The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: Open Championship / True South Classic: Notes from the Ballwasher

+40
Josiah Maiestas
Biltong
Dave.
ralphjohn69
monty junior
detones
1GrumpyGolfer
JPX
lorus59
Doon the Water
AlciG
sandy_trap
Diggers
beninho
princedracula
Redrage
super_realist
Leff
mystiroakey
incontinentia
LastDamnation
navyblueshorts
raycastleunited
John Cregan
bluestonevedder
WillyGilly
pedro
barragan
Fader
EmmDee57
robopz
hend085
NedB-H
GPB
Shotrock
Tinmar
sirbenson
dynamark
McLaren
kwinigolfer
44 posters

Page 12 of 16 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: Open Championship / True South Classic: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 12 Empty PGA Tour: Open Championship / True South Classic: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:55 am

First topic message reminder :

1).Well done Zach Johnson, winning the John Deere Classic after you tried hard to throw it away on the first play-off hole. Second win of the season for Zach who is on the Board of the tournament and has done so much to ensure its place on the PGA Tour schedule - reminiscent of Carl Pettersson's win at Greensboro a few years ago in that respect.

2).This win doesn't arithmetically ensure Zach Johnson of a place on Davis Love's Ryder Cup Team, but he and DLIII are near neighbours on the Georgia coast, have worked together to help create "The McGladrey Classic", and it would be a huge surprise if his John Deere success doesn't clinch a spot at Medinah.

3).Troy Matteson came way too close to winning last week's John Deere Classic, leading as he did every day, to throw it all away on his first play-off hole. He would have been the first player to win a Tour event in which he finished last in driving accuracy for 24 years! But he putted for his dough, leading the field in "strokes gained - putting". Sometime College Teammate of Kuchar and Molder, among others.

4).Open Championship week, then, and let's hope Royal Lytham gets the Champion it deserves. Rather like Carnoustie did in 1999, or so Davis Love thought:
"When you have a screwy setup, you're going to get a screwy finish," Love was quoted as saying. "And if Paul Lawrie is the champion that Scotland wanted, I think they got exactly what they wanted."
The R&A get exactly what they want on Thursday, 8.31 a.m. BST, when Lawrie and Love tee it up together with Tim Clark!

5).Let's see who's done well in the past at Lytham:
1996 result:
1st: Lehman
2nd: Els
11th: Darren Clarke, Vijay Singh
14th: Duval
18th: Harrington
22nd: Woods, Stricker
27th: Broadhurst (also 58th and Leading Amateur in 1988 - hope he plays well this week, will never get the credit he deserves for his 1991 Ryder Cup play.)
41st: Calc, Mickelson
Also made the cut: Hamilton, Furyk, Allenby, Ames, Lyle, Daly, Goosen

6).2001 result:
1st: Duval
3rd: Els, Clarke, Jimenez
9th: Garcia
13th: Vijay, Goosen, Jacquelin
21st: DLIII
23rd: Michael Campbell, Greg Owen
25th: Woods
29th: Barry Lane
30th: Cink, Mickelson, Rose
37th: Harrington
42nd: Stricker, Paul Lawrie
Also made the cut: Allenby, Scott, Westwood, Calc, Lyle.

7).The last two Major winners won Majors their namesakes had won, Watson and Simpson. Sadly Jarrod Lyle won't be maintaining the tradition as he battles leukemia in Australia. But Aussie Luke Elvy tweets a promising update on Jarrod's condition:
"Has had his ups and downs over the past 6 weeks but Bone Marrow tests overnight showed no leukemia cells. Great news."
Get well, Jarrod, hope to see you on Tour soon.

8).No idea who'll win this week, fingers crossed though for Westwood and Harrington. Obviously Els, Clarke and Vijay have played well here in the past, but, Woods apart, it's difficult to see where any American challenge might come from. (Interesting take in USA Today on David Toms' non-participation: "He's pulled out of the British on several occasions due to injury and general disinterest."!)
Apart from the golden oldies, Woods, Stricker, Furyk and Phil, the leading Americans in the owgr have little to show for their trips to The Open, Dustin Johnson, Fowler, Mahan and Watney scoring the only 5 top 15's.

