36 am

I don't know about the Crusaders. I wonder how good a coach Blackadder is given the material he has to work with.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down