The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best Offensive Players In The NFL- AFC North and AFC East

+5
Thomond
Good Golly I'm Olly
Colan (niner)
GSC
Derbyblue
9 posters

Go down

Best Offensive Players In The NFL- AFC North and AFC East Empty Best Offensive Players In The NFL- AFC North and AFC East

Post by Derbyblue Tue May 29, 2012 10:38 pm

In this series of articles, I will be looking at who I believe to be the best Offensive players for each team in the NFL. This time it’s a look at the AFC North normally better known for its Defences and the AFC East dominated by one of the biggest names in the league.

AFC North
Baltimore Ravens- Ray Rice, RB
Since getting the starting job in his second season Ray Rice has proven himself to be a back capable of carrying the load, rushing on average 17.75 times a game. He is also dangerous catching out of the backfield averaging just under 9 yards per reception. In his 3 seasons as the Ravens starting back he has rushed for over 1,000 yards each season, made it to over 2,000 all purpose yards twice and has been selected to the Pro Bowl twice. Despite the addition of a couple of rookie running backs I don’t expect Rice to be losing many carries, as I think cutting Rice’s carries would hurt their chances of making the postseason.
Spoiler:

Cincinnati Bengals- AJ Green, WR
Despite only being in the league for one season I still think AJ Green is their best offensive player and has shown why he was worth taking 4th overall in the 2011 draft. Green managed to lead all rookies in receptions and receiving yards, and was second in touchdowns, his 1,057 receiving yards also set a rookie franchise record. Green already has 4 100-yard games and he will continue to be Dalton’s main receiver for many years in Cincinnati.
Spoiler:

Cleveland Browns- Joe Thomas, OT
To me Joe Thomas is the perfect example of a ‘Franchise Left Tackle’, after being drafted with the 3rd pick in 2007 Thomas immediately stepped into the starting Left Tackle spot on Cleveland’s Offensive Line and hasn’t missed a game since. He has managed to play on a consistent level since he entered the league, only giving up 28 penalties and allowing 22.25 sacks, this play has seen him make it to 5 straight Pro Bowls and named to the AP’s first team All-Pro 3 times. On a team lacking offensive talent, Joe Thomas is a rare bright spot.
Spoiler:

Pittsburgh Steelers- Ben Roethlisberger, QB
Although Ben Roethlisberger was taken with the 11th pick in 2004 he was meant to only see the field sparingly, but due to injuries he got his shot early in his rookie season and went 13-0 in the regular season and took the Steelers to the AFC Championship game. Roethlisberger has taken the Steelers to the post season every year except from 2006 and 2009, leading them to 3 Super Bowl appearances, 2 of which they have won. Although he rarely makes it through the season without picking up an injury, as long as it doesn’t make him miss too many games Roethlisberger is likely to have the Steelers challenging for the Playoffs.
Spoiler:

AFC East
Buffalo Bills- Fred Jackson, RB
Fred Jackson at the age of 31, is getting old for a Running Back but that didn’t stop the Bills handing him an extension to keep him with in Buffalo until 2015 and you can’t blame them. The Bills offense seems to rely quite heavily on Jackson being able to carry the ball for them as he averaged 17 carries a game before his week 11 injury. When Jackson went down injured the Bills were 5-5 they finished the season 6-10, that could be coincidence but I think it’s more that teams didn’t have to respect the rush as much and could focus on disrupting the passing game. Jackson can only continue for so long, and he may not even make it to the end of his contract but he’s still their best offensive weapon and someone they need to keep until Spiller proves he can carry the load.
Spoiler:

Miami Dolphins- Jake Long, OT
Jake Long is another good example of a Franchise Left Tackle, since becoming just the 3rd Tackle to be taken 1st overall he has only missed 2 games in 4 seasons and has been voted to the Pro Bowl every year. Although Long hasn’t managed to match the standard of his rookie year where he allowed just 2.5 sacks and 5 penalties he is still considered to be one of the best tackles in the league. As with Thomas for Cleveland, Long is one of a few bright spots on Miami’s offense.
Spoiler:

New England Patriots- Tom Brady, QB
Tom Brady is one of the best examples that you can find talent anywhere in the draft, he was taken in the 6th round back in 2000 and wasn't expected to start but he got his chance in 2001 due to injuries and managed to lead the Patriots to a Super Bowl win and was named Super Bowl MVP in his 1st year as starter. Ever since he has lead the Patriots and made them one of the NFLs most consistent teams, taking them to the post season every season apart from 2002 (and 2008 but he was injured), reaching 5 Super Bowls and winning 3. Brady won’t just go down in history as one of the best in his generation his name is already in the discussion for greatest of all time, and he’s destined to end up in the Hall Of Fame.
Spoiler:

