The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

British and Irish Lions vs ZANZAR a possibility?

+14
aucklandlaurie
robbo277
ChequeredJersey
RDW
thebandwagonsociety
emack2
Full Credit
Brendan
Bathman_in_London
profitius
fa0019
cp10
RuggerRadge2611
Biltong
18 posters

Go down

British and Irish Lions vs ZANZAR a possibility? Empty British and Irish Lions vs ZANZAR a possibility?

Post by Biltong Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:11 pm

Found this artilce on another website.

Australian Rugby Union boss John O’Neill is floating the idea of either an ANZAC or SANZAR composite side playing the British and Irish Lions in 2015 according to a report on Fox Sports Website.

An ANZAC team played once before, losing to the Lions on their 1989 tour of Australia, though there were very few New Zealanders in that side.

The Lions, who visit Australia next year, are traditionally a touring side that don’t play at home.

O’Neill is looking at ways to commemorate the centenary of the Gallipoli conflict in 2015.

With no Tests planned after the 2015 World Cup in England winds up at the end of October, O’Neill suggested that either an ANZAC or SANZAR team could face a Lions combination in London in November.

O’Neill stressed it was speculation on his part rather than a firm proposal, with no formal talks conducted yet with New Zealand on the subject.

“With the Gallipoli centenary coming up, an ANZAC team – a combined All Black-Wallaby team – playing the British Lions (is an option). Not necessarily in Turkey, maybe Twickenham, that would be a nice contest.

“Australia and New Zealand on the field of battle were a pretty potent force and a combined All Black-Wallaby team would be a pretty potent force as well.

“We’ve often speculated whether we should try and emulate what the Lions do and maybe have a combined SANZAR team and bring South Africa into it.

“The concept of a combined SANZAR team or a combined ANZAC team is something that gets bounced around every now and then.

“It often ends up in the too hard basket, but it’s conceptually got some appeal.”

Meanwhile, O’Neill estimated the 2013 Lions tour could be worth somewhere between $A300-400 million to the Australian economy.

O’Neill didn’t expect the difficult economic conditions in Europe would have a negative impact on the number of Lions supporters travelling to Australia.

“A waiting list of 26,000 people have registered interest in buying travel packages is a pretty good indication that they are fairly impervious,” O’Neill said.

The Lions schedule includes three Tests, matches against all five Australian Super teams and one against a combined NSW-Queensland country side.

He said the availability of Wallabies players for their Super teams matches against the Lions was a delicate subject with a policy still to be determined.

“I think for the earlier games you would like the Super Rugby teams to be at full strength,” O’Neill said.

“The closer you get to the Test matches you may have to look at standing down some Wallabies.”
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

British and Irish Lions vs ZANZAR a possibility? Empty Re: British and Irish Lions vs ZANZAR a possibility?

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:16 pm

I would go see that match, especially if it was in the UK, or even if it was across the Irish sea. It would be historic.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

British and Irish Lions vs ZANZAR a possibility? Empty Re: British and Irish Lions vs ZANZAR a possibility?

Post by cp10 Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:21 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:I would go see that match, especially if it was in the UK, or even if it was across the Irish sea. It would be historic.

Would be good if it could be played in non rugby country to build up rugby's global presence.

Found this, there's talk of a Barbarians vs SA match in Amsterdam.

Wanted man Tim Visser set for call to arms from home

cp10

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:57 pm

The only problem I have with this is if they do this all for money and revenue... rather than commenmorating the glorious dead. Hopefully every single penny earned will go to charity including players bonuses etc.

otherwise it would be a fantastic idea.

SA should be involved both for rugby and remembrance reasons. My vrou's oupa like many other Boere of their time joined up and fought in WWII for blighty even though they were the blood enemies of their people. Just like many did in WWI.

