The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Would A Semi Win Harm Djokovic Or Federer The Most?

+8
socal1976
luciusmann
lydian
bogbrush
Demon Racer
laverfan
Liam
hawkeye
12 posters

Go down

Would A Semi Win Harm Djokovic Or Federer The Most? Empty Would A Semi Win Harm Djokovic Or Federer The Most?

Post by hawkeye Mon 04 Jun 2012, 10:02 pm

After Nadal destroyed the number 13 seed Monaco 6-2 6-0 6-0 he had this to say about his opponant

Well, I think that now he’s in the locker rooms. I’m very sorry for him. What can I say? Well, I would tell him, Don’t you worry. It’s
going to be better afterwards. You’ll feel better afterwards.

http://freedomtennis.wordpress.com/2012/06/04/rafael-nadal-june-04-2012/

Of course there are still matches to be played but the scene that most tennis fans are already talking about is a potential Nadal v Djokovic or Nadal v Federer final. After Nadals match today and his breathtaking form throughout the tournament I'm beginning to feel a little worried for Djokovic or Federer if one of these much anticipated finals takes place.

Who out of the two would be able to recover from what could be a beat down the fastest. Who would as Nadal said about Monaco be able to take sympathy, not worry and (somehow) feel better afterwoods? Remember "afterwoods" includes Wimbledon in just a couple of weeks.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Would A Semi Win Harm Djokovic Or Federer The Most? Empty Re: Would A Semi Win Harm Djokovic Or Federer The Most?

Post by Liam Mon 04 Jun 2012, 10:06 pm

I don't it hit Fed that hard. The one a few years back was a massacre. Very tough to watch. I think Novak is more than capable of bouncing back but when Nadal is playing as well as he is he is almost unstoppable.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Would A Semi Win Harm Djokovic Or Federer The Most? Empty Re: Would A Semi Win Harm Djokovic Or Federer The Most?

Post by laverfan Mon 04 Jun 2012, 10:12 pm

HE... there are a couple of matches till the final. Let us see how those go. Almagro and Ferrer also have not lost a set yet. Ferrer also has two bagel sets to his credit.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Demon Racer Mon 04 Jun 2012, 10:16 pm

laverfan wrote:HE... there are a couple of matches till the final. Let us see how those go. Almagro and Ferrer also have not lost a set yet. Ferrer also has two bagel sets to his credit.

Sorry but it would be a miracle if either Almagro or Ferrer got more than say 10 games against Nadal.

I still remember the match from 2008, Nadal beat Almagro 6-1 6-1 6-1, and Almagro played to a high level.

On a side note, saw a stat saying that Nadal has lost fewer games in the first 4 matches in 2012, then at the same stage in 2008. Not too shabby!

Last edited by Demon Racer on Mon 04 Jun 2012, 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)

Demon Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon 04 Jun 2012, 10:18 pm

laverfan

Of course I am aware of that. I mentioned it in my question. But these are the anticipated finals that have been talked about since the draw came out. In fact all the talk about the draws prior to the tournament was really in anticipation of potential finals between these players. I thought this was another angle to this topic.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon 04 Jun 2012, 11:04 pm

Federer would welcome the opportunity and challenge. He has nothing to lose; he's almost 31, his legacy is secure and he has a rubbish h2h on clay with Nadal anyway. If its anything like close he comes of it out looking better than when he went in.

Djokovic is at his peak, if he got beat it would put a stop to some of the extravagant things said about him. He's got a lot to lose, but he'd lose that all anyway if he lost before the final, especially to Federer.

Last edited by bogbrush on Mon 04 Jun 2012, 11:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Mon 04 Jun 2012, 11:11 pm

Yeah Djokovic has more to lose right now, people expect Fed to lose vs Nadal anyway. But I'm counting no chickens for any results!
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Mon 04 Jun 2012, 11:43 pm

I agree, Djokovic probably has more to lose although getting to the final is progress for him. Also, the fact he's coming onto clay, Nadal's pre-eminent surface @ his most successful slam to challenge him is something too.

