The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Earning Respect

+24
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
mystiroakey
OzT
Pal Joey
Artful_Dodger
rodders
Notch
sugarNspikes
gregortree
whocares
goneagain
eirebilly
HERSH
Taylorman
beshocked
emack2
aucklandlaurie
Dontheman
jimmyinthewell68
blackcanelion
kiakahaaotearoa
caoimhincentre
gowales
anotherworldofpain
28 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Earning Respect - Page 3 Empty Earning Respect

Post by anotherworldofpain Thu 19 Jul 2012 - 10:45

First topic message reminder :

"All Blacks didn't respect us - Dusautoir"

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=80&objectid=10820191

Seems some odd thing for Dusautoir to talking about. Since everybody know that (a) NZ fear nothing more than meet France in the knock out phase of RWC! and second you have to earning respect, not repeatedly show up with a weak combinator to take a 50 point hammering, lose to Tonga struggle past ENG and then demand respect from the world.

Am I right?

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Earning Respect - Page 3 Empty Re: Earning Respect

Post by aucklandlaurie Tue 24 Jul 2012 - 23:55

Artful
Not strange at all the New Zealand newspaper was correct and by recording the clarification of evnts they get criticised by all the Anti New Zealand rugby brigade.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Wed 25 Jul 2012 - 13:20

aucklandlaurie wrote:
Artful
Not strange at all the New Zealand newspaper was correct and by recording the clarification of evnts they get criticised by all the Anti New Zealand rugby brigade.

???
1) Artful : AWOP is not a french poster...please...
2) there is nothing remotely interesting in that article appart from mentionning that Dusautoir didnt under understand properly one headline/caption about 2 NZ players being laidback and wrongly thought the kiwis were not respecting this french team ...so what?

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Wed 25 Jul 2012 - 13:24

aucklandlaurie wrote:
Artful

The NZ newspaper was not correct. They used a headline that was made out to be quoted from Dusautoir, when in reality he never said it or even gave the impression that he meant it. Not anti NZ, just anti people making a big deal out of nothing.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed 25 Jul 2012 - 15:30

gowales wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:
Artful

The NZ newspaper was not correct. They used a headline that was made out to be quoted from Dusautoir, when in reality he never said it or even gave the impression that he meant it. Not anti NZ, just anti people making a big deal out of nothing.

The original Herald on Sunday article was obviously meant for local consumption, "NZ Eyes Only"... that type of thing.

However, some ratter (most likely an ex-NOTW sports journo) with a big chip on his shoulder leaked it to Total Rugby with the seemingly clever purpose of not only devaluing Thierry Dusautoir's IRB Player of the Year Award but also discrediting the ABs hard fought and well-deserved victory in the 2011 RWC Final - after nearly a quarter of a century in the RWC wilderness. That's a dastardly low act I feel.

It's like leaving your ski gear on the lower slopes of Mt Hutt and not expecting a kea to 'have it's way' with your boots. That's never happened to me though.

It's also a sort of ill-planned and poorly executed kamikaze tactic which my fellow country sportsmen & women (and journalists) try all too often with disastrous results... most of the time. Quite frankly, I'm surprised that the NH has followed our suit now. Better folk have tried and failed as my great-grandfather used to say.

No doubt they will simply dust themselves off like the near fatally singed and soot-covered Coyote does in those Road-Runner cartoons and try a little harder next time - like Australia does. Won't change things much though... will it?

I am yet to read the actual article but I presume that's the gist of it.

Anyway, I need to clip my toenails now so please excuse me from this debate whilst I attend to this very important task.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 25 Jul 2012 - 15:36

I love the kea. You can tell my ski gear or car window never succumbed to the cheeky little monkeys. You've made me even more nostalgic for the Southern Alps in this 38 degree heat LB. Sad

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed 25 Jul 2012 - 15:40

Had to bring him in somehow - it should be your national bird, you know.
Plucky, brave, noisy (sometimes) and he's not scared to stand out from his surroundings. Wink

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Wed 25 Jul 2012 - 22:18

Linebreaker
What do you mean our national bird, Keas are thieves and vandals.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 26 Jul 2012 - 0:46

aucklandlaurie wrote:

Linebreaker
What do you mean our national bird, Keas are thieves and vandals.

