The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ospreys outstanding record against Irish opposition this season.

+12
rodders
LordDowlais
Knowsit17
Cari
Mickado
Notch
Pot Hale
Feckless Rogue
Standulstermen
Smirnoffpriest
wales606
idris
16 posters

Go down

Ospreys outstanding record against Irish opposition this season. Empty Ospreys outstanding record against Irish opposition this season.

Post by idris Sat 26 May 2012, 9:53 am

The Ospreys have so far defeated Leinster twice this season and Munster 3 times!

Pretty outstanding record (for any club).

I do fear though that tomorrow will be one game too many as Leinster will be desperate for revenge and they are in amazing form.

My only hope is that they are tired from the Heineken Cup win....

Anyway good luck Ospreys there is no reason why they can't make it 6 out of 6 this season!

idris

Back to top Go down

Ospreys outstanding record against Irish opposition this season. Empty Re: Ospreys outstanding record against Irish opposition this season.

Post by wales606 Sat 26 May 2012, 11:22 am

What about Ulster?
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Ospreys outstanding record against Irish opposition this season. Empty Re: Ospreys outstanding record against Irish opposition this season.

Post by idris Sat 26 May 2012, 12:16 pm

Who?

idris

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Sat 26 May 2012, 12:16 pm

and Connacht? Very Happy

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 26 May 2012, 12:25 pm

1 loss, 1 win against ulster (losing by 1pt in Ravenhill)

2 wins against Connacht

Really it more impressive to say they have won all their pro12 games against Irish opposition except a 1pt loss away in Ravenhill.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Sat 26 May 2012, 12:30 pm

Bear in in mind your 1 point loss was off the back of a last minute try which was possibly the worst tmo decision in history.

That being said the record over Leinster and munster is impressive. Leinster will still be favourites tomorrow mind you. Given that they have lost the last two finals I think they will edge it. Ospreys definitely going in the right direction mind you

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Sat 26 May 2012, 12:42 pm

I think that Welsh sides more than any other, are incredibly dangerous when they're confident. They can really play above themselves when they're full of self belief. Ospreys have won 6 in a row and just thrashed Munster 45-10. So they'll be very dangerous indeed.

I also think Poite will benefit the Ospreys. He tends to favour the scrum that's on top regardless of who is actually doing anything illegal in the scrum. And his laissez faire attitude to the breakdown will benefit the excellent Tipuric. Although Jennings is great on the deck too. I really like Tipuric.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sat 26 May 2012, 12:42 pm

wales606 wrote:1 loss, 1 win against ulster (losing by 1pt in Ravenhill)

2 wins against Connacht

Really it more impressive to say they have won all their pro12 games against Irish opposition except a 1pt loss away in Ravenhill.

It is much more impressive. It's nearly as good as Leinster's record in Pro12 against all opposition except for two more losses.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 26 May 2012, 1:13 pm

I wouldn't say results against Ulster, Munster and Connacht have much bearing; although the Ospreys will take confidence from them, Leinster play a very different style of rugby.

But I'm sure Ospreys will fancy their chances and hopefully it's a good game; I can't see an upset however.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Sat 26 May 2012, 2:00 pm

The Ospreys have never met Heineken Cup Leinster. They will tomorrow. Good luck!

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat 26 May 2012, 2:12 pm

Is this a WUM or whaaa? Rolling Eyes Where's the faceslap doo-dah when you want it?

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sat 26 May 2012, 2:56 pm

Mickado wrote:The Ospreys have never met Heineken Cup Leinster. They will tomorrow. Good luck!

Does the 27-3 win at the beginning of the season not count as beating HC Leinster? Or the win at the RDS just a week or two before Leinster thrashed the Blues?

I'm actually feeling preetty confident about tomorrow. I wouldn't have three months ago but Ospreys have come into their own since under the refreshing new regime of Tandy. If they bring the same game that destroyed Munster to Dublin I can see a repeat of the 2010 final. If Leinster bring their best as well I can see a cracking game. We'll soon find out Ospreys outstanding record against Irish opposition this season. 3933776953

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Sat 26 May 2012, 4:35 pm

Ospreys didn't beat a full strength Leinster side. If Joe Schmidt had opted for uncontested scrums, which I think he could have done, the Ospreys wouldn't have won in the RDS. They won because we ended up with a rookie loosehead playing on the tighthead side against Adam Jones. With predictable results. And they still only won by 1 point with such a huge advantage.

For this game we'll have Mike Ross starting and Nathan White on the bench.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 26 May 2012, 4:39 pm

Even so, it can't be argued that Ospreys won't take confidence from that game. Still expect a Leinster win, but I would argue that Ospreys are the best equipped side to beat Leinster in the league; they have a better chance than Ulster, Munster or Glasgow would. They have the set-piece and the quality openside needed plus the capacity to score tries. But, as has been said so many times, this Leinster team don't have a weakness. Just slightly weaker strengths.

Hopefully it will be a close game, a good game, and Leinster will win. I think they will. They have to be heavy favourites- an upset is more likely here than last week and I expect Ospreys to as some tough questions of Leinster, but in the end they'll come through for an historic double.

Last edited by Notch on Sat 26 May 2012, 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Sat 26 May 2012, 4:43 pm

Notch wrote:I would argue that Ospreys are the best equipped side to beat Leinster in the league.

I agree. I'd be almost sure of a win if we were playing anyone else to be honest. Ospreys have a great record against us.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sat 26 May 2012, 4:44 pm

Neither did Ospreys have a full-strength side that day in fairness. Adam Jones only came on late in the game, Shane was rested and the back row was mainly second-choice with the exception of Tipuric.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 26 May 2012, 4:50 pm

And of course, the Ospreys beat a full strength Leinster in Dublin in the final only a couple of years ago.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Sat 26 May 2012, 5:00 pm

Yep. We weren't great back then in Cheika's last year though. It had all gone a bit stale.

I just hope it's a sunny day. And the two teams bring their absolute A-game, and it's a great advertisement for the PRO12 and Celtic rugby.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 28 May 2012, 2:23 pm

Feckless Rogue wrote:Yep. We weren't great back then in Cheika's last year though. It had all gone a bit stale.

I just hope it's a sunny day. And the two teams bring their absolute A-game, and it's a great advertisement for the PRO12 and Celtic rugby.

well Feckless, you got your wish. Ale

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 28 May 2012, 2:29 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
Feckless Rogue wrote:Yep. We weren't great back then in Cheika's last year though. It had all gone a bit stale.

well Feckless, you got your wish. Ale

Ouch...... laughing ...... Run
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 28 May 2012, 2:38 pm

Good job the Os weren't playing Glasgow Warriors again this season then?! Wink

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Tue 29 May 2012, 8:21 am

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Good job the Os weren't playing Glasgow Warriors again this season then?! Wink

Or any season! Glasgow are the Ospreys bogey team, though Saracens and the Scarlets mad have also remained undefeated against the Ospreys in 2 games this season.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Intotouch Wed 30 May 2012, 10:13 pm

We're all afraid of the Ospreys now!

Intotouch

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Wed 30 May 2012, 10:15 pm

Scary ghost

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 30 May 2012, 11:23 pm

Ospreys outstanding record against Irish opposition this season. Smiley-scared004
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down