The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England v South Africa, The Oval, 1st Test Thread

+48
eirebilly
VTR
FerN
DHLS07
djkbrown2001
azania
dyrewolfe
sugarNspikes
Gregers
robbo277
protea438
JDizzle
Carrotdude
amanuensis
packofwolves
Pal Joey
Mike Selig
ShankyCricket
DouglasJardinesbox
Ozzy3213
dummy_half
Corporalhumblebucket
EnglishReign
LondonTiger
ChequeredJersey
guildfordbat
alfie
GSC
Dorothy_Mantooth
bradman99.94
liverbnz
chrisss
gboycottnut
msp83
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
trebellbobaggins
Fernando
Cowshot
Galted
LivinginItaly
Biltong
Fists of Fury
Shelsey93
Liam
mystiroakey
LuvSports!
skyeman
Duty281
52 posters

Page 15 of 21 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 21  Next

Go down

England v South Africa, The Oval, 1st Test Thread - Page 15 Empty England v South Africa, The Oval, 1st Test Thread

Post by Duty281 Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:40 pm

First topic message reminder :

Here we go then, England v South Africa at The Oval where the battle for Number 1 will commence. A win or draw in the series for England will see them retain that coveted spot whereas South Africa need a series win to take the crown. This will be a true battle of the World's two best Test teams. Here are the lineups:

1 Andrew Strauss (capt), 2 Alastair Cook, 3 Jonathan Trott, 4 Kevin Pietersen, 5 Ian Bell, 6 Ravi Bopara, 7 Matt Prior (wk), 8 Tim Bresnan, 9 Graeme Swann, 10 Stuart Broad, 11 James Anderson

England bat down to 10 with the formidable Cook opening (made 294 less than 12 months ago), KP (who walks into any team at the moment) and the best WK batsmen in the game, Matt Prior (averages over 40 and he bats at 7). Add the fact that their probable No.8 bats with an average over 40! England have probably the best all-round bowling attack in the game - 2 World-class quicks, a World-'class spinner and a very good all-rounder in Tim Bresnan who averages over 40 with the bat and under 30 with the ball. One weak link though, Ravi Bopara.

1 Graeme Smith (capt), 2 Alviro Petersen, 3 Hashim Amla, 4 Jacques Kallis, 5 AB de Villiers (wk), 6 Jacques Rudolph, 7 JP Duminy, 8 Vernon Philander, 9 Dale Steyn, 10 Morne Morkel, 11 Imran Tahir

7 specalist batsmen which includes the best no.3 in the World and the best all-rounder seen in this era. There's also Graeme Smith and De Villiers who both average a shade under 50. Then the best fast bowling attack in the World, Steyn (best bowler in the World), Morkel and Philander (average of 14.15 in 7 Tests). Weak links? Petersen isn't the best opener, Boucher the usual WK is injured and Tahir is far from the best spinner in the World.

Cricinfo Preview

My series prediction: 2-0 England.

Enjoy the game!

Last edited by Duty281 on Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

England v South Africa, The Oval, 1st Test Thread - Page 15 Empty Re: England v South Africa, The Oval, 1st Test Thread

Post by gboycottnut Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:47 pm

JDizzle wrote:England do have players like that; they are called Trott and Cook. Admittedly they are out his innings, but Cook played one rash shot in his first innings and that was the end. It can be done. And Bell and Ravi don't need to dig in in the conventional sense, the pitch is good and they should just play their natural game. They've both batted for long periods of time when playing their natural games before and they can do it again. It's not likely, but I am keeping the faith.

And Amla and Big Jacques did hand out a lesson, but it is do-able for England! However well you bat, you don't make 300 on a minefield! Maybe (definitely) Bell and Bops don't have the ability to bat like Amla, but they don't need to. If one gets a 100, and the other gets a 70 then the game will nearly be saved! It's not nearly as impossible as is being made out!