Its a bit of a stain on the UK on how they've forgotton these guys.. there are still WWII vets living in Zimbabwe notably rotting in old age homes. Whilst these guys and their comrades made the ultimate sacrifice the UK has conveniently forgotton about them due to political appeasment.

sorry bit of a sore point there.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:57 pm

Another money making scheme. The Aussies must be short of cash!
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:59 pm

Sadly you can't see it all including stadium hire going to charity... It would be a great idea though, much better than playing Argentina pre tour.

Its a real stain fa, I completely agree with you, pretty disgraceful how the whole thing has been handled, pretty much since 1945. Off topic I know.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:01 pm

Bathman.

I agree, things like this can't be completely free.. i.e. utility costs etc. But costs should work to the live aid model... kept to a bare minimum just so that no one involved in the logistics etc makes a profit and the max revenue possible goes to the guys who need it.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:04 pm

on a side note will the lions be done away with if the NH become the equal of the SH

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:14 pm

profitius wrote:Another money making scheme. The Aussies must be short of cash!
Why, because people only have ideas when they need money? The RWC was our idea too, I don't hear too many people complaining about that.

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:15 pm

Well lets hope they'd do it that way fa. I'd certainly go to this game if it was played at twickenham, so thats £50 for the charity already!

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:21 pm

Brendan wrote:on a side note will the lions be done away with if the NH become the equal of the SH
Why would it be done away with?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:25 pm

I guess what Brendan is suggesting when WAL, IRE, SCO and ENG regularly go down to NZ on there own and regularly win test series what would be the point of them joining together.

Not that I see it happening mind.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:33 pm

From a historical point of view in the 1960`s there were NH vrsus SH mixed teams to celebrate some event[1964 I think].Also NZ and SA have played matches versus World XV`s in the case of NZ it was a 1-1 series.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:37 pm

Yeah, we klapped them 3-0
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:52 pm

Not that the NH would win regularly but would win say one test and win home matches.

People are already suggesting that we will win the Aus series so if Ireland thought they could lose a series against SA/NZ/Oz 2-1 in tight games why would the lions not win 3-0.

The great lion feeling is that we can win but it will be tough, and I think the magic might get lost.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:58 pm

If they got the RFU on board it would be a runner alright. Maybe a Barbarians vs SANZAR game. Twickenham hosting it would probably generate the most cash and the RFU could keep their costs down quite well. Have an Army vs Navy pre-match game turn it into an event. Player insurance would probably be the tricky part. But a nice concept and timely.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:08 pm

Would be fantastic to see this happen.

Shotgun at Murrayfield!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:43 pm

Brendan

To be honest I think going into the Lions series, the lions have been favourites in 01 & 09... yet they didn't win then. The best teams often don't win....

93 the Lions should have won the series and were only denied this by a last min dubious penalty in the 1st test.
97 SA were dominant yet could convert kicks.
01 the Lions were probably the biggest favourites ever going into the series but a number of injuries and management issues cost them.
09 the Lions were favourites again esp up front, everyone spoke about the boks weak front row.

Only in 05 in the last 5 tours has the favourite gone on to win the series. Being the favourites in 2013 is not necessarily a good thing.

It will always be a massive challenge... national teams spend years getting to know calls, plays, fellow players instincts. Lions players have 8 weeks and at best 5 matches to get it all right and be competitive. Additionally, all Lions tests are away from home... the 3N sides are formidable at home... they hardly even lose to each other at home, let alone teams from the NH.

Tour victories are and will forever be memorable and rare.

