The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Open Qualifying

+8
super_realist
John Cregan
twoeightnine
1GrumpyGolfer
SmithersJones
hend085
Doon the Water
I'm never wrong
12 posters

Go down

Open Qualifying Empty Open Qualifying

Post by I'm never wrong Sun 24 Jun 2012, 10:27 am

Anybody with a day off tomorrow who would like to watch some golf, there is regional qualifying for The Open at a number of locations.
Click Here

[Edit] Oops just also noticed that there is additionally International Final Qualifying at Sunningdale tomorrow.
Entry List

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Open Qualifying Empty Re: Open Qualifying

Post by Doon the Water Tue 26 Jun 2012, 9:08 am

I see a Welsh guy had a 95 at Berwick.

Have they raised the handicap limit to 18!!

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Tue 26 Jun 2012, 1:08 pm

what is the criteria for getting into this qualifying round?

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Tue 26 Jun 2012, 1:14 pm

There was a 97 at Abridge, several scores over 90. Shocking, since I believe you have to be either scratch or a pro to enter. I did notice the guy who shot 97 was listed as affiliated to a recruitment agency, though, rather than a club, so presumably just some muppet who's declared himself a pro just for Poopie & giggles.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Tue 26 Jun 2012, 2:12 pm

He is probably very busy coaching at a golf range.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Tue 26 Jun 2012, 2:37 pm

There were plenty of DQs at The London club; wonder what was happening there?

I see Lee Bowyer and Gary O'Neill tried their luck there too and were unsuccessful in their attempts to qualify.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by twoeightnine Tue 26 Jun 2012, 2:47 pm

I think that you have to play off 3 or 4 to be able to have a go. There was a guy who managed to start quite a few rounds years ago but was hauled off after a few holes most times. I think he finished a couple of rounds well into the hundreds. He was something like a cabby who hardly played.

I would have thought that it shouldn't be that hard to check someone's hc now-a-days. So would guess that the low hc players are really that level.

Don't forget that the London Club is a modern course that they can really stretch for the big pros so could really spit out a few golfers. As well as the pressure of trying to qualify for the Open.

twoeightnine

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Tue 26 Jun 2012, 2:50 pm

1GrumpyGolfer wrote:There were plenty of DQs at The London club; wonder what was happening there?

I see Lee Bowyer and Gary O'Neill tried their luck there too and were unsuccessful in their attempts to qualify.

Perhaps Bowyer was DQ'd for attempeting to hit one of his playing partners with a club!!

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by twoeightnine Tue 26 Jun 2012, 2:52 pm

Just had a look at the entry form and you have to be scratch or better.

twoeightnine

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 26 Jun 2012, 2:53 pm

twoeightnine wrote:Just had a look at the entry form and you have to be scratch or better.

It's always been that but I'm surprised it's that high, given how the British Amateur was +2.9.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by EmmDee57 Tue 26 Jun 2012, 2:57 pm

twoeightnine wrote:I think that you have to play off 3 or 4 to be able to have a go. There was a guy who managed to start quite a few rounds years ago but was hauled off after a few holes most times. I think he finished a couple of rounds well into the hundreds. He was something like a cabby who hardly played.

Maurice Flitcroft. I read his book, it's very amusing.

Wonder what Bowyer & O'Neill play off that they were able to attempt to qualify. 79 wasn't a bad effort from the pair of them.

EmmDee57

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Tue 26 Jun 2012, 3:01 pm

super_realist wrote:
twoeightnine wrote:Just had a look at the entry form and you have to be scratch or better.

It's always been that but I'm surprised it's that high, given how the British Amateur was +2.9.

Was +2.9 the highest in the field or the criteria?

The reason could be due to field size; the Amateur could be limited to x number of participants due to the strokeplay qualifying and then the matchplay finals. The Open qualifying could probably entertain more entrants but then fewer qualifiers from each course go through to the next stages.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Tue 26 Jun 2012, 3:03 pm

O'Neil is a member at The London and he's off scratch there. He's played a couple of EuroPro events too recently but he wasn't very successful.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 26 Jun 2012, 3:03 pm

+2.9 was the minimum handicap for entry, most were much much better. A friend of mine was =2.9 and was 92nd reserve. NOt sure there is such a thing as a true amateur at that level.

Perhaps being "Scratch" is a reflection of the "Open" nature of the Open. Wonder why more of these top amateurs don't try to get in and relative hackers like O'Neil and Bowyer can try out.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by EmmDee57 Tue 26 Jun 2012, 3:07 pm

SR, if O'Neill is a "relative hacker" and he plays of scratch, do you then put yourself below that category and class yourself as a "proper hacker"?

EmmDee57

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Tue 26 Jun 2012, 3:09 pm

Who do you mean by "top" amateur super? I think some get passes through this round of the qualifier straight in to the local final qualifying

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Tue 26 Jun 2012, 3:10 pm

Super, that's amazing. I wonder if they keep the handicap so low/high to restrict entries and that would stop them from turning another few hundred away.

Could also be due to the number of qualifying courses. There were 13 used at this first stage, with a high proportion being around London and the south of England. I think two were in the Midlands, two in the NW, one was close to the Scottish border, one in Scotland and one in Ireland.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 26 Jun 2012, 3:10 pm

EmmDee, I was talking about their handicaps in relation to those taking part in the British Amateur.

In comparison to those guys in the British Amateur, I am also a hacker, not a great deal worse than O'Neil.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by twoeightnine Tue 26 Jun 2012, 3:18 pm

In the entry form they seemed to indicate that they would add extra courses/days if it was over subscribed. I wonder whether that is a reflection that they want it to be a proper open or that they just want the £140 entries.

twoeightnine

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Tue 26 Jun 2012, 3:18 pm

There's a long list - maybe 40 or more - of events that carry automatic entry into the Amateur Championship for the winners. Win one of those, and you get into the Amateur Championship.

There were plenty of guys in the Amateur playing off scratch or +1 because they won one of those events.

All that means it's harder for other guys to get in, that's why the limit was set so high this time for everyone else.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Wed 27 Jun 2012, 1:46 pm

Just looking down the qualifiers and the name Warren Bennett jumped out-he was going to be a big name a few years ago Also Iain Pyman.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Wed 27 Jun 2012, 4:05 pm

Hi Dyna, I remember those two names as well. Don't follow Challenge Tour or EuroPro so do wonder where and how these people get on. Pyman was Amateur Champion once I believe.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down