The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ATP Monte-Carlo Masters: the Final

+8
Mad for Chelsea
Haddie-nuff
socal1976
cats_r_cool
Solerina
Wooffie
Stealth Maestro Agro Love
Green
12 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

ATP Monte-Carlo Masters: the Final - Page 2 Empty ATP Monte-Carlo Masters: the Final

Post by Green Sat 09 Apr 2011, 9:18 pm

First topic message reminder :

Monte-Carlo Rolex Masters
ATP World Tour Masters 1000

Monte-Carlo, Monaco
date: 10-17 April 2011
surface: Red Clay
prize money: € 2,750,000

Day 8 - The Final:
Sunday, April 17th, 2011

2:15 p.m. GMT / 1:15 p.m. CET
Court Central:

Rafael NADAL (1) - David FERRER (4) > 6:4 7:5

H2H: 12-4
[9-1 clay; 3-3 hard]

Last two meetings:
Australian Open 2011, D. Ferrer 6:4 6:2 6:3
Rome Masters 2010, R. Nadal 7:5 6:2

Road to the Final:
> Rafael Nadal: > > > David Ferrer:
- SF - A. Murray > 6:4 2:6 6:1
- QF - I. Ljubičić > 6:4 6:2
- R3 - R. Gasquet > 6:2 6:4
- R2 - J. Nieminen > 6:2 6:2
- SF - J. Melzer > 6:3 6:2
- QF - V. Troicki > 6:3 6:3
- R3 - M. Raonić > 6:1 6:3
- R2 - F. Lopez > 6:2 6:0

Monte-Carlo 2011 Champion:
Rafael Nadal

Links:
Men Singles Draw
Order of Play
Live Scores
Official tournament website

Last edited by Green on Sun 17 Apr 2011, 4:29 pm; edited 59 times in total (Reason for editing : THE END)

Green

Back to top Go down

ATP Monte-Carlo Masters: the Final - Page 2 Empty Re: ATP Monte-Carlo Masters: the Final

Post by cats_r_cool Mon 11 Apr 2011, 5:40 am

Thanks for this Green Hug

Good luck to Baggy Very Happy

cats_r_cool

Back to top Go down

ATP Monte-Carlo Masters: the Final - Page 2 Empty Re: ATP Monte-Carlo Masters: the Final

Post by cats_r_cool Mon 11 Apr 2011, 12:35 pm

Youzhny is out Shocked I had him getting to the quarters Doh

I think all my picks need to be very afraid!!

cats_r_cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 11 Apr 2011, 1:37 pm

socal1976 wrote:I think Nicky Almagro can do some damage on this surface he could be a dark horse in my mind to get to the semis and possibly the final. Good serve, good mover, great power off both sides, and hits the ball very heavy. Love his one-handed backhand. He just seems to be a little up and down with his game.

Nico´s home town is very near to where I live and so I have a "little soft spot " for him. Trouble is with him Socal he has little in the way of self-belief... he plays like a deamon until the finishing post is within reach and suddenly he gets the wobbles and then chokes.. He has a great serve, wonderful backhand and is a natural on clay Good temperament....He could do some damage on route but I dont think he will beat Fed and if he does he may get Ferrer and I think little Daveeeeeed will make short work of him.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Mon 11 Apr 2011, 2:34 pm

Almagro's made short work of a potentially troublesome opponent there, good for him. He did very well (as usual) during the South american clay court swing as well.... potential dark horse indeed! Ok!

Gasquet vs. Istomin looks set to go to the wire!

Davydenko an early break up on Haase as well. I kinda thought Haase might win that one; neither are particularly good on clay but Davydenko in particular hasn't looked great since coming back from injury.... Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by cats_r_cool Mon 11 Apr 2011, 2:58 pm

Baggy's been breadsticked in the 2nd set after winning the first 6-3 Sad

cats_r_cool

Back to top Go down

Post by cats_r_cool Mon 11 Apr 2011, 3:22 pm

Baggy breaks to go 3-1 3rd set Yahoo But then he did have problems holding his serve last time out Shocked

cats_r_cool

Back to top Go down

Post by cats_r_cool Mon 11 Apr 2011, 3:24 pm

🤦

cats_r_cool

Back to top Go down

Post by cats_r_cool Mon 11 Apr 2011, 4:06 pm

Quite a nasty fall there by Stepanek. I imagine all that dirt getting into scrapes would be quite painful - ouch.

cats_r_cool

Back to top Go down

Post by cats_r_cool Mon 11 Apr 2011, 4:27 pm

Baggy Sad Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Well done Stepanek :applause:

cats_r_cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 11 Apr 2011, 4:28 pm

When all was said and done I think Steppie deserved that match.. there were times when Baggy played too many sloppy shots.. far too many unforced errors cost him the match.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Green Mon 11 Apr 2011, 5:06 pm

Davydenko's out... again! Doh

Green

Back to top Go down

Post by cats_r_cool Mon 11 Apr 2011, 5:11 pm

I agree Haddie-nuff. On his day Baggy can beat the best (and has done), but he can get sloppy and it does cost him matches he should be winning. Quite frustrating mad

cats_r_cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Mon 11 Apr 2011, 6:16 pm

Green wrote:Davydenko's out... again! ATP Monte-Carlo Masters: the Final - Page 2 56390

And Green's picks go up in smoke... again! ATP Monte-Carlo Masters: the Final - Page 2 3497602689

Back to top Go down

Post by Green Mon 11 Apr 2011, 10:22 pm

Actually, that's true. He did that to me for the 2nd time in a row. I ain't picking him ever again.

