The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most Inspirational Players ever?

+28
InjuredYetAgain
Rava
Hood83
Thomond
Casartelli
Cari
bedfordwelsh
tigertattie
Bullsbok
kiakahaaotearoa
nganboy
Dim
RuggerRadge2611
HongKongCherry
disneychilly
offload
propdavid_london
ScarletSpiderman
Taylorman
aucklandlaurie
Rory_Gallagher
kunu
dallym
Morgannwg
rodders
BigTrevsbigmac
Biltong
Geordie
32 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Most Inspirational Players ever? - Page 2 Empty Most Inspirational Players ever?

Post by Geordie Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:36 pm

First topic message reminder :

Theres been some inspirational players through the years - some may have been Captains due to their ability to get people to raise their game...some were just in amongst the troops doing unseen but vital work.

A few ideas -
Willie John McBride, Johnson , Bod, Fitzy, Eales, McCaw, Pienaar etc as Captains

The ponty front row lads, Richard Hill, Juan Smith, those that maybe dont always get the accolades but do the deeds that inspires their team mates.

Or the flair players...the ones like Cullen, Caucau, Williams, Robinson, Lomu that can pull out that magic just at the required time to lift your team.

Who would you pick as the two or three most insiprational players ever....

Last edited by GeordieFalcon on Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Most Inspirational Players ever? - Page 2 Empty Re: Most Inspirational Players ever?

Post by Casartelli Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:39 pm

Just to clarify - how are we defining 'inspirational'?

Or is this just a thread about good players? Cari aside, who is going off on a tangent of her own...

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Most Inspirational Players ever? - Page 2 Empty Re: Most Inspirational Players ever?

Post by Thomond Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:41 pm

In rugby Paul O'Connell for Ireland. I'd say all the Irish lads saw that documentary about the game btween Ireland v England in 2007, so feicing passionate. Pienaar seems to have been inspiring (Matt Damon however was not when playing him, solid but didn't wow anyone). Kearney seems to get the blood boiling among the lads ,Woody and Sexton too, even if it's usually against Munster the little feicer inspires.

Al Pacino's speech was quite inspirational in any given Sunday:
Spoiler:
I think it might be that they have microphones in their faces constantly but American sports stars seem to be more inspirational or at least given the platform to do it more often

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:44 pm

Casartelli wrote:Just to clarify - how are we defining 'inspirational'?

Or is this just a thread about good players? Cari aside, who is going off on a tangent of her own...

There you go Casartelli. Removed the comment just for you.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:48 pm

Inspirational? I wish Vince Karalius had played union as well as league.

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:49 pm

Cari wrote:
Casartelli wrote:Just to clarify - how are we defining 'inspirational'?

There you go Casartelli. Removed the comment just for you.

I feel bad now. It was quite an intriguing post.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:49 pm

No need for that Casartelli, players can be inspirational for different reasons, on or off the field. If he inspired Cari what differnce does it make?

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:53 pm

Just ignore him Thomond. It's fine. I'd incorrectly answered the original post anyway which was to name three of the most inspirational players. Seems Casartelli was unable to answer the question too.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:00 pm

Thomond wrote:No need for that Casartelli, players can be inspirational for different reasons, on or off the field. If he inspired Cari what differnce does it make?

Huh? I was just trying to clarify how we define 'inspirational'. I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that Cari was basing it on players that are physically attractive, as sometimes threads of this nature pop up on here. I apologize unreservedly if any misunderstanding resulted - but in my defence the post didn't explain exactly WHY Kearney inspires her. Need the deets sometimes.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:06 pm

Casartelli - just answer the original post instead of wumming as usual.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:10 pm

Cullen.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:53 pm

rodders wrote:Dusitoir is a great shout OK !

Agreed. He seems to be the ultimate big game player. He's one of those players I always wish was English when i see play.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:55 pm

For me the most inspirational player has to be Woodie.

It was in the eyes.
Spoiler:
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:06 pm

Andy Irvine, Keith Wood and Martin Johnston. I couldnt imagine not being inspired by the latter two's approach to the game. Andy Irvine was one of my early heroes who could win (or lose!) a game single handedly

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:07 pm

Rava
Good photo of Woodie. thing is forget the eyes I'd have more concern for his nuts.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:12 pm

Alan Whetton.

chin

Or was it Gary.

I could never telling the difference!

notworthy

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:31 pm

Rava wrote:For me the most inspirational player has to be Woodie.

It was in the eyes.
Spoiler:

Where is Gregan going with his hand there?! Very naughty boy. warning

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:32 pm

Gregan had great ball skills.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:45 pm

For the shortest no.8 in history Matt Damon was pretty inspirational.

