The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jeff International Windows: Snog, marry or avoid?

+12
HammerofThunor
ScarletSpiderman
robbo277
formerly known as Sam
Effervescing Elephant
TrailApe
beshocked
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
LondonTiger
caoimhincentre
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Portnoy
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Jeff International Windows: Snog, marry or avoid? - Page 2 Empty Jeff International Windows: Snog, marry or avoid?

Post by Portnoy Mon 02 Jul 2012, 7:48 am

First topic message reminder :

Given that the fixture list will be announced on Wednesday, and that remembering that the big four 'London' sides will be secure in the knowledge that they will be secure in the knowledge that they will be not be having to face one of their rivals during the IWs.

The IWs are likely to be roughly 3 November-1 December (six weeks) and 27 January-16 March.

Who would like to meet during these windows. As the Tigers have met the Sarries outside the IWs once in the regular season over the past two years, I'd like to avoid them plus Harlequins, Northampton, and any strong side with the few EPS players like Exeter and Bath.

Last edited by Portnoy on Mon 02 Jul 2012, 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Jeff International Windows: Snog, marry or avoid? - Page 2 Empty Re: Jeff International Windows: Snog, marry or avoid?

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 04 Jul 2012, 10:22 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:
PSW - and that was a real kicking you took at PYS to lowly rabo side that were missing something like 11 or 12 players to RWC duty!!!!

To be fair SS that was pretty much a Tigers academy side. The team from that day:

15 Niall Morris - 3rd choice 15
14 Ed Rolston - Loughborough Uni Student on Trial
13 Andy Forsyth - 6th choice centre
12 Andy Symons - 7th choice centre
11 Alex Lewington - 6th choice wing
10 George Ford - 3rd choice 10 (at that point)
9 Sam Harrison - 4th choice 9 (at that point)
1 Jonny Harris - 4th choice loosehead
2 Rob Hawkins - 2nd soon to be 3rd choice hooker
3 Ryan Bower - 4th choice tighthead
4 Graham Kitchener - 4th choice lock
5 Geoff Parling - recovering from injury
6 Ben Pienaar - way down pecking order now released
7 Tom Armes - way down pecking order now released (shame I thought he might make it)
8 Ed Slater - lock playing out of position

16 Tom Youngs
17 Peter Bucknall
18 Fraser Balmain - England under 18 international farmed out on loan to Clermont for rest of the season
19 George Skivington
20 Richard de Carpentier - former student now in A Team
21 James Grindal
22 Jeremy Staunton
23 Dante Mama - Loughborough Student on Trial

They were awful that night and compeltely out classed but it was a good learning experience for so many of them. Particularly in the backs where the half backs, Forsyth and Lewington really started to up their game after that performance, must have been a handy wake up call or a really strong word from Cockers.

Interesting. I have no problems playing Sarries at Wembley. Presumably that means:
Fixtures are pre-announced to clubs or there is a modicum of fixture-rigging going on?

Of course there is a degree of fixture planning Portnoy. There's the whole working around the footballers, guarenting some good action over the Xmas break and of course making sure the two London Double Headers go ahead as planned.
Sam, do you honestly mean that Tigers have such a big squad that there are 5 or 6 players that would appear in front of these guys if you listed consecutive XVs?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Jeff International Windows: Snog, marry or avoid? - Page 2 Empty Re: Jeff International Windows: Snog, marry or avoid?

Post by LondonTiger Wed 04 Jul 2012, 10:28 am

Asbo at that time the centres in order of preference would have been:

Manu, Allen, 36, Smith, Tait, Forsyth, Agulla, Symons

Wings would have been:

Alessana, Agulla, Smith, Hamilton, Tait, Morris. Lewington

OK some guys cover both, but the ones Sam mentions were way down the list.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 04 Jul 2012, 10:29 am

LondonTiger wrote:Asbo at that time the centres in order of preference would have been:

Manu, Allen, 36, Smith, Tait, Forsyth, Agulla, Symons

Wings would have been:

Alessana, Agulla, Smith, Hamilton, Tait, Morris. Lewington

OK some guys cover both, but the ones Sam mentions were way down the list.
But aren't there 2 centres and 2 wingers in every team? And you've fallen into the trap of listing Agulla and Tait twice! Wink Ignore me, just being picky

Last edited by AsLongAsBut100ofUs on Wed 04 Jul 2012, 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 04 Jul 2012, 10:29 am

Sam - I remember watching that match (we were down to kids and 2nd/3rd/4th choice), and even though we beat a team called Leicester, it was not beating the Tigers.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 04 Jul 2012, 10:30 am

beshocked wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:
beshocked wrote:
Btw I think Leicester are playing Saracens 15th September at Wembley. Outside the IWs. Portnoy you should over the moon. I am sure you have an excuse up the sleeve ready to use if you lose though.

