The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What team are you a fan of or teams

+14
Gmen
simon1288
TheBigPhilbowski
porkchopexpress
Luke
lyellfinch
Missing Link
calamity jane
Dave.
asdral225
teassoc
Prairieswan
HHealer
sharky066
18 posters

Go down

What team are you a fan of or teams  Empty What team are you a fan of or teams

Post by sharky066 Sun 30 Jan 2011, 1:43 pm

Only been to the New York and New Jersey area on holidays
I like the Mets over the Yankees
only one reason why the DH rule, I know its a small reason but I think the pitcher should hit as well
Mets - 1

sharky066

Back to top Go down

What team are you a fan of or teams  Empty Re: What team are you a fan of or teams

Post by HHealer Wed 16 Feb 2011, 2:06 am

The Red Sox, as is my wife (she's third generation Sox fan) So there's no problem watching a 3 hour Sox game in my house! 8)
We're looking forward big time to the Red Sox this season.

HHealer

Back to top Go down

What team are you a fan of or teams  Empty Re: What team are you a fan of or teams

Post by Prairieswan Fri 18 Feb 2011, 11:51 pm

As a boy I was a Pirate fan . Being a Canadian , once the Expos came along they were my team till the Blue Jays .... quite the ship jumper eh Lol!! . The only game I seen live was the Expos vs the Cubs at old Jarry Park .

Prairieswan

Back to top Go down

Post by teassoc Sat 19 Feb 2011, 12:31 pm

I have some family in Toronto, been there loads of times and seen the Blue Jays quite a lot. So I'm a Jays fan and looking forward to see how Bautista is going to do this year, now that he has that well earned 5 year package.

Pitching line-up also looks strong this year despite the loss of their opening game starter (Marcum).

teassoc

Back to top Go down

Post by asdral225 Sat 19 Feb 2011, 8:08 pm

I've seen a few baseball films and have had a passing interest in the sport, after watching "The Rookie" about Jim Morris I decided to follow Tampa Bay
asdral225
asdral225

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Sat 19 Feb 2011, 8:46 pm

Prairieswan wrote:As a boy I was a Pirate fan . Being a Canadian , once the Expos came along they were my team till the Blue Jays .... quite the ship jumper eh Lol!! . The only game I seen live was the Expos vs the Cubs at old Jarry Park .

Is that you Breezy?

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by Prairieswan Sat 19 Feb 2011, 8:59 pm

:shooter: Just shootin the Breeze !! Ya , it's me thumbsup

Prairieswan

Back to top Go down

Post by Prairieswan Sat 19 Feb 2011, 9:07 pm

" The Sandlot " Me & my sons watched it many times as they were growing up , good stuff !!

Prairieswan

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Sat 19 Feb 2011, 10:21 pm

Good to see you Breezy!

I should declare that I am a Dodgers fan.

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by Prairieswan Sat 19 Feb 2011, 11:31 pm

An L A Fan !!. Well Dodger Dave , everyone has their problems !! :yellow card:

Prairieswan

Back to top Go down

Post by calamity jane Mon 21 Feb 2011, 4:42 pm

Seabreeze! I wondered where you were.

As an adopted Bostonian, it's the Red Sox for me. I lived close enough to Fenway Park that I could see the light from the floodlights from my apartment window.

Been to quite a few games and have also been to Wrigley Field to watch the Cubs.

Really looking forward to the new season.

calamity jane

Back to top Go down

Post by Prairieswan Mon 21 Feb 2011, 5:51 pm

After reading many of your posts over the years Calamity , I think the adoption has taken quite well . You were blessed to hit a city like Boston when your americanization came down the pipeline , a nice Irish place I might add . P.S. .. I finally got a goalie in Reimer , beware now !!

Prairieswan

Back to top Go down

Post by sharky066 Mon 21 Feb 2011, 6:29 pm

never been to the Boston area just the NY/NJ area
love to go to Boston sometime and see a game

sharky066

Back to top Go down

Post by calamity jane Mon 21 Feb 2011, 8:06 pm

I can bore for England about how fantastic it is living in Boston. I just wish my Bruins could be as successful as the other professional sports teams in the city. Come on hockey gods, it's our turn now.