I'm not sure it harms Djokovic though -when it comes to faster surfaces, Djokovic has dismissed Nadal in 4 sets at most in the slams and where the surface is slower, Nadal has pushed Djokovic. Fed was able to carry on beating Rafa at Wimbledon despite losing to Rafa on clay for a few years, so there's no reason to suppose it will harm Djokovic. However, it depends on how bad the loss is because a really bad loss might affect a player mentally, especially when their matches are tight. This appears to be partially what happened to Fed after Wimbledon '08 (somewhat confirmed by what Fed said afterwards).

So far, there's not been many surprises, the top 5 seeds are into the last 8. Nadal has looked especially ruthless (as he often does on clay), it makes you wonder how Fed even managed to take a set off Nadal last year and pushed Nadal to a tie breaker in another!

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 05 Jun 2012, 12:08 am

Balls.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 05 Jun 2012, 12:39 am

This is certainly the biggest tournament of the year for Djokovic and a loss in this tournament would break up the chances he has right now to do truely historic things like winning 4 slams in a row. However, if he does get to the final and lose he actually solidifies his lead over Federer and does not lose any points in the standings to Nadal. It would be a giant fly in the ointment to fed's chances of getting number 1 and a final berth would go a long way to solidifying his hold on number 1. I think everyone is underestimating the maturity and mental fortitude of Djokovic. Making the finals and losing to an inform Nadal on clay is hardly the world ending result. And he is a balanced and smart enough guy to bounce back. I still think he has a good chance if he plays well a really good chance.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Tue 05 Jun 2012, 12:45 am

Lol...yes but despite RG rolling out hockey balls Nadal still won the event. The balls last year were erroneous, a bad batch...they have corrected this year and we're back to the normal playing conditions at RG. I repeat, I for one never want to see RG sped up because we lose more originality. The problem lies elsewhere.

I would also say last year it wasn't just balls, but more so thst Nadal's confidence was fragile and low. I think any average observer of the game could see that. However, he's a completely different player this year...and playing aggressively, as Monaco found out today. Let's put it this way, it's going to take something special to beat him in this form.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Tue 05 Jun 2012, 3:47 am

Demon Racer wrote:
laverfan wrote:HE... there are a couple of matches till the final. Let us see how those go. Almagro and Ferrer also have not lost a set yet. Ferrer also has two bagel sets to his credit.

Sorry but it would be a miracle if either Almagro or Ferrer got more than say 10 games against Nadal.

I still remember the match from 2008, Nadal beat Almagro 6-1 6-1 6-1, and Almagro played to a high level.

On a side note, saw a stat saying that Nadal has lost fewer games in the first 4 matches in 2012, then at the same stage in 2008. Not too shabby!

Without a doubt Nadal is exhibiting scary tennis in this tournament, but Ferrer is 2nd best in the tournament and in my view playing the form of the life, it wont be easy semi if he makes it what ever the history suggests. thumbsup

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 05 Jun 2012, 10:16 am

I agree with you ic.. Rafa has voiced many times in the past that Ferrer is a difficult oponent. Contrary to what many posters have believed in the past that his Spanish compatriots "roll over" for him it is quite the oposite as you witnessed in Madrid when Verdasco beat Rafa. To beat Rafa at the FO in the final would be what dreams are made of for little Daveed. I dont think it will happen but if it did I could not think of a more worthy winner and I would be delighted for him. But .. the crunch is I obviously want Rafa to win lucky 7

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Tue 05 Jun 2012, 1:14 pm

he cant beat him in the final though. they would meet in the semi's.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 05 Jun 2012, 1:25 pm

I've been saying last few days Ferrer has a big chance not because of my dislike for the búttpicker but his compatriot has a huge amount of patience and energy/speed which is the best formula for beating Nadal on clay, Ferrer has been improving since beating Nole at the WTF and his belief is much higher than other years.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down