The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cooper Vuna and my Riddle

5 posters

Go down

Cooper Vuna and my Riddle Empty Cooper Vuna and my Riddle

Post by anotherworldofpain Sat 26 May 2012, 10:29 pm

So Cooper Vuna is being talk about in big circles that he will play Wallabies rugby against Wales.

He is so exciting to watch and make a good combinations in Melbourne with so many already Wallabies like Kurtley Beale. Last year was top try scorer there and also win try of the year.

Today he was electric playing against Hurricanes even though Melbourne were beaten up on the scoreboard.

But my riddle today is that Cooper Vuna is born in Auckland, New Zealand. So why he can play for Australia? And with Kiwi coach and already one Kiwi Cooper (Quade) in the Wallaby, there is one piece of trivia. How many times did two players from the same wrong country playing for another team and both have the same name?

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Cooper Vuna and my Riddle Empty Re: Cooper Vuna and my Riddle

Post by blackcanelion Sun 27 May 2012, 1:58 am

Firstly, never stop posting. You are great......................

Secondly no idea to your last question...

Lastly. Cooper Vuna is an interesting case. He's obviously a kiwi of Tongan heritage who moved to Australia to play rugby league. He's been in the Kiwis training squad and I think played for Tonga (league). In Union he was in the Tongan traing squad, but I think he still qualifies to paly for Australia (or NZ or Tonga should he shoose).

In terms of international rugby he reminds me of Hape, Vainakolo or Henry (or potentially Setaimata Sa in the future). It doesn't sit well with me. My feeling is that if you move to a country to play rugby (union or league) you shouldn't qualify to play for them. That's a personal view, and we regualrly debate it to death on here.

More interesting is the sustainability of rugby in NZ. We are really struggling to hold onto talent here. To a limited degree Vuna represents this. he is a former schooldboy union player (albiet also a junior league player). We're losing many union players overseas. They go to places in Europe, Japan and Australia. We are also losing a steady stream of talent to rugby league. There are a number of NZ secondary school rugby players in the current junior warriers, some of them have no league background at all. The same is true of the senior warriors team and the kiwis.

I listened to an interview with Graham Henry recently and he said the same thing. The problem is that league clubs offer a lot more money for junior contracts and there are a lot of clubs (many Autralian league clubs ahave scouts and development squads in NZ). Schools in NZ regularly travel to Australia and players are subject to offers there (e.g. Benji Marshall was at a touch tournement in Australia when he was approached to try out for a league team).

Added to that is this is the contracting of younger r union players to Australian and European clubs and there's a real issue for the game here.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sun 27 May 2012, 8:00 am

anotherworldofpain
Maybe australia have also a Otahuhu.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sun 27 May 2012, 9:20 am

Evans and Evans for Scotland?

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Sun 27 May 2012, 11:30 am

For some reason I'm thinking of the name Shingler...

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down