Sorry, that was slightly off topic. Going to Florida tomorrow for work/vacation, and am going to try and get to see a spring training game. Sadly not the Red Sox, but as long as it's not the Yankees, I'll be fine.

calamity jane

Back to top Go down

Post by Missing Link Mon 28 Feb 2011, 7:26 pm

Don't really like baseball its a boring sport

Missing Link

Back to top Go down

Post by calamity jane Tue 01 Mar 2011, 3:47 pm

Ahh, meet the new 606, same as the old 606. I really don't care for numpties coming in here and telling me they think baseball is boring. I don't go onto your board to diss whatever sport you like, so would appreciate it if you did the same.

calamity jane

Back to top Go down

Post by sharky066 Tue 01 Mar 2011, 8:56 pm

calamity jane wrote:Ahh, meet the new 606, same as the old 606. I really don't care for numpties coming in here and telling me they think baseball is boring. I don't go onto your board to diss whatever sport you like, so would appreciate it if you did the same.
he was just giving his view, sometimes I find it boring, ok I like the game but I think American Football is one of the worst sports out there
away too too many breaks and stops in the game

sharky066

Back to top Go down

What team are you a fan of or teams  Empty I agree with calamity jane

Post by lyellfinch Sun 06 Mar 2011, 3:37 am

sharky066 wrote:
calamity jane wrote:Ahh, meet the new 606, same as the old 606. I really don't care for numpties coming in here and telling me they think baseball is boring. I don't go onto your board to diss whatever sport you like, so would appreciate it if you did the same.
he was just giving his view, sometimes I find it boring, ok I like the game but I think American Football is one of the worst sports out there
away too too many breaks and stops in the game

There is absolutely nothing wrong with not liking any sport. However, if you go out of your way to a bulletin board expressly dedicated to discussing that sport to announce to everyone that you don't like that sport that is a bit odd. That being said I am a Boston Red Sox fan because I am from New England and my father, grandfather, as well as the rest of my family are all Red Sox fans.
lyellfinch
lyellfinch

Back to top Go down

Post by calamity jane Mon 07 Mar 2011, 3:17 pm

Thank you Lyellfinch. That was precisely my point. If someone comes in here and says "0K baseball looks really boring, tell me what's so good about it" then I'm more than happy to oblige. But to come into a baseball forum purely to announce you don't like the sport just smacks of trollery to me.

Go Sox!

calamity jane

Back to top Go down

Post by sharky066 Mon 07 Mar 2011, 4:59 pm

calamity jane wrote:Thank you Lyellfinch. That was precisely my point. If someone comes in here and says "0K baseball looks really boring, tell me what's so good about it" then I'm more than happy to oblige. But to come into a baseball forum purely to announce you don't like the sport just smacks of trollery to me.

Go Sox!
Baseball is a great game, been to around 15 games in my life so far
met a couple of the big players in the game Derek Jeter and Bernie Williams and insulted Mo Vaugh laughing
Always look forward to the new baseball season
But if a person comes on here and says he thinks baseball is doring, I know the person and he grew up with the sport, thats his view he was mainly talking to me or having a pop at me,
I pick on him and the sports hes a fan of like American Football and Wrestling Rolling Eyes

sharky066

Back to top Go down

What team are you a fan of or teams  Empty I'd love to hear the Mo Vaughn story

Post by lyellfinch Tue 08 Mar 2011, 12:26 am

sharky066 wrote:
calamity jane wrote:Thank you Lyellfinch. That was precisely my point. If someone comes in here and says "0K baseball looks really boring, tell me what's so good about it" then I'm more than happy to oblige. But to come into a baseball forum purely to announce you don't like the sport just smacks of trollery to me.

Go Sox!
Baseball is a great game, been to around 15 games in my life so far
met a couple of the big players in the game Derek Jeter and Bernie Williams and insulted Mo Vaugh laughing
Always look forward to the new baseball season
But if a person comes on here and says he thinks baseball is doring, I know the person and he grew up with the sport, thats his view he was mainly talking to me or having a pop at me,
I pick on him and the sports hes a fan of like American Football and Wrestling Rolling Eyes

Mo Vaughn was one of my favorite Red Sox players as a teen, would you mind telling that story of how you insulted him? It seems like a worthy and entertaining tale.
lyellfinch
lyellfinch

Back to top Go down

Post by sharky066 Tue 08 Mar 2011, 4:17 pm

Mo Vaughn was one of my favorite Red Sox players as a teen, would you mind telling that story of how you insulted him? It seems like a worthy and entertaining tale.[/quote]

