The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Depressing there is no live Test Cricket on Terrestrial TV

+4
Fists of Fury
Stella
Gregers
gboycottnut
8 posters

Go down

Depressing there is no live Test Cricket on Terrestrial TV Empty Depressing there is no live Test Cricket on Terrestrial TV

Post by gboycottnut Mon 28 May 2012, 10:43 am

Unbelievably the French Open Tennis is on ITV4 every day throughout this fortnight in uninterrupted manner from 10am in the morning to 8 pm in the evening. If only this was the same for a few Test cricket matches in England as test cricket although it is on Sky Sports now just isn't the same as when it was on one of the free terrestrial channels.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Depressing there is no live Test Cricket on Terrestrial TV Empty Re: Depressing there is no live Test Cricket on Terrestrial TV

Post by Gregers Mon 28 May 2012, 10:45 am

It is better on Sky though!

Don't Five still have a recap show?

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Depressing there is no live Test Cricket on Terrestrial TV Empty Re: Depressing there is no live Test Cricket on Terrestrial TV

Post by Stella Mon 28 May 2012, 10:47 am

Aah, the days when you had the cricket and some crappy horse race sharing air time.

It would be nice but sky's coverage is very good.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Mon 28 May 2012, 10:48 am

Gregers wrote:It is better on Sky though!

Don't Five still have a recap show?

Well it may be better on Sky Sports in terms of broadcasting, but it just doesn't feel the same due to not everyone being able to watch it live. As for Channel 5's recap show, what a complete joke that is with the highlights online not being available until well past midnight.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Mon 28 May 2012, 10:50 am

Stella wrote:Aah, the days when you had the cricket and some crappy horse race sharing air time.

It would be nice but sky's coverage is very good.

Aah those were the golden days of watching cricket in the summer months. Cricket on the BBC with Peter West presenting with great commentary provided by Richie Benaud, Jim Laker and Ralph Dellor.

Anyway don't you feel that by not showing live coverage on a terrestrial channel, the interest levels of people will switch from following cricket to following other sports such as Tennis, Golf etc.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 28 May 2012, 10:59 am

The Sky production is absolutely tremendous, and whilst I agree it'd be great if such a production was available to the masses on terrestrial, you certainly won't hear me calling for change.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 28 May 2012, 11:06 am

Nostalgia does paper the cracks at times.

The coverage on the BBC was ok and free but you missed 30% anyway with the damn horse racing.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Mon 28 May 2012, 11:07 am

Fists of Fury wrote:The Sky production is absolutely tremendous, and whilst I agree it'd be great if such a production was available to the masses on terrestrial, you certainly won't hear me calling for change.

Why, have you got Sky?

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 28 May 2012, 11:28 am

Yeah Wink

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Mon 28 May 2012, 11:59 am

gboycottnut wrote:
Fists of Fury wrote:The Sky production is absolutely tremendous, and whilst I agree it'd be great if such a production was available to the masses on terrestrial, you certainly won't hear me calling for change.

Why, have you got Sky?

Who doesn't?!

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 28 May 2012, 12:12 pm

Gregers wrote:
gboycottnut wrote:

Why, have you got Sky?

Who doesn't?!

My parents haven't. They use to but decided to save some money and get rid. My dad does miss the Cricket and would agree with GBoycott Very Happy
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 28 May 2012, 1:12 pm

due to not playing much cricket if any at competitive level at school- the only reason i was into it was because it was on terresterial telly.

I think KP has been talking about the fact that cricket is getting into state schools- and that is great but we need some games on terrestrial telly as well if we are gonna get the most out of this change up

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Mon 28 May 2012, 1:21 pm

I've been watching on an Indian channel called Star Sports, which is frequently interrupted by ad breaks...but rather that than give my hard-earned to the Murdoch empire.

I don't expect the situation to change anytime soon. Sky has a global audience and is recognised around the world. All the terrestrial channels, which are mostly domestic (or at least have nowhere near the audience and marketing power of Sky) are having to compete with that and will continue to be out-bid for sports coverage until and unless they manage to turn themselves into worldwide broadcasters to the same kind of extent that Sky have.

dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Mon 28 May 2012, 1:22 pm

mystiroakey wrote:due to not playing much cricket if any at competitive level at school- the only reason i was into it was because it was on terresterial telly.

I think KP has been talking about the fact that cricket is getting into state schools- and that is great but we need some games on terrestrial telly as well if we are gonna get the most out of this change up

I agree there, as I do worry that a lot of young kids will grow up not being interested in the game due to being interested in other sports such as tennis which are now shown live right throughout a day on one of the terrestrial freeview channels.

Last edited by gboycottnut on Mon 28 May 2012, 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 28 May 2012, 1:27 pm

I cant live without sky- but as a kid i played or followed sports because i watched them on telly. Watching botham,lamby and goochy got me into cricket.

Watching faldo win got me into golf,

watching england dominate the 6n's for a bit got me into rugby.

I competed at a highish school level at athletics in junior school, and then when secondary school come about , A few of us from school were allowed to go to our golf club on sports afternoon instead of playing other sports without supervision!! so the rest of sports by passed me- at lunch time we played basketball over other sports.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Mon 28 May 2012, 2:29 pm

I got to play cricket at school and was lucky enough to watch it on terrestrial TV for a few years before Sky snapped it up.

Been watching since the days of Atherton, Stewart, Thorpe, Gough and Fraser (bit of a late comer to TV cricket).

Watching the 1990 world cup got me into football. Following Damon Hill got me into Formula 1. Watching Will Carling's England side in the 5 Nations got me into rugby (though I also played that at school).
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 28 May 2012, 2:35 pm

I was listening to it on radio for about 10 years

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 29 May 2012, 8:49 pm

i love sky sports cricket coverage, and hope it stays on sky sports.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 29 May 2012, 9:17 pm

I live in France, so don't mind too much Very Happy

Used to listen to it on Radio 4 (and then you missed the exciting bits when they went to the shipping forecast - those were the days Very Happy), nowadays I just watch it off the computer...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 29 May 2012, 10:55 pm

Mad - not so many years ago the shipping forecasts were the most exciting bits of Test coverage! Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down