The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will Wales seniors follow the youngsters example in November?

+2
Morgannwg
welliamwibb
6 posters

Go down

Will Wales seniors follow the youngsters example in November? Empty Will Wales seniors follow the youngsters example in November?

Post by welliamwibb Fri 08 Jun 2012, 10:36 pm

I would have to say that Wales are finally going places in respect to true rugby development. 3 Six Nations tournaments in 8 seasons does seem good, but Wales followed up 2005 and 2008 with a poor autumn series and an even worse Six Nations each time. The only positive was beating Oz in 2005 and 2008, but losing to all the other biggies and also haven even worse autumns in 2006, 2009 and 2010.

I know conditions were poor, but what the under 20's did today was unbelievable. The first team to win against NZ in the under 20's format. This will do wonders for confidence for that team and other age grades of Welsh rugby, but it also shows us that the production line of young "winning" talent is only just getting started.

We have debated for several seasons now the possible return of Wales A. I would like to see something to compete with the likes of the Saxons and Wolfhounds, even if it's only on a part time basis. There is a lot of talent coming through now and it is also being brought to light quicker with so many other youngsters playing regular regional rugby due to many national stars playing abroad. It would be nice to have another platform to test some of the fringe senior players.

The under 20 model has been a revelation. We have seen a lot of players in the last 4 or 5 years come straight from the under 20's to the senior side and make an almost instant impact. Most of these player have stayed in or around the Wales squad to this day.

Normally it takes a few seasons and some vital experience for the youngsters to come good, but the majority of Wales' current "star" players are actually the youngest. North and Faletau being the biggest example of this, with the likes of Halfpenny and Warburton just a little bit older again. The enthusiasm with youth is something that you cannot always maintain with the older players, but they are also better conditioned, fitter, faster and have more time to gel as a unit. This current crop could be together for 10 years or so and it will be very difficult for many others to break into the side. Those that do break in will have to be absolute quality as the competition for places is getting harder every season.

I have never seen so many options and by that I mean decent options. We in Wales have always said "oh we have lots of centres" etc etc, but have we actually had lots of GOOD centres? Even with injuries to some of our bet players we seem to be in a position now to replace them with 1, 2 or even 3 up and coming form youngsters and we aren't seeing any grumbles from fans that the void cannot be filled. Take Roberts for example. Most people would be very happy with Beck, Williams or even Hook playing at 12 for Wales. Hook is a proven attacking genius, Beck is on fire for the Ospreys and Scott Williams had a great WC and 6N (When he played). We are also starting to see more good players emerging and competing in key positions such as 7 and 8 where traditionally we have had 1 good player in that position and not an awful lot to back it up.

I know there is a summer tour to get out of the way first, but I really hope that the example set today by the under 20's will somehow shake off the psychological issue Wales have when they play against New Zealand.

Last time Wales played them in 2010 I was there. Some people said Wales did well, but all I saw was a late Lee Byrne try make the score look ever so SLIGHTLY more respectable. Wales were diabolical and had a floodgate defence. It was shambolic.

As good as New Zealand are I still believe teams like Wales perform worse than they actually are because they have a complex about playing them. It is the exact same complex that made Wales struggle so badly against England for 20 years. Quite a few victories since 2005 and 2 away wins in 3 matches at Twickenham would say to me that Wales have finally put to bed the England psychological issue. I just hope they can make progress against New Zealand.

welliamwibb

http://www.rfu.com

Back to top Go down

Will Wales seniors follow the youngsters example in November? Empty Re: Will Wales seniors follow the youngsters example in November?

Post by Morgannwg Fri 08 Jun 2012, 11:21 pm

Yes, we will beat NZ in the autumn because we say the same thing every year Smile.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Will Wales seniors follow the youngsters example in November? Empty Re: Will Wales seniors follow the youngsters example in November?

