The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland V Fiji Player ratings

+4
funnyExiledScot
alive555
bsando
RDW
8 posters

Go down

Scotland V Fiji Player ratings Empty Scotland V Fiji Player ratings

Post by RDW Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:46 am

Grant - 7
Looks to cement the loosehead berth with another strong display

Ford - 7
Strong in the loose as always but his lineout is becoming more erratic, which is a worry. Good captaincy to go for a scrum instead of kick at goal

Murray - 6
Dominant in the scrum but struggled in the loose in the heat. Should have been replaced earlier

Gray - 7
Some good breenges but a stupid offload that almost got us in trouble

Kellock - 6
Not a standout performance and lacked physicality. Could find himself replaced and couldn't have much complaints.

Strokosh - 6
Carried OK and tackled well, but not his kind of game

Rennie -7
Very dynamic in attack but didn't impose himself on the breakdown as he has done in the past

Barclay - 6
Similar to Kellock - lacked physicality and looked knackered near the end. We're really missing a proper 8 this tour.

Blair - 7
Varied the attack well but didn't stand out

Laidlaw - 8
His kind of game - used the backline well, scored a poachers try and kicked all his points. Couldn't ask for any more

Visser - 8
2 tries - all that needs to be said! Black mark was his poor pillar defence at a ruck for one of their scores.

Scott - 7
Growing into international rugby with another solid display. Good passing and defence, one really good break, but a stupid knock on under little pressure.

De Luca - 9
One of his best games. Fantastic floated pass for Vissers try, huge game changing hit on a Fijian when they were on the ascendancy and looking to score

Evans - 6
Quiet game and could be replaced

Hogg - 7
Strong in attack but poor attempt at the tackle for the last Fijian try and did a stupid behind the back offload that caused trouble for us.

Lots of 7s in there but it pretty much sums our performance up - not great but not too bad! Pack must do better next game.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Scotland V Fiji Player ratings Empty Re: Scotland V Fiji Player ratings

Post by bsando Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:50 am

Nice analysis! I can't really comment as I didn't see the game nor have I seen any highlights. If anyone finds any highlights please post 'em somewhere on 606v2, i'd be very grateful OK

I remember De Luca did a fantastic floating pass to Ansbro in the Ireland WC warm up match at murrayfield, was it something similar to that?

As for Evans, I also think he might be close to losing his spot for Scotland. Great individual player, but perhaps not the best for Scotland's purposes atm.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:32 pm

Agree on ndl . He played really well.

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:00 pm

Don't disagree with any of these ratings RDW, perhaps would drop NDL to 8 but I do think he and Laidlaw were our best players.

NDL's performance was pretty inconvenient for several posters on here. I don't think Dunbar would have made that pass for Visser's first try, and I still see him as an option better suited to 12 rather than 13. NDL is our best and most complete option at 13, and he works well with Visser. Let's stick with him now and allow Laidlaw, Scott, De Luca and Visser to grow as a combination. Lots of potential there.

Number 8 was a big issue for us and it'll be the same against Samoa. With the squad we have I'm not sure there's an obvious solution. You could move Strokosch to 8 and start Harley, or just use Vernon at 8, although even I can't claim he's the ball carrying solution we're looking for. The decision not to take Beattie isn't looking too clever.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:19 pm

Full match - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdqMc261qII

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by KickAndChase Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:32 pm

NDL tackle around 1:26:00

I agree with everything except Visser - I think that's a 7. He'll get better but he effectively leaked 10 points on top of scoring his 10/14.

All the backs as a unit played better than a 7 though. Funny.

KickAndChase

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:39 pm

Our winning try came directly from the lineout after de Luca's tackle too.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:41 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Our winning try came directly from the lineout after de Luca's tackle too.
Ha, no way can you credit out winning a lineout back to NdL's tackle when he'd tried to hoof the ball away aimlessly, that is just too funny!!

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:56 pm

RDW, I'll share my thoughts on individual players below next to yours, but I'd take a point of every single rating below - yes, the game was in Fiji, in 30-odd degrees heat and bags of humidity, but we were playing largely semi-pros and amateurs, and I'm afraid that I firmly believe that the score should reflect that.
RDW_Scotland wrote:Grant - 7
Looks to cement the loosehead berth with another strong display - agreed, no problems in the scrum, tackled when asked and a couple of useful carries

Ford - 7
Strong in the loose as always but his lineout is becoming more erratic, which is a worry. Good captaincy to go for a scrum instead of kick at goal - didn't think his darts were that bad, missed one from memory? Solid scrum, useful in the loose, and seemed to have learned from his leadership issues in last game

Murray - 6
Dominant in the scrum but struggled in the loose in the heat. Should have been replaced earlier - strong in scrum, pretty quiet elsewhere

Gray - 7
Some good breenges but a stupid offload that almost got us in trouble - one daft 7's offload that wasn't on aside, the pick of the pack

Kellock - 6
Not a standout performance and lacked physicality. Could find himself replaced and couldn't have much complaints. - back to his ruck-inspecting mediocre

Strokosh - 6
Carried OK and tackled well, but not his kind of game - agreed

Rennie -7
Very dynamic in attack but didn't impose himself on the breakdown as he has done in the past - i think, to be fair, the breakdown is not the same in games against Islanders, but overall good

Barclay - 6
Similar to Kellock - lacked physicality and looked knackered near the end. We're really missing a proper 8 this tour. - agreed

Blair - 7
Varied the attack well but didn't stand out - decision-making and distribution much improved on his performance against Oz

Laidlaw - 8
His kind of game - used the backline well, scored a poachers try and kicked all his points. Couldn't ask for any more - he's just such a smart player, the pick of the bunch for me; didn't really see his defensive channel tested

Visser - 8
2 tries - all that needs to be said! Black mark was his poor pillar defence at a ruck for one of their scores. - defensive lapse aside (lessons on being a guard required), fine start to his international career, a proven finisher

Scott - 7
Growing into international rugby with another solid display. Good passing and defence, one really good break, but a stupid knock on under little pressure. - agreed

De Luca - 9
One of his best games. Fantastic floated pass for Vissers try, huge game changing hit on a Fijian when they were on the ascendancy and looking to score - can't see how he's scored any higher than Scott, and certainly not the pick of the backs for me (Laidlaw is the mastermind, not de Luca)

Evans - 6
Quiet game and could be replaced - for a man that can in theory step a player in a phone box, mystified as to why he thought going thru Watisoni Votu was the right answer? Poor overall

Hogg - 7
Strong in attack but poor attempt at the tackle for the last Fijian try and did a stupid behind the back offload that caused trouble for us. - is the weight of expectation too high for him, feel like we expect magic every time; solid, if not spectacular

Lots of 7s in there but it pretty much sums our performance up - not great but not too bad! Pack must do better next game.

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:05 pm

Caught some of it on ESPN.

Visser looks like a giant.

Good win for Scotland.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:44 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Our winning try came directly from the lineout after de Luca's tackle too.
Ha, no way can you credit out winning a lineout back to NdL's tackle when he'd tried to hoof the ball away aimlessly, that is just too funny!!

Ha - I'm not saying that, just that his huge hit was the difference between them being camped on our line, and us being in an attacking position that led to a score!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:27 pm

All too high

Take at least one off each player - Fiji are not a great team, Scotland beat them but not by that much.

and I am a big Scotland fan

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down