The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

European Tour - Irish Open

+26
Tinmar
George1507
Slowride
Doon the Water
McLaren
4putt
ralphjohn69
Roller_Coaster
golfermartin
TexasWedge
Thomond
Bob_the_Job
dynamark
themightyone
NedB-H
sirbenson
Shotrock
GPB
navyblueshorts
Lairdy
John Cregan
Skydriver
incontinentia
super_realist
kwinigolfer
princedracula
30 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

European Tour - Irish Open - Page 3 Empty European Tour - Irish Open

Post by princedracula Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:10 pm

First topic message reminder :

The much anticipated return of the Irish Open to Northern Ireland and to the Royal Portrush is finally upon us. It was 65 years ago (1947) when the event was staged there last time, with Harry Bradshaw from Delgany, Co. Wicklow, being the winner. The Dunluce Course is widely acknowledged as one of the best links courses in the world (redesigned by Harry Colt in 1929) and as many players have commented in the last couple of days, the course should be in great condition for the event...

Spoiler:
The last couple of years the Open was held on a parkland course in Killarney, a place which has been particularly good to the English golfers who have won each of the four editions organised there in the ‘modern’ era (i.e. since 1975… there was no Irish Open as such between 1953-1975). In contrast, English golfers haven’t been so successful when the event has been organised on a typical links course (Mark James the last winner in 1980 at Portmarnock). With all the great successes of Irish golfers over the past 5 years, there are obviously very high expectations that one of them should win the event this year. Would be great for one of the Portrush boys to get it, of course, but considering DC’s health and form of late, probably the only realistic option in that category remains McDowell. Don’t know what to make of Rory’s chances though, not sure if he is ready to contend again, especially considering that the weather prospects are not very good. You can’t overlook the fact that he holds the course record here (61). He posted on twitter a short clip with the scorecard and some images from that record setting round in 2005 (weather was very good then…) and interestingly enough he added… “Think my course record might be in jeopardy though!”

http://social.rorymcilroy.com/videos/192209

Then there is Padraig Harrington, who often mentions the Royal Portrush as being his favourite course, and with his newly found form he cannot be ruled out by any means… But as much as I would love to see an Irish winner here come Sunday, I also have a feeling that all the added focus and pressure on the local star players, could well influence the proceedings and the outcome by the end of the week…

Rather disappointing in the end to see that quite a few of the top European players are not coming, but having said that, the strength of the field should be close to the highs achieved over the past decade or so…

Spoiler:
For quite a number of years now, John Daly has been the star US attraction at the Irish Open. And he will be here again, but he’s been certainly upstaged this year by Keegan Bradley, who won quite a few fans over here since he announced his intention to play in the event. And fair play to him, he really seems to be very excited to be here, flying over a couple of days ago together with McDowell and taking time to do at least some of the compulsory Co. Antrim sightseeing (Giant’s Causeway, Bushmills Distillery, etc.). Liked one of his tweets about the local weather... You know the weather gets bad here when it's 50 blowing 20 sprinkling and the people keep saying "hope the weather holds out like this all week"
...as well as this picture of him looking rather lost, but happy, in the middle of the famous 'Big Bertha' bunker on the 17th...

Spoiler:
The European Tour has already announced that Friday, Saturday and Sunday are a complete sell out, which we’re told is an unprecedented achievement for a regular ET event. With over 100,000 visitors expected to ‘flood’ the course over the next few days (a limit of 27,000 per day will be imposed), and with some very typical Irish weather forecasted (rain on Thu & Fri and then wind picking up as well on Sat & Sun), this is not going to be just a very tough test of golf, but also a tough test for the organisers who will be extremely keen to show the world (and especially the R&A) that the Royal Portrush is well capable to host a top event like this, and maybe more…

P.S. Unfortunately couldn’t travel to the event this year, but luckily this should be well covered live on National TV channels over here from Thursday to Sunday (especially now that THE famous handshake is out of the way…). With all the Euro footy, Wimbledon and the Euro Athletics on the box as well, should be very little time left for any work this week I’m afraid… Whistle Bring it on!

princedracula

Back to top Go down

European Tour - Irish Open - Page 3 Empty Re: European Tour - Irish Open

Post by Shotrock Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:04 pm

Deleted

Last edited by Shotrock on Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:43 pm

1).Woods clearly now the best golfer in 2012.

2).Comparing Daly's golf and Donald's golf is the sort of crass comment that earns Americans a bad name.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:51 pm

Kwini

Remember that Donald would trade his career for Daly's in an instant. With a clause that he can also trade daly's post 1995 career for having to retire through a painful bear attack injury which involved the consumption of his testicles.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:09 am

Deleted

Last edited by Shotrock on Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:15 am

Shotrock wrote:As Mac said, Donald would trade his career for Daly's in an instant.
Hmmm... I could easily see Daly as a wine dealer (and taster), but somehow I find it difficult to picture Luke spending most of his life surrounded by Hooters babes...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:08 am

The total attendance figures for the Irish Open week: 112,280 !