So? Wink

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 26 Jul 2012 - 1:29

Pavlova!! Take that LB Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Thu 26 Jul 2012 - 3:02

Ah, the famous Anna Pavlova dessert made famous by aussies..... also known as the "Meringue with Fruit Filling" dessert

Smile

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 26 Jul 2012 - 3:55

Laugh OzT, come on fella. Let us have a little bit of glory with our pavlova, it's all we've got besides the ABs.

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Thu 26 Jul 2012 - 4:50

not a bad side though let's face it... dammit!!!
Smile

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Thu 26 Jul 2012 - 6:27

New Zealand also has Footrot Flats, the greatest comic of all time in my world EBOP Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Thu 26 Jul 2012 - 7:09

Footrot Flats long time no see miss them.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Thu 26 Jul 2012 - 7:12

Loved them. I have so many books of them and they never get old Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 26 Jul 2012 - 7:21

Classic, good call Billy! Hardcase that you've heard of footrot flats, very kiwi. My fav was horse the cat, just because I was young and he was one mean mutha. A lot of the humour probably went over my head back then.

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Thu 26 Jul 2012 - 7:43

My dad brought back a strip of it from NZ when i was about 10, loved it ever since.

Old Cecil or Major has to be my favourite Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Thu 26 Jul 2012 - 8:05

OzT wrote:Ah, the famous Anna Pavlova dessert made famous by aussies..... also known as the "Meringue with Fruit Filling" dessert

Smile

THe fruit goes on the outside. Typical Ozzies messing it up.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu 26 Jul 2012 - 8:14

Best soundtrack as well with Slice of Heaven. Apt title. I think the song was named after a slice of pavlova. You know, the original pavlova from NZ. With kiwifruit on it. Very Happy

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Thu 26 Jul 2012 - 9:39

Slice of Heaven, ahhh, a good song from the land of the long white clould, along with Exponent's Why Does Love.... hmm, and what else? Oh yeah, Lucy Lawless!!! Smile

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu 26 Jul 2012 - 9:47

I prefer the exponents' Who Loves Pooze on Toast. But I'll give you a Pepsi Challenge OzT with Fat Freddy's Drop. You can have Russell Crowe and Crowded House. Very Happy

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Thu 26 Jul 2012 - 9:57

ah from the windy city!! Lived there for a year before coming over to London.

Prefer South of Bombay to them, and we all know Crowe's a kiwi, as well as the Finns... you can defo keep Crowe!!!!

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Thu 26 Jul 2012 - 10:02

And to be fair, Slice of Heaven's probably the only song of his us aussies know. Saw Dobbyn perform at Camden Town here when he was over, think i was the only aussie in the crowd, and that's the one song I could sing along to with the rest of the crowd...

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Thu 26 Jul 2012 - 10:03

The Shihad. Best band to emerge from NZ. The album "The General Electric" would have been very famous if it was made by some UK group and get more exposure.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Thu 26 Jul 2012 - 10:08

na don't know the band, sorry. Not familiar with most the kiwi bands, cept for the bigger older ones like Dragon and ones I have mentioned.

anyway, most kiwi bands seems to be based in Oz anyway... Big Day Out and all that!! Smile

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu 26 Jul 2012 - 10:18

They were renamed Pacifier after one of their track titles because they were based in the US and Shihad sounded too much like Jihad for the US studio.

I actually miss listening to Kiwi bands. They were understated and part of you felt like they deserved success and the other part of you felt that you wouldn't be able to see them so easily if they were more successful.

