The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

White Collar Boxing

+8
iade360
OasisBFC
Valero's Conscience
Rossi
KingMonkey
Baggs33
davidemore
aja424
12 posters

Go down

White Collar Boxing Empty White Collar Boxing

Post by aja424 Wed 27 Jun 2012, 1:47 pm

Just wondered if anyone on here has been to or taken part in a White Collar Boxing event.
Seen a few posters around the gym and the odd article in the local paper, just wondered what everyones opinion on this type of thing?

aja424

Back to top Go down

White Collar Boxing Empty Re: White Collar Boxing

Post by davidemore Wed 27 Jun 2012, 1:49 pm

Tell me more about this? I don't know much.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Wed 27 Jun 2012, 1:55 pm

It started of in New York in the 90's, arranged by two 'White Collar' workers, can't remember exacly what their occupation were. Anyway they had no prior boxing experience and were in their Thirties, wanted to fight but couldn't get it sanctioned by anybody.
To stay in line with the law they invented and named their brand 'White Collar Boxing'.
It has basically taken off in the states and has made its way over here, looks like its for grown ups who should know better but want to have a go whilst still being fit enough to do so.
Looking on the net there looks like a fair amount of well organised shows taking place, mainly around the bigger cities.

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by Baggs33 Wed 27 Jun 2012, 1:58 pm

Never been personally but heard they can be a little "primitive". Not much technique, skill etc on show.

Might be wrong though? As said, never been, just what I heard from a couple of people.

Baggs33

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Wed 27 Jun 2012, 2:02 pm

Yeah thats I would of probably expected.
Last time I heard the word "primitive" was when Tyson was referring to his challengers after the first Bruno fight.
"How dare these guys fight me with their somewhat primitive skills,their as good as dead".
Classic

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by Baggs33 Wed 27 Jun 2012, 2:11 pm

I just had an image of turning up to fight in a White Collar Boxing event, it's a Friday night, you've had a tough day in the office and just feel like letting off some steam......you look up from your corner to see what bum you're fighting this week and there he is.....bloody Mike Tyson.

Swing away boy....swing away.

Baggs33

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Wed 27 Jun 2012, 2:43 pm

I trained in a gym full of white collar fighters but I've never taken part in an event. Been to a couple though. In a nutshell all training goes out of the window and two blokes windmill at eachother for three rounds before its declared a draw. Probably a great thing to take part in for the sake of having done it but that's about it. don't go looking for skills, speed or technique unless I'm fighting, because I haven't fought I still think I have it.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Rossi Wed 27 Jun 2012, 2:49 pm

I box 3 times a week - twice doing pad work, bags and speed ball, one evening of sparring.

The guys I spar with are of different levels - relative beginners up to one guy who is aiming to win the ABAs at his weight next time around.

I have never participated but I have seen white collar boxing before, and watched guys fighting that I regularly spar with.

These guys are generally pretty proficient with decent technique/footwork - but I have seen that go out of the window when they are in a white collar fight: the difference being that, compared to sparring, the punches are thrown with much more intent, and there is much more holding and pushing which is physically draining.

Really, it just illustrates how good even journey pros actually are, because they maintain their technique even in the face of onslaught and exhaustion.

Rossi

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Wed 27 Jun 2012, 2:56 pm

I have a mate whos taking part so will probably going along anyway. Just hope he's not being overmatched with a hard as nails good ticket seller.

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed 27 Jun 2012, 3:00 pm

Rossi wrote:These guys are generally pretty proficient with decent technique/footwork - but I have seen that go out of the window when they are in a white collar fight: the difference being that, compared to sparring, the punches are thrown with much more intent, and there is much more holding and pushing which is physically draining.

Really, it just illustrates how good even journey pros actually are, because they maintain their technique even in the face of onslaught and exhaustion.

I've been to some as well and that pretty much sums it up.

There have been about 18 fights in each of the events i've been to and I would say in all 36 bouts, only 7-8 have shown a good level of skill and the rest are pretty dreadful.

People's game plans go out of the window when it starts and they just brawl which isn't pretty for the most part.

You get robberies in this level too though ha ha! The promoter who does these events in the Gravesend/Maidstone area is a joke and promotes himself as 'unbeaten' but only in his own events where he matches himself against pure novices to fuel his ego and look good in front of his mates. He's lost other matches which he keeps quiet - he's pathetic!

Also stamina is another thing people don't appreciate, these events were between 3-5, 2 minute rounds and most were gassed after the first round!

There are some diamonds in the rough, but it's mostly rough!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Wed 27 Jun 2012, 3:01 pm

Not to mention the adrenaline. You get hit and you want to hit him back!! Ergo hundreds of looping punches are thrown in succession. Fair play to any white collar fighter who tries to fight behind his jab but it won't last long.

