The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Karlovic Questions Wimbledon Integrity After Loss To Murray

+13
invisiblecoolers
Josiah Maiestas
djlovesyou
lydian
User 774433
reckoner
JuliusHMarx
Seifer Almasy
super_realist
CaledonianCraig
Calder106
socal1976
hawkeye
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Karlovic Questions Wimbledon Integrity After Loss To Murray Empty Karlovic Questions Wimbledon Integrity After Loss To Murray

Post by hawkeye Fri 29 Jun 2012, 6:04 am

Ivo Karlovic accused officials of cheating him of a victory against home hope Andy Murray yesterday.

Croat giant Karlovic was called for 11 foot faults in his 7-5, 6-7 (5/7), 6-2, 7-6 (7/4) loss and accused All England Club line judges of deliberately attempting to ease the British player's path through the tournament.

“I feel cheated. On a Grand Slam, Centre Court,” said 33-year-old Karlovic.

“It was outrageous. It's Wimbledon and they do this. This is cowpat.

“In my whole life, ever since I was eight years old, I didn't do this many foot faults. It was like 11.

“The whole credibility of this tournament went down for me. I'm angry about it, a little bit peed, (Karlovic used another word here but 606v2 filters must have thought it too strong) because I don't expect it here. Even though it is against an English guy who they always want to win.”

http://www.iol.co.za/sport/tennis/wimbledon-hit-by-sexism-cheating-storm-1.1330376#.T-0zV5G8hWo

This story has wide coverage including the BBC website

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/18636457

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Karlovic Questions Wimbledon Integrity After Loss To Murray Empty Re: Karlovic Questions Wimbledon Integrity After Loss To Murray

Post by socal1976 Fri 29 Jun 2012, 6:11 am

Well I wouldn't put it past them, you know my opinion of the grandslam draw committees and their coincidentally "lucky"? draws.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Karlovic Questions Wimbledon Integrity After Loss To Murray Empty Re: Karlovic Questions Wimbledon Integrity After Loss To Murray

Post by Calder106 Fri 29 Jun 2012, 6:19 am

Is this the same Hawkeye who was so vehement back in November about the officials being respected ?

Karlovic has a cheek. Imagine calling Murray English. Smile

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri 29 Jun 2012, 6:20 am

Oh right so if it was a ploy by Wimbledon to get Murray through then just a silly question why? And no not an effort to help the 'home boy' otherwise why not just give him a cakewalk draw instead of giving him the toughest quarter? Sorry but this is a non-story. Why not give us one of the many stories kicking around about Rafa please hawkeye? Jeez there will be enough of them this morning?
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Fri 29 Jun 2012, 6:39 am

CaledonianCraig

A top player accusing the All England Club of cheating is not a "non-story". It maybe a story that you don't wish was being told or the All England Club officials might like to tell the story in a different way to Karlovic but that's very different to it being a non story.

Also it has nothing to do with Rafa?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri 29 Jun 2012, 6:55 am

Rafa is your favourite player so why not discuss him was the general point but realise that may be very hard for you to do today.

And yes sorry it is a non-story in terms of how much truth there is behind Karlovic's suspicions. The extremely tough draw Andy got negates any chance of Wimbledon doing anything they can to help Andy. If Wimbledon were that way inclined would they not have made sure he even avoided Karlovic and the deadly bombs he serves? Of course they would of. This is just a case of a player finding defeat hard to take and how I'd take Rafa's comments regarding Rosol ie that his movement on Nadal's serve was bugging him etc. Players on losing always look for reasons for a loss and this is just another reason. After all did we say Davy getting called for foot faults or for that matter any other player Andy has ever played at Wimbledon? Of course not. Take off the anti-glasses and at least have the decency to admit that.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Fri 29 Jun 2012, 7:14 am

CaledonianCraig

So are you saying that Karlovic was wrong? If you are it still isn't a "non story" as I can't remember a player accusing the All England Club of cheating before.

As far as I know Davydenko, Nadal or Rosol didn't get foot faulted or accuse the All England Club of cheating so I don't understand the relevance to the topic.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri 29 Jun 2012, 7:21 am

Yes a non-story if you will as in there is absolutely no substance in it. Why?

