The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is your least favourite position in any given stadium.

+21
Liam
jeffwinger
ScarletSpiderman
clivemcl
maestegmafia
pontylad
Cari
Portnoy
Notch
killer938
yappysnap
HongKongCherry
RDW
rodders
LondonTiger
beshocked
Rava
Mickado
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
tigerleghorn
Jenifer McLadyboy
25 posters

Go down

What is your least favourite position in any given stadium.

What is your least favourite position in any given stadium. Vote_lcap41%What is your least favourite position in any given stadium. Vote_rcap 41% 
[ 15 ]
What is your least favourite position in any given stadium. Vote_lcap27%What is your least favourite position in any given stadium. Vote_rcap 27% 
[ 10 ]
What is your least favourite position in any given stadium. Vote_lcap8%What is your least favourite position in any given stadium. Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 3 ]
What is your least favourite position in any given stadium. Vote_lcap19%What is your least favourite position in any given stadium. Vote_rcap 19% 
[ 7 ]
What is your least favourite position in any given stadium. Vote_lcap5%What is your least favourite position in any given stadium. Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 37

What is your least favourite position in any given stadium. Empty What is your least favourite position in any given stadium.

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Mon 14 May 2012, 12:09 pm

OK I have had this discussion with several people over the last few years and it has reared its head again wrt Twickenham.

We would all like to be bang on halfway about 10 rows back, but obviously we can't all be there.

Personally I would go anywhere besides the corners. With up in the sky in the corner obviously the worst.

I also would prefer to be closer to the pitch (within reason, not the first few rows) Although there is a balance between seeing more of the patterns in the game and being close to the action.

i.e. There is a sweet spot that is close enough to the action but far enough away to see the positional play of the backs etc.

For me this is about row R in the lower part of Lansdowne rd. (as an example.) Your mileage will vary.

I have had many memorable games behind the goals. Perhaps the best was last May in Cardiff when I was behind the "right" goals, and would happily chose this option ahead of either the sky or the corners. (Well OK the sky on halfway might swing it)

A minority of people I have asked would consider that "behind the goals" is the worst place in the stadium.

I want to broaden my sample to see if they are really in the minority.

I would rather "behind the goals" to anywhere "side on" behind the goal line. (i.e. the corners)

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

What is your least favourite position in any given stadium. Empty Re: What is your least favourite position in any given stadium.

Post by tigerleghorn Mon 14 May 2012, 12:13 pm

Never behind the goals. Always stand by the 22, Club house end in the Crumbie at WR

tigerleghorn

Back to top Go down

What is your least favourite position in any given stadium. Empty Re: What is your least favourite position in any given stadium.

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 14 May 2012, 12:16 pm

Isn't this like that dreadful couples-how-well-do-you-know-your-partner quiz game, with the wonderful answer 'Up the gary glitter'?!

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Mon 14 May 2012, 12:17 pm

I don’t mind sitting behind the goals. Have been in the South Stand in the RDS for 4 of the last 5 seasons. If you get high enough you can get a great view of how each team is defending/attacking.

I don’t like the corners though, all the bad bits of sitting behind the goal with none of the advantages.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Mon 14 May 2012, 12:19 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Isn't this like that dreadful couples-how-well-do-you-know-your-partner quiz game, with the wonderful answer 'Up the gary glitter'?!

laughing
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Mon 14 May 2012, 12:23 pm

tigerleghorn wrote:Never behind the goals. Always stand by the 22, Club house end in the Crumbie at WR

Is behind the goals worse than right in the corner though? Or "Side on" at the dead ball line?

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Mon 14 May 2012, 12:24 pm

Rava wrote:
AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Isn't this like that dreadful couples-how-well-do-you-know-your-partner quiz game, with the wonderful answer 'Up the gary glitter'?!

laughing

I was going to put. "And don't say the missionary" in the title, but decided against it.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 14 May 2012, 12:25 pm

It depends how elevated you are. Even though I was sat sort of behind the posts at WR on Saturday the seats weren't bad because you could still see a lot of the action.

In contrast last season at Sandy Park behind the goal posts was awful because the seats are quite low down.

The worst in my opinion are the seats right at the front where you are basically on the same level as the players. Even bang in the middle it's not good.