No matter who they are, they aren't much use if they are both sat in the pavilion and cannot bat tomorrow due to already being dismissed. Bell maybe can bat all day as he does have the technique needed, but does he have the concentration. Similar case with Bopara except for the fact there are more question marks hovering over him about both his technique and his concentration for batting well at a test match level.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

England v South Africa, The Oval, 1st Test Thread - Page 15 Empty Re: England v South Africa, The Oval, 1st Test Thread

Post by Liam Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:51 pm

Time for Bopara to step up now. This is what test match cricket is all about, backs against the wall on a very good pitch, 4 down for 100.

Both are capable of hitting hundreds tomorrow and as said above, should play their natural game.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:17 pm

Too many doom merchants writing off England already. This i not the football team but a very good cricket team (aided by Saffers) who play as a good unit.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:22 pm

azania wrote:Too many doom merchants writing off England already. This i not the football team but a very good cricket team (aided by Saffers) who play as a good unit.

That's a matter of opinion!

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:26 pm

martyr wrote:Time for Bopara to step up now. This is what test match cricket is all about, backs against the wall on a very good pitch, 4 down for 100.

Both are capable of hitting hundreds tomorrow and as said above, should play their natural game.

Bopara should have huge motivation for batting tomorrow. If he manages to score a hundred which helps England to save this test match, he should be guaranteed a longer run in the team than what he had in the past. However should he fail again, well I just can't see any way back for him into England's test team, as I believe that England's selectors will risk moving Prior up to 6 in order to bolster the bowling attack by bringing in Finn.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:33 am

I await for the final result before completing my post mortem on this Test, but some thoughts for now:

The South African batsmen - at least Amla, Kallis and de Villiers (less so Smith but you can't let him get in) - are really exceptional, and there isn't simple a way to get them out. People say that England should have been more hostile, but that is easier said than done with the score as it was. And I can hardly see any of those batsman falling for that. Well done to Amla on a super knock, and one which is far from a flash in the pan clap.

On the whole the bowling was acceptable but no better. I worry slightly that Swann's returns have slowed down now for quite an extended period. People can sometimes blame the surfaces and the excellence of the seamers for that, but when he first broke into the Test team one of his key assets was that he took wickets on flat pitches and in the first innings as well as on turning ones. He hasn't done that for a little while now. Of course he can't be dropped, but it is worrying when an area which you perceive to be a great strength doesn't succeed. Also, Broad's speeds continued to be sub-standard, as they were against WI, for much of the innings. I wonder if they are both being effected by niggles?

England's innings last night was a typical example of batting when mentally tired. The hours and hours in the field took their tole, and affected the concentration levels of the batsmen. I think this was particularly clear in Strauss and Pietersen's efforts, whilst Trott would hope not to knick off twice in one match. Cook got a super ball.

Now, after a night for the batsmen to sleep and think about it, the target is clear - survive. We can't afford to take the approach of score quickly, so that we have a lead anyway if we are bowled out, so Bell will need to be playing the Brigadier with Bopara, Prior and Bresnan his loyal lieutenants. We shouldn't get too down about this - all it takes is a couple of good partnerships - but SA are obviously big-time favourites.

Last edited by Shelsey93 on Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:22 am; edited 1 time in total

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:02 am

Shelsey93 wrote:I await for the final result before completing my post mortem on this Test, but some thoughts for now:

The South African batsmen - at least Amla, Kallis and de Villiers (less so Smith but you can't let him get in) - are really exceptional, and there isn't simple a way to get them out. People say that England should have been more hostile, but that is easier said than done with the score as it was. And I can hardly see any of those batsman falling for that. Well done to Amla on a super knock, and one which is far from a flash in the pan clap.

On the whole the bowling was acceptable but no better. I worry slightly that Swann's returns have slowed down now for quite an extended period. People can sometimes blame the surfaces and the excellence of the seamers for that, but when he first broke into the Test team one of his key assets was that he took wickets on flat pitches and in the first innings as well as on turning ones. He hasn't done that for a little while now. Of course he can't be dropped, but it is worrying when an area which you perceive to be a great strength doesn't succeed. Also, Broad's speeds continued to be sub-standard, as they were against WI, for much of the innings. I wonder if they are both being effected by niggles?

