The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Well done Man City....but

+16
Ent
Liam
Dave.
azania
Josiah Maiestas
Crimey
Thomond
cherriesfna
CaledonianCraig
Duty281
harryspiv
GSC
hampo17
Gregers
Fernando
ONETWOFOREVER
20 posters

Go down

Well done Man City....but Empty Well done Man City....but

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun May 13, 2012 5:22 pm

please do not try to compare what you have done this season to what Man Utd, Arsnal, and Liverpool have done over the years. We have built teams that people will remember for being consistant and entertaining. Man Utd was a once big club on its knees when SAF arrived. After 5 years of hard toil he built the club you see today with 15 years of success. Wenger took over an Arsnal team that badly wanted to challange for the title again and bring joy to the Arsnal fans and that is what he did. Liverpool the once greatest team in the world started from humble beginings and played a style of football that was loved by many.

Great names like Shankly, Paisly, Busby, Henry, Cantona, Keagon, Dagleish, Vierra, Keane, Rush, Wright, Adams, Graham, Best, Law, Charlton, Limpar, Beckham, Ronaldo, Giggs the list of managers and players associated with these 3 great BRITISH clubs will ring loud throughout the years. These clubs were not sold out to rich Arab zillionaires oh no they toiled and grafted to get where they are.

So well done City and remember money can by success for a while but there is 1 thing it cannot buy and that is HEART.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Well done Man City....but Empty Re: Well done Man City....but

Post by Fernando Sun May 13, 2012 5:24 pm

You should of really looked at the scores before posting this Laugh

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun May 13, 2012 5:27 pm

My dear friend Fernando it does not matter what transpires today my point is valid. We should remember what these clubs have done for BRITISH football.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Sun May 13, 2012 6:13 pm

Ouch its sour over here! Wink

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sun May 13, 2012 6:16 pm

While your point is true it is in fact pointless saying this anymore, owners don't want a team built over 5 years they want instant succes. Ferguson said himself had been starting at United now and had the same start he did all those years ago he'd get sacked.

Credit to City they have been great to watch this season, only bitter United fans will say they aren't entertaining. Deserve to be champions for not giving up at any point and will only go from strength to strength.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun May 13, 2012 6:18 pm

Ferguson was very close to getting sacked, 1 FA cup game away if memory serves
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 13, 2012 6:21 pm

Graeme Swann's Cat wrote:Ferguson was very close to getting sacked, 1 FA cup game away if memory serves

Notts Forest away if I remember correctly. Mark Robins is still dining out on the goal even now!

Back to top Go down

Post by harryspiv Sun May 13, 2012 6:21 pm

I'd also like to add to your point, with all these sheiks and arabs buying the top clubs and hoping to win trophies instantly by buying the best players available, what does this mean for minnow clubs in the lower divisions?

For me this season has been all about Norwich and swansea. What they have done over the past few seasons and especially this season is a far greater achievement than what city have done IMO.

harryspiv

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun May 13, 2012 6:23 pm

Before I say what I want to, I suppose I should say that I don't support Man United or Man Ciry. I don't even support any Premier League team, just a humble side in the Blue Square South.

Firstly, what a finish to the season!! True fairytale stuff that, I can't imagine what it feels like to be a true Man City fan at that exact moment Aguero scored (not a plastic City fan like the few that were leaving around the 88th minute).

Secondly, Joey Barton is a d**k. Really is. He's the captain, meant to lead by example and he could have got his team relegated. Hopefully a hefty 10+ game ban will be dished upon him by the FA.

Rest assured, this isn't the start of a new empire. It's Man City buying the league like Blackburn did all those years ago. They don't have the commercial model like United or the sustainable club like Arsenal do. Once the Arabs go, City go back to being mid-table, simple as.

Let's be honest, this was the poorest Premier League in a while. Not in terms of excitement, but in terms of quality. United are rebuilding and struggled with injuries, Arsenal appear to be on the decline, Liverpool are fading fast and Chelsea had a dodgy manager for the most part. City threw all that money on players and they manage to win the title on GD.