Basically it's best to be in middle tier - not too close but not too far away.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 14 May 2012, 12:26 pm

I like behind the posts best. Side on you are hardly ever in line with the play, while behind the posts you can see the space available/misused.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Mon 14 May 2012, 12:46 pm

Previously I wouldn't have been keen on behind the goals but three times this season I was placed there at Landsdowne Road. I have enjoyed this "position" immensely.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 14 May 2012, 12:53 pm

Enjoyed being behind the posts at Thomond park too.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 14 May 2012, 1:22 pm

Not a fan of being down at the front - you either see loads of action up close or barely see anything at all!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Mon 14 May 2012, 1:25 pm

tigerleghorn wrote:Never behind the goals. Always stand by the 22, Club house end in the Crumbie at WR

Totally agree. 22 all the way. You get to see all the match, but you see the key plays far better.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 14 May 2012, 1:32 pm

22 as well. Midway up and you can see just about everything, and it's sneakily close to the hog roast at half time too.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by killer938 Mon 14 May 2012, 1:39 pm

That is the line where we sit, great place to be except there is a pillar in the way of the bottom right hand corner of the pitch so my Dad couldn't see the Strettle drop when it happened.

killer938

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Mon 14 May 2012, 1:46 pm

HongKongCherry wrote:

Totally agree. 22 all the way. You get to see all the match, but you see the key plays far better.

You're not getting this lads. It is where you would LEAST like to sit. Not where is best.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 14 May 2012, 1:57 pm

Anywhere that wasn't on the 22...

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Mon 14 May 2012, 2:17 pm

yappysnap wrote:Anywhere that wasn't on the 22...
Cool. If I ever get any tickets in the corners I can swap for the ones you get on the halfway line then.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 14 May 2012, 2:18 pm

Outside it.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 14 May 2012, 2:19 pm

Least favourite would have to be in the queue for the bar..... Whistle
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Mon 14 May 2012, 2:19 pm

At the corner flag on the second row especially as I'm a dwarf and the bloke in front is inevitably built like Hagrid.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 14 May 2012, 2:20 pm

In the jacks.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Mon 14 May 2012, 2:24 pm

I picked other. The worst is when you're stuck in the loo because the queue was so long and you haven't made it back to your seat before kick off.
Secondly I'd say not being there at all when you could've really got a ticket but didn't for whatever reason and you begin to feel like you regret it...

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by pontylad Mon 14 May 2012, 2:33 pm

In the old Arms Park/ National Stadium it would be lying on the East Terrace before the advent of accessible toilet facilities .

Stuck in the queue to get in the Liberty stadium behind 5 people who are in the obese percentage of the population when they haven't delayed the kick off does it now. Based on current estimates of weight gain more than half the supporters wil not get through those entrance slits in about 5 years.

pontylad

Back to top Go down

Post by tigerleghorn Mon 14 May 2012, 2:54 pm

Do you get queues at the Liberty?.....sorry Run

tigerleghorn

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 14 May 2012, 3:10 pm

The only game I have ever attended with a bad viewpoint was at the old Parc de Princes in Paris, I had eaten a Steak Tartare for lunch and it gave me the worst food poisoning I have had since i spent a few days in jail in Mumbai in the sixties.

Heard the whole match between my groans and other noises and didnt see a ball played once...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Mon 14 May 2012, 3:27 pm

Without a doubt behind the goals is way worse than in the corner for seeing the opposite try line action. No contest. I've been in the corners three times at aviva and can't really complain. But best to be higher up in the corner than low down.

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by pontylad Mon 14 May 2012, 3:29 pm

tigerleghorn wrote:Do you get queues at the Liberty?.....sorry Run
Obviously the fat barstewards are putting people off .

pontylad

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 14 May 2012, 3:41 pm

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:

Is behind the goals worse than right in the corner though? Or "Side on" at the dead ball line?

I remember being side on at the dead ball line for one match at the MS (Think it was the Baabaas but not sure when), and I was moaning like hell when we got to our seats, but then I think all bar one try were scored right in front of us so it wasn't actually too bad, and I was pretty happy with my seats come full time.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by jeffwinger Mon 14 May 2012, 3:47 pm

Corners is worst. Surprised people say they don't like behind the posts. That's where you get the best view of running lines, defensive patterns, big double hits etc.

jeffwinger

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Mon 14 May 2012, 4:25 pm

Corners, can barely see anything, especially if your in one of the lower rows, sort of spoils the game in that you end up watching the big screen if your in the MS, leaving you to questions why you bought the ticket in the first place, when you could be down the pub with just as good of atmosphere watching the tv there.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Mon 14 May 2012, 4:25 pm

jeffwinger wrote:Surprised people say they don't like behind the posts. That's where you get the best view of running lines, defensive patterns, big double hits etc.