England's innings last night was a typical example of batting when mentally tired. The hours and hours in the field took their tole, and affected the concentration levels of the batsmen. I think this was particularly clear in Strauss and Pietersen's efforts, whilst Trott would hope not to knick off twice in one match. Cook got a super ball.

Now, after a night for the batsmen to sleep and think about it, the target is clear - survive. We can't afford to take the approach of score quickly, so that we have a lead anyway if we are bowled out, so Bell will need to be playing the Brigadier with Bopara, Prior and Bresnan his loyal lieutenants. We shouldn't get two down about this - all it takes is a couple of good partnerships - but SA are obviously big-time favourites.

What I believe is needed to get these excellent South African batsmen out are bowlers who have that extra raw pace of 90+ mph. Mitchell Johnson showed this when he gave the South African batsmen plenty of problems during the 2009 Aus V SA test series in SA (he sent Kallis to hospital with a real snorter of a short ball). In 2008 at the Oval test match, Steve Harmison showed that guys like Amla don't like raw express pace when he bowled out Amla with a really good yorker which uprooted the leg stump. But looking at England's current bowling lineup in this test match, none of the bowlers have that extra raw pace, and before anyone thinks or mentions Steven Finn as a candidate to supply England with this extra raw pace, well forget it. Finn is nothing more than long hop down the legside serving seamer rather than an out and out pace bowler with the serious express pace.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:18 am

Sorry that I wasn't on duty yesterday, gents, I fear Trebs alone wasn't enough to quell the tide of wickets.

I'll do my best today, though I fear we are in for a swift and brutal execution.

Utter dross from England both in the field (lack of energy, aggression and skill coupled with some excellent, patient batting) and with the bat. Fair enough, they would have been mentally knackered after such a stint in the field, and we see such collapses on apparently lifeless pitches happen fairly regularly in such events, but it doesn't hide the fact that it is totally unacceptable for 'supposedly' the number one side in the world.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:21 am

gboycottnut wrote:
Shelsey93 wrote:I await for the final result before completing my post mortem on this Test, but some thoughts for now:

Now, after a night for the batsmen to sleep and think about it, the target is clear - survive. We can't afford to take the approach of score quickly, so that we have a lead anyway if we are bowled out, so Bell will need to be playing the Brigadier with Bopara, Prior and Bresnan his loyal lieutenants. We shouldn't get two down about this - all it takes is a couple of good partnerships - but SA are obviously big-time favourites.

What I believe is needed to get these excellent South African batsmen out are bowlers who have that extra raw pace of 90+ mph. Mitchell Johnson showed this when he gave the South African batsmen plenty of problems during the 2009 Aus V SA test series in SA (he sent Kallis to hospital with a real snorter of a short ball). In 2008 at the Oval test match, Steve Harmison showed that guys like Amla don't like raw express pace when he bowled out Amla with a really good yorker which uprooted the leg stump. But looking at England's current bowling lineup in this test match, none of the bowlers have that extra raw pace, and before anyone thinks or mentions Steven Finn as a candidate to supply England with this extra raw pace, well forget it. Finn is nothing more than long hop down the legside serving seamer rather than an out and out pace bowler with the serious express pace.

In theory Broad should be able to bowl at near to, or beyond 90. But he hasn't this summer for some reason, and that might explain why he looked so pedestrian yesterday - bowling 78 yet not having the skill to make that work as an on-song Philander or Bresnan can (though both are also down in pace in this match? Is our speed gun set slowly?). Finn is a good bowler and, depending on the result of this match, will have to be seriously considered for Headingley.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:30 am

Philander is just a slow bowler, Shelsey, he rarely pushes above 81mph. It is accuracy that brings him wickets, he is like a less skilled version of Mohammad Asif.

Bresnan is rarely above 83mph across the last 6-12 months as well, so I don't think there are speed gun issues.

Broad definitely looks below par, you simply cannot bowl so uncannily without pace.