A. What was their to achieve from it? Not to get the home boy through as they aren't overly concerned about that as we can see by the tough draw he got.

B. Is this an incident we have seen in previous Murray matches of subterfuge to get him through at Wimbledon? No of course not and Murray has been coming to Wimbledon now for six or seven years. Come back with more 'suspicious' goings on to get Murray through in matches at Wimbledon in all that time and we can talk again. Until then this is just a beaten player looking for reasons/excuses to explain away a defeat.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 29 Jun 2012, 7:24 am

Karlovic was just being a bad loser.

Loved Nadal going out though Yahoo

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Seifer Almasy Fri 29 Jun 2012, 7:25 am

hawkeye wrote:CaledonianCraig

So are you saying that Karlovic was wrong? If you are it still isn't a "non story" as I can't remember a player accusing the All England Club of cheating before.

As far as I know Davydenko, Nadal or Rosol didn't get foot faulted or accuse the All England Club of cheating so I don't understand the relevance to the topic.

It is only a non story if it is not true. And if he is questioning it, he should be answered. Sadly, I sense Murray loving bias here.

Seifer Almasy

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 29 Jun 2012, 7:27 am

Karlovic's feet are probably about three feet long, if anyone is going to foot fault it's going to be him, besides, as his eye is on the ball, how does he know he didn't foot fault 11 times?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Fri 29 Jun 2012, 7:50 am

Couple of things to consider here.

Karlovic lost the first set because he double faulted on set point (not a foot fault). The line judge called his second serve in, Murray challenged, Hawkeye showed ball clearly out. Therefore no line judge bias there.

In the final tie break Karlovic double faulted again to give Murray the chance to serve out the match. Again it was not a foot fault that caused this double fault.

As for the match. In four sets Karlovic only had one break point against the Murray serve. That was in the first game of the match and he took it. So to say he would definitely have won if he had not been foot faulted is stretching it a bit.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 29 Jun 2012, 8:06 am

hawkeye wrote:CaledonianCraig

Like Henman said

Can Karlovic actually see his feet when serving?

If so he is the most intelligent player on tour.

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Fri 29 Jun 2012, 3:42 pm

I know here everyones favourite topic of conversation is their new found love for Lucas Rosal....

But the big tennis news almost everywhere else is Ivo Karlovic accusing Wimbledon officials of cheating in order to favour home favourite Andy Murray.

All the British papers appear to be covering it. The Independent, The Telegraph, The Mail, The Guardian and lots of smaller ones. The BBC, Eurosport, etc. Loads of foreign coverage. The list goes on and on...

https://news.google.co.uk/news/story?q=karlovic&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=Ayx&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvnsu&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1280&bih=642&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ncl=dfAm4M3grVeLp8MbT_-tDixoygIEM&sa=X&ei=RLrtT8fmO6Gr0QXQj5WQDg&ved=0CC0QqgIwAA

Karlovic had this to say on twitter.

Anyone who knows me can confirm that I'm not a sore looser. But this is too much. 10 foot faults? Cmon. I never do foot faults.

https://twitter.com/ivokarlovic/

I would imagine that we would have heard from a Wimbledon source to refute these claims. Wimbledon can't want it's reputation tarnished across all media? But so far nothing. Karlovic's claims should be investigated. If he is wrong great. I can't even begin to imagine that he could be correct.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 29 Jun 2012, 3:45 pm

Wimbledon have said that if Karlovic makes a formal complaint they will conduct an investigation. I'm fairly sure they don't consider a tweet as a formal complaint.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Fri 29 Jun 2012, 3:49 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:Wimbledon have said that if Karlovic makes a formal complaint they will conduct an investigation. I'm fairly sure they don't consider a tweet as a formal complaint.

Tell that to Paul Chambers...

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 29 Jun 2012, 3:56 pm

I still felt he should've tried the Serena way of addressing foot faults Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Fri 29 Jun 2012, 5:29 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:Wimbledon have said that if Karlovic makes a formal complaint they will conduct an investigation. I'm fairly sure they don't consider a tweet as a formal complaint.