Will City dominate next season? It can only get tougher.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 13, 2012 6:37 pm

Bit un-gracious.

This is just the beginning for Man City. They have structure. No-one is making comparisons. Mancini has done a superb job and to come out of it like this makes it the more remarkable. Mancini will be first in the office tomorrow to work on a long term plan to ensure that unlike my club Blackburn that they can work on this and make sure it's not a one season wonder.

I am sure Man City fans will want more trophies.

Surprised you missed Chelsea off. What Mourinho did there was nothing short of stunning.

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun May 13, 2012 8:39 pm

A fantastic end to the season of that there can be no doubt and congratulations to Manchester City. No doubting that City's financial backing has helped them to get where they are. However, and sadly enough that has been the case in the EPL now for at least two decades. Those that have the money contend those that don't don't. A sad reality really and I don't see that changing. Sure fans of 80% of the clubs in the EPL can dream but that is all it will remain.....a dream.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by cherriesfna Sun May 13, 2012 8:41 pm

Duty281 wrote:Before I say what I want to, I suppose I should say that I don't support Man United or Man Ciry. I don't even support any Premier League team, just a humble side in the Blue Square South.

Firstly, what a finish to the season!! True fairytale stuff that, I can't imagine what it feels like to be a true Man City fan at that exact moment Aguero scored (not a plastic City fan like the few that were leaving around the 88th minute).

Secondly, Joey Barton is a d**k. Really is. He's the captain, meant to lead by example and he could have got his team relegated. Hopefully a hefty 10+ game ban will be dished upon him by the FA.

Rest assured, this isn't the start of a new empire. It's Man City buying the league like Blackburn did all those years ago. They don't have the commercial model like United or the sustainable club like Arsenal do. Once the Arabs go, City go back to being mid-table, simple as.

Let's be honest, this was the poorest Premier League in a while. Not in terms of excitement, but in terms of quality. United are rebuilding and struggled with injuries, Arsenal appear to be on the decline, Liverpool are fading fast and Chelsea had a dodgy manager for the most part. City threw all that money on players and they manage to win the title on GD.

arsenal are not declining
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sun May 13, 2012 8:47 pm

Duty281 wrote:Before I say what I want to, I suppose I should say that I don't support Man United or Man Ciry. I don't even support any Premier League team, just a humble side in the Blue Square South.

Liverpool faded about 3 years ago!

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun May 13, 2012 9:12 pm

When they came second with a record points haul?

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun May 13, 2012 9:12 pm

and its AGUEROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! cake
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun May 13, 2012 9:24 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:please do not try to compare what you have done this season to what Man Utd, Arsnal, and Liverpool have done over the years. We have built teams that people will remember for being consistant and entertaining. Man Utd was a once big club on its knees when SAF arrived. After 5 years of hard toil he built the club you see today with 15 years of success. Wenger took over an Arsnal team that badly wanted to challange for the title again and bring joy to the Arsnal fans and that is what he did. Liverpool the once greatest team in the world started from humble beginings and played a style of football that was loved by many.

Great names like Shankly, Paisly, Busby, Henry, Cantona, Keagon, Dagleish, Vierra, Keane, Rush, Wright, Adams, Graham, Best, Law, Charlton, Limpar, Beckham, Ronaldo, Giggs the list of managers and players associated with these 3 great BRITISH clubs will ring loud throughout the years. These clubs were not sold out to rich Arab zillionaires oh no they toiled and grafted to get where they are.

So well done City and remember money can by success for a while but there is 1 thing it cannot buy and that is HEART.

They showed loads of heart not to give up. The look on Fergie's face was priceless. And the look on Phil Jones's face,

But don't be bitter old bean.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sun May 13, 2012 9:27 pm

Crimey wrote:When they came second with a record points haul?