As you say, Finn needs to be seriously considered, as our one trick pony of an attack is simply not enough in the face of such high quality batting. We need raw pace, and that is what Finn brings to the table at least. I'm not saying he will blow them away, in fact they may well score fairly heavily against him, but we NEED that variation to give ourselves a chance of taking ten, let alone twenty wickets.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:55 am

I personally think england expected SA to be underdone in this test, I expected it, and lookinga at day one, that was exactly how it looked.

Day two may have caught them by surprise and it set SA up to bat for a few days on a dead pitch.

In my view the only difference in last nights bowling was more accuracy, better planning for each wicket and the inevitable positive attitude that comes with a 600+ innings.

These are all issues England can deal with and solve before the next test.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by DouglasJardinesbox Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:57 am

What Ravi scores is irrelevant. It's time at the crease which will define his career. Clearly if he scores a ton, that will do nicely, but a Tavare like 30 (15 more) in two hours could be just as useful.....I feel the game will be over by 3pm however.....

DouglasJardinesbox

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:12 am

Shelsey93 wrote:
gboycottnut wrote:

In theory Broad should be able to bowl at near to, or beyond 90. But he hasn't this summer for some reason, and that might explain why he looked so pedestrian yesterday - bowling 78 yet not having the skill to make that work as an on-song Philander or Bresnan can (though both are also down in pace in this match? Is our speed gun set slowly?). Finn is a good bowler and, depending on the result of this match, will have to be seriously considered for Headingley.
Bresnan more skillful than Broad? Headscratch

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:20 am

Fists of Fury wrote:Philander is just a slow bowler, Shelsey, he rarely pushes above 81mph. It is accuracy that brings him wickets, he is like a less skilled version of Mohammad Asif.

Bresnan is rarely above 83mph across the last 6-12 months as well, so I don't think there are speed gun issues.

Broad definitely looks below par, you simply cannot bowl so uncannily without pace.

As you say, Finn needs to be seriously considered, as our one trick pony of an attack is simply not enough in the face of such high quality batting. We need raw pace, and that is what Finn brings to the table at least. I'm not saying he will blow them away, in fact they may well score fairly heavily against him, but we NEED that variation to give ourselves a chance of taking ten, let alone twenty wickets.

Does he heck bring raw pace. England should consider playing Stuart Meaker. He is definitely one bowler who does have the raw pace needed to unsettle and eventually dismiss brick walls like Amla and Kallis.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by FerN Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:31 am

Sorry for straying from the rugby threads, but just wanted to say good luck to our boys today. And well done to #, Kallis and Graeme. Graeme has been getting a lot of flack since the world cup. Sure he handled it wrong, but the SA fans have been overly harsh on him.

FerN

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:33 am

Don't apologise, FerN, it'd be good if you joined us here on a more regular basis!

Gboycott, of course Finn brings raw pace. Is 90mph not enough for you?

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:35 am

Fists of Fury wrote:Philander is just a slow bowler, Shelsey, he rarely pushes above 81mph. It is accuracy that brings him wickets, he is like a less skilled version of Mohammad Asif.

Philander certainly looked quicker against Australia and Sri Lanka. Bresnan was usually in the 84-86 range against India last summer.

Can't be bothered to quote but yes Shanky I do think Bresnan is more 'skilful' than Broad - that doesn't mean I think he's better. Broad isn't set up to bowl at the pace he has in this match - if he does his full length which worked so well last year becomes floaty.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:37 am

Fists of Fury wrote:Don't apologise, FerN, it'd be good if you joined us here on a more regular basis!

Gboycott, of course Finn brings raw pace. Is 90mph not enough for you?

Not when those 90mph are long-hops down the legside which even a mickey mouse batsman can whack out of the ground in his sleep.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:38 am

I think you are doing Finn a huge dis-service there, GBoycott.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:41 am

Fists of Fury wrote:I think you are doing Finn a huge dis-service there, GBoycott.