Where did you see that? Just had a look at the Wimbledon site and found Karlovic's post match interview. I think he made his views more than clear to everyone who was present. No one had to dig up his twitter account to find his complaint.

Q. What do you feel made the difference?

IVO KARLOVIC: Foot‑faults. I don't know what to say, but it was a
little bit outrageous. In my whole life, ever since I was eight years
old, whole life I didn't do this many foot‑fault. It was like 11.

It was never called when it was like 30‑Love or 40‑Love. It was
always when it was 30‑All or in a tiebreak. I mean, what is this? Is it
Davis Cup or is it Wimbledon?

After this match, the whole credibility of this tournament went down for me.

Q. Do you feel the fact you're playing the home favorite was a factor in the decision?

IVO KARLOVIC: Definitely, because it was 11 or I don't know how many. But I don't do them, foot‑faults.

And, I don't know, like always usually the linesmen, they always (indiscernible). I don't know, in this match they didn't.

Q. You had a discussion with the umpire during the tiebreak. What did you say?

IVO KARLOVIC: No, then like after I don't know how many, I stand a
little bit back so they cannot call. They still did it, called. So it
was outrageous, outrageous. It's Wimbledon, Centre Court, and they do
this. I mean, this is BS.

Q. You're clearly upset about it. Do you think you would have won without the foot‑faults?

IVO KARLOVIC: You do the calculation. If these 10 points, I win? Who would have win? I don't know. You do the math.
Q. You're clearly upset about it. Do you think you would have won without the foot‑faults?

IVO KARLOVIC: You do the calculation. If these 10 points, I win? Who would have win? I don't know. You do the math.

Q. Obviously it must also get into your head when you're preparing to serve.

IVO KARLOVIC: That's why I went back. I don't know, like normally my
left leg is on the line, but I went back and they still did it.

Maybe I did it, but I don't usually do it. In my whole life I didn't do 11.

Q. Did you ask the umpire why?

IVO KARLOVIC: I didn't. It is not my job. But, you know, I was
focused on the match. I didn't want to get too crazy over it because I
would lose it. So I was trying to be focused.

I feel cheated. On a Grand Slam, Centre Court, I don't know what to say.

Q. You said you've never done 11. What's the most you've ever been called for and when was that?

IVO KARLOVIC: One or two. I don't even remember the last one. Yesterday was one also in a tiebreak.

Q. Will you complain, take this further now?

IVO KARLOVIC: I don't know if there is anything I can do about it.
Only if there should also be like Hawk‑Eye also looking at it so I could
challenge it. But I don't see how I can do anything about it.
Obviously if they can do it here, then my whole ‑‑ I don't know what
to say. It's like, I don't know, future events, I don't know what to
say.

Q. You see people blow up about individual line calls. You kept calm about it on court really.

IVO KARLOVIC: Yeah, because I don't know, I am a calm guy. But if I lose it, then I lose it. I go off the court.

Q. You're obviously upset because you thought you had a chance to win.

IVO KARLOVIC: I had a chance definitely, definitely. But this 11 foot‑faults, it cannot go unwritten because this is outrageous.

Q. Will you look back at the film of the recording of the match and see if it was properly done?

IVO KARLOVIC: Maybe. I don't know. I don't know what I'm going to do.
Right now I'm angry about it, little bit peed, because I don't expect
it here. Even though it is against English guy who they always want to
win, but I don't expect it here.

Q. But you don't think Murray was in any way involved in that?

IVO KARLOVIC: I don't know.

Q. You think Wimbledon are so desperate for Andy Murray to win, that's what happened today?

IVO KARLOVIC: Not Wimbledon, but whole England ‑ or UK, sorry.
Q. You think they were biased?

IVO KARLOVIC: Definitely.

http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/news/interviews/2012-06-28/201206281340907483144.html

I've just cut and paste the whole interview as it's all strong stuff!

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 29 Jun 2012, 5:35 pm

hawkeye wrote:

Where did you see that?