9).Hate disclaimers but this week's "opposite field event", the True South Classic in Mississippi, has been abandoned by PGA Tour players in their droves, very few of the owgr top 200 bothering to show up for a $540K first prize. Players are withdrawing by the dozen and it seems futile to speculate too much about the event. If they don't care, why should we?

Except to say that it's a BIG tournament for Gary Christian and Russell Knox, not to mention the ailing Richard S.Johnson and a golfer with an excellent record in Lytham Opens, Alex Cejka - a cut for Cejka this week will earn him PGA Tour "Veteran" status as he reaches 150 career cuts. Good luck Alex, but a poor reward for a first-time sponsor and a Jack Nicklaus course that the players rate more highly than Torrey Pines, Doral, Bay Hill and the Greenbrier.

10).Finally, Majors may be two-a-penny on the Champions Tour, two-in-Michigan even, but Sundridge Park's Roger Chapman won't be complaining as he added the US Senior Open title to the Senior PGA he won a few weeks ago. Two fingers, then, to the USGA who only saw fit to invite five Europeans (Hogberg went through qualifying) to their Senior Open which is even more of a closed shop than the Champions Tour. Pathetic.

Roger Chapman won't mind though as he will be at Kiawah Island for next month's PGA Championship, and joins Lee Westwood in being the first two Englishmen to punch their tickets to next year's US Open at Merion.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Open Championship / True South Classic: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 12 Empty Re: PGA Tour: Open Championship / True South Classic: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by barragan Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:12 am

Ernie has it now methinks

barragan

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Open Championship / True South Classic: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 12 Empty Re: PGA Tour: Open Championship / True South Classic: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by mystiroakey Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:14 am

adam scot are you sure your not english?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:14 am

Never have I seen a players career hang in the balance like this. Scott is finished if he makes bogey up the last.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:15 am

Exactly 10 years ago that Ernie won his last major, and it was the Open. thumbsup

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:17 am

McLaren wrote:Never have I seen a players career hang in the balance like this. Scott is finished if he makes bogey up the last.

What a ridiculous overreaction. It means he may not win a major but his career wouldn't be over!
Still in witha chance

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:17 am

Ernie Els was my original favourite when I started watching golf, would love if he could get this final success!
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:17 am

I must admit i was hoping to see that land a little further away.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:18 am

Wow! More nerve-wrecking drama. He has a chance to take it to playoff. Normally, he should make this putt, but will he with so much pressure?

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:18 am

Fader

To loose a five shot lead when you have already underachieved would be difficult to come back from.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:20 am

1GrumpyGolfer wrote:Game over now. Ernie with a valiant effort

I stop watching for a few minutes oh to find Scott Wee weeing it away and Ernie making a putt to put the pressure well and truly on. Don't I feel a muppet now Doh

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:22 am

Ernie elevates himself to an all time great. Well done ernie.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:22 am

Congratulations, Ernie. clap

Scott must be cursing missing that easy putt on the 15th.

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:23 am

YeeeeeeeeeeeeeesSSSS!!

Mon the Saffies!!
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:23 am

wow.. unlucky adam!! i feel for ya man- i trhink the problem was he has no pressure on him at all untill the last 2 holes because none of his challengers did a thing.

well done ernie- your majors allways looked abit short. I did say he was gonna win another earlier this week

Last edited by mystiroakey on Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:23 am; edited 1 time in total

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:23 am

Ernieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wow! Didn't really expect to see that.....

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:24 am

Much as I like Ernie, I like Scott too. He must be feeling crushed now.

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:24 am

Mac, I understand that but his career is not over he has many more years ahead but I agree not winning today will most likely mean not winning one, as not gonna have a better chance.

But.................

Well done Ernie with that back 9 no-one deserved it more

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:25 am

very normanesc

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:25 am

Blimey.

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:27 am

Adam is just too laid back to ever grab the opportunity I feel. A worthy top tenner but not a major winner!

ERNIE! thumbsup
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:28 am

Good day for Saffers in golf and cricket.