No I am not. Finn is a bang it into the wicket bowler and nothing more than that. If the wicket is as flat as a pancake and is very slow then his bowling becomes nothing more than cannon fodder.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by FerN Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:41 am

Shelsey93 wrote:

Philander certainly looked quicker against Australia and Sri Lanka. Bresnan was usually in the 84-86 range against India last summer.

Can't be bothered to quote but yes Shanky I do think Bresnan is more 'skilful' than Broad - that doesn't mean I think he's better. Broad isn't set up to bowl at the pace he has in this match - if he does his full length which worked so well last year becomes floaty.

Philander didn't bowl quick to Australia or Sri Lanka, he just got insane swing. Let Morne will probably bash it in as Steyn has not been bowling fast with the exception of the NZ tests.

FerN

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:42 am

Well played Amla. Hope we can just man up a bit in the remaining tests
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:43 am

FerN wrote:Philander didn't bowl quick to Australia or Sri Lanka, he just got insane swing.

He didn't bowl 90 mph but he was definitely up in the low-to-mid 80s rather than the high 70s.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:47 am

I can't remember Philander ever bowling faster than 135 km/h
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:48 am

Shelsey93 wrote:
FerN wrote:Philander didn't bowl quick to Australia or Sri Lanka, he just got insane swing.

He didn't bowl 90 mph but he was definitely up in the low-to-mid 80s rather than the high 70s.

Which is still faster and more threatening than what all of our own impotent bunch of bowlers managed when we were fielding.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:50 am

Yeah agree with the consensus. Philander is a 79-81mph merchant for the most part. It is the slight swing and the exaggerated seam movement that makes him a danger.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:52 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbsuAbTTsV8

The Great Escape! Come on England!

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:53 am

Fists of Fury wrote:Yeah agree with the consensus. Philander is a 79-81mph merchant for the most part. It is the slight swing and the exaggerated seam movement that makes him a danger.
and his accuracy most of the times, wicket to wicket.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:55 am

We wont get out of this one and nor do we deserve to. We've only taken 2 wickets - a draw would be a farcical result. I'd rather this is over quickly this morning than drags on until the final session, I think we'll lose either way so lets get it over and done with!

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by DouglasJardinesbox Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:56 am

From having the 1st or 2nd best attack, and arguably the 3rd (Finn, Onions, Tremmers & Monty) best attack in the game, the Oval pancake has made us drop to dross level. Funny old game.....

DouglasJardinesbox

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:58 am

Fists of Fury wrote:Yeah agree with the consensus. Philander is a 79-81mph merchant for the most part. It is the slight swing and the exaggerated seam movement that makes him a danger.

It is a huge relief that Merchant de Lange is out injured from this current tour, as his extra pace would have given England's batsmen plenty of problems over the next 2 test matches.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:02 am

I think England missed a trick by not playing Finn as he is someone who can get it over 90mph and generate extra bounce on a pitch like this (much like Morkel has managed). Not saying it would have made a difference but Broad seems to have lost his zip and it made all 3 seamers look v similar and unthreatening when the ball wasn't swinging.

Having said that, regardless of pitch, conditions and bowlers, to score 300 in an individual innings is a phenomenal effort. This SA Test side really is superb and when you look at all the players and their respective records, qualities and skill levels you do wonder how they haven't been the number 1 side for a while already. Having said that although I expect England to lose comfortably today I fully expect us to fight back in the next 2 Tests.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:03 am

De Lange wouldn't have played, and he is but a decent bowler at this stage. Pacey, but a little wild.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LivinginItaly Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:04 am

Ok chaps prediction time. How long will we last? Today we are starting with 38 overs already completed. I think we will manage to last at least until the 100th over.

LivinginItaly

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:04 am

I'm not so sure, carrot, I just don't think this bowling attack will take 20 South African wickets. Not unless we prepare some horror pitches, in which case we risk being blown away ourselves. Might as well, though, been as we are being blown away on a road anyway Laugh

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:04 am

1 down. 89 to go. Very Happy

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:05 am

We will be all out before the midway point of the afternoon session. No way can we stand up to a pumped up Saffer bowling attack. We don't have the minerals.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LivinginItaly Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:07 am

Think we will take it into the last session

LivinginItaly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:08 am

Well Sa would need to bowl england out in 70 overs today, if england bat at 3 runs per over (unlikely as I think their attitude will be to play for the draw) they will lead by max 120.