On the BBC site.
If he feels strongly about it he should review the match (it sounds like he can't be bothered to do that) and make the formal complaint, with the evidence he finds.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri 29 Jun 2012, 5:43 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:Why not give us one of the many stories kicking around about Rafa please hawkeye?
A disappointing post from you cc.
Firstly its irrelevant to the topic- what Karlovic said was shocking (even more so if it was true!); and Hawkeye was right to cover this topic- it's not often we get press conferences like this.
Secondly there is no rule in the forum saying you can only discuss one topic- everyone has the right to bring up something new. And anyway we have already had 10000 posts and article today labelling Nadal a 'scumbag' etc. as he lost, I am not surprised she did not want to do the same.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Fri 29 Jun 2012, 5:48 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/18636457

Last paragraph.

However as I said earlier Karlovic has to take some the blame himself as :

Karlovic lost the first set because he double faulted on set point (not a foot fault). The line judge called his second serve in, Murray challenged, Hawkeye showed ball clearly out. Therefore no line judge bias there.

In the final tie break Karlovic double faulted again to give Murray the chance to serve out the match. Again it was not a foot fault that caused this double fault.

As for the match. In four sets Karlovic only had one break point against the Murray serve. That was in the first game of the match and he took it. So to say he would have won if he had not been foot faulted is stretching it a bit.

Anyway I though you said in a previous arcticle that no player should question an official's authority or does that only apply to the ones you don't like ?

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 29 Jun 2012, 5:52 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:Why not give us one of the many stories kicking around about Rafa please hawkeye?
Firstly its irrelevant to the topic- what Karlovic said was shocking (even more so if it was true!); and Hawkeye was right to cover this topic- it's not often we get press conferences like this.
Secondly there is no rule in the forum saying you can only discuss one topic- everyone has the right to bring up something new. And anyway we have already had 10000 posts and article today labelling Nadal a 'scumbag' etc. as he lost, I am not surprised she did not want to do the same.

I don't think it is disappotining IMBL.

Is it really to highlight Karlovic or a secret bash at Murray.

She is a Rafa fan. Why spend so much time trying to highlight him in a negative light all the time?

She is up there with jersey on that count I'm afraid.

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Fri 29 Jun 2012, 5:53 pm

How would he review the match? Watch a video? He say's in the interview he doesn't know what he should do.

But the thing is this is all out in the open now. Wimbledon's integrity is being questioned in the media. Not just by the British media who no doubt could take the CaladonianCraig approach and call it a "non story" and quickly move on to a less controversial topic but by the world press. They may view it from a different angle. It was funny how many of the British journalists appeared to think they could resolve the issue by asking Murray what he thought!

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 29 Jun 2012, 6:01 pm

I remember the case (but not the whole details) of Rusedski being foot-faulted in a Davis Cup match, I think, and the line judge admitting afterwards he had made it up and done it on purpose so his country would win.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri 29 Jun 2012, 6:02 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:
It Must Be Love wrote:

She is a Rafa fan. Why spend so much time trying to highlight him in a negative light all the time?

Well the article is about Karlovic, and it is a topic which had to be covered....

I don't know why Hawkeye doesn't like Murray but that is her right. To compare her to Jersey or the recent posters who have posted 95% of their posts since 10:00 PM yesterday is simply disgraceful.
Even though Hawkeye doesn't like Murray, does she insult or abuse him? Gives some articles with journalists reporting that they don't like him. We have to get a sense of reality here.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 29 Jun 2012, 6:06 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:
It Must Be Love wrote:

Well the article is about Karlovic, and it is a topic which had to be covered....

I don't know why Hawkeye doesn't like Murray but that is her right. To compare her to Jersey or the recent posters who have posted 95% of their posts since 10:00 PM yesterday is simply disgraceful.
Even though Hawkeye doesn't like Murray, does she insult or abuse him? Gives some articles with journalists reporting that they don't like him. We have to get a sense of reality here.

Sorry IMBL that is a load of crap.

It's ok for her not to like Murray, but people who dislike Nadal should be banned?

How many Nadal threads has jersey done in comparison to Hawkeye's Murray threads?

Also this subject doesn't 'have' to be covered neither.

