The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nadal's Brilliant Tactics

+5
10IS
Sport Junkie
lydian
kemet
hawkeye
9 posters

Go down

Nadal's Brilliant Tactics Empty Nadal's Brilliant Tactics

Post by hawkeye Mon 21 May 2012, 6:46 pm

Have Just watched a tape of most of the Rome final between Nadal and Djokovic. Nadal won because he used the correct tactics to unsettle Djokovic.

He hit high over the net with lots of spin, varied the depth and wasn't scared to hit to the centre of the court or even bring him into the net. Surprisingly these are the very tactics that many commentators advise him to avoid. Djokovic was unable to do what he can do best. Get into a rhythm and run side to side, take the ball early and hit hard and flat. This was because Nadal refused to give him any consistancy or predictable pace. By the end Djokovic was so flummoxed he had lost his way and coughed up error after error. Not many players would be brave enough to use such tactics. Hit high to the centre? You will get killed! Not always so...

I hope Federer was watching. But then again Federer being Federer would probably want to beat Djokovic at his own game. Pfft!

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Nadal's Brilliant Tactics Empty Re: Nadal's Brilliant Tactics

Post by kemet Mon 21 May 2012, 6:50 pm

hawkeye wrote:Have Just watched a tape of most of the Rome final between Nadal and Djokovic. Nadal won because he used the correct tactics to unsettle Djokovic.

He hit high over the net with lots of spin, varied the depth and wasn't scared to hit to the centre of the court or even bring him into the net. Surprisingly these are the very tactics that many commentators advise him to avoid. Djokovic was unable to do what he can do best. Get into a rhythm and run side to side, take the ball early and hit hard and flat. This was because Nadal refused to give him any consistancy or predictable pace. By the end Djokovic was so flummoxed he had lost his way and coughed up error after error. Not many players would be brave enough to use such tactics. Hit high to the centre? You will get killed! Not always so...

I hope Federer was watching. But then again Federer being Federer would probably want to beat Djokovic at his own game. Pfft!

Thanks for the analysis Hawkeye. I will have to take a look at the final.

kemet

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Mon 21 May 2012, 6:54 pm

For me one of the biggest changes is that he's stopped routinely serving into the BH and is now going after the FH on serve - reaping reward here and at MC with that tactic. I'm surprised he wasnt doing this before this year given how strong Novak is off the BH wing.

I've always said that Nadal can play with more variety of shot than Djokovic and on slower surfaces (like clay - but also with grass too) this is important and makes a difference. At USO you get less chance to play with different types of shots and approaches given the speed of the court. Djokovic feeds off even and heavy pace...given this is what his game is based on. Mixing it up is what works better against him and yes Nadal did a good job of that today, he's thinking much more clearly than last year when he just seemed zoned out against Djokovic alot of the time. But then we know he wasnt 100% mentally fit last year at all. Using variety is something I think Federer didnt attempt the other night (or rather too late...), just tried to hit through him which wont get the job done these days. In that respect I wonder if Roger did watch the match...he might have learned something himself for future meet ups with Novak.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 21 May 2012, 7:05 pm

Does Federer have a record of watching finals that don't include him? It just might be too galling for him to watch. I think he might have mentioned something along these lines in an interview.

Ps I guess he would only watch Nadal / Djokovic when it suits him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sport Junkie Tue 22 May 2012, 12:26 am

Novak had chances, just could'nt convert them, & when he got that bad line call, he mentally lost the plot, smashing a racket in2 the net post, which was dangerous, that overhead smash sum Novak up 2day, a sitter in2 the net, Nadal 4hand was poor 2day, goin 4 2 much power & lenght, both evenly match goin in2 the French open, believe both av another level 2 go up, both poor 2day.

Sport Junkie

Back to top Go down

Post by 10IS Tue 22 May 2012, 2:42 am

hawkeye wrote:

I did not watch the match but did catch some highlights. You are probably right in that Nadal used a combination of variation in depths and slices to unsettle Djokovic. And Nadal defintely desrves a lot of credit for maintaing his composure during crucial break points given his records against Djokovic. A loss here would have left some serious mental scars on Nadal's psyche before FO.

However, I am not so that sure we can attribute the win only to Nadal's superior tactics. Even from highlighs it seemed to me that 2011 Djokovic would have easily hit winners off many of those loopy high balls in the center of the court that Nadal was feeding him or at least set up a winner. But then what do I know... I am more of a casual tennis fan, so i could have easily missed the finer details of their game, and yes did I mention I only watched highlights?

