The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Provisional Ball

+16
BlueCoverman
lorus59
I'm never wrong
George1507
golfermartin
navyblueshorts
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
McLaren
SmithersJones
ScottieD18
kwinigolfer
oldparwin
dynamark
super_realist
Lairdy
busted
20 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Provisional Ball - Page 2 Empty Provisional Ball

Post by busted Mon 02 Jul 2012, 10:03 am

First topic message reminder :

Hi, I was in a medal on Saturday, was going well but had hit a terrible tee shot on 16th. It had ht a tree and bounced off into some deep rough. the wrong side of a lake surrounded by trees - ie my next shot would have been preety much impossible - and with no obvious chip out.
My thoughts were to hit a provisional - I got to thinking about the rules on this.
If i hit a good provisional , could I then just call the original ball lost - and then just say carry on ill play my provisional -ie not even looking for it (in case i found it !) ?
If the provisional was also rubbish, I could really try to find the original, and in worst case scenario call it unplayable and return to the tee to play 3 ..

I know it would be against the spirit, but is it against the rules ?

busted

Back to top Go down

Provisional Ball - Page 2 Empty Re: Provisional Ball

Post by mystiroakey Fri 06 Jul 2012, 1:40 pm

busted wrote:Hi, I was in a medal on Saturday, was going well but had hit a terrible tee shot on 16th. It had ht a tree and bounced off into some deep rough. the wrong side of a lake surrounded by trees - ie my next shot would have been preety much impossible - and with no obvious chip out.
My thoughts were to hit a provisional - I got to thinking about the rules on this.
If i hit a good provisional , could I then just call the original ball lost - and then just say carry on ill play my provisional -ie not even looking for it (in case i found it !) ?
If the provisional was also rubbish, I could really try to find the original, and in worst case scenario call it unplayable and return to the tee to play 3 ..

I know it would be against the spirit, but is it against the rules ?

No its not really against the rules. we have to understand in this case its all about speeding up play- so even if it is against the rules i applaud the attitude to just declare the ball lost.

Actually i may have misunderstood what you meant- your obviously talking about having the free attempt at the provisional, If it was bad then look for the ball. Yeah its kind off naughty isnt it- Basically if you call it a provisional you need to look for it

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Fri 06 Jul 2012, 2:36 pm

oldparwin wrote:I seem to remember that Sandy Lyle got disqualified from a tournament for practising his putting on the 18th green in the evening, what rule would be used for that.??

7.2b

Stroke Play

Before a round or play-off on any day of a stroke play competition, a competitor
must not practise on the competition course or test the surface of any putting
green on the course by rolling a ball or roughening or scraping the surface.
When two or more rounds of a stroke play competition are to be played over
consecutive days, a competitor must not practise between those rounds on any
competition course remaining to be played
, or test the surface of any putting
green on such course by rolling a ball or roughening or scraping the surface.

I assume he was practising some time after he'd finished his round. There are also some rules that the various pro tours have, so he may have been guilty of some infraction there too.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2