Apparently it's for the first time in ET history they reach a six figure number...

Quote from O'Grady: “On the basis of those figures alone, it’s inconceivable to think we won’t be back to the North in the not too distant future"

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:08 pm

princedracula wrote:The total attendance figures for the Irish Open week: 112,280 !

Apparently it's for the first time in ET history they reach a six figure number...

Quote from O'Grady: “On the basis of those figures alone, it’s inconceivable to think we won’t be back to the North in the not too distant future"

Ha ha. I remember discussing the possibility of having the British Open at Portrush on this forum around a year ago. The amount of horse turd that came up at the time including Portrush cant handle big numbers, the infrastructure isnt there. Most of this garbage came from punters that seemed to be motivated by jealousy who had never even been there.

Thankfully the Irish Open has proved that not only is the course first class but there is no real infrastructure nor capacity reason why the British Open should be held there. Apart from some of the great Scottish links courses I dont think there is a better course in B&I.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:39 pm

Slowride wrote:Can't understand the fuss made about Portrush - looked very dull to me and far to easy for a major event. The yanks wouldn't stand for an open on a course where the winning score was as low as this week - why should we?

It's a links course sometimes with a favourable wind as per day one and day two it can play easy. Should st Andrews be dropped because Oosthuizen shot a -16 in 2010. Probably not.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:11 pm

leinsterbaby wrote:
Slowride wrote:Can't understand the fuss made about Portrush - looked very dull to me and far to easy for a major event. The yanks wouldn't stand for an open on a course where the winning score was as low as this week - why should we?

It's a links course sometimes with a favourable wind as per day one and day two it can play easy. Should st Andrews be dropped because Oosthuizen shot a -16 in 2010. Probably not.

Absolutely it should, routinely it produces some of the lowest scoring and least eventful Open's on record.

It's a rubbish spectator venue and the course is boring as you'll find on an Open rota.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:22 pm

super_realist wrote:
leinsterbaby wrote:

Absolutely it should, routinely it produces some of the lowest scoring and least eventful Open's on record.

It's a rubbish spectator venue and the course is boring as you'll find on an Open rota.

you could probably find an excuse for dropping every course in that case. St Andrews is an iconic course synomous with the British Open. Plus as with some others I really dont see the problem with high scoring. Its the same for everyone so dont understanmd the fuss. In any case if it is so bad yet it has hosted the Open so many times then surely Portrush should merit another shot. Seriously the excuses are running out.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:28 pm

St.Andrews produces no drama at all unless the wind blows or a person makes an unforced error. The 5 most recent tournaments have been wretched there

The course is far far too easy, too boring and uneventful and holding it once every five years is far to frequent.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:57 pm

GunsGerms wrote:Ha ha. I remember discussing the possibility of having the British Open at Portrush on this forum around a year ago. The amount of horse turd that came up at the time including Portrush cant handle big numbers, the infrastructure isnt there. Most of this garbage came from punters that seemed to be motivated by jealousy who had never even been there.

Thankfully the Irish Open has proved that not only is the course first class but there is no real infrastructure nor capacity reason why the British Open should be held there. Apart from some of the great Scottish links courses I dont think there is a better course in B&I.
picard
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:16 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:Ha ha. I remember discussing the possibility of having the British Open at Portrush on this forum around a year ago. The amount of horse turd that came up at the time including Portrush cant handle big numbers, the infrastructure isnt there. Most of this garbage came from punters that seemed to be motivated by jealousy who had never even been there.

picard

picard

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:20 pm

Why are the irish so sensitive about everything?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:25 pm

I don't see why Portrush couldn't host it. If it can hold 100,000+ it should be alright would you be looking at much more for the British Open? It's a very nice course too.

Last edited by Thomond on Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:36 pm

No reason why not Thomond. Should happen in the next 5 years I'd say.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:38 pm

McLaren wrote:Why are the irish so sensitive about everything?

Yet, if I have a gentle dig at the Irish, you go running to the mods to tell on me.
Unbelievable Mac.

Have to agree they are over-sensitive though. Like Scousers, they can't take a bit of criticism and cannot laugh at themselves.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:02 pm

Anyone want to talk about golf?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:17 pm

Anyone want to talk about golf?

Not when there's some paddy bashing to be had.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:19 pm

Don't you think you are embarrassing your self a little now or are you being sarcastic?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:21 pm

Scots are just wanna be Paddies

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:22 pm

Except we've got potatoes over here.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:23 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:

picard

picard

picard

Who's next!!

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:28 pm

Sometimes when the irish/scottish tourist board adverts come on you are not sure what country they are advertising if the tv is on mute. Until the logo comes up of course.

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:29 pm

McLaren wrote:Sometimes when the irish/scottish tourist board adverts come on you are not sure what country they are advertising if the tv is on mute. Until the logo comes up of course.

