The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ENG VS WINDIES series ratings

+7
Mad for Chelsea
Dorothy_Mantooth
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
ShankyCricket
Shelsey93
Liam
Mike Selig
11 posters

Go down

ENG VS WINDIES series ratings Empty ENG VS WINDIES series ratings

Post by Guest Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:18 am

Here are my ratings for Series

ENGLAND

Andrew Strauss-8
Alistair Cook-6
Jonathon Trott-4
Kevin Piertsen-8
Ian Bell-8
Jonny Bairstow-3
Matt Prior-5
Tim Bresnan-7
Graeme Swann-7
Stuart Broad-8
Jimmy Anderson-6
Steven Finn-7
Graeme Onions-7

WINDIES

Adrian Barath-6
Kieron Powell-4
Kirk Edwards-4
Darren Bravo-6
Shiv Chanderpaul-6
Marlon Samuels-9
Denesh Ramdin-6
Darren Sammy-7
Fidel Edwards-7
Kemar Roach-8
Shannon Gabriel-6
Shane Shillingford-5
Tino Best-8
Sunil Narine-4
Asad Fudadin-4
Narsingh Deonarine-3
Ravi Rampaul-6

apolgies if i missed anyone out.

Last edited by CF on Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

ENG VS WINDIES series ratings Empty Re: ENG VS WINDIES series ratings

Post by Mike Selig Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:32 am

Think you're a bit generous on Finn and Onions, particularly compared to Anderson, who I thought for most of the series was England's best bowler (although he didn't get the wickets to show for that).

You're very generous to all the West Indian batsmen bar Chanderpaul who deserves more, and Samuels who deserves his 9.

You've left out Rampaul. Edwards 7 is generous, and Shillingford 5 also.

Otherwise pretty much agree.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:30 pm

I agree with most apart from a few. Like Mike, Anderson deserves an 8 for me, he was excellent. Finn and Onions only had one innings and although boths bowled well, I would give 6 each for them. I don't know how Edwards scores more than Bairstow, Edwards would be lucky to get a 1 in my book i'm afraid.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:08 pm

CF wrote:Here are my ratings for Series

ENGLAND

Andrew Strauss-8
Alistair Cook-6
Jonathon Trott-4
Kevin Piertsen-8
Ian Bell-8
Jonny Bairstow-3
Matt Prior-5
Tim Bresnan-7
Graeme Swann-7
Stuart Broad-8
Jimmy Anderson-6
Steven Finn-7
Graeme Onions-7

WINDIES

Adrian Barath-6
Kieron Powell-4
Kirk Edwards-4
Darren Bravo-6
Shiv Chanderpaul-6
Marlon Samuels-9
Denesh Ramdin-6
Darren Sammy-7
Fidel Edwards-7
Kemar Roach-8
Shannon Gabriel-6
Shane Shillingford-5
Tino Best-8
Sunil Narine-4
Asad Fudadin-4
Narsingh Deonarine-3
Ravi Rampaul-6

apolgies if i missed anyone out.

For me: Strauss 9, Trott 6, Prior 6, Swann 6, Anderson an 8, Finn 5. The rest for England the same as you.

Barath 5, Powell 3, K Edwards 2, Bravo 5, Chanderpaul 8, Sammy 8, F Edwards 5, Gabriel 7, Shillingford 4, Rampaul 7. The rest as per yours.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:04 pm

Barath the same points as Shiv?

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:05 pm

Seriously if Samuels wasnt a 10 what would be?
96.5 with the bat.... 30 with the ball ... (Donald Brandman was 99 with the bat and 36 with the ball)

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:24 am

CF,

Can't see how Narine can get the same mark as Trott? Until Finn and Bell started playing for stumps he was going at 6 an over and ended wicket-less for the series. Trott may have been a 4/10, but by that standard Narine must have been a 1 or 2!

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:25 am

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Seriously if Samuels wasnt a 10 what would be?
96.5 with the bat.... 30 with the ball ... (Donald Brandman was 99 with the bat and 36 with the ball)

If he ends his career with similar figures to Bradman, then I am sure a few 10/10s are coming his way. Whistle

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:49 am

England:

Strauss - 9: two welcome centuries, and captained the side well throughout.
Cook - 5: bit of a lean series for Cook, mixture of good balls and careless shots. Played a nice innings in the first test chase though.
Trott - 4: had a poor series by his standards.
Pietersen - 8: two lovely fifties, the form is still there, though would have wanted a century or two.
Bell - 8:back in form after a poor winter, not so good at third slip though.
Bairstow - 3: struggled against the short ball in second test, but that can happen. More worrying to me is him playing all around two straight ones. Good fielder.
Prior - 5: didn't really get going with the bat, but kept well.
Bresnan - 7: didn't bowl well at Lords but bounced back with MOM at Trent Bridge. An excellent cricketer.
Broad - 8: superb at Lords, got important wickets at TB. Now firmly one of the top bowlers in the world.
Swann - 6: had little to do on unresponsive pitches but kept it tidy and chipped in with useful wickets.
Anderson - 8: didn't get the wickets he deserved, as he bowled quite superbly at times. England missed his fielding in the third test too.
Finn - 7: bowled some great spells without much luck, looks very much a test quality bowler.
Onions - 7: offers something different with his wicket-to-wicket style. England are lucky to have such quality back-up.

