The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can and will the Ospreys push on?

+7
Morgannwg
Notch
profitius
Intotouch
asoreleftshoulder
InjuredYetAgain
Gordy
11 posters

Go down

Can and will the Ospreys push on? Empty Can and will the Ospreys push on?

Post by Gordy Wed 30 May 2012, 5:06 pm

After seeing the Ospreys victory over Leinster on their own patch to become the most successful side in the Celtic League, have they have shrugged off their "Galactico" tag and play like a proper "team" Will they push on next year and really start to make an impression in the Heineken Cup at last?

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Can and will the Ospreys push on? Empty Re: Can and will the Ospreys push on?

Post by InjuredYetAgain Wed 30 May 2012, 8:49 pm

In a word "no". I don't think they have the strength in depth of Leinster and some of the big English sides. Good enough team but not a side that you would definitely not want in your HC group.
Out of interest, do you think SW's retirement will affect the O's? He did seem to be the "go to" guy.

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Wed 30 May 2012, 8:52 pm

Who can tell,they've had plenty of false dawns before so I find it hard to believe things will be any different.However there does seem to be a change in attitude throughout the entire organisation so I'd hope they will finally realise their potential.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Intotouch Wed 30 May 2012, 9:49 pm

I think so yes. I'll be amazed if they don't improve next year. Depth could be a problem, especially over a long season though.

Intotouch

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Wed 30 May 2012, 10:06 pm

Selling half their squad will hinder their chances of competing on both fronts next season. They have a good team but big squads are important.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 30 May 2012, 10:31 pm

Probably. Really, really want to avoid them in Europe. They are the official third seeds of this years group of death, wait and see.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 30 May 2012, 10:55 pm

I already asked this.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Wed 30 May 2012, 10:56 pm

Proof will be in their Heineken Cup performances next season, no matter how hard their group is, if they don't get out of it I'm afraid its the same old story of winning the league but not being able to cut it in Europe's premier competition. They may have won more Leagues than anyone else, but until the pick up a HC they wont be seen in the same light as the Rabo's HC winners.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 30 May 2012, 11:39 pm

Artful_Dodger wrote:Proof will be in their Heineken Cup performances next season, no matter how hard their group is, if they don't get out of it I'm afraid its the same old story of winning the league but not being able to cut it in Europe's premier competition. They may have won more Leagues than anyone else, but until the pick up a HC they wont be seen in the same light as the Rabo's HC winners.

To be fair its better than Tigers who cant even win their own league anymore.
LV= 2012 Glory doest really cut it.

Have to hand it to the Spreys , they always seem to do better when theyve been written off. This wasnt expected to be a glorious season for them with players departing, belt tightening, and the impact of the world cup . I guess that probably means theyll nose dive again next year now people think they are good.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 31 May 2012, 12:09 am

They will push on,they just need to keep that strong defense and who gives a F who we are playing we want to win.

A lot being made of them not being a strong enough squad etc.. But I would say a full strength ospreys team has just as many world class players as leinster,
You can hardly call Fergus McFadden a class player he is a solid cog in a strong machine know as leinster

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 31 May 2012, 12:29 am

You have to remember at the start of the season (when they had almost an entire team away on Wales duty) that they were on top in the League. They had some experienced players and mixed it up well with the youth. THey'll be hit harder by Wales call-ups from now on with possibilty of Webb, Biggar and Beck all likely to be Wales regulars. But overall the squad is strong.

I've watched them since their ineption and this is probably the first time I have been impressed by them. Not down to what they produce on the field but in the manner they do it. It's guys playing for their REGION, for the team and with their hearts on their sleeve. Respect to guys like Alun-Wyn, Adam and Ryan for staying put. They're the life and sole of the team and can teach so much to the young guys around them.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 31 May 2012, 12:53 am

Morgannwg wrote:You have to remember at the start of the season (when they had almost an entire team away on Wales duty) that they were on top in the League. They had some experienced players and mixed it up well with the youth. THey'll be hit harder by Wales call-ups from now on with possibilty of Webb, Biggar and Beck all likely to be Wales regulars. But overall the squad is strong.

I've watched them since their ineption and this is probably the first time I have been impressed by them. Not down to what they produce on the field but in the manner they do it. It's guys playing for their REGION, for the team and with their hearts on their sleeve. Respect to guys like Alun-Wyn, Adam and Ryan for staying put. They're the life and sole of the team and can teach so much to the young guys around them.