Same as all the Nadal defeat threads.

They don't have to.

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Fri 29 Jun 2012, 6:09 pm

Calder106 wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/18636457

Last paragraph.

As for the match. In four sets Karlovic only had one break point against the Murray serve. That was in the first game of the match and he took it. So to say he would have won if he had not been foot faulted is stretching it a bit.

Anyway I though you said in a previous arcticle that no player should question an official's authority or does that only apply to the ones you don't like ?

Calder106.

It might make it easier for you to understand Karlovic's complaint if you imagine a slightly different scene. Of course it would never happen but just for arguments sake imagine that Murray was falsely double faulted 11 times in one of his matches with Richard Gasquet at the French Open. After the match Murray gave an interview like Karlovic's. Would you call it a non story?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 29 Jun 2012, 6:11 pm

hawkeye wrote:

Last paragraph.

Calder106.

It might make it easier for you to understand Karlovic's complaint if you imagine a slightly different scene. Of course it would never happen but just for arguments sake imagine that Murray was falsely double faulted 11 times in one of his matches with Richard Gasquet at the French Open. After the match Murray gave an interview like Karlovic's. Would you call it a non story?

So are you saying Karlovic was 'falsely' foot faulted?

We the viewers were not given replays.

Karlovic himself cannot see himself foot faulting.

So what is he basing his argument on when he can't be arsed to even watch the match?

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri 29 Jun 2012, 6:22 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:
It Must Be Love wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:
It Must Be Love wrote:

Sorry IMBL that is a load of crap.

It's ok for her not to like Murray, but people who dislike Nadal should be banned?

How many Nadal threads has jersey done in comparison to Hawkeye's Murray threads?

Also this subject doesn't 'have' to be covered neither.

Same as all the Nadal defeat threads.

They don't have to.
Headscratch
It's irrelevant whether posters dislike Nadal, Murray or Federer.
Yes Hawkeye has posted many articles (many of which I do not agree with it) about Murray.
But does she keep on calling Murray 'scumbag' or claim she would 'laugh if he was r*** to the extent that he was ripped a new bumhole.' ??? (If someone said that about Murray/Federer I would think that is not a good thing- and should be treated/punished fairly.)

This article has just quoted what Karlovic has said in his conference. It isn't really denigrating Murray, and anyway it's not like Hawkeye has said that Karlovic is correct.
I do think it's a bit strange that Karlovic, who I have never seen foot fault before (I have seen him play a lot) suddenly get so many against the home player. He even said after 2 sets he took a step back from his normal position and was still foot faulted.
I agree with Calder that I do not think Ivo would have won anyway, and I need video replays for actual proof- but it does seem rather strange.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Fri 29 Jun 2012, 6:25 pm

I wouldnt compare Hawkeye to Jersey...to be fair.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Fri 29 Jun 2012, 6:29 pm

legendkillar

I am saying that Karlovic says he was falsely foot faulted. Can you understand the difference.

Also what you say about not being shown replays is being discussed on other non British tennis websites. The question there is often "Why were no replays shown"?

JuliousHMarx

That's interesting about Rusedski being falsely foot faulted. Bad in Davis cup but Wimbledon isn't even the Davis cup...

It Must Be Love

Thank you for wading in and defending me and also this topic. That interview by Karlovic is shocking!

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Fri 29 Jun 2012, 6:32 pm

lydian wrote:I wouldnt compare Hawkeye to Jersey...to be fair.

Well I'll take that as a complement but it does feel a little backhanded.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Fri 29 Jun 2012, 6:34 pm

No BH intended...I dont think its fair to compare you to Jersey. I know you're not Murray's best fan but you're not rude or talk about other players in the way Jersey, Daltond (Jersey#2), seifer, etc, do.

The topic is an interesting one based on Karlovic's comments. If we can have 15 threads of why Rosol is the new Federer and how poor Nadal is and what a cheater, then I think 1 thread on an interesting complaint is more than fair.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Fri 29 Jun 2012, 6:45 pm

lydian wrote:No BH intended...I dont think its fair to compare you to Jersey. I know you're not Murray's best fan but you're not rude or talk about other players in the way Jersey, Daltond (Jersey#2), seifer, etc, do.