Well my first time in America and going to my first baseball game, I went to the ballpark early to see Yankee and the Red Sox at the Stadium,
Not alot of people were at the stadium at this time only a few at the players door into the stadium. walked over to ask people what they are doing and before somebody gave me an answer the couple of players were turning up, Thats when I met Jeter and Bernie Williams, after that I was walking away and a big fat bloke laughing was walking up to the stadium and a few fans were getting their knickers in a twist, I went over to see who it was and asked a fan who it was, It was Mo Vaughn, I said to the fan no F---ing way hes a ball player, hes a fat F---, Mo turned around and said I am a player and like I said to the fan I said to him laughing he didn't like it and walked away

sharky066

Back to top Go down

Post by lyellfinch Tue 08 Mar 2011, 6:10 pm

sharky066 wrote:
Mo Vaughn was one of my favorite Red Sox players as a teen, would you mind telling that story of how you insulted him? It seems like a worthy and entertaining tale.

Well my first time in America and going to my first baseball game, I went to the ballpark early to see Yankee and the Red Sox at the Stadium,
Not alot of people were at the stadium at this time only a few at the players door into the stadium. walked over to ask people what they are doing and before somebody gave me an answer the couple of players were turning up, Thats when I met Jeter and Bernie Williams, after that I was walking away and a big fat bloke laughing was walking up to the stadium and a few fans were getting their knickers in a twist, I went over to see who it was and asked a fan who it was, It was Mo Vaughn, I said to the fan no F---ing way hes a ball player, hes a fat F---, Mo turned around and said I am a player and like I said to the fan I said to him laughing he didn't like it and walked away [/quote]

That story was entirely worth it, thanks Sharky. Interestingly enough Mo Vaughn used to play cricket for the United States as well. He is on the very small list of athletes with experience in both sports. You need to be careful though, my friends and I once heckled an opposing team's player and every time he came up to bat he sent some line drives that were headed right for us along the third base side into the crowd. Good times!
lyellfinch
lyellfinch

Back to top Go down

What team are you a fan of or teams  Empty Which team are you a fan of?

Post by Luke Wed 16 Mar 2011, 4:41 pm

Baltimore orioles, the losers of the first game ever saw (v yankees on channel 5),
now if we could just change division
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by calamity jane Wed 16 Mar 2011, 5:37 pm

Sorry Tiger, but you're not allowed to change division. I enjoy watching the Sox play the Orioles too much for you to do that Smile

Though come to think of it, the last time I was at Fenway back in September, the Orioles hammered the Red Sox 9-1. Ouch!

calamity jane

Back to top Go down

Post by porkchopexpress Wed 16 Mar 2011, 5:52 pm

I have only just started watching baseball, haven't got a team. Who should I go with? They don't have to be the best, I'm no glory hunter. Just a team that can hold your interest has some interesting players, some nutters maybe, a good coach, I like teams with history, so no new franchises. Who should be on my short list?

porkchopexpress

Back to top Go down

Post by calamity jane Wed 16 Mar 2011, 6:15 pm

Hmmm, looking at your list of requirements, I would say the Chicago Cubs would be the perfect team for you to follow. And if you ever want to go and see them play, then Chicago is a fine city and Wrigley Field is a fabulous ballpark (especially on a hot sunny day with a cold beer in your hand)

Or you could use this very helpful flowchart which someone very kindly posted on 606 a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.interpretationbydesign.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/IBD_baseball_flowchart.jpg

(Basically anyone but the Yankees)

Last edited by calamity jane on Wed 16 Mar 2011, 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added flowchart)

calamity jane

Back to top Go down

What team are you a fan of or teams  Empty to calamity jane

Post by Luke Wed 16 Mar 2011, 6:56 pm

Stop being so selfish? just think of my pain please.

Though, if we win a game against the red soxs, yankee's or rays, it's a great
feeling. Win a seris,god it is such as agood feeling, pretty much like winning the
world seris. Well what i imagine it would be like to win the world seris anyway.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by calamity jane Wed 16 Mar 2011, 10:13 pm

Haha! Seeing your team win the World Series is pretty good; but if it's any consolation, I do feel like a complete glory hunting bandwagonner for supporting the Red Sox. I moved to Boston in the summer of 2007 and eight weeks later they go and win the World Series. Great timing.

