The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chinny Chin Chin!

+9
manos de piedra
Sugar Boy Sweetie
eddyfightfan
Volcanicash
tunes666
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
mobilemaster8
azania
davidemore
13 posters

Go down

Chinny Chin Chin! Empty Chinny Chin Chin!

Post by davidemore Sun 15 Jul 2012, 2:05 pm

What a shame.

I wanted Amir to win this, and not just because i bet on the fight.

All that horrible talk from the Garcia camp REALLY had me rooting for Khan.

But alas, he cannot swim.

I'm going to watch the fight again before i spout off my opinions, but before i do i wanted to ask you wise souls this question?

Where does Amir Khan go from here?

He has issues with his chin, we can't deny this any longer. Fighters who take him on will know this, fighters who take him on will look to expose this fact. So, can he continue to operate at world level?

No, IMO. But we'll see.

More to come from emore...

Last edited by davidemore on Sun 15 Jul 2012, 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Chinny Chin Chin! Empty Re: Chinny Chin Chin!

Post by azania Sun 15 Jul 2012, 2:07 pm

He goes home. Fights in England, builds up some confidence with a new trainer and comes back to beat whoever beats Paulie and then beats Brook in an all british encounter where Brook will display some personality prior to the fight and lose badly.

He'll leave 140 and the 140 guys (Peterson and Garcia) will chase him. Khan delivers exciting fights so will always be wanted by TV.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun 15 Jul 2012, 3:20 pm

it was a massive shame last night. But what a night of boxing for the fans.

Have to give it to the Hayemaker. I thought Chisora was going to win by grinding him down and stopping him late.

This looked to be the case as Haye was REALLY starting to blow hard. How on earth Del Boy even stood up after that first crushing left to the chin is beyond me. Power and Speed is there, needs to work on stamina.

As for Khan, well, where do we start?!

The first 3 rounds were exactly what i though they would be. Complete domination from Khan. Garcia was swollen, bleeding from nose and mouth, and had a cut. He was landing a few low blows as well probably out of frustration.

Then Khans "amateur" style made a shock appearance when he dropped his hands for a left uppercut without protecting his right side of his face.

Garcia, whilst eating punches, closed his eyes, whacked an overhand left hoping for the best, and BANG. Game over.

Complete luck shot, but like Khan said after, one shot will change a fight, blind shot or not.

For me Khan needs to move up to WW and do the following:

Pauli Malignaggi - Easiest way back to a title against a slick but light puncher

Kell Brook - Defend world title in domestic showdown

Mayweather - Fight the P4P king at Wembley to finish career on top.

He could move up to WW and be fantastic. Chin could hold up with extra meat on neck and legs, could generate more power and keep the speed?

Remember, Lennox Lewis was knocked out twice and avenged both defeats. Khan has now suffered the same, but is young enought to come back.

I hate Garcias dad.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 15 Jul 2012, 3:22 pm

mobilemaster8 wrote:it was a massive shame last night. But what a night of boxing for the fans.

Have to give it to the Hayemaker. I thought Chisora was going to win by grinding him down and stopping him late.

This looked to be the case as Haye was REALLY starting to blow hard. How on earth Del Boy even stood up after that first crushing left to the chin is beyond me. Power and Speed is there, needs to work on stamina.

As for Khan, well, where do we start?!

The first 3 rounds were exactly what i though they would be. Complete domination from Khan. Garcia was swollen, bleeding from nose and mouth, and had a cut. He was landing a few low blows as well probably out of frustration.

Then Khans "amateur" style made a shock appearance when he dropped his hands for a left uppercut without protecting his right side of his face.

Garcia, whilst eating punches, closed his eyes, whacked an overhand left hoping for the best, and BANG. Game over.

Complete luck shot, but like Khan said after, one shot will change a fight, blind shot or not.

For me Khan needs to move up to WW and do the following:

Pauli Malignaggi - Easiest way back to a title against a slick but light puncher

He could move up to WW and be fantastic. Chin could hold up with extra meat on neck and legs, could generate more power and keep the speed?

Remember, Lennox Lewis was knocked out twice and avenged both defeats. Khan has now suffered the same, but is young enought to come back.

I hate Garcias dad.

No luck with that shot. He did it against Morales and was trying it against Khan up until it landed.

Its not his chin but his temple. Hit him high on the head and he dances.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 15 Jul 2012, 3:43 pm

I'm not are going to welterweight is such a good idea for him. He is 5'10 but isn't what I'd call a big LWW. He came into the ring weighing 148 which isn't that much given Garcia KO is also of average size came in at 150.

