The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Happy Gilmore school of Golf

+10
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
navyblueshorts
Davie
LondonJonnyO
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
sharrison01
drive4show
ronin47
McLaren
Adam D
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The Happy Gilmore school of Golf Empty The Happy Gilmore school of Golf

Post by Adam D Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:57 am

For those of you who havent seen this film (I am sure you all have), the basic premise is that the titular Happy used to be a Hockey player and has an amazing slaphot. This translates to him being able to hit the ball incredible distances but he can't putt for toffee.

He uses his ice hockey skills to hit the ball - namely he has a run up to the ball and swings.

So my question is - how many of you have actually tried this and what happened?!?

Personally, I could hit the ball with a 6 to 9 Iron but couldnt get any distance using anything below. The woods in particular were impossible to hit. However, I did find my irons were being hit not bad and more straight than usual!

So lets hear your thoughts on the film, and your experiences in replicating the swing (I know you have all tried it!)

Last edited by Hobo on Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

The Happy Gilmore school of Golf Empty Re: The Happy Gilmore school of Golf

Post by McLaren Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:36 am

You do know this is the equivalent of asking about rocky's fighting style on the boxing board.

Actually not quite the same as it seems here on the golf forum we have a sense of humour.

Here is a video that might answer whether the swing is a good idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wguFY0DDoAU

I have of course tried but only with driver and three wood from a tee. I did not find a length improvement and of course the balls went all over the place.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:53 am

thats a brilliant video - cheers Mac.

I was expecting to hear that the scientists say its stupid but they say the opposite - it works!

I reckon that it would be like Malingas bowling action. Very hard to master but if you get it right and practice, its a real advantage.

I honestly thought they were going to say it was baloney!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by ronin47 Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:55 am

Doesn't he have back problems now ??

ronin47
ronin47
ronin47

http://www.waterproofgolfjackets.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:02 am

Happy Gilmour?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:33 pm

ronin47 wrote:Doesn't he have back problems now ??

ronin47

I don't think Happy has back problems. In fact, he is probably still serving his ban for fighting with fans. But once that's over, I'm sure he'll get an invite to Augusta Yahoo

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:41 pm

Hobo wrote:For those of you who havent seen this film (I am sure you all have), the basic premise is that the titular Happy used to be a Hockey player and has an amazing slaphot. This translates to him being able to hit the ball incredible distances but he can't putt for toffee.

He uses his ice hockey skills to hit the ball - namely he has a run up to the ball and swings.

So my question is - how many of you have actually tried this and what happened?!?

Personally, I could hit the ball with a 6 to 9 Iron but couldnt get any distance using anything below. The woods in particular were impossible to hit. However, I did find my irons were being hit not bad and more straight than usual!

So lets hear your thoughts on the film, and your experiences in replicating the swing (I know you have all tried it!)

Without the run up, sounds a bit like Rory's game. Maybe he should watch it on repeat until he finds his "happy place"!

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:22 pm

It's all in the hips Very Happy
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:23 pm

I would love to see Rory doing the bull dance, feeling the flow.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:23 pm

McLaren wrote:You do know this is the equivalent of asking about rocky's fighting style on the boxing board.

Please don't do that Mclaren I've just came from their it would start a war. 606v2 would go into meltdown.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:38 pm

You know if someone wrote a similar article stating that the greatest boxer ever was Rocky and that people should try to emulate his style they'd get lamblasted for being a WUM and a prick.

Yet because it's golf and Hobo is an admin we can't Flip him off in the same way.

This is pointless Poopie.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:42 pm

LondonJonnyO wrote:You know if someone wrote a similar article stating that the greatest boxer ever was Rocky and that people should try to emulate his style they'd get lamblasted for being a WUM and a prick.

Yet because it's golf and Hobo is an admin we can't Flip him off in the same way.

Have I stated that Happy Gilmour is a great golfer?

I have pointed out the plot point of the film and asked if anyone has tried it.

I have no idea what your problem is. No one else has taken offence and in fact, Padraig Harrington has been on TV trying out the technique - does that make him "a WUM and a prick"?

And what does being an admin have anything to do with anything. This was a genuine article from someone who plays golf and who has tried it. Was asking if anyone else had.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:45 pm

No Hobo... It was a pointless piece of drivel.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:49 pm

I am not going to get in to a war of words with you, but I would strongly suggest that you do not use words like "prick" in your verbal tirade with anyone, let alone a moderator or admin.

If you feel so strongly about an article, then dont comment. Other people have read the article as opposed to just the title and have added thoughtful contributions.

