The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Andy Murray to win a Grand Slam title in the next four years?

+8
JuliusHMarx
invisiblecoolers
lydian
CaledonianCraig
hawkeye
Jeremy_Kyle
barrystar
bogbrush
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Murray's chances of winning a Slam Tournament by the time he turns 29?

Andy Murray to win a Grand Slam title in the next four years? - Page 2 Vote_lcap13%Andy Murray to win a Grand Slam title in the next four years? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 2 ]
Andy Murray to win a Grand Slam title in the next four years? - Page 2 Vote_lcap6%Andy Murray to win a Grand Slam title in the next four years? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 1 ]
Andy Murray to win a Grand Slam title in the next four years? - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%Andy Murray to win a Grand Slam title in the next four years? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Andy Murray to win a Grand Slam title in the next four years? - Page 2 Vote_lcap6%Andy Murray to win a Grand Slam title in the next four years? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 1 ]
Andy Murray to win a Grand Slam title in the next four years? - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%Andy Murray to win a Grand Slam title in the next four years? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Andy Murray to win a Grand Slam title in the next four years? - Page 2 Vote_lcap13%Andy Murray to win a Grand Slam title in the next four years? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 2 ]
[ 2 ]
Andy Murray to win a Grand Slam title in the next four years? - Page 2 Vote_lcap19%Andy Murray to win a Grand Slam title in the next four years? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 19% 
[ 3 ]
[ 1 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 1 ]
Andy Murray to win a Grand Slam title in the next four years? - Page 2 Vote_lcap18%Andy Murray to win a Grand Slam title in the next four years? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 18% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 16

Andy Murray to win a Grand Slam title in the next four years? - Page 2 Empty Andy Murray to win a Grand Slam title in the next four years?

Post by Guest Thu 17 May 2012, 6:43 pm

First topic message reminder :

Andy Murray has just turned 25 (May 15th was his birthday). In four years time he will be 29 and he would have had 16 opportunities to win a grand slam title (four French Open opportunities, four wimbledon opportunities etc). His past 16 grand slam events has resulted in the following returns:

Maximum Progress
Wins: zero
Finals: three
SF: six
QF: two
4R: two
3R: two
2R: zero
1R: zero
Absent: zero

What do you think the chances are of Murray winning a slam in the next four years?

Last edited by Nore Staat on Thu 17 May 2012, 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Andy Murray to win a Grand Slam title in the next four years? - Page 2 Empty Re: Andy Murray to win a Grand Slam title in the next four years?

Post by bogbrush Thu 17 May 2012, 10:42 pm

That's not really how probability works, NS, though your approximation is reasonable. If we go with 5% that's 95% of not winning a particular Slam so;

Pr(any slam of 16) = 1 - (.95)^16 = 1 - 0.44 = 0.56 or56%

bogbrush; bringing Maths pedantry to the forum.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Andy Murray to win a Grand Slam title in the next four years? - Page 2 Empty Re: Andy Murray to win a Grand Slam title in the next four years?

Post by Jeremy_Kyle Thu 17 May 2012, 10:48 pm

@NS

Actually statistic doesn't work like this. If not you would have a 100% of probability to get a win after 20 attempts if you have 5% chance but alas it's not always the case.

In 16 events at 5% you would have------------> 55.9% of 1 win
In 16 events at 4% you would have------------> 47.9% of 1 win.

In the case of Murray I believe he has left 6 events in his prime time which would make an overall 21% at 4%. After that it is unlikely to think one would win his first slam. If you add uncertainty I think maybe yes 15% to 18% is fair enough for me.
Jeremy_Kyle
Jeremy_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 17 May 2012, 10:58 pm

Great minds.........
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy_Kyle Thu 17 May 2012, 11:16 pm

idea
Jeremy_Kyle
Jeremy_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Thu 17 May 2012, 11:23 pm

I can say with a great amount of confidence that he will never win at RG. The other 3 he has a good chance though.

It always amazes me the reaction when Murray loses on clay. Do people forget that out of all of his successes and titles, none of them have been on clay? If he starts losing early regularly on hard courts then it would be reasonable to start thinking he is regressing or past his peak.

But he has 0 titles and 0 finals on clay in 7 or 8 years on the tour. Whether it makes sense or not, he's not a particularly good clay player and never has been. Murray losing before the business end of a clay tournament is not big news.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 18 May 2012, 4:11 am

bogbrush wrote:... Pr(any slam of 16) = 1 - (.95)^16 ...
Jeremy_Kyle wrote:@NS

Actually statistic doesn't work like this. If not you would have a 100% of probability to get a win after 20 attempts if you have 5% chance but alas it's not always the case. ...

O' well, that's a shame Sad , I stand corrected Andy Murray to win a Grand Slam title in the next four years? - Page 2 3610695981

[1] I determined average number of wins not probability and muddled it up with probability; Average number of wins = 16 x Pr(of win in a single slam) --> 0.64 to 0.80

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri 18 May 2012, 6:06 am

Very true Danny. However, the nature of his defeat wasn't down to the surface and more down to aspects of Andy's game that needs addressing and quick.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 18 May 2012, 7:14 am

Danny_1982 wrote:I can say with a great amount of confidence that he will never win at RG. The other 3 he has a good chance though.

