The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should they have closed the roof?

+9
CaledonianCraig
CAS
Josiah Maiestas
Danny_1982
Seifer Almasy
bogbrush
laverfan
luciusmann
newballs
13 posters

Go down

Should they have closed the roof? Empty Should they have closed the roof?

Post by newballs Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:47 pm

Surprised this isn't up for discussion. It wasn't raining and probably didn't help Nadal (surely they'd have asked him OK or not first since they seem to be playing by his rules the rest of the time).

Seriously though the roof was designed for unfavourable weather conditions and not for the onset of night-time or solar eclipses and the kind. What reason are they going to come up with next for closing it?

newballs

Back to top Go down

Should they have closed the roof? Empty Re: Should they have closed the roof?

Post by luciusmann Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:51 pm

Yes, they had to close the roof. It's silly to stop the match mid way through a set because of bad light. The right moment is between sets rather than mid way through the set. Naturally it won't please everyone but players are used to interruptions in matches for various reasons, they're professionals after all!

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:54 pm

NB.. was there not a rain delay at FO 2012 final? chin

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:56 pm

It had to close, the match would never have finished otherwise.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:58 pm

It should have favoured Nadal not Rosol.

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:00 pm

yes but when they first put it over the court they waited until it was needed due to imminent rain (from memory) and didn't close it just to finish off matches when it was getting dark.

According to Henman on the BBC after the match there's no plan for night sessions so shouldn't play naturally stop when the light goes unless the roof is already closed due to rain/wind/thunder & lightning..etc?

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by Seifer Almasy Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:06 pm

No play shouldn't stop. Nadal is out. Deal with it.

Seifer Almasy

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:20 pm

It's an interesting one, and created an very dramatic finale that was very good for the sport of tennis. I'm all for it, closing the roof to ensure the schedule is maintained.

It did stop Rafa's momentum admittedly, but then the FO final delay stopped Novak's momentum, so swings and roundabouts.

One thing I have to add, I was a little disappointed in some of Nadal's delaying tactics when receiving... But having said that I thought he was wonderfully humble after the match. He warmly congratulated the opponent, picked up his racquet for him and signed plenty of autographs too.

There are many Nadal haters around so I might not be popular for saying this, but I thought the way he conducted himself directly after the match was a touch of class.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:26 pm

After the match maybe danny, during the match he barged into Rosol at change of ends, constantly moaned to umpire, not what most of us like to see.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:33 pm

Danny_1982 wrote:It's an interesting one, and created an very dramatic finale that was very good for the sport of tennis. I'm all for it, closing the roof to ensure the schedule is maintained.

It did stop Rafa's momentum admittedly, but then the FO final delay stopped Novak's momentum, so swings and roundabouts.

One thing I have to add, I was a little disappointed in some of Nadal's delaying tactics when receiving... But having said that I thought he was wonderfully humble after the match. He warmly congratulated the opponent, picked up his racquet for him and signed plenty of autographs too.

There are many Nadal haters around so I might not be popular for saying this, but I thought the way he conducted himself directly after the match was a touch of class.

I agree. His conduct post match was great and worthy of praise.

During the match is another matter but it's not like many of us don't know about it already so there's no need to go on endlessly about it. Besides, such tactics didn't work in any case. Anyway, Nadal was gracious in defeat. I'll be interested to know what he says in his post match interview.

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:35 pm

JM - very true. Show me a good loser though and I'll show you a loser. There are lots if examples, Feds swear-athon against JMDP in New York, Novak destroying his chair in Paris... These players get upset when losing.

He still reacted well to his defeat, and if he's going to get criticised for the things he does wrong he should also be complimented for the things he does with a touch of class.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Seifer Almasy Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:55 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:After the match maybe danny, during the match he barged into Rosol at change of ends, constantly moaned to umpire, not what most of us like to see.

The excuses and blind eyes here are painful. Nadal is a blatant cheat.

Seifer Almasy

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:11 pm

There is one thing reacting badly Danny, a very different thing to what Nadal does. He manipulates to put the other player under scrutiny and pressure. We just like to see the same respect given to both players, Nadal wasn't respecting Rosol at all, he uses underhand tactics.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:31 pm

Seifer Almasy wrote:No play shouldn't stop. Nadal is out. Deal with it.

NBs discussion point is roof-closing, not whether it impacted Nadal - positively or negatively. Wink

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:33 pm

NB... also remember, there were quite a few 'cancellations' yesterday.

Main Draw...

Day 1 - 6 Suspensions, 0 Cancellations - http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/scores/schedule/schedule8.html
Day 2 - 13 Suspensions, 6 Cancellations - http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/scores/schedule/schedule9.html
Day 3 - 6 Suspensions, 16 Cancellations - http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/scores/schedule/schedule10.html
Day 4 - 2 Suspensions, 0 Cancellations - http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/scores/schedule/schedule11.html

There was a driver to try and complete matches, especially on the Center Court.

Scheduling of the Center court for broadcasters is also a factor.