More so the 09/10 season. That's when the decline started. They hit their peak in 08/09

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Sun May 13, 2012 9:28 pm

I see, a Blue Moon a-rising.....

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun May 13, 2012 9:30 pm

Thomond wrote:
Crimey wrote:When they came second with a record points haul?

More so the 09/10 season. That's when the decline started. They hit their peak in 08/09

I agree, losing Alonso was always the killer blow. He played so many roles in the side that taking him out was like taking out a huge lump of foundation in a building. It wasn't just what he did, it was more that he allowed Gerrard to push forward and be attacking and meant the defence had a good shield.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Sun May 13, 2012 9:32 pm

Gutted as a United fan but I'm not bitter. Who would complain about investment like City have had, and they could never catch up with us without that sort of investment.

They have won the big games this season, played the best football and although they broke my heart with that late finish I always fancied them to win even at 2-1.

United need to strengthen next year if they want to compete. The younger players have learned some harsh lessons this year: Basel, Blackburn (Home), City home and away and Everton. They will be better player for it, because the simple fact is they were too complacent throughout the season and Vidic was a big miss, he is someone that always leads from the front and we missed him big time this season.

Desperately need strengthening in the summer with RB, LB, CDM, CAM and a striker. That's not going to come cheap, apart from Kagawa who I think due to his contract we can snap up for 7m. But we played City, hard to watch in the end and was depressed for a good hour but hey, its football, its the best sport in the world and we'll go again next season. MUFC

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sun May 13, 2012 9:33 pm

Sure United didn't invest in players at all...... Both sides have spent money, City have spent it on more wise investments.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sun May 13, 2012 9:42 pm

Thomond wrote:Sure United didn't invest in players at all...... Both sides have spent money, City have spent it on more wise investments.

Not sure I'd call spunking £20million on messrs Barry, Milner, Lescott, Kolarov etc wise investment.

God knows what any other manager/club would have been able to accomplish with Man City's financial backing.

Last edited by Ent on Sun May 13, 2012 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sun May 13, 2012 9:43 pm

Lescott has had a great season, become one of the best centre backs in the league.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 13, 2012 9:45 pm

And Barry has been a mainstay in a title winning side also.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sun May 13, 2012 9:45 pm

hampo171 wrote:Lescott has had a great season, become one of the best centre backs in the league.

Oh please, he plays behind 2 holding midfielders and is full of errors.

City have some really good players but to suggest they have made wise investments when they threw £20million plus at any decent and available player is ridiculous.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sun May 13, 2012 9:52 pm

Ent wrote:
Thomond wrote:Sure United didn't invest in players at all...... Both sides have spent money, City have spent it on more wise investments.

Not sure I'd call spunking £20million on messrs Barry, Milner, Lescott, Kolarov etc wise investment.

God knows what any other manager/club would have been able to accomplish with Man City's financial backing.

30 million on Berbatov and wasn't it near 30 on Anderson too? They are both similar sides to be honest. Both spend a lot of money and both overspend on some players.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun May 13, 2012 9:55 pm

Sorry but any football fan of an EPL Championship winning side from the last 20+ years are in no position to moan about City buying the title as that is exactly what United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Blackburn have done in the past.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Sun May 13, 2012 10:02 pm

We need to bring back the Old First Division, Saint and Greavsie, Elton Welsby and restore The Lady to being the championship trophy.

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sun May 13, 2012 10:22 pm

Thomond wrote:
Ent wrote:

30 million on Berbatov and wasn't it near 30 on Anderson too? They are both similar sides to be honest. Both spend a lot of money and both overspend on some players.

I know we spend a lot but you cant compare £500 million in transfers in 4 years compared to £140 million. Never mind the wages city pay out.

Please note I never said we invested money wisely just do not pretend city have.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Sun May 13, 2012 10:29 pm

martyr_94 wrote:Gutted as a United fan but I'm not bitter. Who would complain about investment like City have had, and they could never catch up with us without that sort of investment.