Laurie Gary Whettons going to need to be inspirational during the blues coach interviews this week.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:48 pm

Taylorman
Not just GW, but also JK, but now apparently Kieren Crowley has his hat in the ring.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:36 pm

Thomond wrote:Al Pacino's speech was quite inspirational in any given Sunday:
Spoiler:
I think it might be that they have microphones in their faces constantly but American sports stars seem to be more inspirational or at least given the platform to do it more often
In the US, one of the great speeches was made in 1993 by a former college basketball coach, Jimmy Valvano (Jimmy V). He was a typical New York kid who grew up to coach the sport he loved and eventually coached North Carolina State University to one of the great upset victories in the US College Championship history. A terrific motivator, he was diagnosed with uncurable cancer whilst about 45 or 46 years old. He made the speech at the 1993 ESPY dinner, which is the annual US ESPN annual sports awards show. He had been in terrible pain and was supposed to receive the award sitting in his chair and only say thank you because he could barely walk. Then he gets up and talks. He lived for only another 8 weeks. I find it inspirational, in part because it is ordinary, grounded, funny, courageous, and emotive. And delivered by a good man. It is worth 10 minutes of your time.............

Jimmy V: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuoVM9nm42E

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:39 am

This is a vast question of the top of my head Scotland,Gordon Brown,Gavin Hastings,Ian McGeechan.
Wales Barry John,J.P.R.Williams,Gareth Edwards,perhaps the most in that era was the quiet man John Dawes.
England Wavell Wakefield,Ron Jacobs,Richard Sharp,Dickie Jeeps,Peter Jackson,Jeff Butterfield,Richard Hill,Bill Beaumont,Martin Johnson ,Neil Back,Jonny Wilkinson.
Ire land,Noel Murphy,Bill Mukcahy,Willie John Mc Bride,Mike Gibson,Tony O`
Reilly,Tony ward,Ollie Campbell.
France Jean Prat,Lucien Mias,Moncla,The Camberbero`s father and son,Guy Lescourbora,Pierre Albaledejo,Martine,The Boniface Brothers.
Argentina Hugo Porta and Dominguez.
Australia Des Connor[also as an All Black],John Eales,the Ellas,Greg Davis,Micheal Lynagh,Ken Catchpole,Campese,
South Africa Benny Osler,Gerry Brand,Danie Craven,Hennie Muller,Naas Botha,Vicrtor Matfield,Johan Claasen,Chris Koch, John Smit, Juan Smith, Schalke Burger.
New Zealand W.C.wallace,Dave Galleher,George Nepia,Mark Nichols,Bert Cooke,Cliff Porter,Freddie Allen,J.b.Smith,Bob Scott,Tiny White,Bob Duff,Kevin Skinner.Has Catley,BillClark,Ron Jarden,Wilson Whineray,Don Clarke,Pat Walsh,
Colin Meads,Sean Fitzpatrick,Kel Tremain.Michael Jones,Jonah Lomu,Stu Wilson,Geoff Wilson,Cullen,Jonah Lomu,Ali Williams,Gary Knight,Michael Jones, Dan Carter,Grant Fox,Carlos Spencer,Andrew Merthens,Rtchie Mc Caw.
They may not all have been the best,just that they inspired confidence around them.also Tana Umaga,Buck Shelford and Conrad Smith.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:15 am

aucklandlaurie wrote:
Taylorman
Not just GW, but also JK, but now apparently Kieren Crowley has his hat in the ring.

Yes I saw that..GW, Andy D and GH are the panel...JK, Crowley and Pat Lam are the interviewees.

Kirwans the obvious choice and is an Auckland legend and probably close mates with the entire panel.
And when JK interviews nearly half the room will be Knights for heavens sakes...! king

I just question whether hes the tough type the Blues need. Although he'll get respect, for Lam that wasnt enough. The Blues need to start with the tough slash and burn phase that Hammet took on with no guaranteed results and for Kirwan that would be a change to his methodology and is not what hes best at. He did bring higher standards and a focus on attack to Japan etc but Auckland have part of the latter anyway- perhaps too much of it- he could steer them better there thats for sure.

Henry will be looking for ways to halt the flow to league in Auckland also.

Just dunno if the timings right for JK. There are real problems in Auckland and fast tough talk AND action is required..

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:27 am

I'm in Munster visiting friends at the moment. We were discussing the same.

Nick Popplwell

Peter "the Claw" Clohessy

Mick Galway

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2