Post by Morgannwg Fri 08 Jun 2012, 11:27 pm

Nicely written btw. Twas a good read. The U20s crop of 07/08 were the best (containing Warbs, J. Davies, Biggar, Halfpenny, etc..) but the current crop could be better. I thought they looked very good last year but were poor against Ireland and then even worse against NZ.

We usually have good backs but these forwards from 1-8 are the real deal! So are their replacements. Our front crisis if there was one is now sorted Smile.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 08 Jun 2012, 11:43 pm

One rain drop doesn't make a down pour, but we are starting to see plenty reward for all the hundreds of unpaid people encouraging our young talent at school college and clubs throughout Wales, from the hard work of the regional academies and of the regions, the WRU and their coaches.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by welliamwibb Fri 08 Jun 2012, 11:47 pm

Hopefully this extra WRU funding will see even more improvements and hopefully it will be the start of lots of funding for grassroots and schools.

SCHOOLS IS WHERE IT IS BOYO

welliamwibb

http://www.rfu.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Fri 08 Jun 2012, 11:56 pm

welliamwibb wrote:Hopefully this extra WRU funding will see even more improvements and hopefully it will be the start of lots of funding for grassroots and schools.

SCHOOLS IS WHERE IT IS BOYO

Honestly its more the collgiate competition now thats building the development rather than the schools. So many schools have jettisoned the 6th form and no longer have first XV. schools like Gwendraeth, Gowerton, Dwr Y Felin, Brynteg all with great histories of players now see them toddle off to college when once they would have been in the Schools side.

The regions are doing a lot of work mentoring and supporting the colleges as well as the talent is concentrated in one place rather than being spread out over 20 or so schools in a region.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sat 09 Jun 2012, 12:08 am

You are right Tycroes. Brynteg and Bridgend College are both in Bridgend! Perhaps some areas should cut 6th form.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Sat 09 Jun 2012, 12:22 am

Morgannwg wrote:You are right Tycroes. Brynteg and Bridgend College are both in Bridgend! Perhaps some areas should cut 6th form.

I think Brynteg have already got rid of their sixth form or are planning on it. the Assembly want as much post 16 Education in colleges as possible, Only one school in swansea now has a sixth form dont think there are any in Neath Port Talbot, Only Amman Valley retain the 6th form in the west wales valley sides but they must be running out of people to play. I have a feeling even St Cyres has got rid of the sixth as well and they were a mean little side to play against.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sat 09 Jun 2012, 12:50 am

A lot of schools in Newport have 6th forms but not many rugby players. Caerleon and Bassaleg 6th form rugby teams have gone downhill in the last few years, 2000-06 they had very good sides.

Neath had a good college team, Brynteg, St Davids and Whitchurch all had very good 6th form teams. Crosskeys College has recently been developed and are always pushing for a good team, they've enjoyed successful tours to Fiji, South Africa and France. As far as know the other colleges under Coleg Gwent don't have a rugby team.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sat 09 Jun 2012, 1:44 am

Hopefully the U20's win will help dissolve any invincible aura the senior side might have felt hanging around the AB's. But realising they're human is only half the task at hand. They're not world champs and number one team most years just by chance, Wales will have to be at nothing short of their best as always to be in with a hope. I wonder what're the odds NZ will request the MS roof closed after today's conditions chin

Magnificent win today, it still hasn't quite sunk in for me RedWine

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 09 Jun 2012, 4:44 am

Yes. Was a good win i agree. Something for our boys to take in. They cant always have it their way.
Wales took it to nz all match. Scots did it to oz as well. NH teams these days seem to have more than the odd one offs to celebrate. Tonight starts perhaps a few more...all the best!

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 09 Jun 2012, 7:03 am

Taylorman there is a lot of hard work going into welsh youth rugby. This result alone will be a huge way of repaying the debt to so many parents, Coaches school teachers and the like...!

But also the confidence this result will transpire throughout the squad may see the lads to a result maybe better than the 2008 semi.

Obviously this game had little to do with November, let's see how the Senior side progress or relapse in Australia.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down