It always amazes me the reaction when Murray loses on clay. Do people forget that out of all of his successes and titles, none of them have been on clay? If he starts losing early regularly on hard courts then it would be reasonable to start thinking he is regressing or past his peak.

But he has 0 titles and 0 finals on clay in 7 or 8 years on the tour. Whether it makes sense or not, he's not a particularly good clay player and never has been. Murray losing before the business end of a clay tournament is not big news.
True, except that this time last year he was a haird breadth from beating Djokovic, who went on to do Nadal in straight sets.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 18 May 2012, 8:18 am

Danny_1982 wrote:I can say with a great amount of confidence that he will never win at RG. The other 3 he has a good chance though.

Except it is the same set of stats - low percentage of first serves in (which is entirely under his control) and low points won on his second serve.

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri 18 May 2012, 8:39 am

Nore Staat I would say that another important fact is the amount of unforced errors were high against Gasquet by Murray's usual standards as has been the case through a number of his matches lately. A worrying trend.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Fri 18 May 2012, 11:00 am

Yes he was a hairs breadth away from Novak at AO this year...that is what can keep him believing. It was his serve/nerve that let him down at the end.
I think we all feel AO is probably Murray's best bet of a slam...the surface seems to suit him down to the ground. If he can just tweak that 2nd serve....
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 18 May 2012, 11:17 am

Andy Murrays three best results at:

AO: Final, Final, SF
FO: SF, QF, 4R
Wimbledon: SF, SF, SF
USO: Final, SF, 4R

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Fri 18 May 2012, 11:20 am

Interesting NS. So AO then...and maybe Wimb shades it as 2nd?
He's definitely getting there...or rather was. He needs to keep developing his game...the others are. Look at Federer, he's a better player now overall than a few years back - IMO.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 18 May 2012, 11:27 am

Murray has a seasonal temperament, he does really well at the AO, goes on a post-AO slump (to varying depths), then regathers / remotivates himself in the second half of the season.

With regard to the Lendl - Murray connection, it looks to be a part-time arrangement, with Lendl telling Murray he is a champion and needs to go though the pain barrier to beat the top three in the slam tournaments. I was just hoping there would be some technical imput in there as well. We should be able to better evaluate Murrays technical progress at Wimbledon 2012, USO 2012 and AO 2013. It seems however there hasn't as yet been an obvious change in Murrays serving proficiency.

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Fri 18 May 2012, 12:15 pm

I've gone for the 30-39% mark. I tend to think that rather than being near the cusp of making a breakthrough, Murray is constantly in a struggle to keep up his position near the top. It's his consistency that keeps him afloat.

He needs a Thomas Johansson/Albert Costa/Gaston Gaudio style draw to realise his dream.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 18 May 2012, 12:47 pm

Don't watch much tennis eh?

Gaudio defeated 4 of the top 20 seeds to win.

Costa defeated Ferrero and then the greatest clay courter since Borg in Kuerten! Not to mention a young Davydenko.

Let's actually do a tad better when making such remarks. OK

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Fri 18 May 2012, 1:36 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:Don't watch much tennis eh?

Costa defeated Ferrero and then the greatest clay courter since Borg in Kuerten! Not to mention a young Davydenko.

Gaudio was lucky LK I remember it well. He defeated two players in Coria and Nalbandian who affectively threw their matches away. Coria lost it totally and even then Gaudio played a game of who could choke the most as the fifth set could have gone either way. Gaudio's win against Hewitt was his most impressive of the tournament but Hewitt never liked clay. Costa preyed on a Ferrero that was partly injured in the final so I'm perfectly happy with my comments you condescending lettuce! furious

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Fri 18 May 2012, 4:18 pm

Nore Staat

I've been studying your chart and am unable to see any clear meaning. I am hoping that you may write some sort of conclusion to your poll so that we can have a better idea of the probability of Murray winning a slam in the next 4 years?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 18 May 2012, 4:42 pm

Super D Boon wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:Don't watch much tennis eh?

Gaudio was lucky LK I remember it well. He defeated two players in Coria and Nalbandian who affectively threw their matches away. Coria lost it totally and even then Gaudio played a game of who could choke the most as the fifth set could have gone either way. Gaudio's win against Hewitt was his most impressive of the tournament but Hewitt never liked clay. Costa preyed on a Ferrero that was partly injured in the final so I'm perfectly happy with my comments you condescending lettuce! furious

Ferrero wasn't partially injured. He won Monte Carlo you numbskull!!

Coira may have choked, but still you try to dismiss the other players he defeated! Nalbandian defeated Kuerten and Safin in 4.

Good try in attempting to 'remember' such matches. OK

Back to top Go down

Post by Seifer Almasy Fri 18 May 2012, 5:01 pm

It is very possible. I am going to say he will win 1 slam in his career. He is bound to have a lucky draw one time and Fed and Nad are getting old. He will have his chance.

He has to do it soon though, he is aging too... and these losses cannot be helping.

Seifer Almasy

Back to top Go down

Post by jersey Sun 20 May 2012, 4:08 am

0%

murray is a goner

jersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2