He doesn't take shots very well and if he bulks up he could lose the one thing he has an abundance of, speed. He has a style now, it will be too difficult for him imo even with a new trainer to really change or alter his style.

He will win another title, but will also have a couple of defeats along the way. He is leagues above domestic/euro level so will probably only have 1 or 2 easy fights before fighting for a title.

Garcia may be heavy handed but if khan can't take his power than the likes of brook, Ortiz, Berto etc will all be able to knock him out. He bossed Garcia but in the 3rd Garcia was actually doing pretty well landing good body shots and countering well. Garcia fights a lot like brook but brook has faster hands and hits a little harder.

Khan also doesn't hit very hard at 140 and is an accumulation fighter so natural welterweights would be able through him

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Sun 15 Jul 2012, 6:31 pm

mobilemaster8 wrote:

No luck about it, you could see from the go that Garcia was trying to counter Khan with powerful shots, but he was missing and Khan started to pick him off... But by the 3rd round you saw Garcia slipping and blocking Khans attacks and he was still throwing dangerous counters, granted he was missing most of them and Khan was blocking allot, But there was nothing lucky about the left that knocked him down, Great left hook counter punch.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by Volcanicash Sun 15 Jul 2012, 8:18 pm

Couldn't help but think something was going to happen after watching the prefight build up. I know you can't take it for granted but seeing the way Khan fought so wildly in sparring and getting tagged way to frequently, arguing with his conditioning coach(with Roach nowhere to be seen) about his instructions saying it wasn't exciting, and then at the press conference declaring he's going to ko Garcia, I couldn't get warning signs.

That said, Khan clearly dominated the first 2 and 3/4 rounds, although Garcia was countering well and looked threatening It took me by complete surprise how he found that left hook which again exposed Khan's vulnerabilities.

Although roach has revitalised Khan I think its now time to consider getting a new trainer who is with him 24/7. Khan has improved but he still needs to address his defensive frailties, its well and good having blistering hand speed but if your footmovement and defence is average your going to struggle. I'd like to see him join Manny steward who would no doubt improve his defence and use his jab more efficiently and get him to utilise his strengths, or maybe get Robert Mckracken on board another excellent trainer. Either way if he's to recover from this he needs a fulltime trainer and address his recurrent issues.

Volcanicash

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 15 Jul 2012, 8:48 pm

Whenever Khan walks into the ring alarm bells ring. Its edge of seat stuf and wildly exciting. He is good to watch. Other than that stupidly boring Irish chap, have you seen Khan in a boring fight?

For his sake he needs to change trainers imo and adpt a more safety first approach. But that will hurt his fan base.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Volcanicash Sun 15 Jul 2012, 9:10 pm

Re: Azania

Yes the Kotelnik fight, lol. Although Khan good defensively in that fight it wasn't that exciting with Kotelnik only throwing about 20 punches a round!

I don't think he needs to make wholesale changes and improving defence doesn't necessarily mean he'll be less exciting as he will always have his vulnerabilities, which he has to do if he's going to progress any furthur! OK

Volcanicash

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 15 Jul 2012, 9:34 pm

Khan fought at distance, darted in and out and schooled him. That performance is often over looked especially in light of the robberies Kot endured against Alexander.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sun 15 Jul 2012, 9:45 pm

khans gung ho attitude when hurt needs to be ironed out if he hopes of competing at a top level. i think a new trainer is needed, freddy has done all he can do for him. i think a fight with ortiz (both coming of losses), brook (looked beatable against jones), morales or paulie are all possibilitys for khan next.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 15 Jul 2012, 9:54 pm

I doubt a fight with Ortiz would work for either guy. Too much to lose. He needs a confidence booster. Matty Hatton. Good enough for Canelo and Brook, good enough for Khan.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Sun 15 Jul 2012, 10:12 pm

mobilemaster:

