The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

JDS v Mir Primetime ep 1

2 posters

Go down

JDS v Mir Primetime ep 1 Empty JDS v Mir Primetime ep 1

Post by talkingpoint Sun 13 May 2012, 2:36 pm

http://www.ufc.com/media/ufc-primetime-901

Great episode, love the primetime documentaries they always make a big fight seem that little bit bigger and I love seeing into the gyms and lives of the fighters. Mir is such a paradox imo, he's the most decorated submission fighter in the heavyweight division and has broken more limbs than any other fighter and yet he trains around his children! He's such a family man and yet his major hobby are guns and shooting on firing ranges (albeit he says its his obligation as a husband and father). It just seems where as many people try and shield their children from violence, Frank does the opposite LOL. Saying that I do think Frank is more content now as a father, he's said before he doesn't want to travel to fight because he loves being at home with his family and I genuinely think he's accomplished enough now that he's not driven by his ego.

What I found very strange is just how personally JDS took the Big Nog defeat, he spoke alot about his fight in nationalistic terms being Brazil v America and how he is out for revenge! Correct me if I'm wrong but i don't think Frank ever made his fights with Big Nog personal or anything to do with national pride? I know its just further fuel to motivate JDS but I was alittle surprised he spoke so disrespectfully and aggressively towards Mir as he's always come across as a gentleman before.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

JDS v Mir Primetime ep 1 Empty Re: JDS v Mir Primetime ep 1

Post by Guest Mon 14 May 2012, 9:33 am

I liked the episode, first time I've seen one of these so look forward to the next one.

I was a bit surprised with JDS's comments about revenge & Brazil vs USA, especially like you say he always comes across as a decent, respectful guy. I find it quite strange that they don't rate Mir that highly, especially Big Nog who's lost twice to him, saying his ground game is simple! Neither think he's a fighter, more a good martial artist that fights. I definitely think both JDS & Big Nog have nastier sides to them than Mir & than are portrayed, JDS definitely has that look in his eye especially at the start of a fight.

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Mon 14 May 2012, 10:18 am

I would probably agree that Mir is more a martial artist than a fighter - Mir always speaks about himself as a martial artist and his background is in traditional MAs - his dad ran a Kempo Karate dojo so he grew up with TMAs. That being said Mir definitely has that killer instinct otherwise he wouldn't be able to have snapped so many bones!!!

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 14 May 2012, 11:53 am

talkingpoint wrote:I would probably agree that Mir is more a martial artist than a fighter - Mir always speaks about himself as a martial artist and his background is in traditional MAs - his dad ran a Kempo Karate dojo so he grew up with TMAs. That being said Mir definitely has that killer instinct otherwise he wouldn't be able to have snapped so many bones!!!

I didn't realize I thought his background was in wrestling and then juijitsu. He makes a couple of good remarks about submitting people & what happens if you don't tap. I can't believe Big Nog can say getting his arm broken didn't hurt! He doesn't seem to be able to accept the two defeats to Mir or maybe its all just part of the program & to hype the fight a little more.

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Mon 14 May 2012, 12:37 pm

Mir wrestled in high school but he also did Kempo Karate from an early age in his father's dojo. He has a black belt in both Kempo Karate and BJJ. Regarding Big Nog I think it's probably a bit of both - the film crew just so happened to be there when Big Nog paid JDS a 'surprise' visit!? It was probably arranged by the primetime makers to add abit of spice to the programme.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon 14 May 2012, 1:35 pm

All these types of programs are hyped and things tweaked to add more bite.

I really like Big Nog but he's not suitable to criticise Mir considering what happened both times they fought!

Would be happy for either JDS or Mir to be champ but would be routing for Mir.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Mon 14 May 2012, 3:08 pm

thinking tactics what should Mir do as challenger? Imo Mir needs to put pressure on JDS early, with some stiff hard jabs (but being cautious not to swing for the fences and allow JDS the opening to counter punch) before going for the takedown and looking for the submission. The longer JDS stays on the ground trying to defend subs the more his energy will be drained and he can't KO Mir. JDS proved just how dangerous he can be against Valesquez, TKOing him in 64 seconds, so any hesitation on Mir's part will be costly.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 14 May 2012, 5:59 pm

talkingpoint wrote:thinking tactics what should Mir do as challenger? Imo Mir needs to put pressure on JDS early, with some stiff hard jabs (but being cautious not to swing for the fences and allow JDS the opening to counter punch) before going for the takedown and looking for the submission. The longer JDS stays on the ground trying to defend subs the more his energy will be drained and he can't KO Mir. JDS proved just how dangerous he can be against Valesquez, TKOing him in 64 seconds, so any hesitation on Mir's part will be costly.

Personally even though a great win for JDS I don't read to much into it or any quick win in that manner. Its those longer tougher fights where you find out more about a fighter, his strengths, his weaknesses & how he utilises & overcomes them respectively. It was a good punch but Cain tried ducking it & was caught on the temple, I don't think in a rematch it would end the same way.

With regard to tactics I agree with you, he must use the jab to pressure JDS & not let him get into his stride, keeping his hands high & maybe some leg kicks to take him off balance or to slow him. The ground is probably the best place to take this fight for Mir but as is often said in MMA anything can happen & tactics can go out the window as well as being hard (for us) to work out. Really looking forward to this one.

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Mon 14 May 2012, 7:52 pm

I just don't see this fight going past two rounds. JDS is a heavy hitter and Mir is vulnerable at times, I just hope Mir doesn't get into a stand up war hoping to beat JDS at his own game. He should stick to his strengths and JDS really hasn't been tested on the ground yet so would be great to see how the champion reacts.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Sun 20 May 2012, 12:20 pm

episode 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EpM9DlRl4U

Enjoyed this episode also, again there was a big emphasis on the poverty of Brazil and MMA's role in helping kids out of poverty and a life of drug crime; and again there was a big emphasis on Frank's family. I just hope Frank doesn't try to think too much in the fight itself; I know he's a very cerebral fighter but with JDS' explosiveness he needs to be aggressive and take the fight to JDS.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down