The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England V West Indies, Lords, 1st Test Thread

+24
mystiroakey
paulscholes
kemet
dyrewolfe
Carrotdude
eirebilly
VTR
Makrish
gboycottnut
GSC
robbo277
msp83
JDizzle
alfie
Liam
trebellbobaggins
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
ShankyCricket
Mad for Chelsea
Biltong
Stella
Shelsey93
Fists of Fury
Duty281
28 posters

Page 9 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

England V West Indies, Lords, 1st Test Thread - Page 9 Empty England V West Indies, Lords, 1st Test Thread

Post by Duty281 Wed 16 May - 20:11

First topic message reminder :

Just a little under 15 hours now until the English Test Summer gets underway with the first of three tests against the lowly West Indies. This is seen as little more than a tune up for England, with the bigger obstacle of South Africa to come later in the summer.

Indeed, England are seen as overwhelming favourites for the series despite a disappointing Winter campaign in the UAE and Sri Lanka which saw them just about hold on to their World no.1 ranking. In the red corner, the West Indies are coming over to England on the back of a 2-0 home defeat to the Australians but their captain Darren Sammy remains hopeful of an upset.

Teams

England 1 Andrew Strauss (capt), 2 Alastair Cook, 3 Jonathan Trott, 4 Kevin Pietersen, 5 Ian Bell, 6 Jonny Bairstow, 7 Matt Prior (wk), 8 Tim Bresnan, 9 Stuart Broad, 10 Graeme Swann, 11 James Anderson

West Indies 1 Adrian Barath, 2 Kieran Powell, 3 Kirk Edwards, 4 Darren Bravo, 5 Shivnarine Chanderpaul, 6 Marlon Samuels, 7 Denesh Ramdin (wk), 8 Darren Sammy (capt), 9 Kemar Roach, 10 Ravi Rampaul, 11 Fidel Edwards

Cricinfo Preview
10 Day Weather Forecast for London

Enjoy!

Last edited by Duty281 on Thu 17 May - 16:48; edited 1 time in total

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

England V West Indies, Lords, 1st Test Thread - Page 9 Empty Re: England V West Indies, Lords, 1st Test Thread

Post by VTR Sun 20 May - 17:44

Bresnan has had a very poor match. Don't think he'll be playing the next one, with three seamers you need them on form and he hasn't quite got going this season.

VTR

Back to top Go down

England V West Indies, Lords, 1st Test Thread - Page 9 Empty Re: England V West Indies, Lords, 1st Test Thread

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 20 May - 17:45

he has been very poor. Finn is much better.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 20 May - 17:45

V TR i havent seen much of this match- but atherton seems to like his bowling today!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 20 May - 17:46

Graeme Swann's Cat wrote:Must say Bresnan's been a disappointment

1/143 in the bowling and 0 runs. Yeah I'd have to agree.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 20 May - 17:49

He might get 1 more at TB, swinging wicket.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 20 May - 17:51

gotta go with the batter this time. inconclusive

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 20 May - 18:00

There we go, Swann gets the final wicket. 191 to win and only England can mess it up from here!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 20 May - 18:01

The tricky part is tonight. If they can get through to the morning there aren't any demons in this pitch.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Sun 20 May - 18:01

That's that then. Chasing 191 on a flat pitch against a team with no spinner. Should make it.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Sun 20 May - 18:12

Last 7 test matches at Lord's (4th innings)

India 261 all out (chasing 467 Vs England).
Sri Lanka 127/3 (chasing 343 Vs England).

England beat Pakistan by an innings and 225 runs (bowling Pakistan out for 147 on day 3/4).
Pakistan 289 all out (chasing 440 Vs Australia)
England 163/2 (match won Vs Bangladesh)

Australia 406 all out (chasing 522 Vs England)
England 32/0 (match won on day 3 Vs West Indies)

The Lord's pitch is good for batting, it doesn't offer much to bowlers even on day 5 (as it didn't today) and I think England should be able to knock these runs off.

robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sun 20 May - 18:15

Duty281 wrote:There we go, Swann gets the final wicket. 191 to win and only England can mess it up from here!