I suggest you move on from the thread now and take a chill pill.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:10 pm

My opinion is my opinion.

and whilst you might consider it a personal comment... you'll find that it was worded that if something similar were posted elsewhere that person would be labelled as such.

And don't suggest that I move on. I'll do what I damn well please.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:12 pm

What you are now doing is wumming this thread. You have had nothing to add to the subject matter being discussed except abusive language and personal attacks.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:13 pm

LJO,

Regardless of your opinion, there is a way to put it across. Referring to someone as a 'WUM' or a 'prick' because you don't like a particular article is not the way. I remember you placing comments on the Japan and Olympic threads that weren't to everyones tastes, yet they refrained from hurling insults, i'd appreciate if you took the same stance.

The article was tongue in cheek, if you don't like it, don't read it.

KB

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:14 pm

LJ - perhaps if you thought the article was akin to asking about Rocky on the boxing forum, it would have been better to PM someone and ask for an opinion on it rather than descend to insults and language that probably should be in the profanity filter.

Instead you've chosen to take on an admin in a war of words. Not a smart move.

None of us admins are beyond reproach as you seem to think. If you'd had a problem with it then you should've used the proper protocol. End of.

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:17 pm

Davie. My opinion of this is rapidly turning into 'If you don't agree with us then you we'll remove those comments and threaten to remove you'

But that's beside the point.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:17 pm

Interesting point in the video Mac links to about Harrington's swing speed with a driver being 107mph and his driving average being 296 yards. Food for thought for the internet warriors.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:18 pm

LondonJonnyO wrote:Davie. My opinion of this is rapidly turning into 'If you don't agree with us then you we'll remove those comments and threaten to remove you'

But that's beside the point.

When has anyone said that to you? Or where has that even been implied here?

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:40 pm

Hobo

I would like to point out that there should be no difference between calling an admin/mod a prick or calling any other user such a name. I think this site would soon loose credibility were the admins to start getting a little too self righteous. I fear you have already banned LJ which would be sad as although he reacted badly to this article he clearly did not deserve a ban.

There is definitely a lack of equality in the way all the mods behave on here. I received a warning that I faced a ban for starting what amounts to exactly this thread on the boxing board. Make no mistake I do not care that you posted this thread. However, why remove my thread on the boxing board while an admin posts this on the golf boards? Where is the continuity?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:44 pm

Mclaren,

LJO has not been banned.

As for the boxing article, it was not well received so it was removed. This article was originally well received and didn't cause offence. Hence why it stayed up.

You shouldn't resort to calling anyone a prick on here, it's uncalled for and unnecessary.

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:47 pm

McLaren wrote:Hobo

I would like to point out that there should be no difference between calling an admin/mod a prick or calling any other user such a name. I think this site would soon loose credibility were the admins to start getting a little too self righteous. I fear you have already banned LJ which would be sad as although he reacted badly to this article he clearly did not deserve a ban.

There is definitely a lack of equality in the way all the mods behave on here. I received a warning that I faced a ban for starting what amounts to exactly this thread on the boxing board. Make no mistake I do not care that you posted this thread. However, why remove my thread on the boxing board while an admin posts this on the golf boards? Where is the continuity?

just to address this

You are absolutely correct that there should be no difference - if I have implied that, it was not intentional. What I was trying to point out, is that it is not a clever move. Do it to an ordinary member and it may slip through un noticed. do it to a mod or admin and it wont be.

London Johnny has not been banned as of yet, however, he has posted quite caustic remarks that have received a lot of complaints. Along with some of his comments on this thread, he is treading on thin ice.

As for the equality of the admin/ mods - I was not involved in the removal of your thread and do not know the content or circumstances.

With regards to this thread, I would like to point out that I have not condoned or glorified the film. I have simply asked if anyone has tried the technique that is used in the film. Padraig Harrington has as you pointed out. I am not saying that it is better - I was just asking if people had tried it. I play golf and have tried it. I know friends who have. I know people at my club that have. What is wrong with asking a question about a technique used in a GOLFING movie?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:48 pm

Well clearly it did cause offence to at least one user given LJ's response. Surely the removal of articles however has nothing to do with causing offence but rather whether or no they are within house rules?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:49 pm

To state from a message I received.

LJ - I'm trying to fight your corner to a degree here and understand what you are saying. There is pressure to silence you though.

that was from an admin and was in relation to my strong opinions. The comments were removed.

Can you say 'Freedom of Speech'? How about 'Censorship'?