I would love to hear more from V2 posters about this . Has Nadal significantly altered his tactics against Djokovic and was it obvious in the finals? Lydian and HE seem to support this theory. Would be interesting to see if anybody thinks it was more a case of Nadal playing similar to 2011 with minor tweaks to his game and Djoko's level dropping significantly compared to 2011. And I am not proposing this theory just to rile people up..but to understand more about Rafa's prospects should he meet Djoko again in FO.

10IS

Back to top Go down

Post by Seifer Almasy Tue 22 May 2012, 3:07 am

I think more likely that

a. This is clay
b. Djokovic had more than 40 unforced errors.

Call me crazy.

Seifer Almasy

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Tue 22 May 2012, 5:36 am

lets be clear, Nadal is a different beast altogether when he gets his confidence back, he got it in MC, now Djoko have to do something to dent his confidence back if not Rafa will not lose, its not gonna be an easy task.

Rafa is playing Djoko without any fear, indeed he is loving his matches versus Nole coz he had a point to prove who the boss is and he is doing it neat and clean, this Djoko will not even beat the current Rafa in Hardcourt let alone grass or clay.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 22 May 2012, 8:31 am

I dont know whether you have seen Rafa´s presser but here it is anyway.
I think he feels he did alter his tactics maybe not too much but certainly he played more aggressively.

NADAL PRESS CONFERENCE
Rome, Italy by ATP Staff
Monday, 21 May, 2012

An interview with: Rafael Nadal

Q: Congratulations. Bravo and can you tell us if you were feeling a little bit off. It seemed you played short and behind and then suddenly things changed He was taking the initiative and you seemed to be a little worried?
NADAL: At the beginning of the match? I do not agree. Sorry – I started playing winners with my forehand and later he had good point with his serve an did lose the break point and went against the net and I lost attacking not defending the ball and when he plays long it is difficult to attack and when I had my chance my tactic was aggressive and when I have to defend I defend and when I can play aggressive I did and I don't have the feeling that I play short and 5m behind the line but you have your opinion and mine. We can check on the TV.
Q: Also Djokovic said he though you did not play at your best. He said Nadal did not play extremely well?
NADAL: You think is was a bad final?
Q: No but I've …….
NADAL: I didn't consider myself that good I can do better.
Q: You played … you think last year you were too defensive, too far from the base line and this year closer?
NADAL: I am trying but against him its difficult for example in Montecarlo – my feeling is similar to Montecarlo I played but my serve did not work that well today. When you are not serving 100% perfect then you are in trouble because he returns hard. I am trying to play more aggressive and I am touching better the ball and my forehand is more painful(?) that last year and that is why I am able to go more to the side. Last year I tried to hit short but not enough good and this year it is good and I am happy and ……. that I won in Rome without losing a set but here is the best players in the world like Berdych and Ferrer and Djokovic and so I am happy and the most important thing is not to win against that player but to win the most important title of the year for me and this why I am happy now and the important things is to ….
Q: Montecarlo, Barcelona and Rome and a clay season coming up to Paris – you are expecting to ride to the perfect Paris?NADAL: The clay court season better for me apart form the mistake of Madrid. I am playing well and at the right level in my opinion and so normally it is a little bit more – not easy but les say easier to find the right feeling and to develop my game and I think I did well and I played well almost every match and I played solid but the second set against Mayer wasn't my best and when the conditions are right then I play and I am more than happy the way the concentration worked during this tournament.
Q: Last summer you said I know what it is I have to work on but no time and so I'll wait to the off season. Are things now working well this year?
NADAL: I said this when I lose some final and you cannot expect to be perfect and your opponent is not going to be perfect all the time and when you are losing finals like I did last year and one this year you have to control of your emotions when you lose and win and nothing is terrible when you lose and fantastic when you win and you just find the right point and keep working and keep winning and be competitive in every tournament and work every day and accept the lose because this is the game and in this sport you always will lose – you finish 3rd or 5th or you lose in the semi or the quarter or the finals – you win only one but it is normal that you lose and be you need to be patient to wait for you moment and I accept my loses and to keep being competitive… And you win a few points and you lost and you lose a match and today I won and this is the difference. You don’t need to find great things – it is the small things that make difference.
Q: Is it important mentally to come back no 2?
NADAL: Yo know it I said before it is better 2 that 3, and 3 better that 4 and netter 1 that 2 but after 8 years being top 2 in the ranking no big difference and it is normal is to change the ranking in the next month after Roland Garros or Wimbledon and I an few points from Roger but I am in the race and I am in the right position and few points away from the number one and this is the most important thing and I am happy about everything and the right position for the ranking and number 2 of the race and closing the race and this is the motivation for today and I am going second in the league.
Q: Rafa I think this win is important psychologically or no different and also a question – were you asked to go on court to explain or you thought it could be a bad idea?
NADAL: You are asking wrong that is not my job. We were here until 8.15 and we play today we love this tournament. Yesterday the conditions were not perfect and it is much more crowd today. We do not decide it – it is ATP and in my opinion was the right situation. It was a sad situation but I stay one more day in Rome and have could have had a rest and so it we prefer to say another day and because we love this tournament and this is the thing, We take this tournament like one of the important one in the season and so we believe to play in the right conditions.
Q: Rafa in Paris you will be going for your seventh title ---- be a record?
NADAL: Yes – but I win in Rome and I will have a press conference in Paris and we will be in Roland Garros we are in Rome and it is a happy day to be here with the title another time. This is part of the system and Rome is historical and it is for me very important to keep playing to keep winning and I did today and this is a personal satisfaction.
Q: Psychologically was this an important victory today
NADAL: Winning is important and this for everyone when you lose you play with doubts and this is a tennis match and an important thing for me I will have this trophy in my bedroom and I won the .. it is a dream and the confidence I am playing well and this comes when I play at the right level and hopefully I will keep playing like this.
Q: You said you cant expect to play best every day- What expect from yourself
NADAL: Try my best in every tournament. When you play best you cannot do more – passion and love for the game and love for the match and you cannot ask for more.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 22 May 2012, 8:53 am