However, my picks did not go up in smoke, I won - by one pick. And that was Tsonga! Shocked

Green

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 Apr 2011, 12:00 am

Apart from a few exceptions most of the first round matches were drawn out affairs going to three sets. Almagro, Robredo and Cilic amongst others appear to be in good form.

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 12 Apr 2011, 4:45 am

Haddie, that is pretty cool Almagro is from your hometown , I didn't know. I have a soft spot for him as well. He kind of looks like a younger, taller, skinnier version of me. He had Nadal on the ropes last year during one of the clay master's series and just like you said he fell apart in the end.

Yes, I think little David would be a tough opponent, but if Nicholas plays well he could be David and give Roger troubles. I am still sticking with my pick for him to get to the Semis.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 12 Apr 2011, 7:47 am

Socal he comes from Murcia... I live approx 12 miles away...
I always think Nico is in there with a chance... he did have Rafa running like a hare for most of that match... but I always get the feeling that at the end of the day he doesn´t have the belief he can finish it., This is where David scores... he does believe and never stops believing and if ever a player deserves more success than he gets.. it is Ferrer. I hope your prediction is right... No one would more tickled pink than me.. let me assure you Yahoo

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 12 Apr 2011, 1:25 pm

hello everyone, tsonga vs Ljubicic is looking interesting

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Green Tue 12 Apr 2011, 3:57 pm

What is Gulbis doing?! mad

Green

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 12 Apr 2011, 4:16 pm

Down a set 4 - 6 and 1-1- when I last checked.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Green Tue 12 Apr 2011, 4:49 pm

Gulbis finally breaks, only to get broken right away Sad! Raonic to serve for the match once more...

Green

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 12 Apr 2011, 4:53 pm

Too little tool late from Gulbis 🤦

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Tue 12 Apr 2011, 5:37 pm

Gulbis was to be the future of tennis! - please don't jinx Raonic by saying this.

However he may just have the edge re skill 8)

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Tue 12 Apr 2011, 7:39 pm

And with that result Raonic strides ahead of Gulbis in the rankings. thumbsup

So, I suppose that means he's the futur-

Wink

On another note, i'm very impressed with how the Canadian has taken to clay, he seems to have movement that belies the 'big serve' reputation he's developed. OK, he's not Tommy Robredo but he can handle the stuff.

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 12 Apr 2011, 7:47 pm

THIS_IS_THE_NEWS wrote:And with that result Raonic strides ahead of Gulbis in the rankings. thumbsup

Wink

On another note, i'm very impressed with how the Canadian has taken to clay, he seems to have movement that belies the 'big serve' reputation he's developed. OK, he's not Tommy Robredo but he can handle the stuff.

Yet strange I read that his coach said he did not think he would do well on clay.. so even a coach can be wrong obviously.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Tue 12 Apr 2011, 7:55 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:
THIS_IS_THE_NEWS wrote:And with that result Raonic strides ahead of Gulbis in the rankings. thumbsup

Wink

Yet strange I read that his coach said he did not think he would do well on clay.. so even a coach can be wrong obviously.
I guess so! That said, he's only faced Gulbis and Llodra so far, who are both obviously top players, but neither excel on clay, especially Llodra. He's likely to face David Ferrer next, and his performance, if not necessarily the likely result, will speak volumes about his potential on clay. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 12 Apr 2011, 8:15 pm

Certainly he will need to move a bit better than he did today.. for sure David will give him the runaround.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 13 Apr 2011, 4:59 am

Yeah, I tend to agree with Haddie although impressed with Raonic, I think David is going to give him a clay court lessan. From the first time I saw him play I thought he was a real strong contender for future grandslam honors. He is no Ivo Karlovic, big serve yes, but a pretty solid mover, good off the ground especially the forehand and also a very good volleyer. He is a good all around player, it is just hard when you watch him to think of anything other then his monster serve.

Still I think David takes in two tough sets. I look for little David's return and defense, and scrambling ability, to neutralize that power on the slow courts of Monaco.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Wooffie Wed 13 Apr 2011, 6:21 am

Ahem ... Daveed has to beat Feli yet Whistle

We have tickets today for the Grandstand, but are hoping to be able to get in for that match. Some good ones on 2nd today.

Will drop in with reports. Ok!
Wooffie
Wooffie

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 13 Apr 2011, 8:40 am

Wooffie, i am so envious of you must be hard having to travel to the south of france to watch tennis? Anyway, I think David will take down Feli on clay, either way it should be great match, enjoy yourself.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Wed 13 Apr 2011, 1:44 pm

Verdasco down a set as Robredo finally converts his break point to nick it 6-4. Not a great tournament for Verdasco to lose the first round in, this one, but it's a nasty opponent to have in the 1st round as well!