The guy who sent it was not at all at fault here. But the fact that others wanted to silence my opinions shows something wrong don't you think.

and no. Not banned Mac. Just disgusted with some of the hipocrisy I'm seeing.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:52 pm

Ok

Can we just agree on a few things here.

1. This article was light hearted and in no way should it be removed.

2. I think the Mods have been a little heavy handed so far. BUT this is new and I am sure everyone will get the hang of it. This site has something good going and in the whole a good place to post.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:54 pm

LondonJonnyO wrote:To state from a message I received.

LJ - I'm trying to fight your corner to a degree here and understand what you are saying. There is pressure to silence you though.

that was from an admin and was in relation to my strong opinions. The comments were removed.

Can you say 'Freedom of Speech'? How about 'Censorship'?

The guy who sent it was not at all at fault here. But the fact that others wanted to silence my opinions shows something wrong don't you think.

and no. Not banned Mac. Just disgusted with some of the hipocrisy I'm seeing.

Again, it's the way you put your opinion across.

You've come close to the bone on a number of threads with your views and opinions and whilst we respect them and allow the majority to stand it doesn't give you the right to resort to personal insults to emphasise your point.

Back to top Go down

Post by SetupDeterminesTheMotion Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:57 pm

LondonJonnyO wrote:You know if someone wrote a similar article stating that the greatest boxer ever was Rocky and that people should try to emulate his style they'd get lamblasted for being a WUM and a prick.

LJO never called anyone a WUM or a prick. Get a life people.
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
SetupDeterminesTheMotion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:04 pm

SetupDeterminesTheMotion wrote:

LJO never called anyone a WUM or a prick. Get a life people.

Thanks for letting us know!

Site Rules wrote:Use the golden rule, "Treat others as you would want to be treated.”

All members, including admins, must follow these simple rules when using the forums;

1) Follow the Golden Rule and treat others as you would like to be treated!

2) No racism, sexism, and homophobic, or otherwise, vulgar language will be tolerated. The admins do not care if it does not offend you and/or your friends. No bullying and/or discrimination will be tolerated, that includes; Race, Religion, Sex, Age, Cultural Background, Sexual Orientation. Use of foul language, discrimination and derogatory comments are not acceptable, and are subject to admin disciplinary action. It is up to the admin to decide what is or is not acceptable in regards to defamation, discrimination and spamming.

3) No verbal abuse. Doing so violates rule #1 above.

4) Listen to the admins and follow their instructions. The admins are here to help the community that you are part of. Do what they say, and if you have a complaint, do it in a civil manner via a pm. Disobeying an admin can result in you being disciplined by the admins, up to and including being kicked from the site, or temporarily/permanently being banned. We have a thread to lodge complaints, so use it and keep it out of articles.

5) Please watch your language – what you regards as harmless may offend others, would you want your younger brother/sister/cousin being exposed to the kind of language you're using? Keep it clean when you get upset, take a breather before expressing your feelings on the site and please refrain from swearing.

Our general policy in regards to breaking the rules is: Warn, Day-Ban, Perm Ban. Depending on the seriousness of the issue, you may be insta-day-banned (remember rule #2.) Furthermore, repetitive bad behaviour can result in a perm ban, whether it’s twice or 10 times, it is up to the admins.

Last edited by King Beer on Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:06 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Added Rules)

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:12 pm

I am going to make this very clear right now. The rules are:

Use the golden rule, "Treat others as you would want to be treated.”

All members, including admins, must follow these simple rules when using the forums;

1) Follow the Golden Rule and treat others as you would like to be treated!

2) No racism, sexism, and homophobic, or otherwise, vulgar language will be tolerated. The admins do not care if it does not offend you and/or your friends. No bullying and/or discrimination will be tolerated, that includes; Race, Religion, Sex, Age, Cultural Background, Sexual Orientation. Use of foul language, discrimination and derogatory comments are not acceptable, and are subject to admin disciplinary action. It is up to the admin to decide what is or is not acceptable in regards to defamation, discrimination and spamming.

3) No verbal abuse. Doing so violates rule #1 above.

4) Listen to the admins and follow their instructions. The admins are here to help the community that you are part of. Do what they say, and if you have a complaint, do it in a civil manner via a pm. Disobeying an admin can result in you being disciplined by the admins, up to and including being kicked from the site, or temporarily/permanently being banned. We have a thread to lodge complaints, so use it and keep it out of articles.

