The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can Haskell step up to the plate?

+12
rhonddasmackhead
sirtidychris
jeffwinger
yappysnap
Poorfour
RubyGuby
HQ matt
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
formerly known as Sam
Rory_Gallagher
sugarNspikes
HERSH
16 posters

Go down

Can Haskell step up to the plate? Empty Can Haskell step up to the plate?

Post by HERSH Wed 13 Jun 2012, 3:21 pm

I'm not going to beat around the bush, I don't like Haskell.

Its more to do with his personality that his skills as a rugby player but has he turned the corner and finally started to grow up?

A bit of travelling and exposure to other cultures always does people good IMO.

Does anyone think he can win his place back in the England team and push on for a Lions call up next year? Or will he revert to type and become a big headed know it all once back at Wasps?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/18420792
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Can Haskell step up to the plate? Empty Re: Can Haskell step up to the plate?

Post by sugarNspikes Wed 13 Jun 2012, 3:27 pm

HERSH wrote:
A bit of travelling and exposure to other cultures always does people good IMO.
I think that's the important point. Having the cojones to test himself in the SH is a big plus. Yes, he's got a rep for being a bighead and a self-publicist, but at least he's getting out of the comfort zone. Not many NH players have done that.

I actually think he's got a fairly decent sense of humour and willing to make fun of himself.

He was one of the few players who did well in the World Cup for England.

Jury's still out though.

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 13 Jun 2012, 3:29 pm

I like Haskell. He seems like a bit of an idiot, but he is a quality player IMO.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 13 Jun 2012, 3:32 pm

Not the brightest player available to England but you could never accuse him of being petulent or not giving 100%. The guy learned his stuff from Dallaligio and it shows, in that he likes to hear himself talk. At length. There's no doubt he's a good player though and his time in France was a big turning point for him in terms of raising his game whilst this trip to NZ seems to be refining those French breakdown abilities further and he is becomming a real work horse in the loose.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 13 Jun 2012, 3:57 pm

Some good work today, some not so good, and a YC to boot - perhaps not the impact he was hoping to make

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 13 Jun 2012, 4:06 pm

Hasn't he been playing non stop rugby at this point though?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by HQ matt Wed 13 Jun 2012, 4:13 pm

i think haskell is a player that could come into the 22 no prblem, he wont though, Lancaster will stick with dowson. Haskell was not great today but he was unlucky with the yellow card, Kaplin is not my favourite referee and I dont think hs performance today was very balanced.

HQ matt

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 13 Jun 2012, 4:18 pm

Haskell lacks consistency and he would be a risk, he either shines or goes missing - it's a risk thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Wed 13 Jun 2012, 4:50 pm

My problem with Haskell is that for all his skills and physical attributes he is too often in the wrong position. I got very tired in the Johnson era of seeing him (and Croft) hanging about in midfield when they should have been contesting a ruck. It was probably a tactic, but a good player would have recognised the situation and got stuck in early.

All of which said, I think he was good playing at 7 before he left on his Grand Tour and could go very well when partnered with someone who covers the basics and does the hard work like Robshaw.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 13 Jun 2012, 5:26 pm

I think we do need to see him in one of the Tests. If you think that he's often been partnered with a broken Moody and an off the boil Easter and he's still performed very well then he must be able to give a good account with the currant players around him.

I'd play him at 6 or 8 and see how he goes.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by jeffwinger Wed 13 Jun 2012, 5:51 pm

I'd also like to see Haskell play in at least one of the tests, but today's performance didn't do much for his chances. I've said a number of times on here that I think Robshaw, Croft, Wood, Haskell and Morgan should form the basis of England's back row for the next few years and play together as much as possible, with the make up depending on form and availability. Without Croft and Wood on this tour, Haskell should really be a starter, but obviously this issues with travel and fitness means this probably isn't possible.

jeffwinger

Back to top Go down

Post by sirtidychris Fri 15 Jun 2012, 3:02 pm

How I see it !