Then SA can play T20 cirkcet and knock it off.

If not, it will be a draw.

Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:11 am

Carrotdude wrote:I think England missed a trick by not playing Finn as he is someone who can get it over 90mph and generate extra bounce on a pitch like this (much like Morkel has managed). Not saying it would have made a difference but Broad seems to have lost his zip and it made all 3 seamers look v similar and unthreatening when the ball wasn't swinging.

Having said that, regardless of pitch, conditions and bowlers, to score 300 in an individual innings is a phenomenal effort. This SA Test side really is superb and when you look at all the players and their respective records, qualities and skill levels you do wonder how they haven't been the number 1 side for a while already. Having said that although I expect England to lose comfortably today I fully expect us to fight back in the next 2 Tests.

Finn would have been nothing more than cannon fodder on this flat wicket. As for SA not being ranked the number 1 side in the world well to me all ranking systems mean JACKSH#T in sport nowadays, as in any sport you would find that the best player/team aren't necessary those people which are holding the number 1 ranking position. Snooker is the best example of this where someone like Mark Selby is the current World number 1 when a lot of people know that Ronnie O'Sullivan is the best player in the world at present. Darts is another excellent example, where Phil Taylor is the best player ever to have played Darts, but he isn't the current World number 1 I believe at present in the PDC world rankings system.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:11 am

The more runs England get, the less time they need to bat. Batting out 75 overs a 3 an over should be enough.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:12 am

I think we'll bat out the draw. Bat sensible is all it requires.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:12 am

Bit more of that from Bopara would be good!
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:13 am

gboycottnut wrote:
Carrotdude wrote:I think England missed a trick by not playing Finn as he is someone who can get it over 90mph and generate extra bounce on a pitch like this (much like Morkel has managed). Not saying it would have made a difference but Broad seems to have lost his zip and it made all 3 seamers look v similar and unthreatening when the ball wasn't swinging.

Finn would have been nothing more than cannon fodder on this flat wicket. As for SA not being ranked the number 1 side in the world well to me all ranking systems mean JACKSH#T in sport nowadays, as in any sport you would find that the best player/team aren't necessary those people which are holding the number 1 ranking position. Snooker is the best example of this where someone like Mark Selby is the current World number 1 when a lot of people know that Ronnie O'Sullivan is the best player in the world at present. Darts is another excellent example, where Phil Taylor is the best player ever to have played Darts, but he isn't the current World number 1 I believe at present in the PDC world rankings system.

Phil Taylor is the current NO.1, Ronnie O Sullivan doesn't play enough to be NO.1 and England have been the best team in Test Cricket over the last 3 years so fully deserve the No.1 spot.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by LivinginItaly Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:13 am

I still think that SA might regret declaring earlier than expected and without a real charge pre-declaration. If we manage to catch up, and I know it is a huge "if" given the way we batted yesterday, I think our lower order of bresnan, broad and swann will feel much more comfortable batting for runs instead of trying to bat time out.

LivinginItaly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:14 am

ignore my maths, England currently 139 behind, if they bat for 70 overs they can get 210-139 = 72 lead.

Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:16 am

Duty281 wrote:
gboycottnut wrote:

Phil Taylor is the current NO.1, Ronnie O Sullivan doesn't play enough to be NO.1 and England have been the best team in Test Cricket over the last 3 years so fully deserve the No.1 spot.

But I am sure that Phil Taylor had spells in recent years whereby he hasn't been officially ranked World No 1, despite being the best player in Darts.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:23 am

That was sooo close to Ravi's off stump, 0.8mm according to SKY! First 5 overs have been seen off.

Last edited by Duty281 on Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:24 am

missed by 0.8 mm.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by LivinginItaly Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:25 am

How can I work with this tension? 5 overs, but it feels like 25 overs...

LivinginItaly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 21 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 21  Next