Nadal is busy being being Nadal, impressive old result for Monfils today, too. Nice to see him back from injury yet again.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 13 Apr 2011, 2:46 pm

Murray-time Yahoo

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 13 Apr 2011, 3:16 pm

Murray finally breaks serve at the fourth time of asking Yahoo

He's getting good depth on his shots and is controlling the rallies with his forehand

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 13 Apr 2011, 3:23 pm

and double break Yahoo

Murray looking a lot better than he has for a while

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by cats_r_cool Wed 13 Apr 2011, 3:25 pm

I really hope Andy can get a few wins under his belt and get his confidence back a bit.

Very much enjoyed Rafa's match earlier. Couple of those rallies were crackers. Always a lot less stressful watching him play on clay Very Happy

cats_r_cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 13 Apr 2011, 3:32 pm

Set point... And Murray in the way we know and love steps in and demolishes the second serve to take the set 6-1, lovely stuff.

Murray hit 12 winners and just ONE unforced error in that set. Yahoo

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 13 Apr 2011, 3:37 pm

Watched the second set of Nadal earlier, and he looked very impressive. Tell you what, that forehand of Murray's is looking pretty good out there today.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 13 Apr 2011, 3:48 pm

That's great news on Murray for the first set at least, fingers crossed he can keep it up! Would love for him to get back into form again!

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 13 Apr 2011, 3:57 pm

At 30-15, Murray produces his third UE of the day when a forehand down the line goes wide, but at 30-30 he produces a remarkable passing shot which Stepanek has no answer to. Stepanek then nets and Andy has the break Yahoo

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 13 Apr 2011, 3:59 pm

Well it was getting a bit too easy, so Murray slips to 0-40 down. Fear not though, as he produces a fine drop shot, a well-placed backhand and an ace to save all three BPs. Another forehand winner follows and when Stepanek goes long he has consolidated the break.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Wed 13 Apr 2011, 4:41 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:Well it was getting a bit too easy, so Murray slips to 0-40 down. Fear not though, as he produces a fine drop shot, a well-placed backhand and an ace to save all three BPs. Another forehand winner follows and when Stepanek goes long he has consolidated the break.

Signs of his form returning, and on clay - keep it Andy thumbsup

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 13 Apr 2011, 5:32 pm

Andy played a great match really looked sharp. Lets hope he is back to his best. Although Stepanek is a poor clay courter and over the hill, he still has some ability. And Andy's movement and forehand looked wonderful today.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Wed 13 Apr 2011, 5:43 pm

Let's keep it realistic. He beat a Serve and Volleyer on clay. That's not really giving us any real signs for the future, is it?

A win is a win, though. I bet he's chuffed to finally get that loss streak off his back. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 13 Apr 2011, 6:11 pm

The second round at Monte Carlo was characterised by one sided matches. It is pleasing to see Richard Gasquet playing well (amongst others).

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Wed 13 Apr 2011, 6:24 pm

Fernando Verdasco's form is a bit concerning too... 3 losses on the bounce, I believe.

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 13 Apr 2011, 6:28 pm

I think Fernando is not the same player he was two years ago. He hasn't looked right to me all year. He doesn't seem to have the same penetration on his shots.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Wed 13 Apr 2011, 6:34 pm

Yeah, he's looked unconvincing so far this year. I think the Davis Cup and Australian Open 2008 was his 'peak' period if you like; he never played like that before and hasn't since, but he is still a top player; look at the clay court season he had last year, won Barcelona, came close in Rome and lost only to the imperious Nadal in Monte Carlo.

This year however he's just looked poor. Brief flashes of brilliance in the Aussie Open aside he's just not cut the mustard, and if that continues in the clay court season, where he did so well last season, then he'll be tumbling down the rankings.

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Wed 13 Apr 2011, 6:35 pm

I think Nando has had a niggling foot problem for the last couple of years
He was undecided last year whether to have an operation.
A tricky decision.. foot injuries (I can say with conviction) are notoriously difficult to fully recover from.. he has stuck with it but it shows. Sad I like Nando when he is playing at the top of his game but I fear this might be one he wont get over so easy.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Thu 14 Apr 2011, 12:12 pm

No surprises for Raonic and Ferrer. Decent tournament for Raonic though; breaks the Top 30 now. Smile

Ljubicic and Berdych is a different though, disappointing result for Berdych, he had a good chance to go a decent distance in the tournament with his draw.

Predictions for the rest of the day:

Nadal bt Gasquet in 2
Federer bt Cilic in 2
Monfils bt Gil in 3
Simon bt Murray in 2
Robredo bt Troicki in 2
Melzer bt Almagro in 3

ATP Monte-Carlo Masters: the Final - Page 2 1479719350

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Thu 14 Apr 2011, 12:59 pm

30-30 at 6-2, 5-4 to Nadal against Gasquet. Gasquet had a chance at 15-30 but Nadal powered his way back.

Match point to Nadal............ he takes it. Nadal through the quarters.

Robredo retires injured, even though he was a set up! Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next