The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

European Tour - BMW PGA Championship

+25
navyblueshorts
I'm never wrong
Diggers
McLaren
Humpyd
1GrumpyGolfer
dynamark
super_realist
Fader
Slowride
mystiroakey
Shotrock
GPB
twoeightnine
jimbohammers
Eyetoldyouso
kwinigolfer
robopz
Caito
Skydriver
John Cregan
EmmDee57
Doon the Water
Lairdy
princedracula
29 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

European Tour - BMW PGA Championship - Page 4 Empty European Tour - BMW PGA Championship

Post by princedracula Thu 24 May 2012, 9:21 am

First topic message reminder :

It's Wentworth time again! And thank goodness the weather is great this week, for a change... According to the course keepers it's been probably the most challenging buildup they ever had for this event, with one of the warmest March on record, followed by the wettest April on record and followed by a very cold and wet first half of May. Not exactly what Els&Co. would've hoped for, as they'll be trying desperately to make some of that loud criticism of the course changes heard over the last couple of years a thing of the past... All eyes will be once again on those approach shots to the 18th (especially Lee's), but according to Ernie that particular problem has been resolved by some simple changes to the fringe rough and that should make it less likely for the ball to spin back into the water. And talking of rough and Westwood, I haven't seen it myself, but I read reports that Westy has been growing some rough of his own lately, sporting now apparently a beard Shocked , hopefully that'll bring him more luck this year if he decides to keep it. Lee has been much more diplomatic this year in his statements about the course changes and what happened last year in that play-off, but he couldn't stop saying that the greens are some of the slowest he's seen all year...

The Lee-Luke battle for #1 stole the show last year and that should be again a talking point this year as Luke will once again be trying to capture the #1 spot, only this time from McIlroy. Coetzee and the former surprise winner from two years ago, Simon Khan, are having a good start this morning. It's always disappointing to see top European Tour players like Garcia and Oosthuisen missing from the starting line up of the tour's flagship event, but there is undoubtedly plenty of strength and depth in there to make us hope for another enthralling Wentworth week!

princedracula

Back to top Go down

European Tour - BMW PGA Championship - Page 4 Empty Re: European Tour - BMW PGA Championship

Post by Tiler76 Tue 29 May 2012, 2:00 pm

Mac

I don't think Luke did a lot wrong on that Sunday either (though my memory isn't the best). I recall a few putts lipped out on the front 9 whereas Tiger holed a couple of long ones, as you say it was all over early though.

Luke's lack of contention in the majors is baffling though (and concerning), hopefully something he'll put right in a few weeks! What shouldn't be in doubt though, is given his record of closing out in the last 15 months, if he does get in contention he has a great chance of winning.

Tiler76

Back to top Go down

European Tour - BMW PGA Championship - Page 4 Empty Re: European Tour - BMW PGA Championship

Post by robopz Tue 29 May 2012, 2:59 pm

super_realist wrote:Mac, that was six years ago. The fortunes and careers of Cocknose Woods and Luke Donald have been completely reversed. Only one of them looks capable of winning a major now.

Naaa.... Luke still has a chance... :-)

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 29 May 2012, 3:06 pm

robopz wrote:
super_realist wrote:Mac, that was six years ago. The fortunes and careers of Cocknose Woods and Luke Donald have been completely reversed. Only one of them looks capable of winning a major now.

Naaa.... Luke still has a chance... :-)

Since Luke began his run of form, lets say the start of 2010. Woods has had 3 major top 5's. Lukes had one. Donald has done some excellent things in the past 24 months but looking like hje is going to win majors hasnt been one of them thus far.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Tue 29 May 2012, 3:15 pm

Fast forward ... Luke and Tiger coming down the stretch later this year with a major in their gun sights ... they will both certainly be nervous ... Tiger expecting to be there in the winners circle again, Luke to prove he belongs. Absolutely more pressure on Luke - can he finally close the deal?

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Caito Tue 29 May 2012, 6:10 pm

I wonder if Lawrie will reconsider his decision not to play the US open after his good result at thr PGA. He must be very close to having secured a rc spot now so might as well have a crack at it. After all he must be in with a decent chance of winning another major this year. However I could quite understand if he just didn't fancy another trip to the states having already made 3 this year and with another 2 and hopefully 3 planned (not to mention the 4 trips to the mid east and 1 to China already racked up this season).

Bernie Gallagher is in the Scotsman today saying something very similar.

Caito

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4