And even then if you are Irish its still confusing..... Run

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:30 pm

Diggers wrote:
McLaren wrote:Sometimes when the irish/scottish tourist board adverts come on you are not sure what country they are advertising if the tv is on mute. Until the logo comes up of course.

And even then if you are Irish its still confusing..... Run

Laugh Yahoo

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:35 pm

didnt Freud say that the irish are the only people that are impervious to psychoanalysis? I wonder why that is
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:38 pm

incontinentia wrote:didnt Freud say that the irish are the only people that are impervious to psychoanalysis? I wonder why that is

You just have to look at Padraig to see why Incontinent.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:42 pm

He has more majors than any of us will have but he tinkered far too much admittedly.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:46 pm

Thomond wrote:He has more majors than any of us will have but he tinkered far too much admittedly.

Paddy a tinker ? Makes sense really. As you say though he does have his tree majors.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:47 pm

Did Paddy not say once:

Ehhhhhhh, o'ive got to focus on me focus.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:01 pm

I reckon Harrington has at least one more major victory to come. He seems to to getting back to the top of his game right now. Good each way bet for the British open in Lytham. will be interesting to see if Donaldson can mount a challenge too.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:03 pm

Padraig, after a double bogey on 18 on Day 2 of the Carnoustie Open that he won stated that "it makes no difference to my position whether i had a 4 or a 6"...........or something to that effect.............

Now, given that the winner of a golf tournament is determined by the number of shots taken, this, on the face of it is a ridiculous comment.........however, no one puts bad holes behind them quite like Padraig, so in this instance, given that he went on to win the tournament (and, of course, he came back quite well from 2 balls in the water at 18 on Day 4)...............so, you have to say that sports psycologist Bob Rotella must have worked wonders with Harri.....................

What is this Freud fella on about??

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:09 pm

Has Paddy now ditched Dr Rotella in favour of Dave Aldred?

I heard he was working with the latter, which left me wondering whether Dr Bob had lost an illustrious client (in the same way as another Bob [Torrance]). Or maybe Padraig just wants to learn how to kick a funny shaped ball between two upright posts to add to his repertoire.

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:11 pm

Yes he did. Aldred worked with Luke Donald first didn't he? Something seems to be working.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:15 pm

I cant think of too many players id prefer to see win another major than Paddy. He seems like a very nice, if slightly eccentric, bloke. I suspect fame and fortune have not changed him one iota, he'd be bonkers anyway.
I cant see it happening but to be honest who can predict anyone to win a major with any degree of certainty these days, they are all wide open.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:19 pm

They certainly are. The amount of first time major winners in the last few years is crazy. Indeed Harrington is the last multiple major winner isn't he? Seems a long time ago now.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:20 pm

The only thing you can predict with any degree of certainty is that the winner wont be English. Crying or Very sad

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:27 pm

Diggers wrote:The only thing you can predict with any degree of certainty is that the winner wont be English. Crying or Very sad
Laugh I suspect you might be right there....
Happily have Podge as a surrogate though. As you say, seems ridiculously nice and being as mad as a bag of ferrets kind of adds to his appeal I reckon.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:28 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
Diggers wrote:The only thing you can predict with any degree of certainty is that the winner wont be English. Crying or Very sad
Happily have Podge as a surrogate though. As you say, seems ridiculously nice and being as mad as a bag of ferrets kind of adds to his appeal I reckon.

Well you already claim U2.......

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:29 pm

U2??? You must be joking! You can certainly have Bono back!
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:29 pm

Thomond wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:

Well you already claim U2.......

Ireland's worst export, in fact you can keep irish music. Westlife, Boyzone, Jedward etc. Garbage.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:31 pm

They were very good at one stage, average enough know. I don't think anyone cares for Bono. Ah sure he's a Dub anyway, Cork is where true genius comes from. Rory Gallagher is one of our own, if he didn't come to Cork he wouldn't have been successful.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:36 pm

super_realist wrote:Ireland's worst export, in fact you can keep irish music. Westlife, Boyzone, Jedward etc. Garbage.
Garbage aren't an Irish band
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:39 pm

Sorry

Westlife are an embarrassment.............

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:43 pm

When U2 first broke they were OK and then Bono disappeared up his own nether regions and that was that. Rory Gallagher could play a bit though...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:52 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:

Given the success English golfers have had at the Irish open surely they would like to see it in Portrush. Plus the winner of the last B Open in portrush was English.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:57 pm

What about Van the man, who doesn't like at least some of his songs. There are enough of them to make it a statistical certiantly.

Although, actually I do listen to him quite a bit, maybe less so of late. Might whack him on when I get home.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:59 pm

I suspect Portrush would be a great venue. Sounds like everything went pretty well the last week so why not?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:01 pm

Quick like some Van Morrison myself. Supposed to be a bit of a sod to work with...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next