-----------------
He's already beaten Paulie once on his comeback trail from Prescott. How many times does khan have to take an easy option against a light puncher to restore some self confidence and fan faith before people realise he's just not that good? Brook could be a decent fight but would only have domestic appeal, khan likes to think of himself as a bit of a boxing name in the states but there'd be no interest from the Americans in such a fight as Brook has no profile there. As for mayweather, I've said it over and over - its never gonna happen. Khan can't get to a level in terms of his stock and profile that he needs to be at to get mayweather in the ring. He and his team have been a bit cynical in their approach ie trying to hang on for khan to be peak and mayweather to be old, piggybacking on pbf's name. Khan is so fixated on mayweather he's looked past his last two opponents and paid the price. And finally, mayweather would absolutely take khan to school, khan is so easy to hit when he's bombing forward with his wild flurries it's ridiculous - he leaves him self wide open and a master counter puncher like floyd would nail him every time. Easy easy ko win for mayweather, I really don't know where khans fans ever got the idea that he would be a challenge to floyd. Amir has just been getting ahead if himself with this dream fight, but now he's got to rebuild again so let's wheel malignaagi out for another dance.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Sun 15 Jul 2012, 11:22 pm

I actually would like to see a rematch, although I cant see Garcia granting one. I thought Khan would possibly win this inside 6 rounds initially and he started like I expected him too. He was boxing well and really using his handspeed to beat Garcia to the punch. Then he got caught and never recovered.

I thought it was a bit strange becuase while Khan will never have a granite chin, his fights with Maidana and Peterson did seem to indicate he had improved in the durability department. He had to soak up punishemnt in those fights. Is Garcia really a big puncher? I didnt think so originally. I mean the shots Maidana hit Khan with seemed just a strong. And I would have really thought Maidana was a bigger pucher than Garcia. Maybe Ariza is actually valuable because Khan didnt look as strong in this fight as he had previously.

Seemed to me that Khan just got overly drawn into the exchanges with Garcia and his durability let him down, when he should have remained focus on moving in and out constantly. Was this just a case of Garcia landing the "punchers chance" punch? Or was Khan losing inneviteable? Im not sure....

But its a bad, bad loss for Kahn.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sun 15 Jul 2012, 11:36 pm

maybe mcclosky or prescott will get a rematch.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 16 Jul 2012, 12:02 am

A rematch with Garcia further down the line, despite the over-blown reaction this result has created, isn't really that far fetched. Right now, however, I'd say that Khan needs to forget about jumping straight back in to world title fights.

I have little doubt that he could beat Maidana, Malignaggi and Bailey, all so-called 'world champions' at either Welter or Light-Welter, if matched immediately with them. But this isn't the time to be looking at an easy fix to mask the problems he has in his arsenal. No doubt plenty will shout that there's little point, as he'll never be able to eradicate them - however, I'm still mindful that, after that shocking loss to Prescott in 2008, not many would have even backed Khan to have had a career approaching the one he subsequently has. He's proven a lot of people wrong before, and it could yet be in his capabilities to do so again. It's a funny old sport, but if anyone seriously suggests that, at just twenty-five, he should be calling it a day after what he's achieved up until this point, then I'd question their understanding of the sport and their stance regarding Khan.

Rather, I'd probably prefer to see him stay at 140 lb for now and take on two or three European-level fighters, but trying out new things - he needs to leave behind this obsession with how people will perceive him if he doesn't fight in an 'exciting' style, which is something he seems far too caught up in. It seems his ego just won't let him fight sensibly at pressure moments. Take on a few European level Light-Welters, don't worry about looking sensational against them, just use those fights as ways of trying out a high guard for the full twelve, looking to operate on the counter (something he should try more often, given his hand speed), learning how to fight in the pocket and muscle his way through the exchanges etc.

Someone like Shafikov for the European title (that'd be a very decent work out, I feel, but one I'd expect him to get through) or maybe even a tough old nut like Corley, just as a 'take stock' fight to try some new tactics and strategies, wouldn't be a bad filler between now and mid 2013.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Mon 16 Jul 2012, 12:17 am

Depends if people now decide the bull rush him, because they know that one good shot on the chin finishes him.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by qc2 Mon 16 Jul 2012, 10:00 am

I've not heard many mention the absence of Ariza from his camp. How much of an impact would a different strength coach make? Granite his chin never was but from the sounds of it his ability take a shot has seemingly deteriorated.

I'm just speculating given the amount of attention Ariza and his work gets. I'm not one to make excuses for Khan; I'm with the view he's a talented boxer but can't/doesn't stick to a game plan, has too many technical flaws and talks a lot of garbage. I will undoubtedly follow his career however as he is almost always involved in entertaining fights

Quince

qc2

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Mon 16 Jul 2012, 10:12 am

QC. Ariza doesnt make Khan a priority, when they were in LA then they could afford to focus on two or three qt once but now they are in mexico, phillipines and etc I think its not working for Khan

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down