5) Please watch your language – what you regards as harmless may offend others, would you want your younger brother/sister/cousin being exposed to the kind of language you're using? Keep it clean when you get upset, take a breather before expressing your feelings on the site and please refrain from swearing.

Our general policy in regards to breaking the rules is: Warn, Day-Ban, Perm Ban. Depending on the seriousness of the issue, you may be insta-day-banned (remember rule #2.) Furthermore, repetitive bad behaviour can result in a perm ban, whether it’s twice or 10 times, it is up to the admins.

The intention behind LJO's post was to to say that such an articles poster would be labelled a prick and a WUM. Yet because it was me, he couldnt do that.

It was a attack on me which was implying that I am beyond reproach and also if he could, he would call me those things.

As for this article, it is about a film on Golf. If it is wanted on here, I will delete it. I will also delete the thread about the Masters Music (which is obviously a music thread) and about Golf shoes (which is not about the sport but footwear). This thread was asking if anyone had ever tried hitting the ball like Happy Gilmour. A film about Golf.

LJO decided to post comments that had nothing to do with the thread other than to be abusive. Unfortunately this thread has descended into a argumentative one due to the continued comments from one poster that needed addressing.

One final note, Private Messages are supposedly private. The clue is in the title. If you decide to post them then you are not being very smart for the following reason.

1. They cannot be proved (for example I could post that LJO posted me a message saying that he swings his club like Happy Gilmour)

2. They can be taken out of context if part of a larger PM.

3. You wont be ingratiating yourself with whomevers trust you are breaking.

I suggest that you all think about that before letting out messages between each other.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:13 pm

This seems like a very petty way to debate on a forum?!?

LJ did not call anyone anything derogatory and merely suggested that this type of article is close to being the type of article that is simply there to annoy. I read it in the way that it was written in that it is a lighthearted article not overly related to golfing technique. LJ read it slightly differently and although his opinion added no real value to the debate intended by the author, it was nevertheless an opinion that should not have been taken so poorly.

It is not as if LJ has used this article to create an argument with a completely unrelated topic!? although I do not necessarily agree with his point, I can understand his opinion and surely that is a really important part of a forum. He did not call anybody anything but merely suggested that this type of article has previously caused the author to be called names - I don't understand how this can be so wrong as to evoke such a strong reaction.

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:23 pm

Hobo

No one is asking for this to be removed we are basically asking the mods/admins to stay out of the discussion. Wade in as a poster but not as a mod. If things go seriously against the rules then maybe step in.

I do think you guys have done a great job in setting up this site but are in grave danger of over policing the discussions.

You have got to learn what to let slide and when to step in, right now I know I feel a very strong presence from mods. As far as I can see nothing so far on the golf section has got out of hand yet we have already had comments and users removed.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:25 pm

It's the way he did it. Was there any real need for the swear words? I shouldn't need to expalin what flip and poopie stand for.

It's not a harsh way of dealing with it, if other people had expressed an annoyance about the thread then fair enough but they weren't, therefore if he didn't like it, he should've avoided commenting or used this-------> 🤦

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:28 pm

I'd like to stay entirely unbiased here but reading what LJ posted, to me, implies that someone who posts such an article is exactly a prick and a WUM. He may not have meant it as a direct slight but if I was on the receiving end, I'd read it the same way.

Re. being democratic etc. It's not a democracy folks. There's no absolute freedom of speech and if someone warrants censorship, in the opinions of those in charge (nothing to do with me), then censorship is undoubtedly what'll happen.

Can I suggest this discussion continues via PMs? Unless the Admin think it's valuable enough that this is done in the open.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:29 pm

I agree Mac.

I would like to point out that my posts have been as a poster. My first response to LJO was as a regular poster (he was the one who brought up I was an admin).

Subsequent ones have been replied with my admin hat on.

All of the admin and moderators do this out of their own time. We have done it to create a forum for everyone. However, every town needs a sheriff, and there will always be people who see the badge first and not the person.

These people usually have a problem with authority.

All of the admin and moderators are regular posters too. We are just here to enforce the rules should people overstep them.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:29 pm

McLaren wrote:Hobo

No one is asking for this to be removed we are basically asking the mods/admins to stay out of the discussion. Wade in as a poster but not as a mod. If things go seriously against the rules then maybe step in.

I do think you guys have done a great job in setting up this site but are in grave danger of over policing the discussions.

You have got to learn what to let slide and when to step in, right now I know I feel a very strong presence from mods. As far as I can see nothing so far on the golf section has got out of hand yet we have already had comments and users removed.

Stay out of the discussion? Why? The thread was started by an admin!

