The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Britain produces great....

3 posters

Go down

Britain produces great.... Empty Britain produces great....

Post by sittingringside Sat 21 Jul 2012, 10:04 pm

With his recent storming comeback win over Lucian Bute, Carl Froch has become the second really memorable Super Middleweight champion from these isles, after Calzaghe, in just a handful of years. Back along just a little way, Collins, Eubank and Benn were both title holders in the division, and looking towards the future it is easy to imagine one or both of Degale and Groves picking up a strap in the division. Given the champions The U.K has produced already in what is a very young division it seems that super-middleweight might actually be becoming a bit of a signature British and Irish division, in the same way that the heavyweight division is traditionally an American staple (the last decade being the exception). The U.K has a great tradition in other weights also, notably at flyweight, and I'd like to hear some opinions on what you consider to be our historically strongest for producing fighters of quality.

Last edited by sittingringside on Sat 21 Jul 2012, 11:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

sittingringside

Back to top Go down

Britain produces great.... Empty Re: Britain produces great....

Post by Snakeyman123 Sat 21 Jul 2012, 10:46 pm

Don't know if he has been deliberately ignored, or you are a WUM but clearly Calzaghe warrants a mention here..........

Snakeyman123

Back to top Go down

Post by sittingringside Sat 21 Jul 2012, 11:06 pm

"Carl Froch has become the second really memorable Super Middleweight champion from these isles in just a handful of years"

I assumed everyone would know that was a reference to Calzaghe, but I will edit to prevent confusion.

sittingringside

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Sat 21 Jul 2012, 11:07 pm

sittingringside wrote:With his recent storming comeback win over Lucian Bute, Carl Froch has become the second really memorable Super Middleweight champion from these isles in just a handful of years. Back along just a little way, Collins, Eubank and Benn were both title holders in the division, and looking towards the future it is easy to imagine one or both of Degale and Groves picking up a strap in the division. Given the champions The U.K has produced already in what is a very young division it seems that super-middleweight might actually be becoming a bit of a signature British and Irish division, in the same way that the heavyweight division is traditionally an American staple (the last decade being the exception). The U.K has a great tradition in other weights also, notably at flyweight, and I'd like to hear some opinions on what you consider to be our historically strongest for producing fighters of quality.

I'm guessing Calzaghe was the first.........

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by sittingringside Sat 21 Jul 2012, 11:08 pm

you deduce correctly

sittingringside

Back to top Go down

Post by Snakeyman123 Sat 21 Jul 2012, 11:17 pm

sittingringside wrote:"Carl Froch has become the second really memorable Super Middleweight champion from these isles in just a handful of years"

I assumed everyone would know that was a reference to Calzaghe, but I will edit to prevent confusion.

Apologies....

Snakeyman123

Back to top Go down

Post by sittingringside Sat 21 Jul 2012, 11:21 pm

None required, I should have been more explicit

sittingringside

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Sat 21 Jul 2012, 11:22 pm

I know, I was just pointing that point out to our friend. To answer your question, probably Flyweight would the one I would suggest. In the first half of the last century Britain dominated Flyweight like no other. From Wilde through to Lynch, Kane,Monaghan, Patterson and Allen, Britain and Ireland throughly dominated.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by sittingringside Sat 21 Jul 2012, 11:39 pm

6oldenbhoy wrote:I know, I was just pointing that point out to our friend. To answer your question, probably Flyweight would the one I would suggest. In the first half of the last century Britain dominated Flyweight like no other. From Wilde through to Lynch, Kane,Monaghan, Patterson and Allen, Britain and Ireland throughly dominated.

That is a truly impressive list. Most of those names would make at least my top 25 at the weight. I would also add Terry Spinks to that list for his Olympic win, Britain's only Gold medal at the weight. We've seen the succession line of Great U.K flyweight boxers dry up a bit in the latter half of the century, with Asian and Hispanic fighters dominating. Perhaps this is down to the general increase in the average size of the British population decreasing the talent pool?

sittingringside

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Sat 21 Jul 2012, 11:54 pm

I wouldn't say the increase in size is the main factor in the decline of British and Irish supremacy at the weight. I'd say it's more to do with the fact that boxing is more Worldwide these days, and countries are more accessable than in the early 20th century. At amateur level Britain and Ireland are still well represented at the lower weights, with Selby and Conlan two of the favourites at flyweight at the coming Olympics. But with Air travel being so accessable these days, fighters do not have to go to Britain or America to establish themselves as top contenders.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down