Heh - you said it! Laugh

...and JUST as I'm typing this Strauss is out for 1 and England are 1-1.

Uh-oh... Shocked
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sun 20 May - 18:17

robbo277 wrote:That's that then. Chasing 191 on a flat pitch against a team with no spinner. Should make it.

I wouldn't go getting too comfortable just yet...
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 20 May - 18:18

Just as Strauss begins to silence the critics...
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by paulscholes Sun 20 May - 18:22

bresnan has to play 11 tests 11 wins (this should be 12 in 12 unless they all play like AS)

paulscholes

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 20 May - 18:24

Yes, but being part of a winning team and being a reason why they win are 2 different things. The team winning doesn't really justify going for 150 runs and taking 1 wicket, while not adding runs.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sun 20 May - 18:28

Jimmy gone and England are now 10-2. Hope thats the last one for the day or I will be really worried.

Replays seem to indicate the ball only brushed his shirt...unlucky. Trott comes out to face the last 3 balls.

Last edited by dyrewolfe on Sun 20 May - 18:29; edited 1 time in total
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 20 May - 18:29

i told you eng would fold.

sadly the captain encapsulates just how badly they fail to concentrate.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 20 May - 18:29

Yeah I would have Finn over Bresnan everyday. Finn is a better bowler and people will say Bresnan can offer something with the bat but we would bat down to 9 with Swann so I don't really see the arguement there. Finn will cause the West Indians trouble
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 20 May - 18:30

trebellbobaggins wrote:i told you eng would fold.

sadly the captain encapsulates just how badly they fail to concentrate.

Typical England fan! Just have some bloody faith
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sun 20 May - 18:31

Oh dear Lord!

Trott possibly LBW first ball. Dar doesn't give it but WI review it. Umpire's decision stands!

Phew!

Last edited by dyrewolfe on Sun 20 May - 18:32; edited 1 time in total
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 20 May - 18:31

we just are pathetic sometimes.

Makes me bloody mad. we don't even deserve top 5 with this frail batting. Not been good enough for months and months yet nothing is done or admitted.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 20 May - 18:32

omg

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 20 May - 18:32

We breathe again
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 20 May - 18:33

it's a fair comment but i've seen us fold like schoolboys so many times and return to those ways all winter that i just struggle to have any faith. we're a poor batting side.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sun 20 May - 18:34

Close of play.

Lets hope England's batting improves dramatically tomorrow. 191 suddenly looking a rather bigger target now.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 20 May - 18:35

This period was all about survival. On this wicket they just need to get in.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 20 May - 18:36

I like how positive SwannPuss is. A good foil for me, brings karmic balance.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 20 May - 18:37

We will chase that down tomorrow. Gotta remember Strauss is the only real batter out and we bat all the way down now.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Makrish Sun 20 May - 18:38

We need Trott and Cook to replicate Brisbane 2010. We know they have it in them...

Just feel that in the third innings, WI batsmen actually valued their wickets (apart from perhaps first three), whereas England have seemed to be a little... lax. Sure, it's a long batting order, but you can't rely on those lower in the order.

On another note, how amazing would it be if Bairstow managed to score the winning runs, on debut?

Makrish

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 20 May - 18:38

Well it won't be zipping around like that tomorrow and all we need is 180 runs from the combined efforts of Cook, Trott, KP, Bell, Prior, Bresnan, Broad and Swann. Easily done I would think. Today Strauss was done by a good ball and Jimmy is a bowler anyway so I wouldn't be too worried. England to win by five wickets.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 20 May - 18:39

We'd need a whole pack of me to balance out the rest of you Laugh
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 20 May - 18:44

Before I head off though, well done to the West Indies who showed tremendous fight and courage today. They're a team who have potential, that's for sure.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 20 May - 18:45

That is very true. Coming back to being good. If they could get their best team out they'd win a lot.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 20 May - 18:52

shocking session for england from what i saw Sad

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 20 May - 19:37

10-2 not good, however i fully expect us to wrap it up by tea!

