The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tottenham Hotspurs appoint Andre Villas Boas as manager

+3
Kenny
John Cregan
Crimey
7 posters

Go down

Tottenham Hotspurs appoint Andre Villas Boas as manager Empty Tottenham Hotspurs appoint Andre Villas Boas as manager

Post by Crimey Tue 03 Jul 2012, 2:14 pm

I think it's a risky appointment. He struggled at Chelsea because of the player power, but at Spurs he has the problem of replacing the popular Redknapp. Ironically he has to now fight to keep Modric, who he was fighting to buy just a year ago.

He's obviously a talented manager as he did well at Porto and learnt under Bobby Robson, Van Gaal and Mourinho, but I'm not sure whether he'll be a success. I think they'd have been better off waiting a couple more weeks and appointing Deschamps or Blanc.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Tottenham Hotspurs appoint Andre Villas Boas as manager Empty Re: Tottenham Hotspurs appoint Andre Villas Boas as manager

Post by John Cregan Tue 03 Jul 2012, 2:19 pm

Very dodgy appointment but wish him well............disappointed for Harry considering the great success Spurs had under him.

If this doesn't work out AVB reputation in tatters..........

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Tottenham Hotspurs appoint Andre Villas Boas as manager Empty Re: Tottenham Hotspurs appoint Andre Villas Boas as manager

Post by Crimey Tue 03 Jul 2012, 2:21 pm

There is so much scrutiny on him as well because of the doubt over his managerial ability. There will be a serious lack of patience if results and performances start going badly.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Tue 03 Jul 2012, 2:26 pm

He really needs to get the squad on his side straight away , he seems very set in his own ways and unwilling to compromise .

I do think he is a good manager though , and from what i have read will lose alot of money by joining Spurs as he didn't get a lump sum from Chelsea so its not about the money but more about rebuilding his reputation .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Tue 03 Jul 2012, 2:35 pm

Think the egos at Chelsea were the problem dont think itll be the same at Spurs he wants to bring in Moutinho who was good at the Euros and seems to be finally realising his potential so could be a good replacement for Modric just needs to sign a few centre backs at King is on the way out and Dawsons been picking up injuries.

A good youngish squad at Spurs though so could be plenty for him to work with

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 03 Jul 2012, 4:08 pm

Think egos are always going to be an issue...especially when one of them is AVB's. Imagine the pressure he'll be under if results don't go his way and he satrts hearing, "There's only one Harry Redknapp" belting out of the terraces..he'll try squat himself into the ground. He recently stated he didn't want to take a job in the Premiership so soon after being sacked by Chelsea as it would mean his career in England was dead. Wonder what changed his mind.

He needs to win a Cup or get top four in his first season else he's out.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 03 Jul 2012, 5:30 pm

On the face of it, it looks like an excellent match-up. I think he is more likely to fit in at Spurs then any of the other Premiership teams. He just needs to be given a bit of time and the Chairman needs to be realistic in his Premiership and European aspirations. Hopefully AV Boas will bring through many English players for the national side.

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue 03 Jul 2012, 5:34 pm

AVB usually likes a 4-3-3, so with their current squad I imagine it'll look like:

Bale----Defoe/Adebayor---Lennon

----Van Der Vaart-------Modric
------------------Parker

A-O---Kaboul--------Dawson-----Walker

-----------------Friedel

Decent side, although suspect at the back.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 03 Jul 2012, 5:37 pm

Not sure this'll work out to be honest. There's immediate pressure on AVB due to his failure at Chelsea and at the same time there's immediate expectations what with Spurs expected to finish in the top 4. I think AVB won't last the season.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 03 Jul 2012, 5:54 pm

For me what Spurs need is depth in there squad. As soon as a couple of injuries and suspensions hit there starting XI looks a lot weaker.

Defensive improvements are a must as well
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 03 Jul 2012, 6:20 pm

i actually think its a good appointment, if you have a look around there really isnt many mangaers springing out at you and have a good a cv as AVB's.

i also thought he was hard done by at chelsea, the results were poor but have a feeling this was down to the players spitting thier dummys out more than anything else. i thought some of the things he was doing was bang on but got critised for them. he dropped lampard who had been playing poorly for quite a while and isnt anywhere near the player he was yet because he one of the chelseas golden boys they rounded on avb. avb could have done things better and learning to handle ego's is one of them, but he's young and will have learnt from the chelsea job already.

as to whether he will be a success is another thing, he's needs backing. but im not sure whether he will get it, just looking at the opinions on here show that he wont be universally backed. and the biggest thing is he will have harrys shadow looming over him. its not like harry retired or left for another club he was unfairly sacked and thats what i think could be spurs downfall. soon as a few slip ups start to happening the fans will want harry back.

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down