They have won the big games this season, played the best football and although they broke my heart with that late finish I always fancied them to win even at 2-1.

United need to strengthen next year if they want to compete. The younger players have learned some harsh lessons this year: Basel, Blackburn (Home), City home and away and Everton. They will be better player for it, because the simple fact is they were too complacent throughout the season and Vidic was a big miss, he is someone that always leads from the front and we missed him big time this season.

Desperately need strengthening in the summer with RB, LB, CDM, CAM and a striker. That's not going to come cheap, apart from Kagawa who I think due to his contract we can snap up for 7m. But we played City, hard to watch in the end and was depressed for a good hour but hey, its football, its the best sport in the world and we'll go again next season. MUFC

clap

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun May 13, 2012 10:40 pm

To get to that top level immediately City had to revamp their entire squad. That involves paying top dollar for top players at the top of their games.

A team like Utd already have the basis of that squad and therefore don't have to spend so much over a short space of time. They still spend big money on players.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Sun May 13, 2012 10:53 pm

Yep, but all Utd's money is generated through the club itself. City's money is dependent on some rich boy born into oil money. Even if I wasn't a Utd fan their title win would get on my nerves. I wouldn't begrudge any team (including City) who built a team over the years and then won the title. Playing Football Manager in real life is not how I want to see our league being won

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Sun May 13, 2012 10:56 pm

Is that the same club that is millions of pounds in debt bambam?

Gregers

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Sun May 13, 2012 11:01 pm

Yeah Gregers we are in debt, but we are still generating enough money to pay the interest on that debt, let the Glazers take their cut and still have some money left for transfers. As opposed to City who have a large barrel full of oil dollars

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Sun May 13, 2012 11:06 pm

Fair enough, but it depends how you define making money lol. If the Glaziers wrote of the debt you'd be a lot better off

Gregers

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun May 13, 2012 11:09 pm

How is a small club supposed to compete otherwise. The difference between City and Utd is Utd have spread their spending out over years whereas City have done it all at once. They now have a squad that doesn't require major investment, just a few new players, with some going the other way. They can now build an infrastructure to maintain success.

I'm not sure Man Utds finances are that much in order either, what happened to the 80m they banked on Ronaldo?
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Mon May 14, 2012 12:14 am

Gregers - I agree mate, but they simply haven't got the money to be able to write off the debt, they would never have been able to buy the team without the loans. I hope that this proposed floatation on the Asian stock exchange will sort out a lot of our finances

GSC - Well a club could do as Spurs or Newcastle have done, improved their team with young players and shrewd buys, now both are challenging for Champions League spots. I don't disagree that investment isn't required for a team, just the manner in which it is done. You say that they only need a few new players, but do they really need to spend £35m on Hazard as is rumoured, or £30m on Cavani.

The 80m from Ronaldo is another question altogether, I suppose the Glazers would say it has gone towards Valencia (16m), Young (18m), De Gea (17m) and Jones (17m). I would hope that SAF is backed with the money this summer to overhaul City again, we need a central midfielder of the highest quality (Yaya Toure makes our midfield look like small children at times) and probably a full back.

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Mon May 14, 2012 12:25 am

Graeme Swann's Cat wrote:How is a small club supposed to compete otherwise. The difference between City and Utd is Utd have spread their spending out over years whereas City have done it all at once. They now have a squad that doesn't require major investment, just a few new players, with some going the other way. They can now build an infrastructure to maintain success.

I'm not sure Man Utds finances are that much in order either, what happened to the 80m they banked on Ronaldo?

All joking aside city are not a small club, they came 9th after another billionaire had backed them with £70million quid in the summer of 2007. Then over 4 years they've spent £500million on transfers and god knows how much on wages.

United have spent £600 million in the premier league in 20 years, thats £15million more than city have spent in 5 years!

There is catching up and there is taking the urine.