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:31 am

weekend leaderboard

ELS , Ernie 136
COLSAERTS, Nicolas 137
NOREN, Alexander 138
SINGH, Vijay 138
JOHNSON, Dustin 139
DONALD, Luke 140
OGILVY, Geoff 140
JIMENEZ, Miguel Angel 140
POULTER, Ian 140
MAHAN, Hunter 140
BALDWIN, Matthew 140
FOWLER, Rickie 140
CALCAVECCHIA, Mark 141
JOHNSON, Zach 141
OOSTHUIZEN, Louis 141
WATNEY, Nick 141
WOODLAND, Gary 141
BRADLEY, Keegan 141
MCDOWELL, Graeme 142
HAAS, Bill 142
WATSON, Bubba 142
FURYK, Jim 142
CHOI, KJ 142
SCOTT, Adam 143
WOODS, Tiger 143

You cant play that far off the pace over the weekend and win.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:32 am

My,my, I said yesterday 6 shots behind I just expect a good showing, but fantastic for Ernie, I am chuffed to bits.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:35 am

Four consecutive bogeys on 15-18. This wasn't just bad luck. Scott is still relatively young, but opportunities like this don't come often.

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:36 am

poulter and donald have very good final 36 major records recently- they just need to sort out the start and game on!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:37 am

Ernie must be one of the most liked among the players. He looks to be friendly with everybody.

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:44 am

Ernie!!! Wonderful Open Champion.

It's certainly not easy to bag your first major and I feel for Scott. Opportunities like this don't come along often.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by AlciG Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:46 am

Damn... I've never seen Stevie Williams choke this bad

AlciG

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:50 am

Have to say classy interviews from both players. Great humility imo from Ernie in his speach and a classy nod to Adam Scotts talent by Ernie.

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:51 am

Stunning result!
Bet Steve Williams is even more devastated than Adam.
Would be poetic justice if Ernie now stiffed the Masters or, even better, wins a couple.
Wonderful tournament.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:54 am

Mysti - Well, if they actually want to win a major Donald, Poulter, (and a host of others) do indeed need to sort things out. Finishing top 5 is all well and good but absolutely never in the mix today - and as we saw that pressure does strange things to a swing.

Wonder caddie Stevie Williams certainly not a difference maker today.

I've met Ernie, our club hosts a fundraiser for his charity. A class guy through and through. What a great story.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:55 am

In Sportsville's Open competition, I see that 5 people picked Ernie Els. OK

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:57 am

Absolutely gutted for Scott... Who is that women that is doing the interviews for BBC? She is absolutely horrendous!!

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:58 am

Ernie always had the golf, now he is relaxed and not expected to win I would not disagree with Kwinni that he could win a few more.

As they say the tournament starts on the last 9 holes.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:11 am

Sand wrote:Absolutely gutted for Scott... Who is that women that is doing the interviews for BBC? She is absolutely horrendous!!

She is clueless.............Scott just laughed at her when she said "what went wrong, was it those three bogeys in a row"!!
Ridiculous interviews before the round also.....talking to Luke Donald as if he was still a contender......................

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:15 am

Woods really looked injured..........still not sure how he shot 73.............

Really gutted for Scott.................don't think ive ever seen such a collapse allied to Els almost flawless Back 9....................pity he didn't make a play off..................

Still, no broom handle has ever won a major................

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:24 am

A bit of a pity (for me) that I didn't see more of Ernie whilst on-site on Friday... I think all we caught was him finishing up on 18. Very enjoyable day and championship as a whole.

Presumably this means Mr Els will be automatically eligible for quite a few majors to come? I suspect that missing the Masters this year has really motivated him.

And presumably there will be more calls to ban belly putters.

Finally, I think we can just about say that the "major albatross slam" is still on given that Sneds managed the feat in practice? That's 4 in 3 majors so far including practice rounds I think (Oosthuizen, Quiros [practice], Watney, Snedeker [practice]).

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:47 am

... actually another thought - Ernie will be "double defending champion" next year (for previous year and previous staging at Muirfield). That'll be cool for him.