I remember going to a tiny club called Sala Sol to see The Datsuns. All of the Spanish locals were getting into it and the band were tighter than a nun´s chuff. After the gig I walked up to them and said this wasn't exactly a step up from Orientation at the Canterbury UCSA but I was sure as hell glad to see them. We had a good talk and talked about Berlin where they were wanting to base themselves. Good luck doing that with a big band.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Thu 26 Jul 2012 - 10:25

Datsuns was quite well know over here in London, well round Shep Bush area anyway. Too noisy for me then, a bit loose, but sure they'd got better.

That could be a bar to them doing well in the States with a name like that (Shilad), specially if around the war of terror time!!!

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu 26 Jul 2012 - 10:43

Shep Bush was probably too big a venue for them then. They were always pretty tight as a unit when I saw them.

Shihad, as a hard rock band, should've told their studio to f off and say we put a shihad on all threats to freedom and if you have a problem with our music then we put a shihad on you too. America f no!

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Thu 26 Jul 2012 - 10:46

They change the name? That is terrible. I didn't know about it. Imagine if Metal Up Your Ass had changed their name to Metallica just to satisfy some recording company!

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Thu 26 Jul 2012 - 10:49

Aretha Franklin deserves more respect.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Thu 26 Jul 2012 - 11:45

anotherworldofpain wrote:They change the name? That is terrible. I didn't know about it. Imagine if Metal Up Your Ass had changed their name to Metallica just to satisfy some recording company!
It was the album title that was changed (to Kill 'em All) not the band.

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 26 Jul 2012 - 12:48

Shihad are kiwi rock legends alright Kia. My fav album of theirs would have to be killjoy, and the song bitter. They kinda mellowed with age a bit, but still kiwi music gods. They can still crank out a hit with 'rule the world', but it's very polished in comparison to their old stuff.

Did you ever get to a BDO up in AKL?

Heard much of bailterspace?

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu 26 Jul 2012 - 12:52

I never did make a BDO in Auckland EBOP. I think they stopped them now. In my 20s I was in NZ for 4 years only. Was in France, US a bit in London and the last few months in Madrid. Never heard of bailterspace. Hate to think what other acts I've missed.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Thu 26 Jul 2012 - 13:13

NZ are like Ireland, excellent musicians and brilliant at rugby... dammit, that cant be right Crying or Very sad
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Thu 26 Jul 2012 - 13:17

EBOP wrote:Shihad are kiwi rock legends alright Kia. My fav album of theirs would have to be killjoy, and the song bitter. They kinda mellowed with age a bit, but still kiwi music gods. They can still crank out a hit with 'rule the world', but it's very polished in comparison to their old stuff.

I saw soundgarden the first time in BDO in AKL, think it was one of the last gigs before they break up (last time).

There was a lot of good NZ bands to discover that day. I liked the little set at the end by a group called "Head Like a Hole". They played on through the curfew in acoustic mode (without crying about it the next day in the paper) like and finished up with a song called something like "A Crying Shame" which has one of the best indie trumpet riffs I can imagine and this was one of the best live performances I've ever seen. I still remember it.

I think I also saw the 3Ds from Dunedin open for U2 once.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 26 Jul 2012 - 13:21

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:I never did make a BDO in Auckland EBOP. I think they stopped them now. In my 20s I was in NZ for 4 years only. Was in France, US a bit in London and the last few months in Madrid. Never heard of bailterspace. Hate to think what other acts I've missed.

Splendour In The Grass is on soon FYI. Shihad, Mudhoney and Blue King Brown will be performing. Yahoo

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 26 Jul 2012 - 13:31

anotherworldofpain wrote:
EBOP wrote:Shihad are kiwi rock legends alright Kia. My fav album of theirs would have to be killjoy, and the song bitter. They kinda mellowed with age a bit, but still kiwi music gods. They can still crank out a hit with 'rule the world', but it's very polished in comparison to their old stuff.

I saw soundgarden the first time in BDO in AKL, think it was one of the last gigs before they break up (last time).

