The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mayweather-Pacquiao debate and longevity

+3
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
88Chris05
Sugar Floyd Louis
7 posters

Go down

Mayweather-Pacquiao debate and longevity Empty Mayweather-Pacquiao debate and longevity

Post by Sugar Floyd Louis Tue 26 Jun 2012, 12:47 pm

Afternoon lads... I'm of the opinion that Pac slightly edges Floyd in terms of resume (a debate all in itself which splits many people I know) but strictly in terms of wins (I know the Marquez and Bradley fights may have weakened it but taking into account their best wins only).

However I wanted to discuss how much Pacquiao's legacy may have been affected cause he's showing signs of slowing down and coming out of his peak. Could this be a major factor in future when people look back and compare two of the best of this era?

Floyd doesn't seem to be slowing down and since coming out of retirement for Marquez, has been interesting because he's ditched what we best knew him for and he just stands there and trades with his opponents. Could be that he too is slowing down and doesn't have the legs to run around the ring but at the same time this is making things tougher for him, and could prove costly if he goes on to fight till 40.

But anyways, have recent Pacquiao fights plus the fact that Floyd's older yet his skills are still intact proved beyond doubt that he is the best of this era for you?

There will always be critics and rightly so, had Floyd dealt with Manny in 08 he may have even went down as a top 5 ATG in some people's rankings.

However longevity is a major factor in terms of legacies, and I remember a 24/7 episode whereby Floyd said he still has 5 fights left in him, Manny could well be out of the picture by then and provided they're all good fights and he wins, he would end on 48-0 and go down as the best of this generation.

Thoughts?

Sugar Floyd Louis

Back to top Go down

Mayweather-Pacquiao debate and longevity Empty Re: Mayweather-Pacquiao debate and longevity

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 26 Jun 2012, 12:59 pm

I think longevity should always be considered when evaluating how great a fighter was or is, although as with just about every other factor, just how important a factor it is rests with whoever is ranking the fighters in question. Always a subjective exercise.

But yes, to answer your question, I do think that Floyd's recent triumphs, in contrast with Pacquiao's performances gradually winding down since those glorious displays against Hatton and Cotto, has certainly swung majority opinion in Floyd's favour. A couple of years ago, I think a poll amongst real boxing fans, if asked who deserved to rank higher in the all-time stakes, would have favoured Manny. Now, without question, I feel that Floyd would get the consensus nod, and probably by a bigger margin than Pacquiao ever would have at any given time.

As they say, technicians last in boxing, fighters don't.

That said, regardless of styles, Floyd deserves all the credit he receives in that respect. To still be turning in exemplary performances against top class opposition such as Cotto, a full fourteen years after he first dazzled a quality veteran like Hernandez to defeat for his maiden world title, is truly, truly remarkable.

As good ol' Trussman likes to remind people, timing is key in this sport; however much longer Pacquiao carries on for, I don't think he'll ever quite have that same aura he had three years back, whereas Floyd still seems indomitable, still seems to have that shield of invincibility. Ergo, I can only see Mayweather's strangle-hold on the title of 'best of his generation' strengthening in the next year or two - and that's quite justified, for me.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Mayweather-Pacquiao debate and longevity Empty Re: Mayweather-Pacquiao debate and longevity

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Tue 26 Jun 2012, 1:13 pm

I agree but looking at longertivity is harder than tops looking at how long they have even at the top of tier game.

Mayweather won his first title in 1998
Pacquiao won his in 1998 also

Mayweather may not be as worn as pacquiao but that's because mayweather has had 43 fights in his career and in pretty much the same space as time manny has had 60 fights

For the record I do rate mayweather a little higher but I don't think that the time they are past it will affect their position unless mayweather fights 10 or so more times. Pacquiaos style would also lead you to believe he will fade quicker than floyd will

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by UpandUnder Tue 26 Jun 2012, 1:14 pm

After the Bradley fight im sure all Floyd feels he needs to do is retire undefeated and he will have the better legacy, pac has been tarnished in his last couple of fights and opinion is starting to swing in floyds favour.

Its truly depressing that these two didn't fight when it actually meant something, the fact they didnt IMO puts a black mark on both their legacys.

UpandUnder

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 26 Jun 2012, 1:18 pm

For me it's mayweather in every area. He's the better boxer of the two who beats his opposition any which way he chooses a skill not many have ever had. In terms of record he edges it via fighting a similar standard with no blemishes (should have lost to Castillo first time round) nor has he ever struggled with an opponent like pacquiao has with Marquez. For a fighter of only 43 fights? He's achieved a hell of a lot. Pacquiao is a fabulous fighter but not quite on the same level as mayweather.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by WelshDevilRob Tue 26 Jun 2012, 4:24 pm

In looking at longevity, you would have to look at the breaks Floyd has had.

No fight in 2008 then only 1 fight in 2009, 2010 and 2011.

Pacquiao on the other hand fought 3 times in 2008 and followed that up with 2 fights in 2009, 2010 and 2011.

Both have had 1 fight this year and while both registered good wins last time out in terms of the opposition. (Pacquiao beat Bradley - judges got that wrong) It is evident that they are Slowing down due to age.

If they fight at the end of this year or sometime next year, it will not be the same fight, as it would have been if they originally fought.

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Tue 26 Jun 2012, 4:51 pm

floyd cannot be called the best of his era, at most he can say he was PROBABLY best in his era, he could have made the fight happen and proved it, but not taking that risk takes away his right as denfinitive number 1 at his time (same arguement for manny as well).

you can always have a opinion who was better but now we will never know and that will be the problem with both the legacys, there'll alway be the what if between them.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 26 Jun 2012, 5:49 pm

Think too much gets made of them not fighting when other fighters aren't given the same level of scrutiny.

Mayweather has 25 world level fights with no defeats
Pacquiao has 27 world level fights with 3 defeats in those fights

Pacquiao has fought 60 times but at lot of those fights came before he won a title and also when he was rebuilding after the Singsurat defeat so not a lot of difference between them in the longevity stakes.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Tue 26 Jun 2012, 11:52 pm

but both men have claimed to be p4p number 1 for such a long time. the reason i judge them so harshly is i think the winner of that fight would have become an atg forever remembered.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down