The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

South Africa preparation

+4
Biltong
VTR
Fists of Fury
bradman99.94
8 posters

Go down

South Africa preparation Empty South Africa preparation

Post by bradman99.94 Mon 16 Jul - 13:39

Gary Kirsten suggests in a very good Guardian article today, that time in the middle in English conditions isn’t as important as ‘mental readiness’ and points to the experience of his players in our conditions as proof. He says that a team can only prepare for a Test Match by playing Test Matches and not by ‘…playing friendly first class matches against the counties……the lack of intensity in these matches takes the edge of your game’
I don’t know on whose wish the SA’s warm up games were centred but I would have thought two ‘proper’ 4 day games, with one of them against the Lions and therefore intensity guaranteed, would have been excellent preparation and much better than a two day ‘play as many players as you like’ followed by a three day game, which at least had the benefit of 11 players a side.
I think it’s a very brave team indeed that are prepared to face England’s attack on a (very probably) overcast morning without two full matches behind them.

I want England to win, of course, but I wouldn’t want the series to be wrapped up quickly and easily because SA are badly ‘under-cooked’

bradman99.94

Back to top Go down

South Africa preparation Empty Re: South Africa preparation

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 16 Jul - 14:33

I don't think we need to worry about England rolling them, Bradman.

It'll be incredibly tight, I imagine, whether undercooked or not.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Mon 16 Jul - 16:29

I think GK has got a point. People go on about England's preparation for the last Ashes but lets not forget the First Test there didn't exactly go well until that probably never to be repeated second innings. You just can't replicate a Test match - even if you played against a strong second string it would be in front of a small crowd and a much lesser team

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 17 Jul - 6:47

Maybe their preparedness is less of a worry to me than their form.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by bradman99.94 Tue 17 Jul - 8:33

Well yes, I’m sure a player can at once be both out of form but well prepared but I would ask how you can assess their form given that all they’ve played in England is a two day knockabout and a very rain affected three dayer?

bradman99.94

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 17 Jul - 11:24

Bradmann, Dale Steyn's form has been dipping slowly but surely over the past number of test matches, Morkel showed good form in the IPL, but then that is another format all together, during ou last few test series he bowled well enough but didn't get the results.

From what I have read here, Philander's perfomances in County cricket hasn't been all that impressive and he was down on pace, now usually he would bowl at around 132 km/h if that is in the 120's then it could spell danger for SA, remember how ineffective Shaun Pollock was in the latter stages of his career when his speed dipped to 125?

smith is in poor form and has been for some time.

So yeah, not scintilating form by a number of stalwarts.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by protea438 Tue 17 Jul - 20:23

biltongbek wrote:Bradmann, Dale Steyn's form has been dipping slowly but surely over the past number of test matches, Morkel showed good form in the IPL, but then that is another format all together, during ou last few test series he bowled well enough but didn't get the results.

From what I have read here, Philander's perfomances in County cricket hasn't been all that impressive and he was down on pace, now usually he would bowl at around 132 km/h if that is in the 120's then it could spell danger for SA, remember how ineffective Shaun Pollock was in the latter stages of his career when his speed dipped to 125?

Biltong I sometimes wonder when reading your posts, If you are actually a South African supporter. You are always quick to put down our players and think the worst

protea438

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 17 Jul - 20:37

protea438 wrote:
biltongbek wrote:Bradmann, Dale Steyn's form has been dipping slowly but surely over the past number of test matches, Morkel showed good form in the IPL, but then that is another format all together, during ou last few test series he bowled well enough but didn't get the results.

Biltong I sometimes wonder when reading your posts, If you are actually a South African supporter. You are always quick to put down our players and think the worst
Protea I am a realist, I don't like to BS myself.

You see I leave the blowing smoke up each others backsides for others, and expect the best out of our teams, when I see something that concerns me I am not afraid to say it.

Can you tell me where you disagree with my asessment?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Tue 17 Jul - 21:10

biltongbek wrote:
protea438 wrote:

You see I leave the blowing smoke up each others backsides for others, and expect the best out of our teams, when I see something that concerns me I am not afraid to say it.

Spot on Biltong, just as your issues concern you as regards to the SA team, as do mine with the current topic regarding KP do with the England team, but for different reasons.

Let's just hope for scintillating cricket all-round and may the best team win.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 17 Jul - 21:32

Yeah skyeman, I think building up a team without regard to the realities will only bring disappointment.

I hope I am proven wrong, Dr Ali Bacher was interviewing Greame Smith just before the tour an smith mentioned he may not captain for much longer but he still wants to achieve a lot as a batsman, so his hunger is still there, and above all else, that to me is the one ingredient you cannot succeed without.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by protea438 Wed 18 Jul - 9:36

biltongbek wrote:
protea438 wrote:

Well your comment regarding Steyn is a bit harsh -there is only so many wickets a bowler can take in a match (with philander on the other end).

There is a difference being windgat/arrogant and being positive. Personally I wouldnt be surprised if the Proteas win this.

I have noticed with South Africans we are always quick to say "If player x from opposing team play well we are stuffed", for a change why dont we say "If our players play well the opposition will be in trouble". There is no guarantee that each and every England batsmen will score mountains of runs

protea438

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 18 Jul - 9:55

Protea, I didn't mention the english at all.

Steyn in his last 3 test series.

Australia 66 overs - 9 wickets - S/R - 44
Sri Lanka - 104 overs - 14 wickets - S/R 44.5
NZ - 100 overs - 9 wickets - S/R 66 - average

His S/R prior to the last 3 test series - 39.5
For these 3 series - 52.5

Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by protea438 Wed 18 Jul - 10:46

biltongbek wrote:Protea, I didn't mention the english at all.

Steyn in his last 3 test series.

Australia 66 overs - 9 wickets - S/R - 44
Sri Lanka - 104 overs - 14 wickets - S/R 44.5
NZ - 100 overs - 9 wickets - S/R 66 - average

His S/R prior to the last 3 test series - 39.5
For these 3 series - 52.5

I still think you are being harsh and unrealistic. So Steyn has to take 5 wicket hauls every innings at 19 on the flattest wickets

protea438

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 18 Jul - 10:49

Protea, I watched these tests, Steyn looked frustrated and out of ideas at times, he had spells where you could see he just didn't know how or what to do to get into it.

And by the way, I said he is slowly but surely losing form, I didn't say he is bad.

I think you are being over protective here.

Call a concern when you see it man, rather than believing everything is going to be a ok.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Wed 18 Jul - 10:52

Divisions in the South African ranks of 606 v2 posters Smile Good sign?

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Wed 18 Jul - 11:07

Shelsey93 wrote:Divisions in the South African ranks of 606 v2 posters Smile Good sign?
Laugh

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Wed 18 Jul - 12:18

If SA bat first in the morning and at lunch they are 90 odd for 0, the preparation will not even be mentioned but if Bressy, Anderson and Broad can keep them to 60-3 then all we will hear about from some of the media is that SA were under-prepared.

It is alway's the way.

Big, big session in the morning and depending on the conditions, the flip of the coin will be all important.

And talking of preparation, i am getting ready for a big weekend of sport - Cricket, The Open, Formula 1 and history in the making in Le Tour. Very Happy

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 18 Jul - 13:05

Shelsey93 wrote:Divisions in the South African ranks of 606 v2 posters Smile Good sign?
Well there are only two of us.

So every time we disagree it will be the great devide. Whistle
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down