Do you have advance notice of the fixtures? Thought they were released at lunchtime today.

No I don't. Information about prospective match at Wembley has been around for ages.

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/Wembley-appearance-lined-Leicester-Tigers/story-16162140-detail/story.html

It hasn't been officially confirmed yet but would expect it this lunch time with the fixture list.

I am very confident this will happen.

so the fixtures were known 6 weeks ago?

They are rigged then Sad

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 04 Jul 2012, 10:31 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Sam - I remember watching that match (we were down to kids and 2nd/3rd/4th choice), and even though we beat a team called Leicester, it was not beating the Tigers.

All spirit had left the team by then. It was worrying and I just hope it is not an indication of things to come.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 04 Jul 2012, 10:33 am

How can Tait even feature in your list when most of his Tiger's career has been him being crocked?

Shame for the guy but he doesn't really feature for Tigers yet.

He's probably had more injuries than hot dinners.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 04 Jul 2012, 10:35 am

beshocked wrote:How can Tait even feature in your list when most of his Tiger's career has been him being crocked?

He's probably had more injuries than hot dinners.

Seems to be a problem with ex-newcastle backs that.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Wed 04 Jul 2012, 10:36 am

Anyone know what time the fixtures are announced?
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 04 Jul 2012, 10:36 am

2pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 04 Jul 2012, 10:37 am

LondonTiger wrote:
beshocked wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:
beshocked wrote:
Btw I think Leicester are playing Saracens 15th September at Wembley. Outside the IWs. Portnoy you should over the moon. I am sure you have an excuse up the sleeve ready to use if you lose though.

Do you have advance notice of the fixtures? Thought they were released at lunchtime today.

No I don't. Information about prospective match at Wembley has been around for ages.

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/Wembley-appearance-lined-Leicester-Tigers/story-16162140-detail/story.html

It hasn't been officially confirmed yet but would expect it this lunch time with the fixture list.

I am very confident this will happen.

so the fixtures were known 6 weeks ago?

They are rigged then Sad

To be honest I think most are.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 04 Jul 2012, 10:40 am

All spirit had left the team by then. It was worrying and I just hope it is not an indication of things to come

Actually I still think it was a turning point LT. The grit and determination shown in the LV Cup games in the new year, which was vastly the same players with some even younger guys in for the Quins game, showed that actually it was the kick up the backside some of them needed. I think it was also the time when certain Tigers players were deemed not good enough, noteably both flankers were released at the end of the season.

Sam - I remember watching that match (we were down to kids and 2nd/3rd/4th choice), and even though we beat a team called Leicester, it was not beating the Tigers

SS, it was very worrying at the time but as I've just said I think a turning point. LT wasn't the only one worried, getting beat by a better team, well there's no shame in that but giving up and letting them give you a right kicking without much of a fight isn't the Tigers way. Go down fighting or get out of the club. Cockers did well to turn some of those young guys around for the second half of the season and turn that game into a learning experience.

How can Tait even feature in your list when most of his Tiger's career has been him being crocked?

He's back in pre season training and should be ready to start the new campaign.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Wed 04 Jul 2012, 12:03 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:
beshocked wrote:

To be honest PSW when have Tigers been bummed by a 2nd division united as you call them? Unless you call a certain team a 2nd division united. Whistle Laugh

Sat 3 Sep 15:00 PR Leicester Tigers 28 - 30 Exeter Chiefs Welford Road 18,251
Sun 11 Sep 14:15 PR London Wasps 35 - 29 Leicester Tigers Adams Park 5,078
Sat 17 Sep 15:05 PR Newcastle Falcons 26 - 27 Leicester Tigers Kingston Park 4,214
Sat 24 Sep 14:30 PR Leicester Tigers 25 - 50 Saracens Welford Road 17,557
October 2011
Sat 1 Oct 15:15 PR Bath Rugby 26 - 25 Leicester Tigers Recreation Ground 11,768
Sat 15 Oct 18:00 LVC-P2,P3 Scarlets 31 - 3 Leicester Tigers Parc y Scarlets 6,314

I removed the loss to Quins from that because they are a team worthy of respect.

