The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Everyones favourite second player?

+6
djlovesyou
socal1976
carrieg4
hawkeye
newballs
Tom_____
10 posters

Go down

Everyones favourite second player? Empty Everyones favourite second player?

Post by Tom_____ Fri 06 Jul 2012, 5:39 pm

Even though today i was cheering Murray on to reach a deserved wimbledon final, snap a 70 year lull and do what Henman never quite managed, i found myself saying so many times during that match:

"you just gotta love Tsonga"

Even though Nadal and Murray seem to be the two of the current top players that i prefer to watch/win; whoever he is playing, i always like watching Tsonga do well, play on adrenaline, dive and create from no-where. The guys so happy on court and humble win or lose. Had a chat to an old guy at work and he also likes Tsonga - it got me thinking, does everyone like Tsonga? You hear diehard fans on here of several players, quite often hating others, but Tsonga seems to always be a player people think fondly of and is certainly a player i always keep tabs on and always like to see win. He makes my list of '2nd' favourite players and i was wondering if he makes your list behind your preferred players? and if not, who else do you like to do well, behind the more obvious top players?

His Slam stats are also none-too-shabby with QFs at all 4, 3 SFs and a Final.

Also like to say i have a lot of time for Ferrer these days, his game has developed far beyond where it was and his should certainly be included in any discussion about high fitness.

Tom_____

Back to top Go down

Everyones favourite second player? Empty Re: Everyones favourite second player?

Post by newballs Fri 06 Jul 2012, 5:54 pm

Fsonga is a great guy.

Think about it. You've just been smacked in the crown jewels by Murray and (once the pain's subsided) you just get on with it accepting Murray's apologies with no hard feelings.

The on match point down he stands there smiling at net knowing there's a good chance the hawkeye review will end his Wimbledon hopes. Not a nasty bone in his body - a true gent.

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Fri 06 Jul 2012, 6:08 pm

Ha ha! Tom___ . Do you like Davydenko, Bagdhdatis and Cilic too? And maybe Karlovic a little bit but not that much?

newballs. Tsonga is a clown. He has little interest in winning. He just wants to make people happy.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Fri 06 Jul 2012, 6:13 pm

Always liked Tsonga - a great ambassador for the game.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom_____ Fri 06 Jul 2012, 6:16 pm

hawkeye wrote:Ha ha! Tom___ . Do you like Davydenko, Bagdhdatis and Cilic too? And maybe Karlovic a little bit but not that much?

newballs. Tsonga is a clown. He has little interest in winning. He just wants to make people happy.

Baggy i like a lot - he seems to have improved his fitness right now too. The others not so much, although i did think Donko deserved the YEC win a few years back.

You're very daft indeed if you don't think JWS wants to win, or in fact any of the top players. Maybe it would be good if you answered the question in the 1st post

Tom_____

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 06 Jul 2012, 6:22 pm

My second favorite is gasquet, just love his big flamboyant swings. Sometimes they get a little loopy and he steps to far back and gets punished for it, but his one hander is really a thing of beauty. Has great touch and feel as well.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Fri 06 Jul 2012, 6:28 pm

hawkeye wrote:

Tsonga is a clown. He has little interest in winning. He just wants to make people happy.

Little interest in winning? Are you just hurting because he lost to Murray today? You don't get to 5 in the world with 'little interest in winning'.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Fri 06 Jul 2012, 6:32 pm

I like The Fed; he's great to watch when everything is working. I also like Ferrer; his game bores me but he's such a nice guy. Also, I think he's a role model. He's not the biggest, not the strongest, not the best, but has still managed to get everything possible out of his game and always gives 110% (such a cliche but it's true).
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sat 07 Jul 2012, 3:39 am

Tsonga is always going to be a big favourite for the WAY he plays. Yes, there are gonna be the car-crash moments, the flow of UEs. But then there are the wonderfully athletic points at the nets, the musucular hitting and, of course, the big smile.
He comes across as something of a gentle giant off the court - softly spoken and generous. Ditto Ferrer (but, of course, without the "giant" part).

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 07 Jul 2012, 3:54 am

My second favourite is Gilles Simon. Don't know why, just really like the tennis he plays. Probably because it reminds me of how I play Tennis.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sat 07 Jul 2012, 4:03 am

Olly wrote:My second favourite is Gilles Simon. Don't know why, just really like the tennis he plays. Probably because it reminds me of how I play Tennis.
Great to know that somewhere out there there is a Giles Simon fan. Who'd have thought it?
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 07 Jul 2012, 4:08 am

bogbrush wrote:
Olly wrote:My second favourite is Gilles Simon. Don't know why, just really like the tennis he plays. Probably because it reminds me of how I play Tennis.
Great to know that somewhere out there there is a Giles Simon fan. Who'd have thought it?

*Gilles. Spell the great mans name right warning

I dunno why I like, just you know some people you warm to. And I agree with his comments on the fact men should get more prize money than women. But that's a different story Whistle
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down