Over policing? Hardly, McLaren.

You were banned in week 1 for language, since then only LJO has been warned and that was for his comments on the Japan and Olympic discussions. The moderation has become much more lenient to allow debate to flow.

The article on boxing was not taken in it's intended context, and as such it was removed to avoid issue. At the request of the boxing board. If you felt your warning was over the top then you can raise this with the admin team privately.

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:30 pm

King Beer

but the same applies to you, if you did not like what LJ said just ignore it. Yes if he later comes back and repeatedly makes such comments then step in. You can surely see that wading in all the time helps no one?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:30 pm

Ok.

Lets take a little step at what we have here.

First up. The PM I posted was not attributed to any person. It was an example in direct response to KB and his question as to what has been done so far. I've ignored his response as that was equally pointless. The comments were in relation to the Japanese thing and how I view the comments made by others offensive. The response from you lot was pathetic in my opinion.

Secondly.
Hobo wrote:
As for this article, it is about a film on Golf. If it is wanted on here, I will delete it. I will also delete the thread about the Masters Music (which is obviously a music thread) and about Golf shoes (which is not about the sport but footwear). This thread was asking if anyone had ever tried hitting the ball like Happy Gilmour. A film about Golf.

So on the basis that you have had a little tantrum from what I'm reading you'll happily remove a whole stack of other posts? Well done.

King Beer wrote:

Was that really a required statement? I don't think so... and considering the following statement

Site Rules wrote:

it's highly entertaining.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:31 pm

King Beer

Read my post again, I said stay out as a mod not as a poster.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

The Happy Gilmore school of Golf Empty happy gilmour

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:37 pm

You guys are worse than us boxing lads and we get stick 🤦
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:44 pm

LondonJonnyO wrote:First up. The PM I posted was not attributed to any person. It was an example in direct response to KB and his question as to what has been done so far.

LJ - it was a highly divisive thing to post whether you intended it to be or not.

As someone else pointed out, Private messages are meant to be just that, and you've lost a lot of respect from me by quoting it OUT OF CONTEXT even without attribution.

The other admins naturally queried where it had come from and I informed them that they were my words from a PRIVATE message to you. Also that they were a carefully selected extract of the total message I sent you where I requested that you watched your behaviour on the forum otherwise you could be looking at a ban. An informal first warning if you like. By just taking one part of the message and making it public, you not only betrayed a confidence of a PM, but also twisted what was really being said for your own purpose.

I informed the rest of the admins what the whole message said; how I had a certain sympathy with what you were trying to say, but only disagreed with your method of saying it. It was a friendly warning to try to get you to tone down your own comments before it became an official warning. I'm starting to regret taking that approach now.

I'll lay my cards on the table. I don't want to see you banned. I think at times you bring A LOT to the forum. You aren't one of the typical WUMs from 606 who thankfully haven't (yet) moved over here. You bring a lot of knowledge of the game to the table and you can be extremely amusing and entertaining with it.

You also have habit of kicking off when least expected and put yourself in a position where people who maybe don't know the old 606 regulars so well would question your continued membership of the forum.

We have been extremely lucky here in the golf section that we haven't had the firefights that some other sections have had. The other admins have pretty much left it up to be to decide what is banter and what is WUMmery and up to today I think it has worked pretty well. In fact even today, I believe if I hadn't been in a meeting at the time things flared up, a lot of this could have been nipped in the bud. However, like most people here I also have a full time job which has to come first and so, by bad fortune, things were already getting heated when I was alerted to it.

A little thought before hitting enter is all we ask. This whole incident could have been avoided.

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:45 pm

LondonJonnyO wrote:Ok.

Lets take a little step at what we have here.

First up. The PM I posted was not attributed to any person. It was an example in direct response to KB and his question as to what has been done so far. I've ignored his response as that was equally pointless. The comments were in relation to the Japanese thing and how I view the comments made by others offensive. The response from you lot was pathetic in my opinion.

Secondly.
Hobo wrote:

So on the basis that you have had a little tantrum from what I'm reading you'll happily remove a whole stack of other posts? Well done.

King Beer wrote:

Was that really a required statement? I don't think so... and considering the following statement

Site Rules wrote:

The response seems to be pathetic because you seem to value your opinion higher than anyone elses and think you're above everyone.

King Beer wrote:

Site Rules wrote:

[/quote]

Glad you enjoyed it, i notice you failed to quote the post i responded to, which was equally pointless.