1st choice
6)Croft
8)Morgan
7)Robshaw

2nd choice
6)Wood
8)Haskell
7)Armitage

3rd Choice
6) Johnson
8) Waldrom
7) Dowson

4th Choice
6) Clarke
8) Fearns
7) Wallace

sirtidychris

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 15 Jun 2012, 3:06 pm

Don't forget about Crane. He will be second choice 8 for England IMO.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by sirtidychris Fri 15 Jun 2012, 3:56 pm

True true.....Crane has been out for a while though and has to start by ousting Waldrom who has been in good form this season...i'm also not sure about his impact at international level i seem to remember he lost alot of the contact situtions and wasn't too fast...but he has had alot of time in the gym now so we shall see. There are aslo guys like Billy vunipola coming through the ranks so will many we will have a bit of competition at 8 and not just loads of blindside flankers !!

sirtidychris

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 15 Jun 2012, 4:08 pm

sirtidychris I want Clarke no where near an England shirt, ever! His ban is embarrassingly short for what was an act of complete thuggery. There was no red mist it was pre-meditated assault and had it been done away from the field he would have been facing a prison sentence.

As for Crane he did ok in what were two very short cameos on the international stage. He's not the fastest but he is capable of making yards in very tight areas, coming off the bench vs the Boks and South Africa for his first caps in an England team going backwards was a tough ask but he did ok. He has improved quite a bit since then and would have gone to the RWC warm up games had it not been for the required knee surgery that kept him out of this season.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by jeffwinger Fri 15 Jun 2012, 5:32 pm

From what I remember of Crane (it has been a long time) he has a great ability to always make a yard, even if he's got 4 defenders hanging on. He was never particularly dynamic so I'm not sure he'll transfer to the international game, not got enough about him in terms of individual impact. Don't remember ever seeing him make a break. I'm sure he has - I just don't remember one.

jeffwinger

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 15 Jun 2012, 7:36 pm

That type of player can be VERY useful in the right setup though, no? He sounds like a number 8 who has the basics mastered.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by rhonddasmackhead Fri 15 Jun 2012, 8:08 pm

"Its more to do with his personality that his skills as a rugby player but has he turned the corner and finally started to grow up?".

Takes one to know one.

rhonddasmackhead

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 15 Jun 2012, 9:17 pm

Yup Haskell is quality... not too popular with NZ hotel staff but a good player..... guinness
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 15 Jun 2012, 9:30 pm

Based on haskells highlanders form hes not yet what we would consider international standard. In fact far from it. He managed to secure a start position after half a season amd perhaps our game isnt the best for him but if a kiwi he wouldnt even have got mentioned. And at 6 we're probably at our weakest.

In saying that, he is improving. He needs a year at least at this level to have a real international impact. I like the guy. Hes taken to otago rugby an folk well and has done the hard work and learning without complaining or ego. Whether he goes back a better player i dont know but its a pity we dont have more down here.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by timhen Sat 16 Jun 2012, 1:31 am

Taylorman wrote:Based on haskells highlanders form hes not yet what we would consider international standard. In fact far from it. He managed to secure a start position after half a season amd perhaps our game isnt the best for him but if a kiwi he wouldnt even have got mentioned. And at 6 we're probably at our weakest.

In saying that, he is improving. He needs a year at least at this level to have a real international impact. I like the guy. Hes taken to otago rugby an folk well and has done the hard work and learning without complaining or ego. Whether he goes back a better player i dont know but its a pity we dont have more down here.

A bit of an exaggeration, it was after 4 games and there are 18 Super Rugby rounds before the playoffs.

Personally I think he is alright but still lacks a bit of in the moment rugby nous. There are a few players I'd start over him in an England shirt, but a handy squad member and a decent impact option for the bench.

timhen

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner Sat 16 Jun 2012, 5:52 am

Taylorman wrote:Based on haskells highlanders form hes not yet what we would consider international standard. In fact far from it. He managed to secure a start position after half a season amd perhaps our game isnt the best for him but if a kiwi he wouldnt even have got mentioned. And at 6 we're probably at our weakest.

I think it would be a bit tough to judge on Haskells international class on how he played for Highlanders. He was used extensively as a bench player and he seemed quite comfortable with that. Im sure when Jamie Joseph signed him he would have been aware of that. After all it was only a one season contract. I havent heard any Highlander supporters complain of lack of commitment.
If anything we would probably complain about the "brain fades" he semed to suffer from when tryin to do to much. (Yes the Cheetahs flanker did hold him back and probably deserve a clip but in 2012 you cant just detach urself from the scrum and thump someone!)
Can someone tell me if he suffered theese 'brain explosions" playin in the NH?

Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down