They are going to struggle if Beck and Biggar are both in the Wales squad. Have that 10/12/13 axis all year was crucial to them. I don't even know who their replacement 12 would be at the moment. No Sonny Parker or Tommy Bowe to cover in the centres and very little left on the wings.

They still have the pack to compete, but it won't be the strongest without its internationals.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 31 May 2012, 1:00 am

Habberfield, Morgan and Watermeyer I would guess. That midfield axis was average/solid enough up until Tandy took over. I am also guessing Bishop won't be a regular with Wales unless we down to the bare bones. The pack will still be good I reckon, should have the likes of Duncan Jones, Ian Gough along with guys like Dacey, King, etc would have had a lot of game time by then.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 31 May 2012, 1:07 am

Morgannwg wrote:Habberfield, Morgan and Watermeyer I would guess. That midfield axis was average/solid enough up until Tandy took over. I am also guessing Bishop won't be a regular with Wales unless we down to the bare bones. The pack will still be good I reckon, should have the likes of Duncan Jones, Ian Gough along with guys like Dacey, King, etc would have had a lot of game time by then.

Dacey?

Have Habberfield or Watermeyer player for the O's yet?
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 31 May 2012, 1:11 am

Yes, but only LV cup games. Not sure which club either play for. Habberfield has had a great experience excelling on the IRB Sevens circuit with Wales. Kristian Dacey is the hooker for Blues, I just realised. Maybe I meant Scott Baldwin or AN other?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 31 May 2012, 1:13 am

Morgannwg wrote:Yes, but only LV cup games. Not sure which club either play for. Habberfield has had a great experience excelling on the IRB Sevens circuit with Wales. Kristian Dacey is the hooker for Blues, I just realised. Maybe I meant Scott Baldwin or AN other?

Baldwin is a good prospect - He did very well in 2 high pressure lineouts last weekend when he came on.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyOsp Thu 31 May 2012, 11:27 am

Really not worried about the strength in depth of our backline next season, even with all of our home internationals gone we'd still have:

9. T.Habberfield/K.Fotuali'i/Isaacs
10. M.Morgan/S.Davies
11. R.Fussell/E.Walker
12. S.Watermeyer
13. G.Owen
14. H.Dirksen/L.Morgan
15. B.Davies/R.Jones

Bearing in mind that Isaacs covers 13 and wing and Owen covers 10 and fullback, it's not looking too bad!

CurlyOsp

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 31 May 2012, 12:27 pm

CurlyOsp wrote:Really not worried about the strength in depth of our backline next season, even with all of our home internationals gone we'd still have:

9. T.Habberfield/K.Fotuali'i/Isaacs
10. M.Morgan/S.Davies
11. R.Fussell/E.Walker
12. S.Watermeyer
13. G.Owen
14. H.Dirksen/L.Morgan
15. B.Davies/R.Jones

Bearing in mind that Isaacs covers 13 and wing and Owen covers 10 and fullback, it's not looking too bad!

:/

G.Owen and Watermeyer haven't played this season in the pro12 - if they are going to be first choice centres when Beck is away (I imagine Bishop will still be around) then the O's backs will be in trouble.

L.Morgon, Habberfield, S.Davies and R.Jones are all very inexperienced

Walker does not inspire confidence, you might get away with it in the pro12, but at the HC he will be badly exposed, Fussell too is a fairly average player (although in good form at the moment)

Its a similar situation at the Scarlets and Blues, with lots of backs leaving, there is a lot less depth when internationals come around. The Ospreys didn't suffer as badly this year as Beck, Webb and Biggar weren't at the WC - they with lose that 9-10-12 combination for a lot of next season.

wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyOsp Thu 31 May 2012, 1:08 pm

Well.. the halfbacks have plenty of experience, should just be a case of Habberfield covering, though from what i've seen in the LV=, he's a very capable player.

Like you said, Bishop is unlikely to be called up, so he'll be the "old head" in the back line. G.Owen will be rusty from injury but again has plenty of experience. Isaacs and Watermeyer to be used as cover.

Dirksen, Davies and Fussel are a Pro12 standard back 3, solid enough to compete, with plenty of young cover available.

It's probably too early to expect great things in the Heineken Cup, but the Ospreys should be looking to target the Pro12 again, giving some of the younger boys game time in the LV cup.

People forget how young the squad is because of this years success, but that was only the first year of the rebuild, these things take time to reach their full potential.

CurlyOsp

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down