How about i take a little 'step'. This discussion has gone on far too long. Your comments, whether you like it or not, were taken to be offensive and aimed at an admin. You seem to protest otherwise, that's your choice.

You were asked publicly to respect others opinions but you seem to have a problem with that. So here's what i suggest.

1) Move on, go back to chatting about golf and leave this incident behind us?

2) Carry on arguing until someone gets banned?

Your choice.

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:48 pm

King Beer wrote:

and there's the threat.

Davie. I actually didn't attribute it so as to allow you to remain anonymous in that case. I also left out the more personal stuff on the basis that I view that as very private and not something for me to share. If you feel that I was a little out of order with that I apologise. I did so in order to leave you out of the 'debate' rather than drag you into this whole thing.

LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:49 pm

Ok guys this thread has now run its course I think. When Hobo posted it and I read it I thought there may be about 10 replies or so, but it's now managed over 40 and not much of it do with the original thread. can we just get this sorted off-line.

This board has been pretty good since we started and not too many issues with wums or any abuse, easy to manage, informed, instructive and a few laughs along the way. Plenty of opinions and some opinionated people but thats what makes the board work. There are going to be times when we all feel that a certain post is a personal attack, even though it may not have been meant that way, so we can all read something into a post that was miss-read, or miss-understood but these are usually cleared up quickly enough. This board almost polices itself for gods sake, so can we get it out of the way now please

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:49 pm

Davie

Hell knows what happened to the rest of this thread, a slight over reaction be one of the other mods no doubt.

It will make little sense now but I would like to say I think you have shown a great deal of sense when policing the golf forum. I am not trying to have a pop at the other mods but their lack of knowledge from the old 606 regulars seems to have hampered their chances here. The deleting of this thread illustrates exactly what I was trying to say.

I would say rule number one should be all comments stay unless they are totally heinous. Ok this thread did not go where the writer wanted but you have to keep what was said, that is how a forum works.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:51 pm

Doc wrote:Ok guys this thread has now run its course I think. When Hobo posted it and I read it I thought there may be about 10 replies or so, but it's now managed over 40 and not much of it do with the original thread. can we just get this sorted off-line.

This board has been pretty good since we started and not too many issues with wums or any abuse, easy to manage, informed, instructive and a few laughs along the way. Plenty of opinions and some opinionated people but thats what makes the board work. There are going to be times when we all feel that a certain post is a personal attack, even though it may not have been meant that way, so we can all read something into a post that was miss-read, or miss-understood but these are usually cleared up quickly enough. This board almost polices itself for gods sake, so can we get it out of the way now please

The voice of reason.

However, there will be some people who just dont learn unfortunately.

I have removed the majority of this thread (it has been stored for future reference if needed).

I still have no idea why this thread has descended into this - it was a genuine question which I would appreciate some real answers to.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:54 pm

McLaren wrote:Davie

Hell knows what happened to the rest of this thread, a slight over reaction be one of the other mods no doubt.

It will make little sense now but I would like to say I think you have shown a great deal of sense when policing the golf forum. I am not trying to have a pop at the other mods but their lack of knowledge from the old 606 regulars seems to have hampered their chances here. The deleting of this thread illustrates exactly what I was trying to say.

I would say rule number one should be all comments stay unless they are totally heinous. Ok this thread did not go where the writer wanted but you have to keep what was said, that is how a forum works.

sorry Mac - I have removed the comments as they went off topic but they are stored elsewhere.

As for the old 606 regulars etc - this is 606v2. If we want to add new members in the future, we cant have cliques of old and new posters.

People irrespective of when they joined, whether they are known or whether they are admin should be treated the same way - with respect and courtesy.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:54 pm

LondonJonnyO wrote:
King Beer wrote:

and there's the threat.

Davie. I actually didn't attribute it so as to allow you to remain anonymous in that case. I also left out the more personal stuff on the basis that I view that as very private and not something for me to share. If you feel that I was a little out of order with that I apologise. I did so in order to leave you out of the 'debate' rather than drag you into this whole thing.

The question mark implies it wasn't a threat, more of an open ended question as generally that's how it's ended. Pretty sure if we were that gung ho anyone who dare's question our stance would swiftly be removed.

McLaren,

Davie has done a great job, but it doesn't mean that golf is solely for him to 'police' at times other mods will have to jump on and they should all be treated equally and vice versa.

This discussion has gone on far too long and for the record i too believe the comments should've stayed.

Nobody is being warned, nobody is being banned and nobody has any black marks against them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:57 pm

Okay - the comments have been remerged as thats what everyone wants.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next