I can understand why. I went to the O's/Blues derby last season in the CCS and was sat right behind the posts about four rows from pitchside. It was a pain in the backside when play took place down the other end, because I kept having to try and turn around to see the big screen which wasn't that helpful. I also missed a superb Tommy Bowe try as he touched down right under the posts....in the opposite end to me Rolling Eyes I saw him running in the opposite direction and all the other players following behind but that was all! Best seat I ever had was in the Heino Final last season, three rows from pitchside in the MS just to the right of the centre line. Tidy. Apparently, being on the bottom tier towards the back in the MS isn't much cop either.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon 14 May 2012, 4:31 pm

On my back.
In the corners.
Behind 8 Munster fans, wearing Dougie Howlett wigs at Murrayfield. There were only 3 left by the time we finished with them...

Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 14 May 2012, 4:35 pm

Gibson wrote:On my back.
In the corners.
Behind 8 Munster fans, wearing Dougie Howlett wigs at Murrayfield. There were only 3 left by the time we finished with them...

Wigs or fans, Gib?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 14 May 2012, 4:59 pm

Luckily many people differ in opinion.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 14 May 2012, 10:08 pm

After yesterday at the 7s at Twickenham I can report that row 33 in the lower tier of the South stand is to be avoided - it's perfectly positioned to catch showers of spilt beer raining off the edge of the upper tier Sad

Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 14 May 2012, 11:36 pm

Cari wrote:
jeffwinger wrote:Surprised people say they don't like behind the posts. That's where you get the best view of running lines, defensive patterns, big double hits etc.

I can understand why. I went to the O's/Blues derby last season in the CCS and was sat right behind the posts about four rows from pitchside. It was a pain in the backside when play took place down the other end, because I kept having to try and turn around to see the big screen which wasn't that helpful. I also missed a superb Tommy Bowe try as he touched down right under the posts....in the opposite end to me Rolling Eyes I saw him running in the opposite direction and all the other players following behind but that was all! Best seat I ever had was in the Heino Final last season, three rows from pitchside in the MS just to the right of the centre line. Tidy. Apparently, being on the bottom tier towards the back in the MS isn't much cop either.

Bit of a curates egg behind the posts. You get the best tacticalview but a lot of the time you're far from the action. I like to be close to the side of the pitch. You don't get the same view of whats going on but it's being as proximate as possible I enjoy.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Tue 15 May 2012, 9:46 am

Kiwireddevil wrote:After yesterday at the 7s at Twickenham I can report that row 33 in the lower tier of the South stand is to be avoided - it's perfectly positioned to catch showers of spilt beer raining off the edge of the upper tier Sad

You should've kept your mouth open! Wink

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Tue 15 May 2012, 9:54 am

Cari wrote:

I was in there right at the back last year at the HC Final. They have a bank of screens that you end up looking at as opposed to the action.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Tue 15 May 2012, 9:59 am

Yeah I heard that Rava. It's a bit annoying isn't it? Paying the price of a ticket to be at a live match and end up watching the telly?

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Tue 15 May 2012, 10:16 am

Stuck outside the gates at the Stade Francacais cos your mate has lost the tickets in a bar somewhere in central Paris! That was my least favourite position.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Tue 15 May 2012, 12:59 pm

propdavid_london wrote:Stuck outside the gates at the Stade Francacais cos your mate has lost the tickets in a bar somewhere in central Paris! That was my least favourite position.
Poor Bar Steward! Did you get in in the end?

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Tue 15 May 2012, 1:29 pm

Ha, yes we did. French stewards took pity on the offending party member and the abuse that he was getting. We were all ushered in to halfway line seats.

Worked out well in the end - Quins won too.

A little light banter goes a long way.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by 2ndtimeround Tue 15 May 2012, 1:32 pm

rodders wrote:Least favourite would have to be in the queue for the bar..... Whistle

+1
made worse by the poor quality served at the end of the queue.

2ndtimeround

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 15 May 2012, 5:28 pm

Cari wrote:Yeah I heard that Rava. It's a bit annoying isn't it? Paying the price of a ticket to be at a live match and end up watching the telly?

That's not really necessary though. I managed to watch most, if not all of the Swalec from there without looking at the TV screens. It is only probably an issue for up and unders and maybe some conversions.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Wed 16 May 2012, 6:52 pm

Risca Rev wrote:
Cari wrote:Yeah I heard that Rava. It's a bit annoying isn't it? Paying the price of a ticket to be at a live match and end up watching the telly?

That's not really necessary though. I managed to watch most, if not all of the Swalec from there without looking at the TV screens. It is only probably an issue for up and unders and maybe some conversions.

Fair enough. I've never sat there myself, just what I've been told. thumbsup

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down