Quite fancy going to Baltimore to catch an Orioles game this season. Camden Yards looks like a great ballpark.

calamity jane

Back to top Go down

Post by lyellfinch Thu 17 Mar 2011, 5:03 am

porkchopexpress wrote:I have only just started watching baseball, haven't got a team. Who should I go with? They don't have to be the best, I'm no glory hunter. Just a team that can hold your interest has some interesting players, some nutters maybe, a good coach, I like teams with history, so no new franchises. Who should be on my short list?

I'll give you a rundown of all the pre-expansion teams, i.e.; teams that were in existence before 1960.

Ill start with the American League - it's more offense oriented but with less in game strategy thanks to the designated hitter rule.

Boston Red Sox - Started out as a powerhouse team but after trading the greatest player in the history of the game away to their archrivals the Yankees ,they then went went 86 years with nothing but dramatic losses to show for it. The curse was finally broken in 2004 with a dramatic comeback against the Bronx Bombers (a nickname for the Yankees) leading to a championship.
New York Yankees - If an American told you he was interested in football and you kindly explained the rules, traditions, and club histories to him and then he just blankly stared at you and said: "I'm going to be a fan of Manchester United! They win a lot!" how would you feel? If it wouldn't bother you you're probably a Yankee fan.
Baltimore Orioles - Formerly the St. Louis Browns, they relocated to Baltimore in the fifties. They had a great team in the 60's and were strong in the 80's and 90's when they had Cal Ripken, one of the greatest players in the game ever. The last decade has literally been the worst in their history but their new manager specializes in developing and rebuilding teams so they may be poised for a turnaround in the next few years.
Cleveland Indians - currently on a 50 year title drought, they have good playoff runs but have been unable to secure a championship. They seem to go in and out every few years, 2007 they were eliminated in a very well played semi-final but have been closer to the bottom then the top since then. Shin Soo Choo is one of the best players in the league right now.
Chicago White Sox - one of the reasons for the American League's early success was placing a team in Chicago's working class south side. The Cubs may be the favorites of most midwesterners but the White Sox are the team that true "baseball" fans of Illinois root for. Barack Obama is one of their more well known fans. There is a well known bit of history where the 1918 Sox became known as the "Black Sox" after it was discovered they were paid off by a gangster to throw the World Series. That ghost was put to rest in2005 when they won their first world series since the scandal.
Detroit Tigers - A storied history with legendary players such as Ty Cobb. They've recently developed a rivalry with the nearby Minnesota Twins who they often vie with for a central division crown.
Minnesota Twins - Formerly the hapless Washington Senators, perennial bottom feeders of the A.L. they moved to Minnesota in the sixties and continued on the same path until they won behind their star center fielder Kirby Puckett in the late eighties/early 90's. They have been a strong team the last decade and have a lot of great players like Joe Mauer their homegrown catcher and Justin Morneau who is an excellent first basemen.
Oakland Athletic's or A's - First location was Philadelphia, then Kansas City, now Oakland they are one of the more decorated teams in the games history. The Yankees mid to late 70's dynasty was built on a foundation of players bought from the championship Oakland A's team. In this decade they are known for finding ways to win without having the resources of the large market teams like New York and Boston by using in depth statistical analysis. See Moneyball by Michael Lewis for more o. The A's and methods they employ. .

I'll write you a corresponding National League piece tomorrow, its late and I need to go to bed, I'm exhausted from typing all this out on my iPhone Smile if you have any questions for me just post and I'll be glad to answer.
lyellfinch
lyellfinch

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBigPhilbowski Fri 18 Mar 2011, 7:19 pm

porkchopexpress wrote:I have only just started watching baseball, haven't got a team. Who should I go with? They don't have to be the best, I'm no glory hunter. Just a team that can hold your interest has some interesting players, some nutters maybe, a good coach, I like teams with history, so no new franchises. Who should be on my short list?

Calamity Jane suggested the Cubs which is a great choice, Carlos Zambrano is nuts, they have plenty of history and also since the Cubbies play the bulk of their games during the day you will be able to listen to them live over the internet and not have to be up all night to do it.