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 20 May - 19:58

last time we played the windies they skittled us- infact that was the start of our downfall from what i can remeber

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 20 May - 20:00

completely different conditions.

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sun 20 May - 20:18

mystiroakey wrote:last time we played the windies they skittled us- infact that was the start of our downfall from what i can remeber

No last time England played them was summer 2009 when they pasted them twice, partly because they were cold and unpayed and didnt know why they were here.

Before that it was the away series which for the most part England dominated but couldnt force results on flat pitches and had managed the sort of collapse which wouldve made this winters batting look good in the firts test an lost the series ( i assume its that game you remember)

After that England went undeafeated in series up till Pakistan this winter. It was the start of them getting good. Maybe what they need is a good collapse to sharpen them up.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Sun 20 May - 20:26

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:last time we played the windies they skittled us- infact that was the start of our downfall from what i can remeber

No last time England played them was summer 2009 when they pasted them twice, partly because they were cold and unpayed and didnt know why they were here.

Before that it was the away series which for the most part England dominated but couldnt force results on flat pitches and had managed the sort of collapse which wouldve made this winters batting look good in the firts test an lost the series ( i assume its that game you remember)

After that England went undeafeated in series up till Pakistan this winter. It was the start of them getting good. Maybe what they need is a good collapse to sharpen them up.

But West Indies did skittle England out for under 100 in the final ODI last summer. Perhaps there are a few mental scars from that humiliating defeat.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 20 May - 20:40

gboycottnut wrote:

But West Indies did skittle England out for under 100 in the final ODI last summer. Perhaps there are a few mental scars from that humiliating defeat.

:facepalm....different form of the game, different sides..

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Sun 20 May - 20:47

CF wrote:
gboycottnut wrote:

But it was still an England team under Andy Flower which was supposed to win that match, and showed that they can still be mentally fragile when placed under constant pressure.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 20 May - 20:50

and it was a t20 not test match, windies side was completely diff as was england side...

silly comparison to make.

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 20 May - 20:50

gboycottnut wrote:
CF wrote:
gboycottnut wrote:

But it was still an England team under Andy Flower which was supposed to win that match, and showed that they can still be mentally fragile when placed under constant pressure.

But then you could say that in Brisbane we came through in a much more pressurised situation which required us to be more mentally strong
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 20 May - 20:53

Unless we're chasing that 181 in 20 overs I wouldn't worry about that
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 20 May - 20:53

if we dont chase that down by tea, we should be ashamed!

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 20 May - 21:02

i was talking about the one day by the way- and that was a factor i believe. Yes formats are difcferent however in that case it seemed to be the start of a slide. Still many of the same players that were supposedly invincible at the time- and the first big time collapse for ages in any format against a weakish team

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Sun 20 May - 22:07

A superb day for West Indies, though the first two sections were bordering on tedious! Shiv again displaying what mental strength can do, and good to see Samuels (who I don't rate very highly at all) playing a good innings.

Roach seemed to turn his pace and hostility up in that last 20 minutes, and was rewarded.

But England are big favourites. WI have a chance, but will need to create panic in the ranks early by nipping a couple more. Otherwise their attack can't probe away all day in the same way they could for a while tonight.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Sun 20 May - 23:08

I know Anderson is our normal night watchman, but even before he was out I was thinking we should have sent out Bresnan. I'm a big fan of a pinch-hitter when chasing small totals. Bresnan could have played the night-watchman role tonight and then tomorrow morning he could have opened up and looked to get a quick 30. If he goes early you haven't lost a batsman, but if he comes off he puts a dent in the total and forces the West Indies to go a bit more defensive with their fields and takes the pressure off the batsman.

I still think we'll win this though, even at 10-2.

robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 20 May - 23:11

id send out swan all day as nightwatchman

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 21 May - 7:57

Personally i dont really see the need for nightwatchmen. If (as was the case yesterday and around 50% of the time) the nightwatchman is removed, a top order batsmen replaces them to see out the day anyway.

I would just send a top order batsmen out anyways as they have to face the bowlers and play themselves in at some stage anyway.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next