Between 89-97 we were blessed with some truly great players in Guscott, Moore, Evans, Johnson, Hastings, Gibbs et al..... a lot of those players i.e. Guscott & Hastings get stick but in reality... they were truly amongst the best players in the world... something very few NH players these days truly reach, if any.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:48 pm

Could be great. We'd likely lose at the moment, but it'd be worth it to see JOC, Beale, SBW, Carter, Genia and Pietersen all play together!
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:52 pm

Beale
Jane/Pietersen
AAC
Nonu/SBW/Steyn
JOC
Carter/Cruden
Genia
Read
Pocock/McCaw/Smith
Burger/Kaino
Bekker
Whitelock
Franks
Du Plessis
Du Plessis

Franks, Strauss, Etzebeth, any other backrower, Hougaard, Goosen, SBW

Scary team
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:33 pm

I fully came on this thread ready to bash this idea. I think there's barely enough time in the rugby calendar for the Lions tour (I'd much rather see the Lions take what's left after the home nations have selected their squads and sent to developing rugby nations), without this, but a one-off game done for the right reasons (as this one is) has a lot of merit.

The World Cup final will be at Twickenham on the 31st October 2015. Remembrance Sunday will be the 8th November 2015 (just 8 days later), and as mentioned it is the 100 year anniversary of Gallipoli. The timing is perfect, if perfect is the right word, and if done right it could generate some serious funds. Ticket sales, commemorative kits and programs, TV rights etc. I echo sentiments that these funds should go to charities though, otherwise it is using the memory of these atrocities to generate profits for individuals, and in my opinion that would be morally wrong.

A Northern Hemisphere Vs Southern Hemisphere game is the way I'd go. There's no country that hasn't been affected by conflict, and I think it should be a fully inclusive game. Should we exclude France? Should we exclude South Africa? There's no reason to not let these countries play.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:29 pm

Both France and South Africa were heavily involved in both WWI & WWII with the allies... it would be wrong to exclude them.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:35 pm

I agree
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:39 pm

The last time South Africa teamed up with the Kiwis and the Aussies they chased Rommel all over the North Afrikan desert.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:48 pm

I'm not a fan of Oniel. But I don't think he's coming at it from a money spinning perspective. Any receipts would have to be split between all the participants and the players would have to be paid on top. It's probably more about putting rugby in the Australian public eye (union is behind AFl, League, and football), and because it will be a major event in NZ/Australia.

I think it's more likely to be a an Anzac team. The significance of Galipoli is not just that NZ and Australia went to war, it's the formation of the modern states. The effects of Gallipoli were that both NZ and Australia began to see themselves as separate from Britain. Anzac day 2015 is likely to be huge down under.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:17 am

ChequeredJersey wrote:Beale
Jane/Pietersen
AAC
Nonu/SBW/Steyn
JOC
Carter/Cruden
Genia
Read
Pocock/McCaw/Smith
Burger/Kaino
Bekker
Whitelock
Franks
Du Plessis
Du Plessis

Franks, Strauss, Etzebeth, any other backrower, Hougaard, Goosen, SBW

Scary team

AAC instead of Conrad Smith? What is it the Tui billboards say again? Yeah, right!

Apart from that, team looks awesome!

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:09 am

Yeah forgot Smith, amazingly. Also good chance of Dagg on the bench
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:14 am

Then the Lions plus Malzieu, Medard, Parra, Dusautoir, Pape, Maestri and Servat is pretty brutal too
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:16 pm

It’s got to be done....in Manchester please!

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:46 pm

France were involved in WW2 ? Ah yes I forgot, every old Frenchman was in the resitance and knew De Gaulle.

The Itallians switched sides, should they be involved too ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:54 pm

munkian wrote:France were involved in WW2 ? Ah yes I forgot, every old Frenchman was in the resitance and knew De Gaulle.

Well seeing that the allies will be playing against each other, perhaps the Italians have a neutral referee?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:11 pm

Spot on Very Happy
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:51 pm

munkian wrote:France were involved in WW2 ? Ah yes I forgot, every old Frenchman was in the resitance and knew De Gaulle.

Yes, so should the Germans, Russians and Japanese (if they have any players good enough). We all suffered through the wars.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by mr_stonelea Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:23 pm

and don't forget the pacific islanders - there are quite a few south sea island names on the Menin Gate

mr_stonelea

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down