The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

would mandatory purse splits improve boxing in general?

3 posters

Go down

would mandatory purse splits improve boxing in general? Empty would mandatory purse splits improve boxing in general?

Post by eddyfightfan Sat 02 Jun 2012, 3:09 pm

imagine if all fights from debuts to mega fights were forced into splitting the purse evenly. i think the magic number would be 40% 40% with the winner taking the remaining 20%.

this would be a great plus for boxing, lets be honest, not been able to agree on a split is a major cause of fights not happening. it would take all the egos from the negotiation tables (fighters claiming their worth a higher percentage than opponents). and it would aid huge mega fights (manny/floyd, bradley/khan to a degree).

it would also have a few other benefits, firstly there are certain boxers through the ages who have just turned up for a payday (not a huge problem i admit, but definitely still happens to this day) be it at the end of there careers or against opponents there not expected to win. the added cash incentive would help prevent this.

secondly i feel the level of competition would improve. i know it could be argued that why would some one take a tough challenge when they can fight x for the same split. but i think it would have the opposite effect, i think boxers would be less willing to fight somebody they think is way below there level if they know there still giving up a huge chunk of the purse.

and lastly, and i think most importantly the wealth in boxing would be more evenly distributed instead of a very top few earning 95% of the money. there would be much less boxers retiring with almost nothing and no way to support themselves/their family after they've hung up the gloves.

do you agree or would make things worse and make fighters become even more protected?

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

would mandatory purse splits improve boxing in general? Empty Re: would mandatory purse splits improve boxing in general?

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat 02 Jun 2012, 4:29 pm

First off you couldn't split it 40/40 with the remaining 20% going to the winner because you have bills to pay first. A venue doesn't come for free, neither do promoters who put on most of the shows and pay fighters a percentage of their take. The bigger the star and in cases like last night at York Hall the more tickets you sell the more money you get.

My other problem with this is why should someone like Floyd Mayweather or Koki Kameda who makes a lot of cash in Japan have a 40/40 split with anyone?

Another major problem is the sport is corrupt and this would only lead to even more problems.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

would mandatory purse splits improve boxing in general? Empty Re: would mandatory purse splits improve boxing in general?

Post by Seanusarrilius Sat 02 Jun 2012, 4:50 pm

Sadly this wont work. Splits like that only work in fights where the fighters areeuqally as populare like Floyd and Pac or it's a mandatory title shot or something where the champ gets a certain amount.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat 02 Jun 2012, 5:01 pm

Mayweather and Pacquiao aren't equal Mayweather does better figures than Pacquiao.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sat 02 Jun 2012, 6:23 pm

okay but you split whatever percentage is going to the fighters in that way and its the same thing.

why should someone how demands millions per fight, fight somebody who is unworthy of a equal chance of the shares. if they dont think the opponents derserve that much then fight better opponents.

i know it would never happen, but i do feel it would be a good thing if it ever did.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat 02 Jun 2012, 6:47 pm

Some opponents of lesser name get more money than better opponents. Cotto got a lot more money than Sergio Martinez would have got for fighting either Mayweather or Pacquiao but he is no doubt a much tougher test.

It's a business why should a guy who brings little cash to the table get the same as someone who brings most of the cash to the table?
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sat 02 Jun 2012, 6:53 pm

in other sports you get a much better chance of earning money on talent alone. you need to have a big mouth to earn the most, that isnt the way to attract top quality sports men

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat 02 Jun 2012, 6:58 pm

In other sports you have a boss and get wages.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down