Totally agree re the talent of even the journeymen. I got in the ring a couple of times with Darren Hamilton (now British LW Champ) with the idea that I had to try and hit him but rarely got close. Any time I did lay a glove on him a sharp counter came back that I never saw coming. At any given moment he could have flattened me.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Wed 27 Jun 2012, 6:06 pm

there is an event coming up in manchester soon and they're looking for fighters.

i'm actually half tempted, just to say ive done it. you do have to train pretty hard though, and you'll still gas after a round.

but i agree withe above, these guys are properly trained in the run up to the fight, but inside the ring they're fighting as if in a school yard.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Wed 27 Jun 2012, 6:08 pm

although im 6'3 and 220lbs and not in the worst nick due to running and weigh lifting most days i would not like the prospect of going against a heavyweight.

and i'd run out of steam pretty soon no doubt. its a completely different type of fitness.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by iade360 Wed 27 Jun 2012, 7:29 pm

OasisBFC wrote:there is an event coming up in manchester soon and they're looking for fighters.

i'm actually half tempted, just to say ive done it. you do have to train pretty hard though, and you'll still gas after a round.

but i agree withe above, these guys are properly trained in the run up to the fight, but inside the ring they're fighting as if in a school yard.

That's the reason I did it Oasis, just to tick the box. I would wholeheartedly recommend giving it a go if you have the time and energy to commit to it. WCB has been my best sporting experience by far, as pathetic as that sounds. Walking through the crowd, with your entrance song playing, all your mates shouting their heads off and cheering your name was a fantastic feeling. They were all in the front row and they went ballistic when I won. I've never seen them so supportive and congratulatory. Normally they just take the urine.

Despite training 3 times a week for 9 months with loads of sparring, as everybody else has already commented, on the night it wasn't pretty to watch. Everything went out the window as soon as the bell rang, and it's not much of a sporting achievement but it's still the trophy I'm most proud of... and it's something all my mates admitted they don't have the balls to do which makes it extra special.

iade360

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Wed 27 Jun 2012, 8:21 pm

iade360 wrote:
OasisBFC wrote:there is an event coming up in manchester soon and they're looking for fighters.

That's the reason I did it Oasis, just to tick the box. I would wholeheartedly recommend giving it a go if you have the time and energy to commit to it. WCB has been my best sporting experience by far, as pathetic as that sounds. Walking through the crowd, with your entrance song playing, all your mates shouting their heads off and cheering your name was a fantastic feeling. They were all in the front row and they went ballistic when I won. I've never seen them so supportive and congratulatory. Normally they just take the urine.

Despite training 3 times a week for 9 months with loads of sparring, as everybody else has already commented, on the night it wasn't pretty to watch. Everything went out the window as soon as the bell rang, and it's not much of a sporting achievement but it's still the trophy I'm most proud of... and it's something all my mates admitted they don't have the balls to do which makes it extra special.

you have my absolute respect.
i work strange hours and drive an hour after work to get home so i'm not sure if i could commit to such a thing. (yeah, like thats the reason i wouldnt do it...) would be great though, win or lose.

in fact im gonna google it now to find out more. the fact of them matching you up with someone you don't know does put me off a little!

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Mon 13 Aug 2012, 10:45 am

Fresh from the experience last night.
Tried to box but ultimately couldnt get past my taller opponents jab so started swinging, to good effect but not good enough to get the decision.

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Tue 14 Aug 2012, 10:10 pm

aja424 wrote:Fresh from the experience last night.
Tried to box but ultimately couldnt get past my taller opponents jab so started swinging, to good effect but not good enough to get the decision.

big respect mate. you enjoy yourself??

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Wed 15 Aug 2012, 10:41 pm

Went to an event at the weekend (to watch). Gym mate of mine won but the quality of the fighters was poor. These places do generate good atmospheres though.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Wed 15 Aug 2012, 10:53 pm

Fair play mate!

I did it once last year for fundraising and any training I did went out the window and just started swinging as soon as I get in. Never felt a buzz like it but unfortunately got beat. Would love to have another go!

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Fri 17 Aug 2012, 1:47 pm

Yeah absolutely loved it.
Very true about gameplans and technique going out of the window, am thinking about having another go in December and looking more of the part, so to speak.
The match making was bang on as nobody got completely humiliated which made for competitive bouts.
My missis has a recording of it on her facebook but I have no idea how to put it on here, will perhaps try at a later date.
If anyone here is from the Derby or Leicester area and would like a go then look up 'Ultra White Collar Boxing' and get in touch.

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Fri 17 Aug 2012, 7:48 pm

How about your Misses accepts all of our friend requests.... Only to watch the video ofcourse!!
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sun 19 Aug 2012, 10:53 am

I started fighting as a Thai Boxer about 5 years ago, all my fights have been under full contact rules no headguard or shinnies but always wanted to see how I'd get on with just my boxing. At 34 now I've left it too late so wondered whether I'd be able to go for a white collar fight or two while I'm still in good knick? Just to add to the thread got utter respect for anyone who steps between the ropes and people may malign the quality of WCB fights but I've seen some very scrappy affairs from matched novices in a range of combat sports, it's just the nature of it til people learn to deal with the adrenaline and execute what they need to do.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down