There was a lot of good NZ bands to discover that day. I liked the little set at the end by a group called "Head Like a Hole". They played on through the curfew in acoustic mode (without crying about it the next day in the paper) like and finished up with a song called something like "A Crying Shame" which has one of the best indie trumpet riffs I can imagine and this was one of the best live performances I've ever seen. I still remember it.

I think I also saw the 3Ds from Dunedin open for U2 once.

It obviously having a big affection to your mind as I can seeing your English improved back to normal again. Ale

P.S....RD is on holidays - do you miss her? kiss Smile

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Thu 26 Jul 2012 - 13:37

Two glorious weeks of not get a ban, or warned to shut up! I miss her like a hole in the head. Whistle

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 26 Jul 2012 - 13:42

So are you gaining abit of respect at last!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Thu 26 Jul 2012 - 13:43

Actually it's not a true. Kiwireddevil told me to shut up yesterday.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 26 Jul 2012 - 13:44

shut it!

nah just kidding- them mods used to be on my back day and night.. I think they have resigned themselves to me these days!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Thu 26 Jul 2012 - 13:45

I think there is more lenient attitude when the board not so busy.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 26 Jul 2012 - 13:48

AWoP you bloody dark horse you! Used to listen a lot to HLAH and that trumpet riff in crying shame is a ripper, da da da dada da...da da, it's a crying shame. Cornbag was another goody by HLAH. 3Ds as well (outer space the big tune) as other flying nun bands, straightjackit fits, the clean, gordans, bailterspace, etc. Was all happening down in Dunedin in those days.

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 26 Jul 2012 - 13:49

Tbh I am giving the mods of abit of a disservice- I am just better behaved- maybe you are as well!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 26 Jul 2012 - 13:49

EBOP wrote:AWoP you bloody dark horse you! Used to listen a lot to HLAH and that trumpet riff in crying shame is a ripper, da da da dada da...da da, it's a crying shame. Cornbag was another goody by HLAH. 3Ds as well (outer space the big tune) as other flying nun bands, straightjackit fits, the clean, gordans, bailterspace, etc. Was all happening down in Dunedin in those days.

whatthe.................................................

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 26 Jul 2012 - 13:51

anotherworldofpain wrote:Two glorious weeks of not get a ban, or warned to shut up! I miss her like a hole in the head. Whistle

Yeah, you sure make a lot of hay when the sun is shining. Very Happy

That was a little heavy handed I thought. A little more respect should have been shown and less of a knee-jerk reaction (like that Rugby Show episode) would have been better.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Thu 26 Jul 2012 - 13:51

EBOP wrote:AWoP you bloody dark horse you! Used to listen a lot to HLAH and that trumpet riff in crying shame is a ripper, da da da dada da...da da, it's a crying shame. Cornbag was another goody by HLAH. 3Ds as well (outer space the big tune) as other flying nun bands, straightjackit fits, the clean, gordans, bailterspace, etc. Was all happening down in Dunedin in those days.

I start a campaign to have it played whenever the all blacks score a try at Twickenham in reposte to the apalling Tom Hark and less apalling Chelsea Dagger.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Thu 26 Jul 2012 - 13:52

Linebreaker wrote:
anotherworldofpain wrote:Two glorious weeks of not get a ban, or warned to shut up! I miss her like a hole in the head. Whistle

Yeah, you sure make a lot of hay when the sun is shining. Very Happy

That was a little heavy handed I thought. A little more respect should have been shown and less of a knee-jerk reaction (like that Rugby Show episode) would have been better.

Speak about which. RD goes on holiday and the sun comes out. Coincidence?

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Thu 26 Jul 2012 - 13:53

mystiroakey wrote:

whatthe.................................................

JPS Experience! The Verlaines!

Actually the English band "Hefner" remind me a lot of Dunedin music.

Last edited by anotherworldofpain on Thu 26 Jul 2012 - 13:54; edited 1 time in total

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 26 Jul 2012 - 13:54

Laugh I'm no meteorologist-psychologist... I think I am in a similar profession to you!

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next