The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your 10 Favourite Britsh Films

+14
CFCNick
Morgannwg
mystiroakey
ChequeredJersey
Jennifer1984
westisbest
asdral225
Skydriver
Kenny
hornbloweroafc
Il Gialloblu
guildfordbat
Cari
Hoggy_Bear
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Your 10 Favourite Britsh Films - Page 2 Empty Your 10 Favourite Britsh Films

Post by Guest Wed 04 Jul 2012, 12:57 pm

First topic message reminder :

Brit flicks. Don't quite have the same star feeling about them, but in the last 20 years we have seen some stunning British films which don't get the international recognition that they deserve. So I have decided on a thread of your favourite British films ever. A summary would be great as to why you rate them so much. Here are mine.

1) Quadrophenia 1979 - For me the ultimate British Film!! The soundtrack, mood, culture. Makes me want to be a mod of the 60's. The rawness of it just blows my mind. The film follows little Jimmy trying to find his way in life and find himself an order, a following to belong to. With roles from Winstone, Ash, Sting. For me Phil Daniels is awesome. The drug loving lad who just wants to live in a paradise of love and drugs forever. How his life dismantles itself and spirals out of control is compelling viewing.

2) Sexy Beast 2000 - 'It's f*cking hot!' The start of this film is just immense. Captures the British immigration dream with the laid back attitude, enjoying the lifestyle of sunshine. Everything comes together. Then Don shows up. Bang. One of the best pyschopathic performances ever. Ben Kingsley's performance was Oscar worthy. The mirror scene when shaving just kills me everytime. Winstone as Gal just the loveable lump. Not many times you can say that of a Winstone film.

3) Trainspotting 1995 -It is so difficult to pick Danny Boyle's greatest triumph. He has done so many brilliant films. This one however transcends time. It is brilliant. Never has drug use been so cool and so lax in interpretation. Mcgregor/Bremner/Miller are brilliant but Robert Carlyle steals it as Begbie!! It is a stunning piece of filmography and it will stand the test of time.

4) Football Factory 2004 - The ultimate football adapted film. Danny Dyer may not be everyone's cup of tea, but him and Frank Harper

5) This is England 2006 - Shane Meadows hit the jackpot with this film. Stephen Graham is epic as skinhead Combo. This film just captures the 1980's so imaculately. Thomas Turgoose is refreshing as Shaun. Despite the film spawning some spin off's, the film itself is just timeless and beautiful.

6) The Rise of the Footsoldier 2007 - Just the most epic biopic film I have seen. All I will say is Craig Fairbrass as Pat Tate. Just brilliant. My favourite thug performance. Never turn this guy down if he asks for a pizza Doh

7) Last Orders 2001 - A beauty of a film. Never read the novel. Seen the film many a times and it always touches the emotional buttons. This is my favourite Michael Caine film. Bob Hoskins deserves a mention for such a stunning performance. As friend to Jack and hiding his affair with his wife Amy. It recounts Jack's life and his friends and family and the impact they had in his life. If you have never seen it, I implore that you do. It is a fantastic watch.

8) Layer Cake 2004 - Daniel Craig took his bow in the lead role of XXXX. The story and for me Colm Meaney is just brilliant as Gene. Michael Gambon as Eddie Temple is brilliant with his philosophies and speechs. The build up of the film and it's events and where it is going to lead to is just brilliant.

9) 28 Days Later 2002 - My favourite zombie film ever. Cillian Murphy is superb as Jim and as is Naomie Harris for Selena. Brendan Gleeson deserves a mention for his performance as Frank as man seeking for refuge and hope for himself and his daughter. It is such a stunning film. The bleakness is just fantastic.

10) Kidulthood 2006 - For me the most brutal insight to the reality of the playground wars. The first 20 minutes involving Kate and Sam Peel just makes me cringe mentally because of the starkness of it. I fully endorse this film to anyone not seeing it. Then ending is one of the best I have seen in a film. Telling performance by Noel Clarke.

Back to top Go down

Your 10 Favourite Britsh Films - Page 2 Empty Re: Your 10 Favourite Britsh Films

Post by GG Mon 30 Jul 2012, 8:17 pm

Quadrophenia is brilliant. Probably my second favourite British film, In Bruges being no 1.

GG

Back to top Go down

Your 10 Favourite Britsh Films - Page 2 Empty Re: Your 10 Favourite Britsh Films

Post by mystiroakey Mon 30 Jul 2012, 8:21 pm

In brugges is so funny. Id say Irish/london humour(writer/director born in london from irish stock)- But Ralph fines is also hillarious in his part and shows his versitility.. Its the only film where i really rate Colin Farrel as well.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Mon 30 Jul 2012, 9:08 pm

London Boulevard is pretty good mysti (starring Farrell and Knightley, she's still hot). It's usually on one of the Sky movie channels a few nights a week.

That reminds me now though, I also thoroughly enjoyed Bend it like Beckham...
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 30 Jul 2012, 9:10 pm

Yeah I like that film-Farrel was good i admit, But i obviously forget about his performance, which tells me it was only good or ok

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon 30 Jul 2012, 10:30 pm

That reminds me East is East is v good, as is Fever Pitch (as is all arsenal related stuff Very Happy).

Cari i do like curse of the wear rabbit but prefer chicken run and the wrong trousers which i think is genius

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by hornbloweroafc Mon 30 Jul 2012, 10:40 pm

Another film I liked when I was younger was 'Kes'!

The PE football match was brilliant!
hornbloweroafc
hornbloweroafc

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 30 Jul 2012, 10:41 pm

ID is a good film.

children of men is also a good high production film(usa and uk production, british novel- pd james, set in britain)

I will say it again as I dont think anyone has seen it- WILD BILL is class- A gritty brit film but with a slightly different 'funny' atmospshere.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 30 Jul 2012, 10:41 pm

Kes is class- but I remember it more from the book

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon 30 Jul 2012, 10:53 pm

Aint seen wild bill. Son of rambow is quite mad, weird and funny

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 30 Jul 2012, 11:04 pm

I will check out son of rambow.

How about these sentimental films

Boy in the striped pyjamas
atonment
the english patient
A constant gardner(class film!!)

others also not mentioned here

24 hour party people
human traffic
four lions
ghandi
the killing fields
a room with a view
a fish called wonder
borat
bruno
fish tank

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 31 Jul 2012, 7:53 am

See below

Last edited by Smirnoffpriest on Tue 31 Jul 2012, 8:11 am; edited 1 time in total

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 31 Jul 2012, 7:58 am

I forget that borat and bruno are british, as is the dictator i suppose, his comedy is a bit too offensive for me. Human traffic is awesome in loads of good locations in cardiff, i love the spliff politics part with howard marks. Id also forgotten about the boy in the striped pyjamas, really good film

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 31 Jul 2012, 8:10 am

Howard Marks is also another good film..

I didnt read the book before I watched the boy in the striped Pjamas- So it got to me. I can still remember the scenes when the kid is smelling the strench from those towers.. Moving stuff

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Mon 06 Aug 2012, 3:44 pm

Always struggle with top 10 lists but here goes (in no particular order):

Kind Hearts and Coronets
The Ladykillers
Trainspotting
The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp
The Red Shoes
The Lady Vanishes
Monty Python - Life of Brian
Chariots of Fire
The Italian Job
Gregory's Girl

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2