The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rate This Years Wimbledon

+8
User 774433
barrystar
Danny_1982
Jahu
JuliusHMarx
CaledonianCraig
luciusmann
hawkeye
12 posters

Go down

How Do You Rate This Years Wimbledon

Rate This Years Wimbledon Vote_lcap20%Rate This Years Wimbledon Vote_rcap 20% 
[ 3 ]
Rate This Years Wimbledon Vote_lcap0%Rate This Years Wimbledon Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Rate This Years Wimbledon Vote_lcap7%Rate This Years Wimbledon Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 1 ]
Rate This Years Wimbledon Vote_lcap20%Rate This Years Wimbledon Vote_rcap 20% 
[ 3 ]
Rate This Years Wimbledon Vote_lcap53%Rate This Years Wimbledon Vote_rcap 53% 
[ 8 ]

Total Votes : 15

Rate This Years Wimbledon Empty Rate This Years Wimbledon

Post by hawkeye Wed 04 Jul 2012, 10:16 pm

Rate this years Wimbledon? What do you think of it so far compared to recent years. To me it has been a little disappointing. There have been few close matches where both players play well. What have been the stand out matches? In terms of excitement IMO both Nadal v Rosal and Federer v Benneteau were good but I'm struggling to think of other quality matches. And of course there has been the endless rain...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Rate This Years Wimbledon Empty Re: Rate This Years Wimbledon

Post by luciusmann Wed 04 Jul 2012, 10:27 pm

Is 5* the best rating or 1* the best? Just because there's no indication of which is which.

Wimbledon started off unpredictably with Nadal's departure and then the next day Fed pretty close to leaving too but the second week has settled into a familiar pattern.

Just like at the other slams this year, at least 3/4 seeds are there. In fact things have settled into this very familiar pattern that has been there for the last few years. You have to dig back to RG 2010 when 3/4 top seed weren't there.

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 04 Jul 2012, 10:31 pm

I have voted five stars (if that is best). Sensational upsets (Nadal losing to Rosol), close matches such as Federer V Benneteau to name but a few, an improved set of performances by British players and some cracking late night drama.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed 04 Jul 2012, 10:35 pm

5 stars is the best. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 04 Jul 2012, 10:35 pm

Four stars for the tennis, one star for all the modding work necessary for the last 10 days Smile

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed 04 Jul 2012, 10:37 pm

JuliusHMarx. What matches did you enjoy that made you give Wimbledon top rating?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 04 Jul 2012, 10:45 pm

Rosol played out of his mind vs Rafa, Fed/Benne was dramatic, Murray's through with all his usual ups-and-downs, rain delays, roof/no roof, 11 o'clock finishes - all very entertaining. Would have preferred closer QFs.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Wed 04 Jul 2012, 11:11 pm

Ladies were fun to watch this year too. Quite some upsets.

5* from me.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Wed 04 Jul 2012, 11:20 pm

Awesome major so far. The Nadal shock of the century match which was a fantastic advert for tennis, Federer flirting with defeat in an epic 5 setter, Cilic and Querry in the second longest Wimbledon match ever, Murray's matches against Baggy (+the clock) and Ferrer have been great drama.

Plus finally some (relative) British success. Most of the drama has come in the Murray Nadal half to be fair, but that was the half loaded with top players so it was always going to be.

Sorry hawkeye, I know it's not been good for you with Rafa out but I think it's been sensational. And potentially some great matches still to come.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu 05 Jul 2012, 10:03 am

Very good Wimbledon - a big shock, a big wobble, some good play and an interesting tournament on the women's side too. Not quite A1 I'd say.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Thu 05 Jul 2012, 12:44 pm

The finish will be quite predictable though. The winner will pretty much definitely come from the top half of the draw, and I don't see Federer really troubling Djoko, I doubt it will even go to 5 sets.

At-least if it was Nadal-Djoko final it could be unpredictable- with Nadal winning his last 3 encounters against him but Djoko winning the last match on grass (last year).
I have a feeling this is going to be a huge anti-climax.

Let's see though... Tumbleweed

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu 05 Jul 2012, 12:56 pm

I've given it four stars. Fairly high on drama and reasonably high on standard of play. Roof has been a constant topic of conversation but has proved its worth this year. They'd have been well behind by now without it.
But, hey, if you didn't like Wimbledon they'll be another one along by the end of this month Very Happy

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 05 Jul 2012, 1:21 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:I have voted five stars (if that is best). Sensational upsets (Nadal losing to Rosol), Murray in the semi, close matches such as Federer V Benneteau to name but a few,Andy probably in the final, an improved set of performances by British players, Murray not having to play a top3 until the final, and some cracking late night drama with Andy winning.

completed. Wink

EDIT: Only messing of course, I have altered Craigs post to put in the bits I bet he thinks/hopes, but he didn't actually type the bits in italics. That's my artistic license.

Last edited by bogbrush on Thu 05 Jul 2012, 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 Jul 2012, 1:47 pm

This poll does beg for the 5* Nadal getting hit off the court remarks.

However, in fairness the quality of the tennis has not been that high. If you look beyond Federer v Fognini or Djokovic v Harrison and Murray v Cilic, it is hard to see beyond that any quality. Goffin has certainly improved his street cred, but it is littered with disappointing performances by the seeds. Isner, Tomic, Raonic, Lopez, Simon, Berdych all never got going.

A more positive note, the lower ranked Brits finally gave the partisan crowd something to cheer about. More because of the manner of their performances. It was shame Robson fell to Schiavone and that Ward fell to Fish. Watson gave the womens side a British feel for once.

I would give it 3.5*

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Thu 05 Jul 2012, 2:05 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:The finish will be quite predictable though. The winner will pretty much definitely come from the top half of the draw, and I don't see Federer really troubling Djoko, I doubt it will even go to 5 sets.

At-least if it was Nadal-Djoko final it could be unpredictable- with Nadal winning his last 3 encounters against him but Djoko winning the last match on grass (last year).
I have a feeling this is going to be a huge anti-climax.

Let's see though... Tumbleweed

It is interesting, I don't see Fed beating Djokovic but there have been many tipping Fed to cause a mini upset. I'm still uncertain but think I'll stick with Djokovic in 4 but as I've said elsewhere, I wouldn't be surprised if Fed wins in 4. It really depends on whether this encounter will be like the USO semi or the RG semi. Grass certainly is faster so it could be more like the USO but we won't know for sure until tomorrow. I doubt either Fed or Djokovic will want it to go to 5, especially Fed because after the USO experience it's become clear that going to a 5th is when Djokovic is most dangerous, he has to be finished off in 4, or 3 but not 5, far too risky.

I'm not entirely sure that a Nadal-Djokovic final would have been more unpredictable. There was the potential it could have been closer but Nadal's win against Djokovic recently were all on clay. We won't know now but it's unfortunate for Rafa, Wimbledon was one of his best chances after RG in the slams and he missed it. The USO could be one but it will be tricky if he's seeded #3 and faces Djokovic in the semis.

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Thu 05 Jul 2012, 2:29 pm

Nadal, Djoker and Federer should all retire.

Theyve made the slams a boring omnibus.

Allez Jo.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 05 Jul 2012, 2:31 pm

Thought I should point out that I was messing about with
Craigs post of course to put in the bits I bet he thinks/hopes, but he didn't actually type the bits in italics. That's my artistic license.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Thu 05 Jul 2012, 2:35 pm

Don't worry BB I think we all knew that!

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down