Wow. That has to be one of the most arrogant things I've ever seen written on these boards. Amazingly when I meet rugby fans in person I never ever hear this kind of drivel at all. The fact that you don't feel that Exeter, Wasps, Falcons, Saracens, Bath and Scarlets don't deserve respect says a lot about you.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 04 Jul 2012, 12:26 pm

Based on most of PSW's posts I would say that his tongue was firmly in cheek and he was looking for someone to bite.

whether he expected to land such a large fish I am not sure.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Wed 04 Jul 2012, 2:43 pm

Strange that http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/Wembley-appearance-lined-Leicester-Tigers/story-16162140-detail/story.html

was spot on. (six weeks ago)
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Wed 04 Jul 2012, 2:53 pm

I wonder how previous (pre-fixtures announcement) e-mails to the RFU, BBC sports desk and the Register Of All-Party Groups (Rugby Union Football) will respond.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 04 Jul 2012, 3:30 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Based on most of PSW's posts I would say that his tongue was firmly in cheek and he was looking for someone to bite.

whether he expected to land such a large fish I am not sure.

I hope you arent calling Ozzie a Pollock

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Wed 04 Jul 2012, 4:38 pm

Well well.

Regarding fixture fixing.

I've just bee speaking to the rugby man on the Leicester Mercury (rugby) sports desk.

Apparently the fixture lists are sorted out carefully between clubs well before-hand - largely due to primacy of tenancy issues. Which is reasonable.

But in addition what they can do (which I think is wrong) is hog-trade certain fixtures on certain days with certain clubs.

Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 04 Jul 2012, 4:44 pm

It's a fix! Burn the witch!

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Dubbelyew L Overate Wed 04 Jul 2012, 4:57 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:It's a fix! Burn the witch!

Oi, leave my missus out of this.

Dubbelyew L Overate

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 04 Jul 2012, 5:35 pm

Ports,

Being a dinosaur (curmudgeonly or otherwise) I wouldve thought youd be in favour of this as it harks back to the good old days when clubs organised their own fixtures and didnt have to worry about artificial league constraints.
Under that system Tigers could of course choose to not play during the 6 nations.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 04 Jul 2012, 5:43 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Ports,

Being a dinosaur (curmudgeonly or otherwise) I wouldve thought youd be in favour of this as it harks back to the good old days when clubs organised their own fixtures and didnt have to worry about artificial league constraints.
Under that system Tigers could of course choose to not play during the 6 nations.
Laugh

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 05 Jul 2012, 9:15 am

Portnoy are you happy with the fixture list?

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Thu 05 Jul 2012, 9:30 am

beshocked wrote:Portnoy are you happy with the fixture list?

What? Nine IW games? Not in that respect. I'm unhappy on behalf of The Saints, Glaws and Quins.

Once again the implicit assumption is that I want the Tigers to win the League. I have always argued for a fair and even contest amongst the all teams.
i.e. best fit, selected side unencumbered by external factors like call-ups (and suspensions obviously).
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 05 Jul 2012, 9:35 am

Fair. Laugh Next you'll asking for players to not get injured!

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Knackeredknees Thu 05 Jul 2012, 9:56 am

Portnoy wrote:
beshocked wrote:Portnoy are you happy with the fixture list?

What? Nine IW games? Not in that respect. I'm unhappy on behalf of The Saints, Glaws and Quins.

Once again the implicit assumption is that I want the Tigers to win the League. I have always argued for a fair and even contest amongst the all teams.
i.e. best fit, selected side unencumbered by external factors like call-ups (and suspensions obviously).

But your not unhappy for sarries, as there is a good chance that we will be losing the same number of players as you?

I'ld feel sorry for any side that is not hit by call ups beating the Tigers in that time as it will be called a hollow victory and not deserving as they he'd 70 players called up and the opposition had none. Whistle

Knackeredknees

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 05 Jul 2012, 10:04 am

Next you'll asking for players to not get injured!

Most of them wouldn't if it wasn't for international duty...

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2