The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Modern Fights with Old School Safety Rules

5 posters

Go down

Modern Fights with Old School Safety Rules Empty Modern Fights with Old School Safety Rules

Post by Guest Fri May 25, 2012 12:56 pm

With a severely split nose, Marciano pleaded with the referee for the fight to continue. It was a moment of indecision, but the referee gave Rocky the chance and he responded by knocking Charles out. In the modern game, however, it’s unlikely Rocky would have got that chance. If the fight was almost halted back in the '50s, I can’t see it continuing with today’s more stringent safety measures. In that sense, the modern game would deny Marciano his unbeaten legacy and boxing one of its great turnarounds.

It’s possible that modern safety practices would reverse the results of many historical fights, but what of the flipside of this. If the safety measures today were those of – say - Rocky’s era, are there any fights where, in your mind, a turnaround was on the cards but the fight was stopped through injury?

Back to top Go down

Modern Fights with Old School Safety Rules Empty Re: Modern Fights with Old School Safety Rules

Post by azania Fri May 25, 2012 1:00 pm

censored

azania

Back to top Go down

Modern Fights with Old School Safety Rules Empty Re: Modern Fights with Old School Safety Rules

Post by bellchees Fri May 25, 2012 1:09 pm

Taylor wouldn't have been stopped against Chavez if it took place in the 50's, thats a big one that stands out for me.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Fri May 25, 2012 1:14 pm

azania wrote: censored

OK

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Fri May 25, 2012 1:15 pm

I didn't really answer the question there, I'll try again. I havent seen the fight in a while but if memory serves Gatti was still very much in with a chance of taking out Angel Manfredy before being stopped on cuts, that may have had a different outcome with the relaxed safety laws of the 1950's.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri May 25, 2012 1:23 pm

One thing that strikes me when I watch the old fights is the way that before the 'neutral corner' rule a guy would knock down his opponent and then stand over him, arm cocked, ready to unload more punishment as soon as his victim looked like he might have started thinking about possibly maybe getting to his feet.

This would make the first knockdown crucial, and any modern fight where a guy has gotten up off the floor to win wouldn't have happened.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Fri May 25, 2012 1:31 pm

Larry Holmes v Ernie Shavers in this day I believe the ref would stop it,brilliant powers of recovery by Holmes but he was on rubber legs when he got up.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down