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:52 am

Shotrock wrote:Mysti - Well, if they actually want to win a major Donald, Poulter, (and a host of others) do indeed need to sort things out. Finishing top 5 is all well and good but absolutely never in the mix today - and as we saw that pressure does strange things to a swing.

Wonder caddie Stevie Williams certainly not a difference maker today.

I've met Ernie, our club hosts a fundraiser for his charity. A class guy through and through. What a great story.

they never are in the mix thats the key point, they need to be or they cant win!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:54 am

Ells has been in the mix all year- its a great story really. not one other player in contention would have holed that putt down the last. One of the last(with tiger) truely classy golfers. The only ones i can see being close to that level from today is donald and mcilroy- but they need to step up

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:14 am

mysti

Donald is an average - but very consistent player - in the grand scheme of the game. He has shown nothing to suggest he will win one major let alone the 4 that ernie has.

I have often said that ernie would be disappointed to have only won three majors, I am not so sure he will feel the same about 4. Given his talent I still think 5 majors would have been par for his career. He now only sits at +1 and could easily win the masters next year.

Tiger is still +4 for career majors and currently unable to drive and also potentially injured. Anyone know what the Kiawah set up will be like?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:19 am

i agree that els only winning 3 wasnt worthy of him at all(and i have been saying for a few months how much he has got back close to his peak level and that he will feature in more majors). But donald is far from average, he couldnt have shown much more bar the major arena that he will win 1 if not more. The key to note with donald is that he has this amazing final day performance level that no one else seems to have. as soon as he can get over the badish first 36 we will see him win and win a few as well. What he needs to clearly do is just prepare for the majors and start forgetting abbout the money lists and week in week out grind of the US tour.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:21 am

Mc,

Els +1 Tiger +4..................what are you talking about??

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:22 am

john

Ie tiger goal has always been to get to 18 majors, hence the +4.

I just reckon els could have matched the amount of majors seve won.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:24 am

Mac,
The only reports I've read about the Kiawah set-up have been from journalists. One offered the opinion on ESPN this week that it would be set up too tight for Woods's driver, essentially that his chance was this week, not at the PGA.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:25 am

I also predict donald to win the pga. Trust he is gonna do it- just looking at his rivals-0 there are all bottlers- a player is gonna take the mantle of being the true 'no.1' very soon and that will be donald(cemented with a major) and then mcilroy(possibly) after..

We have had one time winner after one time winner over the last few years , and its about time we got the next nicklaus, faldo, norman ,seve,watson ,els, sing or woods(not to woods and nicklaus levels but to the others)..

now if we dont get one for abit we dont get one- but for my money its gonna be donald and mcilroy or one of them at the least out of the bunch we have.. Who else is there?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:26 am

No significant moves from Euro RC contenders. GMAC and Luke have already clinched their spot.

Colsaerts had to have caught Ollie's eye with the final round 65. And the Mechanic too, with his 67. With all the experience expected to be on Ollie's team, will he use a precious pick on Colsearts and leave someone like Poulter (or even possibly Garcia)

=====
Sneds should be about 12th in the Standings and looking like a potential Captains pick. but he is going to be fighting players like DJ, Bradley, Fowler, Stricker, and Furyk for a pick.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:28 am

McLaren wrote:john

Ie tiger goal has always been to get to 18 majors, hence the +4.

I just reckon els could have matched the amount of majors seve won.

right what the heck- i thought you were talking overall scoring record for a minute- but thats just immaterial, what is that 'macs law' or something??

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:28 am

Cheers Mc,

Els tee to green is just sublime and he didn't even putt great today, but when he needed a putt on 18...wow.................................i think a green jacket is on his hit list............he really let one slip the year Mickelson won his first............................

Mysti,

Wishful thinking i think on Donald just needing to sort out the first 36 and then slide home.............................

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:33 am

Nah its not wishfull thinking at all- maybe for the pga. The guy isnt given enough credit- he never fails last two rounds, he is one of the only players i have ever known that has this trait- its as if every time he plays a course on the spin he just getrs better at it and more honed in how to play it. If i was his coach or confident i would tell him to play half the events and practise harder on the ones he does play before the start of the tourny.. Faldo said he was gonna call him on monday- Faldo if your reading............

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 16 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next