The topic is an interesting one based on Karlovic's comments. If we can have 15 threads of why Rosol is the new Federer and how poor Nadal is and what a cheater, then I think 1 thread on an interesting complaint is more than fair.

"Interesting"? That interview is dynamite however it is looked at! So much so that I've only just noticed Federer drop the first set...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Fri 29 Jun 2012, 7:02 pm

It's not really dynamite.

It's another player losing a match and straight away whining about something. It's the modern way of the game.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Fri 29 Jun 2012, 8:05 pm

hawkeye wrote:

Last paragraph.

Calder106.

No but you would raise a thread slating Murray for questioning the inteqrity/authority of the officials. Don't say you wouldn't. Remember Paris 2011 and your article then.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri 29 Jun 2012, 8:18 pm

djlovesyou wrote:It's not really dynamite.

It's another player losing a match and straight away whining about something. It's the modern way of the game.
I don't remember Murray or Nadal ever getting foot faulted more than once in a set, this was 11 times in 4 sets. Either Karlovic is really blind or...
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 29 Jun 2012, 8:24 pm

Who can point to a post by where jersey actually swore or said 'I hate Nadal' Whistle

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Fri 29 Jun 2012, 8:27 pm

I wasn't talking about foot faults, just whining in general.

Loads of players come straight off court and blame someone or something for his loss.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Fri 29 Jun 2012, 9:02 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:I still felt he should've tried the Serena way of addressing foot faults Very Happy

Yup the most effective way, so nobody would call foot faults for him the next time he plays in Wimby coz most likely he would be banned laughing

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by yellowgoatboy Fri 29 Jun 2012, 9:15 pm

Has any player ever foot-faulted 11 times (if it was 11) in one match?? I've seen quite a few Karlovic matches and have never seen him foot-fault.

It does seem strange is all I'd say. Does anyone know if it was mainly/all one line judge who called the foot-faults. If so then you'd maybe you'd question that line judge's calls ...

Would very much doubt that there was any deliberate bias though. I think

I wonder if there are any videos with a good enough view.

Karlovic really shouldn't have accused anyone of bias, he should've said he was shocked by the number of calls, stated that nothing even remotely like this had happened to him before and perhaps questioned the line-judge's judgement and then looked at some video evidence if there is any.

All a bit weird I'd say and suspicion would be that when it was very close to being a foot fault then it was given.

yellowgoatboy

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 30 Jun 2012, 6:14 am

Is this 'non-story' still going on?

Hawkeye you have still not answered my pertinent question? Why?

To help the British player? Of course not as they could have helped him far better by not giving him such a tough draw so that one doesn't hold up one iota.

Also for integrity to be questioned then I want more than one incident (especially involving Murray) for a shred of a proof of this lack of integrity. Have we seen Murray been given ANY dubious calls in his favour? ANY other player in the several years Andy has been at Wimbledon with foot-faulting? The answer is no and I presume you scoured the tennis database hawkeye for a crumb of further evidence but evidently couldn't find anything either. That in my eyes makes this a complete non-story, a tale of a player losing and letting off steam or looking for reasons to explain away a loss.

We, those that have frequented this forum for some time, know of hawkeye's bizarre range of anti-Murray posts directed at him and him alone. Cunningly masked in media reports and she adds her own unique slant on it to beef it up to make the issue look as bad as possible for Murray. In this case her bitterness is in that she cannot accept another Murray win graciously and move on. She is always deadly keen to put Murray under the microscope and criticise him even if there is no case to answer. Now IMBL my post about why doesn't she post about Nadal is relevant as she does claim to be a fan of his but she doesn't spend a quarter of the time posting about him as she does with anti-Murray stuff which I find quite pathetic. I mean Nadal lost the other day and there were 'incidences' during that match that certainly didn't shine him in a great light but did I leap in like a wild dog feeding on a dead carcass to slate him and berate him even though there was a golden chance there? NO. I have more dignity than that and more respect for the great players playing this game just now. My comment about Nadal in an earlier post was not made at Nadal and more at hawkeye who unlike Nadal has yet to earn my respect. Sorry if I offended or upset any Nadal fans here for that remark.