New York Jets- Nick Mangold, C
Nick Mangold has been the starter since being drafted in 2006 and his play was rewarded with a big contract in 2010 which made him the highest paid Centre at the time in the NFL. Having given up just 11 sacks and 16 penalties Mangold is one of the best Centres currently active in the NFL and this is shown in having made 4 straight Pro Bowls from 2008 to 2011 and being named All-Pro from 2009 to 2011. He will be key as the Jets attempt to establish their running game to try to take pressure off of their Quarterback.
Spoiler:

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Best Offensive Players In The NFL- AFC North and AFC East Empty Re: Best Offensive Players In The NFL- AFC North and AFC East

Post by GSC Tue May 29, 2012 10:41 pm

Whitworth for the Bengals
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Best Offensive Players In The NFL- AFC North and AFC East Empty Re: Best Offensive Players In The NFL- AFC North and AFC East

Post by Colan (niner) Tue May 29, 2012 11:47 pm

Stevie Johnson, legend

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed May 30, 2012 12:19 am

TOM BRADY notworthy

(In 10 years Ryan Mallett Very Happy )
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Wed May 30, 2012 2:09 am

niner wrote:Stevie Johnson, legend
He probably isn't helped by having Fitzpatrick throw to him and his last two seasons have been better than I realised but still think Jackson is more important to the Bills offense than Johnson, also if he cut out some of the stupid things he does I would have a better opinion of him.

Graeme Swann's Cat wrote:Whitworth for the Bengals
Probably an oversight on my side, just focused on AJ Green and moved on to other teams.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed May 30, 2012 4:27 am

Jackson is very important to the Bills. His injury and some other key ones was part of their downfall. Spiller did an okay job and they could be an exciting duo. Agree with most of the others.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Wed May 30, 2012 5:11 am

actually agree with jackson but just ike johnson for his entertaining persona and number 13

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Wed May 30, 2012 6:03 am

I wouldn't have too many complains with those guys...
I'm not sure who I would go with for the Bills, but at the same time I don't seem sold on Fred Jackson given his age amongst other things

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Wed May 30, 2012 6:32 am

maybe Levitre as well

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by thunder and lightning Wed May 30, 2012 6:39 am

Its a sad sad state of affairs for the Jets that you have Mangold at their best offensive player. I don't think he is the best, but an argument can be made for him so its not a wild pick.

I think Holmes would go down as their best offensive player. Sure last season was horrible, but the season before he was massively clutch for them and has a solid career behind him. Its a shame he has the Sanchise throwing to him as he's one of the most polished receivers in the league imo.

thunder and lightning

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Thu May 31, 2012 2:42 am

thunder and lightning wrote:Its a sad sad state of affairs for the Jets that you have Mangold at their best offensive player. I don't think he is the best, but an argument can be made for him so its not a wild pick.

I think Holmes would go down as their best offensive player. Sure last season was horrible, but the season before he was massively clutch for them and has a solid career behind him. Its a shame he has the Sanchise throwing to him as he's one of the most polished receivers in the league imo.
Holmes was my other option for their best offensive player, but couldn't quite look past last season where he only just beat Burress in yards but had a worse average and equal touchdowns and the year before which wasn't an incredible year though that could have been down to his suspension in 2010. The other issue is he has either Sanchez or maybe Tebow throwing to him which doesn't exactly help his cause.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Thu May 31, 2012 6:24 am

Potential wise Santonio should be great, but for the Jets as it is, Mangold is the best offensive guy.

They were horrendous when he was out briefly last year on the line.

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Iain Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:46 am

They were horrendous when Mangold went down because the backup also went down, in preseason, and there wasn't a pro-level replacement on the roster. Mangold is by some distance the best player at his position in the NFL, so having him designated the best offensive player is reasonable and no reflection on the rest of the offensive group.

Holmes, Sanchez, Greene, Moore, Ferguson and Keller are the other 'plus' players on the offensive squad, with guys like Hill, Kerley, McKnight, Tebow (as a spot change up), Schillens and T.Ganaway hopefully ready to make an impression this year. Hill, Tebow and Kerley in particular should make some impact plays.

Iain

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:12 am

http://v2journal.com/best-offensive-players-in-the-nfl--afc-north-and-east.html

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down