The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dont believe the hype

+5
UpandUnder
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
Valero's Conscience
mobilemaster8
AZZJ44
9 posters

Go down

Dont believe the hype Empty Dont believe the hype

Post by AZZJ44 Tue 26 Jun 2012 - 11:50

When have you not believed the hype in a fighter and been proved right?
And has a performance from a fighter changed your opinion totally on him?

Id say wlad klitscho could probably go in both brackets.
Jeff Lacy for the first for me, Rios (just didnt see what the fuss was about with him) and John Murray. Ok the last one sounds a joke now but last year if was being talked about as one away from a world title.

Thoughts...

AZZJ44

Back to top Go down

Dont believe the hype Empty Re: Dont believe the hype

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue 26 Jun 2012 - 11:58

Jeff Lacy is my number 1 "over hyped" fighter. His loss against Calzaghe proved the end of his career in effect.

Brandon Rios is another, again, dont see much in him. Would be completely outclassed by a counter puncher (watch Abril fight).

Performance changer for me would be Ortiz vs Berto. Ortiz was under the microscope A LOT after his quit against Maidana and his in ring attitude. Against Berto he wore his heart on his glove and took part in a FOTY candidate.

Id also mention Khan vs Maidana. Khan was being scrutinised for being a "chinny" fighter, yet he took some of Maidana's hardest shots and still fought to a hard points victory.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Tue 26 Jun 2012 - 11:59

I never quite understood Hatton's hype in all honesty. His losses to Floyd and Pac don't prove my point as beat most guys anyway but never understood it.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 26 Jun 2012 - 12:07

Kevin Mitchell I just never seen it. Sky and Warren hyped him up and he got embarrassed by Katsidis.

David Haye he was a good cruiser but nothing more than that and a very average heavyweight.

Amir Khan I just wasn't convinced until his victory over Maidana. He took a good shot, had the odd wobble but won pretty comfortably in the end. Khan was rocked at one point but never went down, he nearly had Maidana out in the first round with a beautiful body shot just like he finished Judah off with.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by UpandUnder Tue 26 Jun 2012 - 12:19

Mike Jones...was hyped up beyond belief by Arum/media to be next big WW prospect but in every fight he looked vunerable.

UpandUnder

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 26 Jun 2012 - 12:40

Probably Malignaggi for me. Gets depicted as some kind of masterful technician with just a worthwhile punch missing from his arsenal but I can't view him like that; his performances against N'Dou and Hatton were so wretched I ended up watching them through parted fingers. A big heart and fairly entertaining (only pre-fight, mind you!) at times, but I've never viewed him as kindly as others.

Tarver is another one, too. Couldn't quite fathom why there was such a wave of sympathy for him after the first Jones fight, for instance. He clearly lost it and fought such a tentative battle that he made the aforementioned Paulie look gung-ho. Got it right next time out, of course, but has been largely disappointing since. Yet he's walked in to plenty of big fights and is still regarded as a fairly big attraction.

One performance recently which has really surprised me was Cotto's against Mayweather. He lost, of course, but I truly believed that he had next to nothing left beforehand and that there was nothing he could do to offset Floyd, but aside from his victories over Judah and Mosley, I'd never been more impressed with him than that night.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Tue 26 Jun 2012 - 12:49

I thought khan would be knocked out pre-Prescott, he just looked like he was an amateur boxer with fast hands who would be found out by anyone with power

I also think that he proved me wrong with the Maidana fight (although I wasn't too impressed as he shouldn't have got caught) as I thought he was still an accident waiting to happen again. I also think that Judah was his coming out fight for me. He domained him easily enough and did everything right to win

David Haye, never impressed at HW, thought the vitali fight was due to the lack of action and the others fighters in his resume was awful

David Lemieux- I have never rated Canadian boxing so thought he could be bothered by a tough middleweight and has been beat twice now. He is a 4 round fighter but was thought by many as prospect of the year

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Floyd Louis Tue 26 Jun 2012 - 12:52

Khan for me also. Very overhyped!

Sugar Floyd Louis

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 26 Jun 2012 - 12:54

Canelo

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Tue 26 Jun 2012 - 13:01

azania wrote:Canelo

I don't think you looked at the first post, it's about fighters you don't believe the hype AND have been proved right or wrong, it's not about who you don't rate in boxing as lists could be endless

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 26 Jun 2012 - 13:07

88Chris05 wrote:Probably Malignaggi for me. Gets depicted as some kind of masterful technician with just a worthwhile punch missing from his arsenal but I can't view him like that; his performances against N'Dou and Hatton were so wretched I ended up watching them through parted fingers. A big heart and fairly entertaining (only pre-fight, mind you!) at times, but I've never viewed him as kindly as others.

Tarver is another one, too. Couldn't quite fathom why there was such a wave of sympathy for him after the first Jones fight, for instance. He clearly lost it and fought such a tentative battle that he made the aforementioned Paulie look gung-ho. Got it right next time out, of course, but has been largely disappointing since. Yet he's walked in to plenty of big fights and is still regarded as a fairly big attraction.

One performance recently which has really surprised me was Cotto's against Mayweather. He lost, of course, but I truly believed that he had next to nothing left beforehand and that there was nothing he could do to offset Floyd, but aside from his victories over Judah and Mosley, I'd never been more impressed with him than that night.

Tarver still being a draw is pretty strange. I read the other day he got close to $2m for the Kayode fight a few weeks ago.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by AZZJ44 Tue 26 Jun 2012 - 13:59

Khan pre Prescott is a good one, i remember watching it in the pub and the owner and a few others put money on a first round stoppage by Prescott due largely to h is ko record and that he'd been dropped by Gomez in the previous fignht.50/1 they had but that pub never had ppv again

AZZJ44

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down