TheBigPhilbowski

Back to top Go down

Post by teassoc Fri 18 Mar 2011, 8:13 pm

Of course the schedules include home and away games, so many away games will be night games. Generally speaking, weekend games are typically played 1 pm or so local time. Weekday games other than on bank holidays will be night games starting around 7 or 8 pm local time. Games usually take 2 - 3 hours.

teassoc

Back to top Go down

Post by porkchopexpress Sat 19 Mar 2011, 9:41 am

Thanks for the help I'll look up a few of these teams - I like the sound of the Cubs and maybe the Indians - Sooner or later that title drought will run out - as my American football team is the Browns (so I'm used to losing seasons).
I've watched a few games, streaming online but there's no way I could listen to a game, way too much jargon to understand, and without pictures that'd be fatal. Last year I was just watching whoever I could and I always seemed to be watching Colorado or Washington.

porkchopexpress

Back to top Go down

Post by simon1288 Mon 21 Mar 2011, 3:02 pm

Red Sox and AA minor league Portland Sea Dogs

simon1288

Back to top Go down

Post by Gmen Mon 11 Apr 2011, 11:21 pm

The New York Metropolitans.

It's a a toss away year but I like the fact that we are back to rebuilding our farm system and the proof is there:
Davis, Thole, Mejia, Tejada, and Havens. We'll be back albeit slowly and painfully....

Gmen

Back to top Go down

Post by porkchopexpress Sat 16 Apr 2011, 10:27 am

Made my choice: Indians and Rockies!

porkchopexpress

Back to top Go down

Post by The Mangler US_UK Sun 17 Apr 2011, 1:30 am

Lived in the U.S. in Arizona for donkey's years and when they got the Arizona Diamondbacks as an expansion team, I started watching baseball and became a fan (though I'm still an NFL fan first). Anyway, the 2001 World Series where we beat the Yankees in the 9th inning of game 7 is still one of my favorite sports moments,

The Mangler US_UK

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 22 May 2011, 12:35 pm

Yankee fan here, good win last night.
But sad news to hear that Expo and Met Hall Of Famer Gary Carter has been diagnosed with four small brain tumours - prognosis as yet undetermined, more tests this week. An essential part of two great teams, one of the great catchers of the past thirty five years.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Thu 02 Jun 2011, 12:50 am

I just started this season I am a Mets fan

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by sharky066 Thu 02 Jun 2011, 4:54 pm

Manning-to-Manningham wrote:I just started this season I am a Mets fan
Why a Mets fan just asking because you just started this year following baseball or the Mets?

sharky066

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Thu 02 Jun 2011, 5:01 pm

I started watching baseball this year and decided to choose the Mets because they were the first team I saw live, they beat the Nationals on ESPN America, and because they're from NY and are not the Yankees. I'm a Giants fan in NFL.

CFCNick

Back to top Go down

Post by sharky066 Thu 02 Jun 2011, 5:06 pm

I saw the Giants (NFL) play up the road here in Wembley a few months ago now, I have see the Mets play live and it was the first team I went to see in New York and liked the Stadium, Main reason I prefer the No DH rule over the Yankees

sharky066

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Thu 02 Jun 2011, 5:09 pm

What's the No DH rule?

CFCNick

Back to top Go down

Post by sharky066 Thu 02 Jun 2011, 5:11 pm

The pitcher for the Yankees sits down and a DH player hits for him The pitcher for the Mets pitches and can hit the ball when its his turn as well

sharky066

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Thu 02 Jun 2011, 5:20 pm

Oh, so the Mets don't have a DH, surely that's better than having one because the DH could seize up and won't be as quick at running to 1st base.

I'm hoping to get over to NY soon, I'm saving up to go to Super Bowl 48, so obviously there won't be any baseball. I'd have to make two trips.

CFCNick

Back to top Go down

Post by sharky066 Thu 02 Jun 2011, 5:38 pm

Yes the Mets don't have a DH player,over ten years I go to New York for my holidays so have seen the Mets play around 8 times and the Yankees around 6 times
it matters who is in the city when I go over

sharky066

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteCamry Fri 03 Jun 2011, 2:08 pm

sharky066 wrote:
Why a Mets fan just asking because you just started this year following baseball or the Mets?

Well, the Beatles played at Shea Stadium twice in the '60s.

That has to count for somethin'! Donnit?

WhiteCamry

Back to top Go down

Post by sharky066 Fri 03 Jun 2011, 3:11 pm

WhiteCamry wrote:
sharky066 wrote:

Well, the Beatles played at Shea Stadium twice in the '60s.

That has to count for somethin'! Donnit?
Not a great fan of the beatles but thats me
Shea was a great stadium

sharky066

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down