Craig

CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sat 30 Jun 2012, 11:02 am

Someone (I think maybe Davenport) said something very sensible about this topic. She said that most of the officials and line judges are used at all the slams and big tournaments throughout the year.

It's not as if it's all biased Brits for this tournament, or only Aussies in Melbourne or only yanks in New York. The idea of 'homer' officials is kinda destroyed by the fact it's the same people all year round. They didn't pluck people wearing 'come on Andy' tshirts off the London streets to officiate!

I prefer the way Rafa responded to defeat. He was unhappy with some of his opponents antics (hypocritically you could say) but chose to stay silent and congratulate his opponent.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Sat 30 Jun 2012, 11:53 am

Ermmm is breathing an antic? That's what seemed to have annoyed Rafa the most, lol.

Good point about the officials - it's quite far fetched to accuse them of bias and possibly just a way for players to get a bit of halo publicity from the intense media focus on Murray.

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sat 30 Jun 2012, 12:01 pm

Nadal moaning about someone adopting jumping around is, perhaps, one of the most bizarre moments of recent years. This is the guy who holds up play, bounces around at the toss up and flaunts all the time based rules.

Surreal.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Sat 30 Jun 2012, 12:08 pm

Not surreal at all - just confirms the ridiculous sense of entitlement and lack of self awareness that Mr. Modest has.

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Seifer Almasy Sat 30 Jun 2012, 12:15 pm

bogbrush wrote:Nadal moaning about someone adopting jumping around is, perhaps, one of the most bizarre moments of recent years. This is the guy who holds up play, bounces around at the toss up and flaunts all the time based rules.

Surreal.

And bumps into players deliberately. I think we can safely add Hypocrite to Nadal's ever growing tally of awfulness.

Seifer Almasy

Back to top Go down

Post by yellowgoatboy Sat 30 Jun 2012, 5:15 pm

Here's Karlovic's latest comments after a doubles match when he wasn't foot faulted.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/wimbledon/9366113/Wimbledon-2012-Ivo-Karlovic-calls-for-public-apology-after-Andy-Murray-foot-fault-saga.html

His biggest mistake has been to accuse officials of bias. If he'd just asked them to investigate this weird discrepancy as I think there is a case to answer, as he (or anyone!?) has never been remotely close to this number of foot faults before. Was it caused by the pressure of the occasion or did a line judge (or two) make errors?

No one seems that interested in whether there were actually foot faults or not ... I'd be very confused and annoyed in his situation, but to accuse them of bias was a bit stoopid & extreme really.

yellowgoatboy

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sat 30 Jun 2012, 5:21 pm

hawkeye wrote:imagine that Murray was falsely double faulted 11 times in one of his matches with Richard Gasquet at the French Open. After the match Murray gave an interview like Karlovic's. Would you call it a non story?

Yes. More to the point I'd tell Murray to grow up and stop being a sore loser - if you can only get one break point against the serve then you don't deserve to win

Murray would never moan about such things. In the US Open against Fed in 08 - Murray had a chance to appeal on break point against Fed in the second set (which I think would have had him serving for the match). He didn't and the ball was out

Did he berate the line judge for been on Fed's side, given that this was an obvious wrong decision not given?

Keep up the excellent articles picard

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 30 Jun 2012, 5:51 pm

I will say this I wouldn't put those linesman who called the Karlovic match out again. I think it is fishy 11 foot faults. I mean if Karlovic was my size and needed an extra few inches towards the net to flatten out his serve and get it over that is one thing. But the guy is 6'10 and hits the ball straight down from the baseline, and I think probably we got a murray fan on the line who subconsciously got carried away. I don't think it was a conspiracy just a linesmen or two who got carried away. I mean every player dives into the court after their service motion and its legal to do it AFTER YOU HIT THE BALL, I think maybe we had a poorly trained or inexperienced linesperson or a closet Murray fan. It was substandard officiating for sure. A guy doesn't spend years on tour and then all of sudden foot fault 11 times.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next