The difference between united and city is that united worked for years on stadium expansion and commercial revenue streams to build a strong financial base that allowed for transfer spending, united didn't spend over £15million pounds in transfers until they had won 4 league titles under Ferguson and had broken even or made money in many of the previous years.

City have a sugar daddy and such is life, it's another challenge for Ferguson - but lets not pretend that they invested more wisely than us or that we are in their league spending wise.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 14, 2012 12:30 am

CaledonianCraig wrote:Sorry but any football fan of an EPL Championship winning side from the last 20+ years are in no position to moan about City buying the title as that is exactly what United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Blackburn have done in the past.

While I won't disagree we haven't spent money, you can't composer united with city. United have made their fair share of inflated price signings, but the money we have spent has been money that we have made, not some dude from afar with bags of cash

However I don't want to come across as bitter and I will say well done to city, best team over the 38 games and deserved to win over the course of season. Plus the way I see we were lucky to have even still been in it come the last game of the season. This isnt close to be being the best united I've seen, we've had a build up of injuries throughout the season and the key one being vidic, plus if scholes hadn't come out of retirement then were would we have been? I don't think it would have been taken to the last game had he not come back, and that just further highlights the need for investment as we can't rely on scholes all the time

Few positives to come out of the season though. Rooney had a brilliant campaign. De Gea came back from some pretty severe criticism and shown exactly what he can be capable of. Jonny Evans drastically improved on his performances last season

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon May 14, 2012 12:50 am

Newcastle have 1 year under their belt and may lose their big players to big clubs.

Spurs themselves have hardly been frugal in the transfer market. And again, Bale and Modric have both made noises about moving to bigger clubs.

To establish yourself as a big club you need money nowadays it seems.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a big fan of owner funded spending sprees, but some of the opposition comes off as elitist and defending the big clubs.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Mon May 14, 2012 1:28 am

harryspiv wrote:I'd also like to add to your point, with all these sheiks and arabs buying the top clubs and hoping to win trophies instantly by buying the best players available, what does this mean for minnow clubs in the lower divisions?

For me this season has been all about Norwich and swansea. What they have done over the past few seasons and especially this season is a far greater achievement than what city have done IMO.
Let's not forget that the likes of Wigan and Fulham were 'minnows' in the fourth tier of English football competing with the likes of Exeter, Lincoln, Barnet and Northampton until Dave Whelan and Mohamed Al Fayed started pumping money into those clubs. If the FFP rules had been in English football since 1992 Wigan and Fulham (possibly Wolves, Stoke, Swansea even Blackpool (Latvian owners)) wouldn't have been allowed to have the relative success they have had.

I don't see anything wrong with Man City's spending. For teams to be able to grow and compete investment is needed. Once Uefa's laughable Financial (un)Fair Play rules kick in football will become far less competitive. Think about it? Teams that finish 1st in any given competition, earn the greatest revenues and can therefore spend more than other clubs. How are the teams that finish lower down supposed to catch up?

Had rich owners not invested money at Blackburn (Jack Walker), Chelsea (Roman Abramovich) and Man City (Sheikh Mansour) only two teams Man United and Arsenal would have won the Premier League since its inception putting it on par with the SPL. Money has made the Premier League more competitive not less.

If you don't let clubs fail, over clubs can't succeed.

Last edited by sportsville on Mon May 14, 2012 1:40 am; edited 1 time in total
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon May 14, 2012 1:37 am

harryspiv wrote:I'd also like to add to your point, with all these sheiks and arabs buying the top clubs and hoping to win trophies instantly by buying the best players available, what does this mean for minnow clubs in the lower divisions?

What us and Swansea have done this season is shown that if you don't have to spend to stay in the league.
Swansea have come from the 4th tier over a long period and built up a nice team, we work well together.
We have had a quick rise under Lambert and this is down to a never say die attitude and a lot of teamwork.
But for me what both teams are is positive sides that go into every game believing that they can win and setting out to win. And when on the pitch they work very hard for each other and show real grit and passion. Hopefully us and the Swans can keep it up next season
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down