Also, if Nadal's match was postponed for tomorrow, or worse still, moved to a different court, there would have been further controversy, moving Nadal's match elsewhere.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by CAS Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:27 pm

Nadal does use tactics in big moments, I remember him stalling a lot when Federer had match point at Indian Wells, however I think it could be the football culture in his family, that is a standard move in a football match and no one bats an eye lid.

Watch Goalkeepers in a penalty shootout, they will do everything they can to put the player off but nothing is said. Its probably because Tennis is considered a gentleman's sport, theres no friends on the football pitch, fair play is much more prominent in tennis. Nadal may feel like its fair game, I dont like it but I think it makes Rosols win even more impressive because Nadal threw everything at him and he didn't blink.

CAS

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:46 am

On the roof closing - I don't see the problem with it. I do believe the schedule is slightly behind following a couple of lengthy rain delays this year. Besides I am sure both players would very much have preferred to finish the match last night as it saves them having a restless night worrying about coming back for a final set today and doesn't help their schedule at all. For what it is worth I do not see how it would/should have affected any player in any great way and Nadal's experience should have been a help to him.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:57 am

By closing the roof yesterday have they set some sort of precedent? From now on will all matches scheduled on centre court always be completed? If not what are the rules for closing the roof because of lack of light rather than rain? They should be clarified.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:00 am

I'd guess the decision was made as they are actually behind schedule and that is what the roof is there to aid as many matches get finished and reduce schedule disruption. I didn't see the part when the players were told but were any of them miffed about it? I'd guess not and is all that should really matter.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:04 am

The roof thing is a big excuse just like the rain delays against Djokovic when he lost 8 games in a row. There is this mentality that whenever an opponent beats up on a fedal member that there is some extenuating circumstance that aided said opponent. It comes from an illogical hero worship of federer and nadal. Sometimes the guy they are playing is just better than them. This was the case today with Nadal. His opponent Rosol just played the best 3 hours of tennis in his life, and as odd as it sounds a guy ranked 150 or 100 if he plays his best tennis ever can stomp on the world number one that is the nature of tennis.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:28 am

Socal - to be fair, ALL of the big 4 have extenuating circumstances when they lose, according to their fans anyway. You've done it with Novak, I've done it with Murray. It's a natural reaction when you support a particular player.

Last night was not unfair to any player. It just so happened to disrupt Rafa's momentum. But as I mentioned earlier it worked for him at the FO final so he has to take the rough with the smooth. If Rosol was the player with the momentum then these boards would be alight with how Nadal runs tennis and has an unfair advantage.

The referee cared about finishing the match, and not not care who was in the driving seat at the time of the delay. Rafa lost fair and square to a player who reached a level he'll probably never reach again. It's not great for Rafa, but it's wonderful for tennis.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:32 am

socal1976 wrote:The roof thing is a big excuse just like the rain delays against Djokovic when he lost 8 games in a row. There is this mentality that whenever an opponent beats up on a fedal member that there is some extenuating circumstance that aided said opponent. It comes from an illogical hero worship of federer and nadal. Sometimes the guy they are playing is just better than them. This was the case today with Nadal. His opponent Rosol just played the best 3 hours of tennis in his life, and as odd as it sounds a guy ranked 150 or 100 if he plays his best tennis ever can stomp on the world number one that is the nature of tennis.
No it's not. Which Nadal fan has come out and said the victory was about the roof Headscratch It was because Rosol was playing simply ridiculous tennis.

And I was on Centre Court, I watched the match. At the time they decided to put the roof on the lighting was fine and there was still play on Court 1. However they knew that inevitably the light would fade so they might as well put the roof on anyway. So it was the fair decision either way, irrelevant of whether it broke Nadal's momentum or not. As Nadal said in the interview 'This is sport.'

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:33 am

Anything which contributes to Nadal being knocked out is fine by me.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:34 am

super_realist wrote:Anything which contributes to Nadal being knocked out is fine by me.
Golf fans suddenly posting on the tennis forum after Nadal has lost to rub it in Headscratch

A bit like on the original 606 tard football fans suddenly taking an interest in tennis after Murray lost AO2011 final.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:36 am

I've always been interested in Tennis, just don't post on it much (unless it's having a go at Kvitova's beer belly)

THe ghastly Nadal was put out fair and square last night and it was great to see.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Seifer Almasy Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:47 am

It Must Be Love wrote:
super_realist wrote:Anything which contributes to Nadal being knocked out is fine by me.
Golf fans suddenly posting on the tennis forum after Nadal has lost to rub it in Headscratch

A bit like on the original 606 tard football fans suddenly taking an interest in tennis after Murray lost AO2011 final.

Goes to show you how hated Nadal is due to his "tactics" Yahoo

Seifer Almasy

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:48 am

Or maybe you're just a WUM....? Headscratch

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:03 am

It Must Be Love wrote:Or maybe you're just a WUM....? Headscratch
He is actually right this time though.

http://amplicate.com/hate/rafael-nadal
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down