Djokovic was unable to do what he can do best. Get into a rhythm and run side to side, take the ball early and hit hard and flat

Not sure what Final you were watching.

In fact Djokovic was hitting the ball flat. It was just Nadal's defence was actually solid against him. For once in their encounters Nadal was hitting the BH flat too. Djokovic was going down the lines and unlike last year where Nadal didn't back his BH, he did this time and it worked.

Yes Djokovic coughed up a lot of errors, but let's not get so carried away with 'brilliant' tactics. Nadal at last looks confident on Clay against Djokovic and his BH is now back to it's near best.

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 22 May 2012, 8:59 am

Personally I think Nadal´s retrieving was quite spectactular... wouldn´t call that tactics more determination and mental strength. In short it is my belief tht Rafa had found his confidence again and when he is in the mood he was yesterday he becomes a brick wall. Gut reaction and the determination to win was his tactics yesterday. He made way too many errors and served poorly but he never let it affect him mentally

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Tue 22 May 2012, 1:41 pm

Yes HN and 10is. Novak wasnt as good as 2011 but there may be reasons behind that such as seeing a resurgence from Nadal, or just never being able to hit that purple patch plateau again.

For me yesterday he served more to the FH for a change, yes he did retrieve amazingly well (which as HN says is maybe down to better confidence and even strength?). But it wasnt all great, he served relatively poorly, his FH was a little hit and miss at times and I still think he stood behind the baseline too far. But then Nadal seems to suggest that was what he intended to do. That aside, it was clear both players can play better....but its clearly given Novak something to think about ahead of RG and we'll see how he continues to handle the pressure...as well as the media storm that will ensue around the 4 in a row feat thats open to Novak as well.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom_____ Tue 22 May 2012, 2:07 pm

These two answers sum Nadal up for me and illustrate why i personally like the guy:

"NADAL: I said this when I lose some final and you cannot expect to be perfect and your opponent is not going to be perfect all the time and when you are losing finals like I did last year and one this year you have to control of your emotions when you lose and win and nothing is terrible when you lose and fantastic when you win and you just find the right point and keep working and keep winning and be competitive in every tournament and work every day and accept the lose because this is the game and in this sport you always will lose – you finish 3rd or 5th or you lose in the semi or the quarter or the finals – you win only one but it is normal that you lose and be you need to be patient to wait for you moment and I accept my loses and to keep being competitive… And you win a few points and you lost and you lose a match and today I won and this is the difference. You don’t need to find great things – it is the small things that make difference. "

"NADAL: Try my best in every tournament. When you play best you cannot do more – passion and love for the game and love for the match and you cannot ask for more."

Tom_____

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down