West Indies:

Barath - 3: made a couple of starts which he then threw away, and generally struggled.
Powell - 2: looks a decent player at times, but out of his depth in this series.
Edwards - 1: because I dislike giving 0s.
Fuddadin - 5: promising first test innings, got a good short ball.
Bravo - 3: came in with a reputation as a special talent, but failed to live up to the hype.
Chanderpaul - 5: great resistance in the first test, despite questionable tactics with the tail. Poor shot in the middle of WI's demise in the second though.
Samuels - 9: superb series. Batted well throughout after a poor shot in the first innnings, and chipped in with some useful wickets.
Ramdin - 4: redeemed himself slightly with a century in the dead rubber, but his keeping was poor and his batting distinctly average. Rather childish reaction to reaching his century too.
Sammy - 7: did what he does well, and managed an excellent century. Still get the feeling the WI attack is a little unbalanced with him in it, and un-inspired captaincy mostly.
Roach - 8: WI's best bowler.
Rampaum - 6: bowled some good spells, and some less good ones.
Best - 8: had a magnificent test. I still can't quite decide whether his antics are engaging or annoying.
Edwards - 2: had a poor test where he looked short of fitness.
Shillingford - 2: unthreatening.
Narine - 2: England played him surprisingly easily.

Last edited by Mad for Chelsea on Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:05 am; edited 1 time in total

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:57 am

Bit harsh on Chanderpaul, he certainly had a better series than Cook...

I liked Ramdin's reaction - similar to Hussain's 3 fingers; the kind of fire you want to see.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:22 am

Ramdin acted like an idiot. It's one thing showing emotion in the heat of the moment but entirely different when it's pre-meditated.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:41 am

Stella wrote:Ramdin acted like an idiot.

Agreed. I still liked it though.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:46 am

still shouldnt take away from his marks if thats why you scored him so low..

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:56 am

Despite a few creditable individual performances from some of the West Indies team during this series, I still believe only one of them would merit a place in the current England team.

Prior to this series, I thought it would be Chanderpaul.

Based on this series, Samuels would seem to be a better shout.

The only Englishman I could consider making way would be the unfortunate Bairstow.

With a current joint England / Windies side being weighted 10 / 1, it would seem the Windies still have a long way to go before getting back on equal pegging. That said, the Windies do look a better team than a year or so ago. Assuming their progress continues, the pace of it will clearly be significant if they hope to soon seriously challenge once more as a leading Test nation. I wish them well but don't see the reputations of those 1980s greats being challenged for a while yet. Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:59 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Despite a few creditable individual performances from some of the West Indies team during this series, I still believe only one of them would merit a place in the current England team.

Prior to this series, I thought it would be Chanderpaul.

Based on this series, Samuels would seem to be a better shout.

The only Englishman I could consider making way would be the unfortunate Bairstow.

With a current joint England / Windies side being weighted 10 / 1, it would seem the Windies still have a long way to go before getting back on equal pegging. That said, the Windies do look a better team than a year or so ago. Assuming their progress continues, the pace of it will clearly be significant if they hope to soon seriously challenge once more as a leading Test nation. I wish them well but don't see the reputations of those 1980s greats being challenged for a while yet. Wink

I think it is fair to say, though, that the generation of the 1970s and 80s was the exception rather than the rule. Before and since they have produced plenty of talented players, but not all at the same time.

Of course, the system is probably part of that. The England Performance Programme (excellently highlighted in a Sky feature during the lunch breaks) ensures that cricketers are trained for the specific challenges of international cricket from the moment they are identified as future England players. Despite some progress, I still feel that West Indies (for largely financial reasons) lag behind in that area. Players such as Adrian Barath and Kieran Powell undoubtedly have talent, but that hasn't been fine-tuned in the way their English equivalents (the Bairtow, Taylor, Buttler, Stokes generation) have been. Therefore, I think you could argue that a Barath or Powell might be close to or in the English team had they come through the English system.

Not taking into account current form, I'd still say that Chanderpaul is the only West Indian to make my England side. Though I would be tempted to include Roach ahead of Bresnan. Samuels had a very good series but I want to know that this is more than a flash in the pan from a player that, up until his arrival on English tours, had had an overwhelmingly disappointing international career.

In the last two series WI have definitely justified the assertion that they are improving. Where previously they were often blown away, there have been pretty strong elements of resistance in all six Tests. In fact they have probably won almost as many sessions as their opponents in both series. However, they are still struggling to convert that into wins. Wins were never expected against Australia or England, but against New Zealand at home they will be. How they deal with the unusual position of being favourites against opponents who aren't Zimbabwe or Bangladesh will be interesting.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

ENG VS WINDIES series ratings Empty England vs West Indies 2nd ODI Live Match 2012

Post by sherlock123 Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:48 pm

Today is England vs West Indies 2nd ODI match at Southampton. England vs West Indies 2nd ODI Live Match.

<Stream link REMOVED>

Last edited by sherlock123 on Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:57 am; edited 2 times in total

sherlock123

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:42 am

England.
Andrew Strauss 8.
Alastair Cook 6.
Jonathan Trott 5.
Kevin Pietersen 7.
Ian Bell 7.
Jonni Bairstow 2.
Matt Prior 5.
Tim Bresnan 7.
Stuart Broad 8.
Graeme Swann 7.
James Anderson 8.
Graham Onions 7.
Steven Finn 6.
West Indies.
Adrian Barath 4.
Kieran Powell 3.
Kirk Edwards 1. (Just for turning up).
Darren Bravo 3.
Shivnarine Chanderpaul 6.
Marlon Samuels 9.
Denesh Ramdin 5, (Apart from that NOTE unworthy innings, he was ordinary with the bat, and average with the gloves. Would have been a 3 but for that innings).
Darren Sammy 6.
Sunil Narine 2.
Tino Best 8.
Ravi Rampaul 7.
Kemar Roach 8.
Shannon Gabriel 5.
Shane Shillingford 3.
Asad Fudadin 5.
Narsingh Deonarine 3.
Fidel Edwards 3.

msp83

Back to top Go down